CSNbbs
Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Big12bbs (/forum-260.html)
+---- Forum: Big 12 Team Talk (/forum-783.html)
+----- Forum: The Gregory A. Ruehlmann Sr. Memorial Cincinnati Board (/forum-404.html)
+----- Thread: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? (/thread-897534.html)

RE: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - converrl - 04-20-2020 06:24 PM

All ohio high schools ordered closed the remainder of the year. Colleges will be the next shoe to drop.

No FB, No BB.

RE: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - rath v2.0 - 04-20-2020 06:34 PM

(04-20-2020 06:21 PM)converrl Wrote:  
(04-20-2020 04:50 PM)rath v2.0 Wrote:  
(04-20-2020 10:53 AM)converrl Wrote:  
(04-20-2020 07:17 AM)rath v2.0 Wrote:  
(04-20-2020 06:54 AM)bearcatmark Wrote:  Oh we absolutely agree on that as well. We have to get the cases per day declining. We have to be careful in how we open and still minimize large gatherings / close contact. We really need contact tracing and expansive/ quick testing. But we can't just stay home forever and we won't. How we manage it is going to affect whether there is a second wave and how bad that second wave will be.

Only get one shot to roll thing back to normal. They throw a switch and this thing blows up 3 weeks later there is no putting the toothpaste back in the tube.

On the bright side, there is a part of me that is enjoining the quieter pace of the world right now. Granted, I live in a fairly rural area during the off season but I sat outside yesterday for an hour in the sunshine and didn’t hear a single man made sound except my own breathing and the sound of me popping open an IPA. No cars in the distance. No planes over head. No boats on the lake. None of the background drone we don’t even consciously hear most of the time because it’s always there.

And if we don't open back up, that will soon be followed by no food, no $$, no life.

Drama much?

World won’t end. Not this time at least.

How about if we stay closed for 2 years while they search for a vaccine? Would you sing a different tune?

Nope.

RE: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - Ragpicker - 04-20-2020 07:02 PM

(04-20-2020 06:24 PM)converrl Wrote:  All ohio high schools ordered closed the remainder of the year. Colleges will be the next shoe to drop.

No FB, No BB.

Many private colleges and universities will go bankrupt if classes don't open this Fall semester. Students and their parents are not going to pay $35k+ to sit at home and take online courses. Most of these places are not even accredited for online learning.

RE: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - Bear Catlett - 04-20-2020 07:11 PM

The order was for the remainder of the school year.

It has nothing to do with the next school year in the fall.

RE: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - QSECOFR - 04-20-2020 08:04 PM

I saw an interview with an M.D. from Tulane University this evening. He was asked several questions re: reopening the country. He gave the usual drab answers (e.g., must go slow, test everyone, track everyone).

He did surprise me when he said that there is no cost high enough if we can save just one life. Attorneys involved in civil litigation (which isn’t always civil) understand very clearly that there is a definable amount for each person’s life. Discounting punitive damages, I believe they look at a combination of age, earning ability, and the number of dependents a person has.

We seem to be in a position where very smart people (e.g., doctors) are giving AND making public policy that flies in the face of common sense. People like the good doctor who mean well are the ones who give me pause to be concerned for the future of the republic.

RE: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - Loco Bearcat - 04-20-2020 08:44 PM

(04-20-2020 09:44 AM)ucbandguy Wrote:  I am going to get colse to a rant here. I apologize in advance. It has become a bit personal for me now.

An acquaintance of mine died the other day from the Covid-19 virus. He was 50, nonsmoker, in good health otherwise. A good amateur musician, I played in the community band with him. He was not a "close" friend, but he was a really good guy.

His employer would not let him work from home, so after he used up the last of his vacation days, he drove up to Columbus to work. That was where he caught it. He suffered in the hospital for about 10 days, ending up on a ventilator. In his final hours, the doctors told his family that his lungs were totally wrecked.

My point is, it is not "just" old or sick people dying. (Yes, they die in much greater percentages.) The more we break isolation, the more "healthy" people will die.

I would love to see the country open back up. I would really like to go to some football games this fall. But we can't just pretend this pandemic isn't happening. Thankfully, most of you seem to recognize this.

I apologize again for my little rant, but it is personal now.

You have nothing to apologize for and I'm sorry for your loss.

RE: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - converrl - 04-20-2020 09:07 PM

(04-20-2020 06:34 PM)rath v2.0 Wrote:  
(04-20-2020 10:53 AM)converrl Wrote:  
(04-20-2020 07:17 AM)rath v2.0 Wrote:  Only get one shot to roll thing back to normal. They throw a switch and this thing blows up 3 weeks later there is no putting the toothpaste back in the tube.

On the bright side, there is a part of me that is enjoining the quieter pace of the world right now. Granted, I live in a fairly rural area during the off season but I sat outside yesterday for an hour in the sunshine and didn’t hear a single man made sound except my own breathing and the sound of me popping open an IPA. No cars in the distance. No planes over head. No boats on the lake. None of the background drone we don’t even consciously hear most of the time because it’s always there.

And if we don't open back up, that will soon be followed by no food, no $$, no life.

Drama much?

How about if we stay closed for 2 years while they search for a vaccine? Would you sing a different tune?

Nope.

You must have a lot of $$ stuffed in your mattress.

RE: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - gerhard911 - 04-20-2020 09:45 PM

(04-20-2020 09:07 PM)converrl Wrote:  
(04-20-2020 10:53 AM)converrl Wrote:  And if we don't open back up, that will soon be followed by no food, no $$, no life.

Drama much?

Nope.

Aha, I'm guessing you do not. Doss, lecture this young man.

RE: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - gerhard911 - 04-20-2020 09:48 PM

(04-20-2020 08:04 PM)QSECOFR Wrote:  I saw an interview with an M.D. from Tulane University this evening. He was asked several questions re: reopening the country. He gave the usual drab answers (e.g., must go slow, test everyone, track everyone).

He did surprise me when he said that there is no cost high enough if we can save just one life. Attorneys involved in civil litigation (which isn’t always civil) understand very clearly that there is a definable amount for each person’s life. Discounting punitive damages, I believe they look at a combination of age, earning ability, and the number of dependents a person has.

We seem to be in a position where very smart people (e.g., doctors) are giving AND making public policy that flies in the face of common sense. People like the good doctor who mean well are the ones who give me pause to be concerned for the future of the republic.

No, we seem to be in a position where very stupid people (e.g., the *resident and his lackeys) are giving AND making public policy that flies in the face of common sense.

RE: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - doss2 - 04-21-2020 07:21 AM

(04-20-2020 09:48 PM)gerhard911 Wrote:  
(04-20-2020 08:04 PM)QSECOFR Wrote:  I saw an interview with an M.D. from Tulane University this evening. He was asked several questions re: reopening the country. He gave the usual drab answers (e.g., must go slow, test everyone, track everyone).

No, we seem to be in a position where very stupid people (e.g., the *resident and his lackeys) are giving AND making public policy that flies in the face of common sense.
Those people who say keep things closed if it saves a tiny % of people are being irrational. People deal with an acceptable level of death daily. They drive. The ride a bike. They eat unhealthy. They smoke. They drink.

We cannot all become bubble people.

RE: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - QSECOFR - 04-21-2020 08:16 AM

(04-20-2020 09:48 PM)gerhard911 Wrote:  

In your mind what is the value of 1 human and who should make that determination?

RE: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - rath v2.0 - 04-21-2020 08:24 AM

(04-20-2020 09:07 PM)converrl Wrote:  
(04-20-2020 10:53 AM)converrl Wrote:  And if we don't open back up, that will soon be followed by no food, no $$, no life.

Drama much?

Nope.

Oh yeah, I’m just a regular Scrooge McDuck. However, due to decisions we made long before this “world ending cataclysm” I guess I don’t have as much debt stuffed in that mattress as some do. Life is all about choices.

Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - Cataclysmo - 04-21-2020 08:51 AM

You know things are going well when people begin arguing that death isn't such a bad thing.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

RE: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - bearcatmark - 04-21-2020 09:03 AM

(04-21-2020 08:24 AM)rath v2.0 Wrote:  Oh yeah, I’m just a regular Scrooge McDuck. However, due to decisions we made long before this “world ending cataclysm” I guess I don’t have as much debt stuffed in that mattress as some do. Life is all about choices.

It was smart finding enough land to build your giant money vault to swim in.

RE: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - QSECOFR - 04-21-2020 09:53 AM

(04-21-2020 08:51 AM)Cataclysmo Wrote:  You know things are going well when people begin arguing that death isn't such a bad thing.

If you believe that the value of a human is infinite, you are 180 degrees away from 3,000 years of civilization.

Congrats! You are smarter than 10’s of billions of people who preceded your existence.

RE: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - Cataclysmo - 04-21-2020 09:55 AM

(04-21-2020 09:53 AM)QSECOFR Wrote:  
(04-21-2020 08:51 AM)Cataclysmo Wrote:  You know things are going well when people begin arguing that death isn't such a bad thing.

If you believe that the value of a human is infinite, you are 180 degrees away from 3,000 years of civilization.

Congrats! You are smarter than 10’s of billions of people who preceded your existence.
Are we contextualizing the value of human life based off the past 3,000 years? I'm not sure that's a great idea, either.

RE: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - Ring of Black - 04-21-2020 10:07 AM

(04-21-2020 08:24 AM)rath v2.0 Wrote:  Oh yeah, I’m just a regular Scrooge McDuck. However, due to decisions we made long before this “world ending cataclysm” I guess I don’t have as much debt stuffed in that mattress as some do. Life is all about choices.

Yes. I have wondered throughout this, why businesses (and individuals) don't put away enough money for "a rainy day".

There are plenty examples of both... people "buying-upward", barely affordable houses, then using the equity (not their own money) to either make the house all the more fancy, or otherwise extra toys.

Businesses with their stock buybacks and overpaying execs. Even the ones that get canned, probably make as much or more in severance payments than I make in my lifetime.

I mean, things have, for the most part, only been shut down for barely more than a month, and is expected to be 2-3 by the time it's all said and done. Hardly the time scale of the Great Depression.

The poor saving rate, and easy debt continue to plague this nation, still a decade after the financial meltdown. Most just haven't learned squat from that fiasco.

Yes, I realize there are less fortunate, but I'm talking about the general, large scale here.

RE: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - Loco Bearcat - 04-21-2020 10:15 AM

(04-21-2020 09:55 AM)Cataclysmo Wrote:  
(04-21-2020 09:53 AM)QSECOFR Wrote:  

Are we contextualizing the value of human life based off the past 3,000 years? I'm not sure that's a great idea, either.

Don't waste your time with that guy Cataclysmo, he is never wrong.

RE: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - SeniorBearcat - 04-21-2020 01:17 PM

From the Michigan Attorney General...always an opportunity to make this virus about White vs. Black. Let's create a further divide and point the finger at the....choose your name.

Spoke with a physician today who stated a local hospital had 80+ COVID-19 patients with 30-40 being on ventilators. Over 75% of these patients are minorities with pre-existing conditions but the hospital media is being advised to take a different route than the Michigan AG.

Strange times indeed...back to the subject on hand.
I have heard from multiple former NCAA football players that their former schools are pooling them on options for this upcoming season....Fully open / Player Parents, Alumni, former players / Capping capacity at 20K / No Fans / Canceling Non-Conference games / etc. These are all players from Big 10 / MAC and ACC fwiw. Schools / conferences are working on options A, B and C. Do you say stick to tradition and screw the Media deals...easier to say that from a Power conference.

RE: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - Bear Catlett - 04-21-2020 02:09 PM

(04-21-2020 01:17 PM)SeniorBearcat Wrote:  

From the Michigan Attorney General...always an opportunity to make this virus about White vs. Black. Let's create a further divide and point the finger at the....choose your name.

Spoke with a physician today who stated a local hospital had 80+ COVID-19 patients with 30-40 being on ventilators. Over 75% of these patients are minorities with pre-existing conditions but the hospital media is being advised to take a different route than the Michigan AG.

Strange times indeed...back to the subject on hand.
I have heard from multiple former NCAA football players that their former schools are pooling them on options for this upcoming season....Fully open / Player Parents, Alumni, former players / Capping capacity at 20K / No Fans / Canceling Non-Conference games / etc. These are all players from Big 10 / MAC and ACC fwiw. Schools / conferences are working on options A, B and C. Do you say stick to tradition and screw the Media deals...easier to say that from a Power conference.

Maybe madame AG from the party of the common man should worry about cleaning up the miserable disasters that are Flint and Detroit rather than grandstanding and politicizing covid19.