CSNbbs
End of an Era Western Michigan - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: MACbbs (/forum-513.html)
+---- Forum: MAC - East Team Talk (/forum-463.html)
+----- Forum: Kent State (/forum-474.html)
+----- Thread: End of an Era Western Michigan (/thread-897146.html)

End of an Era Western Michigan - fallsdog - 03-29-2020 09:15 AM

after 17 seasons...

https://www.mlive.com/broncos/2020/03/steve-hawkins-out-as-western-michigan-mens-basketball-coach-after-17-years.html?outputType=amp

I believe a promotion from within.

RE: End of an Era Western Michigan - Muskrat - 03-29-2020 10:01 AM

That's a shame. He had a winning record and mostly winning seasons. I hate to see that.

RE: End of an Era Western Michigan - Older and Older - 03-29-2020 05:44 PM

(03-29-2020 10:01 AM)Muskrat Wrote:  That's a shame. He had a winning record and mostly winning seasons. I hate to see that.

Agree. New coach making a lot less $$$ From what I saw WMU saving
$160 K / yr Hawkins a good guy and class act always. Basketball does
Not seem to be a sport of emphasis any longer at WMU. Football and Hockey. Same as in Oxford. Not a good omen for MAC basketball

RE: End of an Era Western Michigan - fallsdog - 03-29-2020 07:35 PM

Western Michigan is everything wrong with the .600 and a win in the conference tournament is just fine attitude.

RE: End of an Era Western Michigan - Muskrat - 03-29-2020 07:42 PM

Fallsdog, his MAC winning percentage at WMU was 53%. Senderoff's is 54%. So, should Rob go, too?

RE: End of an Era Western Michigan - anti-zip - 03-29-2020 08:17 PM

Muskrat, I think you're being facetious but before anyone takes firing Rob seriously, it's important to remember how different the MAC East and MAC West have been over the course of the two coaches tenures.

Since 03/04 when Hawkins took over at WMU the combined conference record of the MAC West teams excluding WMU is 642-852 (42.9%)

Since 11/12 when Sendy took over at Kent the combined conference record of the MAC East teams excluding Kent is 424-366 (53.7%)

Since you play more games against your own division clearly Rob's in conference strength of schedule has been significantly more difficult than Hawkins'. That needs to be kept in mind when comparing their conference winning percentages.

RE: End of an Era Western Michigan - Muskrat - 03-29-2020 08:28 PM

anti-zip, I was being facetious. And while I agree Senderoff has had to face a tougher schedule, I still hate to see a MAC school let go a coach who has won more games than he's lost, and had many more winning seasons than losing ones. Senderoff is somewhat in the same boat, in that he hasn't been so successful that we have to worry about his leaving. Yet he hasn't been completely unsuccessful, either. So, no, I'm not at all suggesting that Kent State make a change. The more I've thought about it over the last couple of years, the more I realize Senderoff has done an excellent job keeping the program in contention. Coaches now have to expect massive turnover every year and have to jury-rig basically a new team together each year with the best players he can find. So far, he's never even had one losing season and that counts for something.

RE: End of an Era Western Michigan - thanksjim - 03-29-2020 08:42 PM

(03-29-2020 08:28 PM)Muskrat Wrote:  anti-zip, I was being facetious. And while I agree Senderoff has had to face a tougher schedule, I still hate to see a MAC school let go a coach who has won more games than he's lost, and had many more winning seasons than losing ones. Senderoff is somewhat in the same boat, in that he hasn't been so successful that we have to worry about his leaving. Yet he hasn't been completely unsuccessful, either. So, no, I'm not at all suggesting that Kent State make a change. The more I've thought about it over the last couple of years, the more I realize Senderoff has done an excellent job keeping the program in contention. Coaches now have to expect massive turnover every year and have to jury-rig basically a new team together each year with the best players he can find. So far, he's never even had one losing season and that counts for something.

+1

RE: End of an Era Western Michigan - fallsdog - 03-30-2020 05:02 AM

I retract my parting shot. Must have been Evan Williams talking.

RE: End of an Era Western Michigan - burden - 03-30-2020 10:34 AM

(03-29-2020 05:44 PM)Older and Older Wrote:  
(03-29-2020 10:01 AM)Muskrat Wrote:  That's a shame. He had a winning record and mostly winning seasons. I hate to see that.

Agree. New coach making a lot less $$$ From what I saw WMU saving
$16c0 K / yr Hawkins a good guy and class act always. Basketball does
Not seem to be a sport of emphasis any longer at WMU. Football and Hockey. Same as in Oxford. Not a good omen for MAC basketball

Hey saving 160,000 is like playing football at Alabama for 10 minutes. I bet a lot of slightly above average coaches who are around for enough years to get a fairly high salary will suffer the same fate. Companies lay-off high priced (only because of years of services) employees every day. They never ask you if you would like to restructure your contract.