CSNbbs
Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Big12bbs (/forum-260.html)
+---- Forum: Big 12 Team Talk (/forum-783.html)
+----- Forum: The Gregory A. Ruehlmann Sr. Memorial Cincinnati Board (/forum-404.html)
+----- Thread: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? (/thread-897534.html)

RE: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - namrag - 04-28-2020 09:15 AM

New data yesterday from the Hoover Institute out of Stanford...

The good news:

-Statistics out of New York State show that 99.2% of deaths in that state were in patients with at least 1 risk factor.

-88% of hospitalizations in that state were in patients with 2 or more risk factors.

So healthy people without risk factors have very little to worry about.

The bad news:

-60% of the US population have at least 1 risk factor.

-40% of the US population have 2 or more risk factors.

RE: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - Cat-Man - 04-28-2020 09:24 AM

(04-28-2020 08:59 AM)Bear Catlett Wrote:  
(04-28-2020 08:35 AM)Cataclysmo Wrote:  You know, Google scholar made all coronavirus publications free during this pandemic. You could try reading the actual scientific literature that goes in to these reports, instead of waiting for journalist to frame the results for their own respective media outlets.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

I don't know that journalists even exist anymore.

However, while I was more or less just supporting Jeff's take on the media, I do agree that it would behoove everyone to do their best to gather all information available to make their own decisions rather than just believe what they're being told.

This x1000!

Reading all the posts of people just repeating Republican/Democrat talking points or the media's slanted narratives make me want to bang my head against the wall. 03-banghead

RE: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - RealDeal - 04-28-2020 09:27 AM

(04-28-2020 09:15 AM)namrag Wrote:  New data yesterday from the Hoover Institute out of Stanford...

The good news:

-Statistics out of New York State show that 99.2% of deaths in that state were in patients with at least 1 risk factor.

-88% of hospitalizations in that state were in patients with 2 or more risk factors.

The bad news:

Thanks, great info.

I think this is the basic trend on where the data is heading. Based on that I think that those of us who don't have any of the risk factors should be able to operate as normal while taking extra precautions in public. Those with multiple risk factors should probably avoid unnecessary contacts but again in a free country if they knowing accept the risk that should be their choice.

I'm in favor of a pretty broad reopening with the exceptions of arena/stadium events, theaters, and probably requiring restaurants go every other table for the time being.

RE: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - EffinBJ - 04-28-2020 01:28 PM

Nooooooo. "Gather the info for yourself and make your own conclusions" is NOT wise, whether for you or a news anchor or your favorite politician. Doctors and Medical Researchers. Listen to them. And believe it or not, news media, legitimate new media, does talk to them. They're quoted, their research cited. What happens when laypeople try to "reach their own conclusions"? We get the idiotic "common sense" fallacies. If you're not careful you can get information directly from an expert and come to the conclusion that injecting disinfectant is a good idea.

- it's April, and it just snowed! Climate change is a hoax!
No, that's the weather. Weather is not climate.

-The seasonal flu kills about this many!
No. The seasonal flu is less than 1/4 as deadly, is deadly to a smaller portion of the population. On average the infected pass it on to half the number of people as covid-19 (all figures CDC and WHO) And this death toll we're experiencing is WITH the social distancing and quarantine measures in place. Things we do not do for the flu.

- Smoking kills 500k a year and we don't close the schools and cancel March Madness!
Let me know when you can catch Emphysema at the grocery store because I'll definitely mask up, and more likely just get them delivered.

You know what virus scares people? Ebola. And why not? Mortality rates in underdeveloped countries run 50-90%. You die by bleeding out from every orifice on your body, including your eyes. Now that's a virus! Check out the news channel coverage back in 2014 when a few cases were brought back to the US (they all lived). Well guess what - Ebola is less communicable than Coronovirus. You need direct contact with bodily fluids of the infected - not air droplets or surface touch residue on a countertop. And it's most communicable at the end, when the afflicted are bedridden and bleeding out. You wouldn't catch ebola at a Knicks game. You catch it by tending to the dead or dying. In effect, Covid-19 is a way, way worse pandemic to America to experience than EBOLA would be.

Now, let me spend a moment on my own experience with coronavirus. Which I almost certainly had, or even still have - I wouldn't be able to get a test if I tried due to continued shortages and because I am, and have been completely asymptomatic. My wife has been sick with it for a month now. I've absolutely been exposed by her, either before she had any symptoms, or during the three days a week ago that she seemed recovered, when many celebratory kisses and hugs were shared before the virus came roaring back. That does not mean you could not or cannot have caught it from me. It just means I was lucky enough not to experience the fevers, the chills, the coughing, the glassy lung structures, the blood clotting, strokes, or heart attacks - though apparently I remain at risk for the last three, something I know thanks to discoveries doctors are making right now - and that hated news media is reporting on. That's the thing - we still don't know much about this and won't for some time.

She got the fevers. The cough. The extreme difficulty breathing. She developed Aphasia. Forgets what she's doing or loses balance if she gets up to use the restroom. It could be from mini strokes, or blood clotting. Her Neurologist believes it's from swollen blood vessels in her brain. The only way to tell which it is? Scan her brain. Her Neurologist ordered one, but so far three MRI centers have all declined to do so. They're calling it an elective procedure. If it's vessel swelling, the brain function will recover. If it's a clot or strokes, she could drop dead at any moment without treatment such as blood thinners. Did any of you know about those symptoms or dangers six weeks ago? I know you didn't, no one did, but then I saw them with my own eyes in the person of my 38 year old wife. Did any of you know about them before you read this post? It's been in newspapers in the last week or so since physicians started making the connections. If you do that's why, not because you were on Google Scholar.

What are you most proud of as a UC supporter? Oscar, 61/62? The Huggs final four and Kenyon years? 12-0? All great, and why we bother to tune in to games and turn up here to argue. But a more substantial accomplishment we should all be proud of would be the work of UC's Albert Sabin, work that effectively eradicated Polio. Measles, on the other hand, is back - because some laypeople "deciding for themselves" misinterpreted information (the anti-vaxxers). Much like these "live free or die" protesters, or the President. That guy, doubtless half listening to his experts explain how coronavirus particles can be killed on surfaces outside the body by sunlight or disinfectants, common-senses his way to musing about the potential use of strong lights and disinfectant injections to cure people. Unless you believe his explanation that he was joking, which is even worse.

I can't pick up the latest copy of the New England Journal of Medicine and gain the same insights a Doctor would. But I can listen to Dr. Fauci when it comes to when it is safe to relax restrictions. I can't look at an electrical diagram and build one of UC alum Vinod Dham's Pentium Processors. Any more than you could pick up a copy of PC Magazine and do my job tomorrow. But you can and should be informed about this. Politics is separate. Come to your own conclusions about subjective issues like economic policy or why Xavier s**ks. The message to all of you thinking your way through this, and science in general is - stop. Stop politicizing science. Stop thinking that the news media are all as craven and bias as MSNBC, Fox, OAN and CNN. Television and journalism have been incompatible for at least thirty years. But you have to educate yourself somewhere, and it isn't twitter or facebook. Journalism can do you the service of distilling massive amounts of raw data, provided it is done through the proxy of actual experts (Dr. Phill is not a physician), and is properly cited from credible sources.

I know I've stepped all over the third rail by calling Trump an id**t. It's hard to miss that this forum is as red as its page borders. I try to hold my tongue unless the more abject forms of racism pop up, and then only because I'll be damned if the C-paw starts being associated with casual hate. This, however, literally hits too close to home, and bad decisions taken by even a few can doom everyone else. Whenever the spread slows down sufficiently, and things start to open up, we'll all still have to socially distance carefully until there is a vaccine. Only then can we fill the Nip or catch a movie in safety. The virus cannot be bargained with. Push the timelines due to political or economic expediency, or because you miss sports of all things, and you do so at the peril of absolutely everyone.

Stay safe. You do not want this virus in your home.

RE: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - Cataclysmo - 04-28-2020 03:05 PM

Well said. I hope your wife is feeling better as this has prolonged.

I do contest your point that you can't pick up the literature and understand it. You might not get it in the same way that doctors and scientists do, but the hallmark of good research is that it is articulated in such a way that even the simplest of minds can understand it. Likewise, the prominence of Fauci (something like 73% of Americans trust him) is largely a byproduct of his ability to convey complex medical findings to the general public.

In general, it's a good skill to be able to identify trustworthy sources and understand their perspective with rational skepticism. I think the issue is that many in this country have decided they either don't trust the experts at all, or they don't trust the media at all. It's total naivety in the face of a global catastrophe.

RE: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - ZCat - 04-30-2020 11:54 AM

(04-26-2020 01:16 PM)Ragpicker Wrote:  
(04-26-2020 12:55 PM)bearcatlawjd2 Wrote:  
(04-26-2020 12:19 PM)Ragpicker Wrote:  Nebraska announced that it will be opening campus up for Fall semester. And as you can read from this article, so have many other schools including P5 North Carolina State, Iowa, Arizona, Oklahoma, and Wake Forest.

There are many schools that are quoted as "leaning" towards opening in for the Fall semester, including that school in Columbus.

If students are on campus, you can bet football will be played.

https://www.chronicle.com/article/Here-s-a-List-of-Colleges-/248626

I have no idea how this can be done without a vaccine. Is Covid-19 just going to go away in four months? This looks a disaster because I doubt college students will social distance and wear a mask, let alone maintain good hygiene. Will faculty and staff be on board with this? I just don't understand why we as a society continue to rush opening up things without carefully thought out coordination across the country. Listen to science, not politicians or business leaders.

Listen to science....
Will you take some time to listen to real front line doctors? Not the media, politicians, and ivory tower academic medical people.

https://youtu.be/xfLVxx_lBLU
Video was removed. What was it saying ?

RE: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - InspectorHound - 04-30-2020 12:37 PM

It was a Bakersfield urgent care doctor failing at basic arithmetic

RE: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - ladeda - 04-30-2020 01:30 PM

" I just don't understand why we as a society continue to rush opening up things without carefully thought out coordination across the country. Listen to science, not politicians or business leaders."

Someone explain this to me. WE can still go out, but only to essential places. I get it, the govn wants to limit our movement and not go to a ton of stores. But where are you most likely to get CV from right now? A crowded grocery store, or a non crowded retail store?

Also someone explain this to me. Right now, if you go to Kroger-- only about 1/2 of the people will be wearing face masks. It seems to me that this half a$$ lockdown really isn't that effective. We have stores open and people without masks on.

Change my mind. Having all stores open, but requiring people to wear face masks (temporarily) will be more effective than the current situation of having half the stores open where half the people are wearing face masks.

(It will be tough to change my mind, since I've seen how in S Korea, they wear masks and they are smart enough to wash their hands after taking the mask off and this has helped to prevent the spread.)

RE: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - BearcatsUC - 04-30-2020 10:23 PM

When I have the time, I listen to this guy for updates. Was good at keeping me abreast early:

https://youtu.be/QwXM821iBrI

One thing I’ve noticed is that so many question the covid numbers, but I haven’t seen anyone question the oft-quoted flu deaths. The flu death number is just an estimate, but people quote it like gospel truth.

RE: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - converrl - 05-01-2020 07:20 AM

(04-28-2020 09:27 AM)RealDeal Wrote:  
(04-28-2020 09:15 AM)namrag Wrote:  New data yesterday from the Hoover Institute out of Stanford...

The good news:

The bad news:

Thanks, great info.

I think this is the basic trend on where the data is heading. Based on that I think that those of us who don't have any of the risk factors should be able to operate as normal while taking extra precautions in public. Those with multiple risk factors should probably avoid unnecessary contacts but again in a free country if they knowing accept the risk that should be their choice.

I'm in favor of a pretty broad reopening with the exceptions of arena/stadium events, theaters, and probably requiring restaurants go every other table for the time being.

I'll just throw this little monkey wrench into ALL these numbers:

1. The numbers out of China are garbage
2. Currently, at least in the US, people who die BECAUSE of the virus are being lumped in with people who die DURING infection with the virus from other causes. Part of the reason for this is INSURANCE.

The likely outcome of adjusting the current numbers will be a significant drop in the world-wide mortality rate.

Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - Cataclysmo - 05-01-2020 07:39 AM

You think China is fudging their numbers yet the worldwide mortality rate is LOWER than what's being reported?

RE: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - converrl - 05-01-2020 10:45 AM

(05-01-2020 07:39 AM)Cataclysmo Wrote:  You think China is fudging their numbers yet the worldwide mortality rate is LOWER than what's being reported?

Honestly...I don't know that China even KEPT numbers. What I hear is that in the early stages they simply killed people who had symptoms of the disease and burned the bodies.

Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - Cataclysmo - 05-01-2020 12:01 PM

Okay so how did that lead you to the conclusion that the worldwide numbers are underreported? There were estimates that the death toll in Wuhan was upwards of 40,000 greater than what was reported by the Chinese government.

RE: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - ladeda - 05-01-2020 01:40 PM

(05-01-2020 12:01 PM)Cataclysmo Wrote:  Okay so how did that lead you to the conclusion that the worldwide numbers are underreported? There were estimates that the death toll in Wuhan was upwards of 40,000 greater than what was reported by the Chinese government.

# of cases will be under reported by every Country, because no Country is able to test their entire population. People with mild cases aren't getting tested and people with no symptoms aren't getting tested.

RE: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - Cataclysmo - 05-01-2020 02:55 PM

(05-01-2020 01:40 PM)ladeda Wrote:  
(05-01-2020 12:01 PM)Cataclysmo Wrote:  Okay so how did that lead you to the conclusion that the worldwide numbers are underreported? There were estimates that the death toll in Wuhan was upwards of 40,000 greater than what was reported by the Chinese government.

# of cases will be under reported by every Country, because no Country is able to test their entire population. People with mild cases aren't getting tested and people with no symptoms aren't getting tested.

That's what I would think as well. I'm not sure why people think there's some grand conspiracy in which every country in the world is just deliberately inflating their mortality rates. What would they gain from that?

RE: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - Bear Catlett - 05-01-2020 03:19 PM

(05-01-2020 02:55 PM)Cataclysmo Wrote:  
(05-01-2020 01:40 PM)ladeda Wrote:  

That's what I would think as well. I'm not sure why people think there's some grand conspiracy in which every country in the world is just deliberately inflating their mortality rates. What would they gain from that?

Fear.

RE: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - converrl - 05-01-2020 03:41 PM

You are confusing the mortality rate with the number of cases. Mortality rate is number of people dead DUE TO THE VIRUS. Infection rate is the result of testing. This makes it even more likely that the mortality rate is actually LOWER than reported.

RE: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - doss2 - 05-01-2020 05:34 PM

I think it is funny listening to people talking about China when most have not been there. And yes I have because we built a factory there. When my CEO boss said you will need to spend a week there (30 miles outside Shanghai) every quarter I decide it was time to retire. Staying in a 5 star hotel and could not drink the water. The water ways made our Mill Creek seem pristine. The wet markets were repulsive. The Chinese drug stores were hideous.

RE: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - UCGrad1992 - 05-01-2020 05:34 PM

Speakin' of the OP, here's a very in-depth article from ESPN that's too long to post in its entirety...

Quote:With the coronavirus pandemic affecting sports calendars worldwide, conference commissioners and athletic directors across the United States are considering every alternative to college football's current Aug. 29 start date, including playing the entire season in the spring of 2021.

The worst-case scenario in college athletics would be canceling the entire season. It's a possibility decision-makers throughout the sport are determined to avoid while acknowledging it's something they can't fully control.

The people who ultimately will decide when college football returns will include federal government officials and state governors, plus the newly formed NCAA medical advisory panel and a host of NCAA subcommittees.

ESPN interviewed dozens of athletic directors, coaches and commissioners from the 10 Football Bowl Subdivision (FBS) conferences over the past few weeks about what the future might hold for college football based on their ongoing daily discussions, which change constantly as new information emerges. So far, the consensus is that while no one knows what will happen next, officials are determined to save the season in one way or another.

"There isn't a model I can run to fix the problem of not having any football," UCF athletic director Danny White said. "I don't think there's anybody in my position with a big football fan base that could make decisions to fix that. I don't know what happens -- there's not a model, there's not a solution, there's not an action I can take that's going to solve that problem."

Several conference commissioners told ESPN the first and most important step is determining when it's safe to reopen campuses -- a decision they said they will leave to medical experts and government officials. (Brown University's president wrote this week in The New York Times that opening campuses this fall should be a "national priority." Stanford's president, meanwhile, said Tuesday he does not expect a decision about the fall quarter until sometime in June.)

Among the scenarios under consideration: a shortened season in which leagues would primarily play conference games; a delayed start to a full fall season; a spring season; or starting on time, but without fans. There also could be some combination of these scenarios. Officials also are bracing for the possibility of what several have referred to as an "interrupted season," in which the season begins but has to stop because a second wave of the virus hits. There's no specific timetable to make these decisions, but most coaches say they would need about two months to get their teams ready.

Miami coach Manny Diaz might have summed up the entire situation best.

"We all know what we want, but we've encountered something that's unprecedented," Diaz said. "We have to play it out and see what we can get. That's the difference. Let's see how good we can get it. I believe we'll all be appreciative for whatever we get."

There are many questions about what the season will look like when it actually begins. Among the most pressing: What if a full season cannot be played?

Every athletic director and coach we spoke to wants to do everything in their power to get in the entire season, and there are obvious reasons for that. Coaches do not want to take away playing opportunities from their players, especially since they have only 12 games to start with, far fewer than other sports.

What's more, the financial implications of playing a shortened season would be substantial, not only for Power 5 schools but also for FCS and Group of 5 programs that rely so heavily on guarantee nonconference games.

That becomes a much larger issue if a shortened season means going to a conference-only game scenario.

Notre Dame athletic director Jack Swarbrick said if the season has to be shortened, the easiest solution might be to make the reduction "calendar-based more than anything, like the first two weeks don't happen."

"I understand the importance of conference schedules, but [there are] complexities of trying to move games within the season as opposed to just doing it based off a calendar," Swarbrick said. "If you start saying, 'We're going to take this game and we were going to be in City X and we're moving it to a different date,' that's not easy to do from a travel, from an accommodations, from a fan/ticket sales dynamic."

According to ESPN Stats & Information, no major college football team has played a game between February and July since the 19th century. But a spring 2021 model likely avoids some obstacles a fall 2020 season carries. Campuses are expected to be open by then, and teams will have ample time to prepare after a long and strange layoff. Pushing back the season also buys time for improved testing, treatments and other developments that would make games safer for participants, stadium personnel and fans.

"[A spring schedule is] getting more and more discussion," Aresco said. "Would you be able to play right after the Super Bowl and play an eight- or 10-game schedule and still have a short playoff? You probably could, and you might try hard to do it because football is so important on a lot of levels, but the financial [impact] is huge."

A spring season likely would begin sometime in February and run through May, with postseason games in late May or June. The regular season would run concurrent with the NCAA basketball tournaments, and bowl games or the College Football Playoff could overlap with spring championships. Television schedules, including many involving ESPN, would have to be adjusted.

Another concern is how a spring season would affect the future, for college teams and players with NFL aspirations. Teams use the spring to spin forward: winter conditioning in January and February; practices in March and April; recruiting in May.

More recruits are enrolling midyear to capitalize on a full offseason program. How would a spring season affect them, or change roster and scholarship limits?

"Do you know how screwed up the football season would be if we started in February?" Pitt coach Pat Narduzzi said. "Are you going to play next September, too? You're running one season into another. You screwed up another spring, you never get back on track."

A spring season also impacts the NFL and players aspiring to reach the sport's top level. The entire NFL draft timeline -- the Senior Bowl and other competitions in January, scouting combine in late February, individual pro days in March, draft in April -- would likely move back significantly. Would there even be a combine? Would the NFL hold its draft during the college postseason, like Major League Baseball does during the College World Series?

College football players regularly skip bowl games to preserve themselves for the draft. Would a player such as Clemson quarterback Trevor Lawrence really play in the spring when he'd be mere weeks away from a multimillion-dollar contract?

"Your guys that were either going to graduate or declare early, there would have to be some type of agreement with the NFL," Oklahoma coach Lincoln Riley said. "That's going to affect draft preparation."

Coaches and administrators currently are hyper-focused on athletes' health and safety regarding COVID-19, but there's a long-term risk to pushing back competition. A full spring 2021 season combined with a full fall 2021 season means players could log 24 regular-season games in 10 months or so. Add in postseason play, and the number of games for top teams approaches 30. Even if both seasons were shortened, players would have less time to rest and recharge, or rehabilitate from injuries.

"These kids would be beat to hell," Narduzzi said. "I don't think you can do it. These kids need a break. Think about the players' bodies."

Given all of the above, a spring season is viewed as a last resort, but the alternative could be even more disruptive.

"If we don't have college football, almost every athletic department is going to be bankrupt," a Power 5 coach said. "We support every other sport other than maybe men's basketball, so I would think every AD and every commissioner would do anything they can to have the season. For one year, if it's a nontraditional season, who cares?"

Read The Full Article Here

RE: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - converrl - 05-01-2020 06:19 PM

(05-01-2020 05:34 PM)doss2 Wrote:  I think it is funny listening to people talking about China when most have not been there. And yes I have because we built a factory there. When my CEO boss said you will need to spend a week there (30 miles outside Shanghai) every quarter I decide it was time to retire. Staying in a 5 star hotel and could not drink the water. The water ways made our Mill Creek seem pristine. The wet markets were repulsive. The Chinese drug stores were hideous.

Speaks volumes for the living conditions in any communist dictatorship.