CSNbbs
OT: COVID Check-In - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Big12bbs (/forum-260.html)
+---- Forum: Big 12 Team Talk (/forum-783.html)
+----- Forum: The Gregory A. Ruehlmann Sr. Memorial Cincinnati Board (/forum-404.html)
+----- Thread: OT: COVID Check-In (/thread-897469.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34

RE: OT: COVID Check-In - rosewater - 06-06-2020 09:39 PM

(06-06-2020 06:39 PM)UCGrad1992 Wrote:  So, I'll switch gears before this thread gets nuked. Disclaimer - long post so STOP here if you don't want to read it in its entirety. I've not shared this openly on the board prior but I feel the need to now...the COVID situation has not been on the forefront of my family's mind due to my wife's battle with cervical cancer. Last August she was diagnosed at Stage 2. The tumor was present in an area beyond just her cervix. This took us quite by shock but we were thankful that it wasn't a worse prognosis. The treatment plan was set for my wife to recieve 5 chemotherapy sessions [one per week] and localized external radiation for six weeks [5 per week or 30 total]. Once that was completed she was given 5 internal radiation treatments for 5 weeks [one per week]. All of this finished by the week of Thanksgiving and we were able to hit the "pause" button for several months. Through the miracle of prayer and mercy from God the cancer treatment side effects were "tolerable" with nauseau and weakness/tiredness the primary culprits. My wife did not lose her hair [thinned some] and was able to eat on a regular basis for the most part. We couldn't have made it without our friends and family helping with appointment travel and preparing meals for us. I have two teens still at home so trying to manage this without that support would've been difficult and stressful. We were also blessed that my wife was able to take the necessary medical leave from her employer so she could totally focus on her health. Another blessing was she took out a supplemental cancer insurance policy last year that absolutely saved us financially. She had this "feeling" to add the coverage and her intuition paid off. I would strongly encourage you to get this coverage if offered by your employer. We received $5,000 right off the top once she was diagnosed and we later received other direct payments to help offset many of the medical expenses.

In late February she had her first PET scan [post treatments] and the results came back with a "hot spot" but a follow-up biopsy confirmed no cancer cells. My wife went back to work and we were starting to exit on the "cancer highway off-ramp" physically, emotionally, mentally and spiritually. As I'm sure some of you know, cancer just comsumes your family where you are always thinking about it, talking about it, making decisions about it, living with it, etc. Last month my wife had her second PET scan and it again came back with a "hot spot." A subsequent examination and some feedback from my wife resulted in a "deep biopsy" outpaitent procedure that was done two weeks ago. This time the biopsy was not just a "scraping" of surface cells/tissue but needles were used to take the samples subsurface. We were "encouraged" that one possibility was the former cancer tumor was nothing but neucrotic [dead] tissue and my wife's body was reacting to consume/reject the tissue and this was causing the "red light" in the PET scan. Unfortunately, we got the results on Thursday that the biopsy revealed both neucrotic tissue and cancer cells. This definitely took the wind out of our sails even though we tried not to assume anything going in. What made it more difficult is the oncologists are baffled because the overwhelming majority of patients with the type and size of tumor my wife had we're able to kill the tumor through chemo and radiation treatments. For whatever reason it wasn't in the odds for my wife. Another thing that was hard was due to COVID-19 I was not allowed in the hospital to be with my wife. I had to park in a parking deck across the street waiting on phone calls to give me updates. That absolutely sucked.

So, we were given two options - the third to do nothing further was not a choice for us for obvious reasons - another chemo treatment plan or an invasive surgical procedure. The surgery is a major deal that involves taking out a wider swath of tissue due to complications from radiation treatment. A side effect of radiation is it weakens the surrounding tissue such that healing from surgery has too many potential complications. I'll spare you the details but among other things my wife may end up with a bladder bag and a colostomy bag for the rest of her life. There's just too many unknowns until the surgery happens but the minimum recovery time in the hospital is 10 days without complications. The other option is to try a different chemo drug that is stronger but potentially has more side effects than the chemo she had previously. She would get one treatment every three weeks and after 12 weeks they would do a PET scan and a biopsy. If the treatment is effective in killing the remaining cancer cells/further shrinking the tumor then they would continue for two more treatments. If the results were not effective then we can go on and schedule the surgery. It is most likely that surgery will be required regardless but it may not be as invasive if the chemo treatments work. After much prayer, discussion and thought, my wife chose to try the chemo first. She's really dreading the poison and going back through that process again. I hate it for her and I wish I could trade places.

A few months back after COVID ramped up we decided to book a beach trip to take advantage of the prices. We only had to put down a deposit and we figured if the pandemic shut down was long term we could get our deposit back. So, after all this cancer drama s_hit we're going to take the family to the coast of North Carolina in a few weeks and just try to enjoy ourselves and chill out before chemo begins. We were grateful the doctors recognized the need for our mental and emotional health and they worked the schedule around to accommodate us once we got back from the trip. Like Rag, I'll be another vacation COVID "guinea pig" and report back on my experience. Like I said, in my world I can't get too worked up about COVID-19 when my wife's cancer is the battle front and center. Thanks for listening...

Praying for the best
yours truly
Rose

RE: OT: COVID Check-In - Bearcatbdub - 06-06-2020 09:43 PM

Jesus Christ, 92. I hate cancer. God be with you and your family. I hope you enjoy your vacation.

RE: OT: COVID Check-In - doss2 - 06-07-2020 07:33 AM

(06-06-2020 09:39 PM)rosewater Wrote:  
(06-06-2020 06:39 PM)UCGrad1992 Wrote:  So, I'll switch gears before this thread gets nuked. Disclaimer - long post so STOP here if you don't want to read it in its entirety. I've not shared this openly on the board prior but I feel the need to now...the COVID situation has not been on the forefront of my family's mind due to my wife's battle with cervical cancer. Last August she was diagnosed at Stage 2. The tumor was present in an area beyond just her cervix. This took us quite by shock but we were thankful that it wasn't a worse prognosis. The treatment plan was set for my wife to recieve 5 chemotherapy sessions [one per week] and localized external radiation for six weeks [5 per week or 30 total]. Once that was completed she was given 5 internal radiation treatments for 5 weeks [one per week]. All of this finished by the week of Thanksgiving and we were able to hit the "pause" button for several months. Through the miracle of prayer and mercy from God the cancer treatment side effects were "tolerable" with nauseau and weakness/tiredness the primary culprits. My wife did not lose her hair [thinned some] and was able to eat on a regular basis for the most part. We couldn't have made it without our friends and family helping with appointment travel and preparing meals for us. I have two teens still at home so trying to manage this without that support would've been difficult and stressful. We were also blessed that my wife was able to take the necessary medical leave from her employer so she could totally focus on her health. Another blessing was she took out a supplemental cancer insurance policy last year that absolutely saved us financially. She had this "feeling" to add the coverage and her intuition paid off. I would strongly encourage you to get this coverage if offered by your employer. We received $5,000 right off the top once she was diagnosed and we later received other direct payments to help offset many of the medical expenses.

In late February she had her first PET scan [post treatments] and the results came back with a "hot spot" but a follow-up biopsy confirmed no cancer cells. My wife went back to work and we were starting to exit on the "cancer highway off-ramp" physically, emotionally, mentally and spiritually. As I'm sure some of you know, cancer just comsumes your family where you are always thinking about it, talking about it, making decisions about it, living with it, etc. Last month my wife had her second PET scan and it again came back with a "hot spot." A subsequent examination and some feedback from my wife resulted in a "deep biopsy" outpaitent procedure that was done two weeks ago. This time the biopsy was not just a "scraping" of surface cells/tissue but needles were used to take the samples subsurface. We were "encouraged" that one possibility was the former cancer tumor was nothing but neucrotic [dead] tissue and my wife's body was reacting to consume/reject the tissue and this was causing the "red light" in the PET scan. Unfortunately, we got the results on Thursday that the biopsy revealed both neucrotic tissue and cancer cells. This definitely took the wind out of our sails even though we tried not to assume anything going in. What made it more difficult is the oncologists are baffled because the overwhelming majority of patients with the type and size of tumor my wife had we're able to kill the tumor through chemo and radiation treatments. For whatever reason it wasn't in the odds for my wife. Another thing that was hard was due to COVID-19 I was not allowed in the hospital to be with my wife. I had to park in a parking deck across the street waiting on phone calls to give me updates. That absolutely sucked.

So, we were given two options - the third to do nothing further was not a choice for us for obvious reasons - another chemo treatment plan or an invasive surgical procedure. The surgery is a major deal that involves taking out a wider swath of tissue due to complications from radiation treatment. A side effect of radiation is it weakens the surrounding tissue such that healing from surgery has too many potential complications. I'll spare you the details but among other things my wife may end up with a bladder bag and a colostomy bag for the rest of her life. There's just too many unknowns until the surgery happens but the minimum recovery time in the hospital is 10 days without complications. The other option is to try a different chemo drug that is stronger but potentially has more side effects than the chemo she had previously. She would get one treatment every three weeks and after 12 weeks they would do a PET scan and a biopsy. If the treatment is effective in killing the remaining cancer cells/further shrinking the tumor then they would continue for two more treatments. If the results were not effective then we can go on and schedule the surgery. It is most likely that surgery will be required regardless but it may not be as invasive if the chemo treatments work. After much prayer, discussion and thought, my wife chose to try the chemo first. She's really dreading the poison and going back through that process again. I hate it for her and I wish I could trade places.

A few months back after COVID ramped up we decided to book a beach trip to take advantage of the prices. We only had to put down a deposit and we figured if the pandemic shut down was long term we could get our deposit back. So, after all this cancer drama s_hit we're going to take the family to the coast of North Carolina in a few weeks and just try to enjoy ourselves and chill out before chemo begins. We were grateful the doctors recognized the need for our mental and emotional health and they worked the schedule around to accommodate us once we got back from the trip. Like Rag, I'll be another vacation COVID "guinea pig" and report back on my experience. Like I said, in my world I can't get too worked up about COVID-19 when my wife's cancer is the battle front and center. Thanks for listening...

Praying for the best
yours truly
Rose

I am amazed that you are able to wait. My wife has had both breast cancer and melanoma surgery. She wanted to be treated ASAP and said waiting the weeks with each was hell. Hope you enjoy your vacation and it strengthens her will for the fight! Good luck!

RE: OT: COVID Check-In - Ragpicker - 06-07-2020 08:08 AM

92, the strength you and her showed while you waited in a parking lot while she sat alone in an oncologist office is more than enough to beat the evil of cancer. Healing prayers to all of your family as the fight touches so many lives.

RE: OT: COVID Check-In - namrag - 06-07-2020 08:16 AM

Fight the good fight, 92.

Best wishes to your wife, and yourself.

RE: OT: COVID Check-In - Lush - 06-07-2020 09:27 AM

my sentiments 92. waiting for the results is stressful. i am not the body, i repeated to myself as i waited for mine. i had the fortune of reading the bhagavad gita at the time. cancer can kill so quick. claimed by wife's former boss like two or three weeks into retirement and my buddies' mom from melanoma within a week or something of diagnosis. if i learned anything it's to buy a giant tub of sunscreen and set it on a table you must pass before you exit the house

RE: OT: COVID Check-In - UCGrad1992 - 06-07-2020 11:46 AM

Thanks so much guys for your support and encouragement. It means more than you can possibly imagine. I feel like I know many of you as friends and can call you as such because we've been posting on this board for many years now. My family will continue to fight through this and stay positive. I think a big key [besides our faith as believers] is just trying to take it one step at a time, one day at a time. Don't try to get too far out in front. For you married guys, always give your wife a hug and let her know how much she means to you because you never know when a health issue or worse comes knocking at the door. Man, life is short indeed...

RE: OT: COVID Check-In - Nobones - 06-07-2020 12:10 PM

92 many thoughts and prayer for you, your wife and your family. Lost my Mother in-law to cancer. Wife had the genetic test done to see if she had the cancer gene. She does. So she went ahead and did some measures to make sure she had a fighting chance to stay around for me and our boy after and number of breast biopsies she had a total mastectomy and a total hysterectomy. Glad she did after the surgery's they found cancer in the tissues they took out. After many follow ups and still seeing a different Dr. every 3 months she is doing good. Good luck to your wife and I hope she is here with you and the kids for a long time.

RE: OT: COVID Check-In - UCGrad1992 - 06-07-2020 03:42 PM

(06-07-2020 12:10 PM)Nobones Wrote:  92 many thoughts and prayer for you, your wife and your family. Lost my Mother in-law to cancer. Wife had the genetic test done to see if she had the cancer gene. She does. So she went ahead and did some measures to make sure she had a fighting chance to stay around for me and our boy after and number of breast biopsies she had a total mastectomy and a total hysterectomy. Glad she did after the surgery's they found cancer in the tissues they took out. After many follow ups and still seeing a different Dr. every 3 months she is doing good. Good luck to your wife and I hope she is here with you and the kids for a long time.

Thanks for sharing. Your wife is indeed a strong woman and obviously loves her family very much to take those difficult, proactive steps. You got a good one...

RE: OT: COVID Check-In - HoopsJunky - 06-07-2020 03:57 PM

Praying for your wife and your family

RE: OT: COVID Check-In - CliftonAve - 06-07-2020 06:10 PM

Prayers to you and your family 92. I am sorry you guys are going through this.

RE: OT: COVID Check-In - ZCat - 06-07-2020 10:12 PM

Prayers to you and your family 92!!

OT: COVID Check-In - Cataclysmo - 06-08-2020 09:03 AM

Thinking about you 92. Sending all the strength in the world your way.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

RE: OT: COVID Check-In - bearcatmark - 06-08-2020 09:07 AM

92 thinking of you as well. Cancer has a way of connecting so many of us who have dealt with the tragedy it can impart on our lives. Lost my dad when I was 17 to his 5 year battle with Large Mouth Throat Cancer. My mom has battled breast cancer. It's always a hard thing.

I'll be thinking of you and your family when I'm on the Carolina Coast in a few weeks and thought about you yesterday when I was smoking a nice pork shoulder and making up an eastern carolina sauce with a variation of the recipe you posted on here.

You have a way of staying above the fray around Bearcat Banter and bring an incredibly positive outlook about our Bearcats and so many other things. I have no doubt that same positively will be a strength to your wife and family during these trying times.

RE: OT: COVID Check-In - SeniorBearcat - 06-08-2020 09:18 AM

Sending you and your family prayers 92! I hope you guys have an excellent vacation and the best possible outcome for your wife.

RE: OT: COVID Check-In - Lush - 06-11-2020 09:57 PM

had to junk the festiva today. she was full of life to the very end; the poor lass wouldn't break and to diagnose further than the master cylinder would get adventurous. my mechanic in fairfield whom i've been going to for like twelve years made me sign a waiver saying i wouldn't drive it. off to yonder cleves may she lie

anyway, to make this covidian, on our way back to fairfield today from the junkyard to retrieve the plates the children and i were listening to beck. he was talking about how the toy stores are removing police uniformed toys and that they're going after paw patrol. i hoped oldest heard that and she did. paw patrol she screamed with delight. daddy, he said paw patrol. that's right little one. it's getting the axe

RE: OT: COVID Check-In - Ragpicker - 06-14-2020 03:05 PM

7th State since the lockdown - and clearly the most frightened, or playing it safe (based on your politics), is Pennsylvania. 80% of everyone outside on a beautiful Saturday was wearing a mask. Maybe pushing 90% indoors at restaurants, retailers, and casinos.

A few retailers were militant about wearing one - no mask no service was enforced. My response - no problem no purchase.

But I saw the funniest, or saddest, mask experience while walking in the crowded Pittsburgh Strip District. Guy in mid 30s wearing a mask is walking towards me on sidewalk when a big sneeze was creeping on him. He literally pulled down his mask exposing his nose so he could let it go and not snot in his mask. Lol. So glad these masks are keeping people stupid...I meant safe.

Drove home yesterday and went to my neighborhood outdoor tavern last night in Kentucky. Band played to over hundred folks dancing and drinking. Not a single mask except the poor wait staff. What a contrast!?!?

OT: COVID Check-In - mlb - 06-14-2020 03:08 PM

I was in Gatlinburg the last couple days..
Nobody in town wearing a mask. On top of each other. I'm okay with things being open, but people need to be safe.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

RE: OT: COVID Check-In - Ragpicker - 06-14-2020 03:11 PM

(06-14-2020 03:08 PM)mlb Wrote:  I was in Gatlinburg the last couple days..
Nobody in town wearing a mask. On top of each other. I'm okay with things being open, but people need to be safe.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

That was our first trip back in late April when they opened the restaurants.

RE: OT: COVID Check-In - CliftonAve - 06-14-2020 06:39 PM

I went back to work at the beginning of this month after a 60 day furlough. A lot of people are still furloughed, they just needed more people to deal with the pile of work that needed done.

I play a lot of one-on-one with my 20 year old. During the downtime I was able to practice/play a lot more, which allowed me to get my shot back. Since he has a 2-3 inch height advantage, I can’t post up and it’s hard to take it to the hole on the big guy. We’ve had lots of fun and for the first time in several years the old dog is taking it to the young pup again.

My younger two are having a great summer this far, playing with all their friends in the neighborhood. The last 2 1/2 months of “home” school were rough for everyone. I hope they can go back in the fall on a regular schedule.