CSNbbs
Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Big12bbs (/forum-260.html)
+---- Forum: Big 12 Team Talk (/forum-783.html)
+----- Forum: The Gregory A. Ruehlmann Sr. Memorial Cincinnati Board (/forum-404.html)
+----- Thread: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? (/thread-897534.html)

RE: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - OKIcat - 05-13-2020 09:46 AM

Well, whatever decisions are made about football fan attendance in Nippert will probably reflect the prevailing mode of operation in major college football this fall. My seats at Nippert are "cozy". In other words, we're shoulder to shoulder. It's part of the charm of an old stadium that really rocks with a full house.

Having attended the UC game at Michigan a couple of years ago, it's a similar experience there--tight and certainly not compliant with May standards for social distancing. Will they allow 110,000 in the Big House less than four months from now?

So back to the thread title: I say yes, there will be college football. But the secondary question is, "Will we only see it from our TV screens?" and to me that's a definite maybe.

RE: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - doss2 - 05-13-2020 01:45 PM

Former Florida WR expects NCAA split from conferences
ByNick Kosko May 12, 11:25 AM

Ever since NCAA President Mark Emmert put out a statement saying no students on campus means no student athletes, many blasted the NCAA leader. Many attribute the NCAA’s ultimate lack of power when it comes to, at the minimum, the Power Five conferences making decisions.
College football commentator Paul Finebaum believes Emmert is speaking out of tongue and thinks a separation of powers, so to speak, is coming soon. Count former Florida Gators wide receiver, turned commentator Chris Doering among those.
Speaking on SEC Radio on Sirius XM, Doering believes Emmert is losing power with the NCAA and that the Power Five conferences are eventually going to do their own thing and make their own decisions.

“Here’s the thing I'm thinking about,” Doering said. “As I’m listening to the sound of Mark Emmert, the visual I’m seeing in my head over and over again is that part of the ‘Wizard of Oz’ where Toto pulls the curtain back and he’s like I'm the great and powerful Oz, pay no attention to the man behind the curtain. It's all a facade. I think people will start to figure out this idea that the NCAA and Mark Emmert are all going away. All we’re hearing is power five conference commissioners and athletic directors having their own plan. It really doesn't matter what the NCAA says. I think eventually you’ll see as a catalyst here...a complete break off of the power five from the NCAA. They're already doing their own thing with the college football playoffs. I think the complete separation is very close.”
Emmert’s comments were not received well, and understandably so. While optimism was slowly starting to grow about the 2020 football season, the face of the NCAA did all he could to shoot that optimism down. And it was a move that Finebaum greatly criticized on Get Up! on Monday morning.
“Mark Emmert has no more authority or influence over college football than Bozo the Clown,” Finebaum said. “He is an innocent bystander in all of this and I think that’s why he put out a statement. This wasn’t an interview. He put it out himself because he was listening to all of the things that Laura just got through talking about. We moved, three weeks ago, from no students on campus, no fans in the stands, no football, to a modification of that. Emmert had to be heard, so he was, and he was not heard very loudly, because the five Power Five commissioners don’t give a rip.”
Considering there are a lot of references to clowns and fantasy worlds such as “The Land of Oz,” Emmert caused quite a stir in the college football community.

Emmert’s comments on football raise questions if fans are able to watch the games in person or even if football can be played this season. There are a lot of rumored options for the season, such as a shortened or delayed season, in order to play football. There is an argument for no football unless the campuses are open to all students and not just the student athletes, putting them in harm's way due to the coronavirus pandemic.
However, most major universities will acknowledge the biggest money maker of their athletic departments and one of, if not the biggest money maker for the entire university: the football program. Financially, most of these schools can not sustain a lost football season in 2020.
With states beginning their reopening processes, albeit slowly, the optimism is growing about college football in the fall. However, no concrete decisions were made in regards to the upcoming season, despite downward trends in the coronavirus pandemic as it appears way too early to make a final decision a little less than four months out.

RE: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - crex043 - 05-13-2020 05:09 PM

(05-13-2020 01:45 PM)doss2 Wrote:  Former Florida WR expects NCAA split from conferences
ByNick Kosko May 12, 11:25 AM

Ever since NCAA President Mark Emmert put out a statement saying no students on campus means no student athletes, many blasted the NCAA leader. Many attribute the NCAA’s ultimate lack of power when it comes to, at the minimum, the Power Five conferences making decisions.
College football commentator Paul Finebaum believes Emmert is speaking out of tongue and thinks a separation of powers, so to speak, is coming soon. Count former Florida Gators wide receiver, turned commentator Chris Doering among those.
Speaking on SEC Radio on Sirius XM, Doering believes Emmert is losing power with the NCAA and that the Power Five conferences are eventually going to do their own thing and make their own decisions.

“Here’s the thing I'm thinking about,” Doering said. “As I’m listening to the sound of Mark Emmert, the visual I’m seeing in my head over and over again is that part of the ‘Wizard of Oz’ where Toto pulls the curtain back and he’s like I'm the great and powerful Oz, pay no attention to the man behind the curtain. It's all a facade. I think people will start to figure out this idea that the NCAA and Mark Emmert are all going away. All we’re hearing is power five conference commissioners and athletic directors having their own plan. It really doesn't matter what the NCAA says. I think eventually you’ll see as a catalyst here...a complete break off of the power five from the NCAA. They're already doing their own thing with the college football playoffs. I think the complete separation is very close.”
Emmert’s comments were not received well, and understandably so. While optimism was slowly starting to grow about the 2020 football season, the face of the NCAA did all he could to shoot that optimism down. And it was a move that Finebaum greatly criticized on Get Up! on Monday morning.
“Mark Emmert has no more authority or influence over college football than Bozo the Clown,” Finebaum said. “He is an innocent bystander in all of this and I think that’s why he put out a statement. This wasn’t an interview. He put it out himself because he was listening to all of the things that Laura just got through talking about. We moved, three weeks ago, from no students on campus, no fans in the stands, no football, to a modification of that. Emmert had to be heard, so he was, and he was not heard very loudly, because the five Power Five commissioners don’t give a rip.”
Considering there are a lot of references to clowns and fantasy worlds such as “The Land of Oz,” Emmert caused quite a stir in the college football community.

Emmert’s comments on football raise questions if fans are able to watch the games in person or even if football can be played this season. There are a lot of rumored options for the season, such as a shortened or delayed season, in order to play football. There is an argument for no football unless the campuses are open to all students and not just the student athletes, putting them in harm's way due to the coronavirus pandemic.
However, most major universities will acknowledge the biggest money maker of their athletic departments and one of, if not the biggest money maker for the entire university: the football program. Financially, most of these schools can not sustain a lost football season in 2020.
With states beginning their reopening processes, albeit slowly, the optimism is growing about college football in the fall. However, no concrete decisions were made in regards to the upcoming season, despite downward trends in the coronavirus pandemic as it appears way too early to make a final decision a little less than four months out.
I sure hope they do split. Because if they do, they'll have no right to deny the schools (UC) who want to pony up.

RE: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - CliftonAve - 05-13-2020 05:47 PM

AD Cunningham told Fox 19 we will be preparing to play in the fall.

RE: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - UCGrad1992 - 05-13-2020 07:04 PM

[Image: giphy.gif]
[Image: giphy.gif]

RE: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - rosewater - 05-13-2020 07:25 PM

(05-13-2020 05:47 PM)CliftonAve Wrote:  AD Cunningham told Fox 19 we will be preparing to play in the fall.

Yeah Baby!

RE: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - mptnstr@44 - 05-13-2020 08:21 PM

If there is a college football season I believe it will be without fans in the stands.
There is no way you can get people in and out of a stadium and social distance.
Fans can't sit shoulder to shoulder for 3-4 hours and not spread Covid19.

But if I'm totally honest…I don't think there will be a season at all. No students on campus = no sports.

UC, for the time being, must go forward with prep for a season because as of right now the season has not been canceled so I wouldn't read much into their preparing other than they have to prepare.

RE: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - UCGrad1992 - 05-13-2020 09:38 PM

I posted the "show me the money" gif from the perspective that ultimately money wins. Make that big money...wins out every time vs financial pain or ruin. If a college football season is not played AT ALL in 2020/21, coupled with the revenue loss of the NCAA tournament just a few months back, then the financial damage would be irreparable to universities. It's already starting to happen to some institutions. Can the universities continue to exist with no football season - yes. But not in their current forms. A reconstitution structurally, administratively, and finanically would be in order. Go one step further - many college town communities that aren't big metro areas are dependent economically on college football. It's no different than beach communities. Close beaches down and all the travel/tourism/employment/tax dollars tied to it goes down too.

I guarantee you short of "marshall law prohibition," they will play a season sooner or later in some way, shape, or form. The worst case scenario is the season will be played in the spring. Many articles I've read [and posted], including comments from our own commissioner, is the spring scheduling option was gaining traction as universities consider different scenarios. America loves its sports - whether that is right or wrong - and it's woven in the very fabric of our souls, our institutions, and our enconomy. There's just too much at stake financially long term to cancel the college football season [and other professional sports for that matter] indefinitely.

RE: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - dubcat14 - 05-13-2020 10:32 PM

(05-13-2020 05:47 PM)CliftonAve Wrote:  AD Cunningham told Fox 19 we will be preparing to play in the fall.

https://www.fox19.com/2020/05/13/uc-athletic-director-fox-now-were-planning-play-football/

here's the link..

TLDR:
“We all believe we’re going to play football,” said Cunningham. “We’re planning to play football. We think that’s going to happen."

"The virus is going to dictate the timeline in which we can get our football team on campus and back practicing. We’re going to follow the rules and be in communication with other schools and states and officials, but we know how important it is to play football in the fall and we believe that’s going to happen.”

RE: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - Ragpicker - 05-14-2020 05:16 AM

(05-13-2020 09:38 PM)UCGrad1992 Wrote:  I posted the "show me the money" gif from the perspective that ultimately money wins. Make that big money...wins out every time vs financial pain or ruin. If a college football season is not played AT ALL in 2020/21, coupled with the revenue loss of the NCAA tournament just a few months back, then the financial damage would be irreparable to universities. It's already starting to happen to some institutions. Can the universities continue to exist with no football season - yes. But not in their current forms. A reconstitution structurally, administratively, and finanically would be in order. Go one step further - many college town communities that aren't big metro areas are dependent economically on college football. It's no different than beach communities. Close beaches down and all the travel/tourism/employment/tax dollars tied to it goes down too.

I guarantee you short of "marshall law prohibition," they will play a season sooner or later in some way, shape, or form. The worst case scenario is the season will be played in the spring. Many articles I've read [and posted], including comments from our own commissioner, is the spring scheduling option was gaining traction as universities consider different scenarios. America loves its sports - whether that is right or wrong - and it's woven in the very fabric of our souls, our institutions, and our enconomy. There's just too much at stake financially long term to cancel the college football season [and other professional sports for that matter] indefinitely.

Most public and virtually all private Universities must have students on campus in the Fall or they will suffer huge financial losses. When students come back - football will surely follow.

RE: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - OKIcat - 05-14-2020 07:37 AM

(05-14-2020 05:16 AM)Ragpicker Wrote:  
(05-13-2020 09:38 PM)UCGrad1992 Wrote:  I posted the "show me the money" gif from the perspective that ultimately money wins. Make that big money...wins out every time vs financial pain or ruin. If a college football season is not played AT ALL in 2020/21, coupled with the revenue loss of the NCAA tournament just a few months back, then the financial damage would be irreparable to universities. It's already starting to happen to some institutions. Can the universities continue to exist with no football season - yes. But not in their current forms. A reconstitution structurally, administratively, and finanically would be in order. Go one step further - many college town communities that aren't big metro areas are dependent economically on college football. It's no different than beach communities. Close beaches down and all the travel/tourism/employment/tax dollars tied to it goes down too.

Most public and virtually all private Universities must have students on campus in the Fall or they will suffer huge financial losses. When students come back - football will surely follow.

I agree. But I was shocked that the Cal State system pulled the plug this early on students returning to campus in the fall. With the exception of San Diego State and maybe Fresno State, few of those schools are competitive in football. But those conferences now have a big hole in their scheduling.

My belief is we should keep an eye on Columbus. Whatever OSU decides, I expect the rest of the Ohio public universities will follow. And I'd be very surprised if OSU shuts down campus and, as a result, Buckeye football. Fans in the stands remains a TBD.

And just think, if fans aren't allowed in the stands, UC would lose it's tremendous home field advantage in Oxford this fall. Rimshot

RE: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - BearcatMan - 05-14-2020 08:14 AM

(05-14-2020 07:37 AM)OKIcat Wrote:  

I agree. But I was shocked that the Cal State system pulled the plug this early on students returning to campus in the fall. With the exception of San Diego State and maybe Fresno State, few of those schools are competitive in football. But those conferences now have a big hole in their scheduling.

My belief is we should keep an eye on Columbus. Whatever OSU decides, I expect the rest of the Ohio public universities will follow. And I'd be very surprised if OSU shuts down campus and, as a result, Buckeye football. Fans in the stands remains a TBD.

And just think, if fans aren't allowed in the stands, UC would lose it's tremendous home field advantage in Oxford this fall. Rimshot

California is an odd duck within Higher Education. They likely won't even face cuts due to the significant float money in the state budget for each institution...plus, with news that LA County just renewed their stay at home order for another 3 months, it wouldn't have mattered much anyways.

Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - Cataclysmo - 05-15-2020 01:01 PM

Looks like the SEC will vote on May 22 on reopening facilities. That would be a big step.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

RE: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - UCGrad1992 - 05-15-2020 02:28 PM

My wife is a high school guidance counselor and she told me today our school district is considering an option to divide students in two groups to reduce class size and the number of students on each campus at any one time starting in the fall. The idea is something along the lines of student "Group A" is scheduled for classes on Mondays, Wednesday, and Fridays. Student "Group B" is scheduled on Tuesdays and Thursdays. The following week it would be reversed and so on. I don't know how that may translate to higher education due to the variety of class schedules but it seems to be a potential way to reduce risk and have students on campus in the fall.

RE: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - BearcatMan - 05-15-2020 02:40 PM

(05-15-2020 02:28 PM)UCGrad1992 Wrote:  My wife is a high school guidance counselor and she told me today our school district is considering an option to divide students in two groups to reduce class size and the number of students on each campus at any one time starting in the fall. The idea is something along the lines of student "Group A" is scheduled for classes on Mondays, Wednesday, and Fridays. Student "Group B" is scheduled on Tuesdays and Thursdays. The following week it would be reversed and so on. I don't know how that may translate to higher education due to the variety of class schedules but it seems to be a potential way to reduce risk and have students on campus in the fall.

That's not your district...that's the state BoE. That has been the talk of many districts in my neck of the woods too....and the groups would meet twice a week with Fridays not being an instructional day for either group under the state's advisement.

Hell, there is a contingency in place up at UT to have 40% of classes offered on campus and 60% offered online this Fall Semester should the state not hit 14 consecutive days of case decline by August.

RE: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - Dannyboy - 05-15-2020 02:44 PM

My kid is scheduled to go to OU next year for her Drama BFA. You can’t do drama online. It’s a major that requires literal hands on instruction. And the BFA means most of her classes are in her art other than a handful of prerequisites. If they decide to do remote learning she may as well not go at all. Hopefully these administrators make exceptions for programs like that.

RE: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - BearcatMan - 05-15-2020 02:54 PM

(05-15-2020 02:44 PM)Dannyboy Wrote:  My kid is scheduled to go to OU next year for her Drama BFA. You can’t do drama online. It’s a major that requires literal hands on instruction. And the BFA means most of her classes are in her art other than a handful of prerequisites. If they decide to do remote learning she may as well not go at all. Hopefully these administrators make exceptions for programs like that.

It's kind of out of the admin's hands at this point...the State is distributing their guidance and the Universities have to follow it. Congrats to your daughter by the way...that's a good drama program down there in Athens.

RE: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - Captain Bearcat - 05-15-2020 05:03 PM

(05-14-2020 07:37 AM)OKIcat Wrote:  

As a former employee of the Cal State system... this doesn't surprise me at all.

The Cal State system is run by a laughably inefficient yet ruthless bureaucracy that is answerable to no one except trial lawyers and their own unions. And California is so litigious that they are probably scared to death of any potential COVID lawsuit.

RE: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - bearcatlawjd2 - 05-16-2020 02:00 PM

If someone can explain to me what a college is going to do the first time they get a Covid-19 cluster please do tell. I just can't see how they play football let alone with fans this fall. The primary mission is educate students they can still do that online and open up later when we have a treatment or vaccine. I can't how selfish and money hungry this nation is, its actually very sad.

RE: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - Bearcat 1985 - 05-16-2020 02:03 PM

Northwestern Prez said he expects all 14 Big Ten schools to field teams this year, which is encouraging.