CSNbbs
Decisions, Decisions, Decisions - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt East Team Talk (/forum-289.html)
+----- Forum: Old Dominion (/forum-688.html)
+----- Thread: Decisions, Decisions, Decisions (/thread-897440.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

Decisions, Decisions, Decisions - ODUDJ96 - 04-03-2020 07:09 PM

https://www.pilotonline.com/sports/college/old-dominion/vp-sp-odu-athletics-study-20200403-akwhwiad2zfmrbvob7j6dlzcjy-story.html

Great article, but tells us what we already know. Go all-in on basketball.

Decisions, Decisions, Decisions - EverRespect - 04-03-2020 07:19 PM

No decisions, it is a foregone conclusion. Hence the consultant. Slippery Woody will make coronavirus the scapegoat instead of his previous shortsightedness, but looks like we are finally going to turn off the spigot. Too late?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

RE: Decisions, Decisions, Decisions - monarx - 04-03-2020 07:28 PM

Setting the foundation for a conference change it seems. I still think Judy McLeod has to bear a lot of the responsibility for this boondoggle too. The CUSA we joined was fine. The benefits outweighed the negatives. The conference has gone off a cliff since we joined and is no longer worth it. Only three conferences make any sense for ODU. AAC, A10, CAA. In that order. Unless of course a new conference arises.

RE: Decisions, Decisions, Decisions - Monarchist13 - 04-03-2020 07:42 PM

(04-03-2020 07:28 PM)monarx Wrote:  Setting the foundation for a conference change it seems. I still think Judy McLeod has to bear a lot of the responsibility for this boondoggle too. The CUSA we joined was fine. The benefits outweighed the negatives. The conference has gone off a cliff since we joined and is no longer worth it. Only three conferences make any sense for ODU. AAC, A10, CAA. In that order. Unless of course a new conference arises.

This pandemic could be the catalyst we need for sensible realignment to happen.

RE: Decisions, Decisions, Decisions - ODUDJ96 - 04-03-2020 08:54 PM

MBB is going to get what it deserves. Let the chips fall. This FOIA article is a farce.

RE: Decisions, Decisions, Decisions - Cyniclone - 04-03-2020 09:20 PM

(04-03-2020 07:28 PM)monarx Wrote:  Setting the foundation for a conference change it seems. I still think Judy McLeod has to bear a lot of the responsibility for this boondoggle too. The CUSA we joined was fine. The benefits outweighed the negatives. The conference has gone off a cliff since we joined and is no longer worth it. Only three conferences make any sense for ODU. AAC, A10, CAA. In that order. Unless of course a new conference arises.

The conference ODU joined is similar to the conference ODU is in now, only you're trading Tulane, Tulsa and ECU for Western Kentucky, Middle Tennessee and Florida Atlantic. ECU would have been nice but if anyone thought they were a long-term CUSA member then they would be delusional to the point of madness. They'd been trying to get out of CUSA since 2000 at least. If anything, I'd take the CUSA of today over the CUSA when ODU joined, even though it'd have been great if ECU did stick around a spell. But Tulane and Tulsa aren't really doing it any more than North Texas or UTSA, at least for ODU purposes.

CUSA has fallen hard in the past 10 years but it's not as though ODU went in thinking they'd be rubbing elbows with Houston, Memphis and Central Florida.

RE: Decisions, Decisions, Decisions - Cyniclone - 04-03-2020 09:22 PM

Though it's kinda of funny in a dark way that all this bad news is being delivered by former VCU athletic director Richard Sander.

RE: Decisions, Decisions, Decisions - Murray007 - 04-03-2020 09:58 PM

The obvious top option for a future conference would be the AAC, but I don't think that would happen.

I think an A10/FBS Independent option will be strongly considered over the next few months. Of course, that's assuming the A10 would take us, but if they are then we might be out of CUSA pretty quick.

Otherwise, I guess the other option is the mythical East Cost Conference that gets mentioned every so often. But I'm not sure how that would work

RE: Decisions, Decisions, Decisions - Murray007 - 04-03-2020 10:07 PM

First, totally agree with the poor performance of the CUSA leadership. The commissioner has one ultimate responsibility: get the member schools as much money and publicity as possible, and neither one has happened.

I'm not sure the AD brass would be willing to admit failure by going back to the CAA. Even if we did go back, I think football would remain FBS and we would schedule a buy game or two to fund the football team.

Decisions, Decisions, Decisions - ODU1986 - 04-03-2020 10:12 PM

A10 already has 14 schools. Even with the support of VCU, Richmond and Mason doubt we would get enough votes overall for an invite.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RE: Decisions, Decisions, Decisions - EverRespect - 04-03-2020 10:16 PM

(04-03-2020 10:12 PM)ODU1986 Wrote:  A10 already has 14 schools. Even with the support of VCU, Richmond and Mason doubt we would get enough votes overall for an invite.

Unless the Big East adds Dayton.

RE: Decisions, Decisions, Decisions - Cyniclone - 04-03-2020 10:29 PM

(04-03-2020 10:16 PM)EverRespect Wrote:  
(04-03-2020 10:12 PM)ODU1986 Wrote:  A10 already has 14 schools. Even with the support of VCU, Richmond and Mason doubt we would get enough votes overall for an invite.

1. Big East doesn't need Dayton or St. Louis or anyone. They've got 11 schools with UConn coming on board, which means they can do a double round-robin for 20 games, which is the magic number for the major conferences. Unless Gonzaga moves to Baltimore or Cleveland, the Big East has no need to add.
2. Even if Dayton leaves, the A10 can go forward with 13 teams. Even numbers is only important for football scheduling. With basketball it just means you play one more team twice than your already do. So the A10 has no need to add.

RE: Decisions, Decisions, Decisions - EverRespect - 04-03-2020 10:35 PM

(04-03-2020 10:29 PM)Cyniclone Wrote:  
(04-03-2020 10:16 PM)EverRespect Wrote:  

1. Big East doesn't need Dayton or St. Louis or anyone. They've got 11 schools with UConn coming on board, which means they can do a double round-robin for 20 games, which is the magic number for the major conferences. Unless Gonzaga moves to Baltimore or Cleveland, the Big East has no need to add.
2. Even if Dayton leaves, the A10 can go forward with 13 teams. Even numbers is only important for football scheduling. With basketball it just means you play one more team twice than your already do. So the A10 has no need to add.
I do agree, but it is hypothetically possible. The Big East doesn't need to do anything, but maybe the feel someone adds value. ODU certainly adds big value to the A10... just not sure if Wood burned that bridge.

RE: Decisions, Decisions, Decisions - Monarchist13 - 04-03-2020 11:54 PM

Heckuva a typo from Harry here.

RE: Decisions, Decisions, Decisions - mac - 04-04-2020 06:19 AM

“With the great history, the fertile recruiting geography and one of the top facilities in the country, men’s and women’s basketball significantly provide the best opportunity to make a major beneficial impact for the institution.”

No kidding.

RE: Decisions, Decisions, Decisions - Monarchblue - 04-04-2020 08:33 AM

(04-03-2020 07:09 PM)ODUDJ96 Wrote:  https://www.pilotonline.com/sports/college/old-dominion/vp-sp-odu-athletics-study-20200403-akwhwiad2zfmrbvob7j6dlzcjy-story.html

Yep. I could have told them, and have said here numerous times, what that report told them, and for free.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

RE: Decisions, Decisions, Decisions - Gilesfan - 04-04-2020 08:48 AM

Combination of sports dipping all over the country and this virus. Money is gone. It sucks for people that are fans of less popular sports but football will always take priority with basketball second and nothing else remotely close.

And we arent going back to FCS football. The day that happens is the day that you know the program is over.

RE: Decisions, Decisions, Decisions - devyanks90 - 04-04-2020 09:54 AM

(04-04-2020 08:48 AM)Gilesfan Wrote:  Combination of sports dipping all over the country and this virus. Money is gone. It sucks for people that are fans of less popular sports but football will always take priority with basketball second and nothing else remotely close.

And we arent going back to FCS football. The day that happens is the day that you know the program is over.
Is the Cox bill still in effect?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

RE: Decisions, Decisions, Decisions - monarx - 04-04-2020 09:56 AM

ODU would bring value to the A10. Rivalries, fan base, media market. Another southern school for Davidson. It’s really a great fit. I hope this is setting things up for that move. I’d prefer the AAC but just don’t see that happening, even with UConn leaving. Maybe if they hadn’t added Wichita or Navy left.

RE: Decisions, Decisions, Decisions - monarx - 04-04-2020 09:58 AM

(04-04-2020 08:33 AM)Monarchblue Wrote:  
(04-03-2020 07:09 PM)ODUDJ96 Wrote:  https://www.pilotonline.com/sports/college/old-dominion/vp-sp-odu-athletics-study-20200403-akwhwiad2zfmrbvob7j6dlzcjy-story.html

Yep. I could have told them, and have said here numerous times, what that report told them, and for free.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

ODU has a long proud history of paying consultants to tell them the obvious.