CSNbbs
UTA President Resigning - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt Conference Talk (/forum-296.html)
+---- Thread: UTA President Resigning (/thread-896662.html)

Pages: 1 2

UTA President Resigning - FoUTASportscaster - 03-19-2020 10:00 PM

A lot of news coming from UTA the past few weeks. President Vistap Kharbhari said he would resign in August a few weeks ago. Then it came out that he was a finalist for the Central Florida Presidency. Then he withdrew his name.

Now, news breaks of an issue with the nursing program and he has stepped down.

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/education/2020/03/20/investigation-into-utas-online-nursing-program-found-improper-finances-underqualified-students-enrolled/

RE: UTA President Resigning - Florida RedWolf - 03-20-2020 11:04 AM

(03-19-2020 10:00 PM)FoUTASportscaster Wrote:  A lot of news coming from UTA the past few weeks. President Vistap Kharbhari said he would resign in August a few weeks ago. Then it came out that he was a finalist for the Central Florida Presidency. Then he withdrew his name.

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/education/2020/03/20/investigation-into-utas-online-nursing-program-found-improper-finances-underqualified-students-enrolled/

With a name like Karbhari, I can understand you not having football. Think you may have better luck with a Texas made president.

RE: UTA President Resigning - OsageJ - 03-20-2020 12:27 PM

Was this guy pro football or athletics in general?

RE: UTA President Resigning - Usajags - 03-20-2020 03:05 PM

(03-20-2020 12:27 PM)OsageJ Wrote:  Was this guy pro football or athletics in general?

Not being pro football would not get him far at UCF.

RE: UTA President Resigning - panama - 03-20-2020 03:51 PM

(03-20-2020 11:04 AM)Florida RedWolf Wrote:  
(03-19-2020 10:00 PM)FoUTASportscaster Wrote:  A lot of news coming from UTA the past few weeks. President Vistap Kharbhari said he would resign in August a few weeks ago. Then it came out that he was a finalist for the Central Florida Presidency. Then he withdrew his name.

With a name like Karbhari, I can understand you not having football. Think you may have better luck with a Texas made president.
????????!?!!!!????????!???????!!!!!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

RE: UTA President Resigning - UTArlingtonMaverick - 03-20-2020 04:11 PM

Apparently there are a lot of people who think Kharbhari is over-bearing and a micro-manager. On the plus side, he is a high-powered researcher and he knows how to stoke the research fires. The amount of research the University does has continued to shoot-up under his administration. Passed $100 million in 2019. Way past. Something like 117 or 119 or so. He has brought in a lot of talent. Among these are a total of 6 or 7 national academy members on the faculty, which is pretty impressive. The university moved from R2 to R1, and is on the cusp of being re-classified by the state from emerging research to research, which are prestige items.

The physical campus has continued to see massive improvements under President K, e.g., $125 million SEIR building, The Commons, West Parking Garage, Career Center, grand north entrance of the University Center, a new faculty support and computer center building under construction, a new $72 million social work and nursing building to start construction next year, along with enormous landscape and campus edge improvements. UTA is a pretty damn impressive place now.

Sports-wise, he lives in the same environment as all presidents we have had and will have. They support success of our current sports line-up, but they are not compensated to build a football team and the external and internal pressure to do so is weak, despite some truly great guys. Presidents move the needle here by accomplishing metrics which are under their control (research, student success, faculty quality) and for which they are measured.

RE: UTA President Resigning - UTArlingtonMaverick - 03-20-2020 04:23 PM

This is politically incorrect.

I have American friends who have worked in business in India. From what they have told me, their American sensibilities are shocked at the overbearing nature of many Indian managers in India.

Just sayin' Take this for what it is worth or not. But, there are cultural leadership differences. I think that is manifested in this case. And, I say this as an admirer of Kharbhari. He's done a lot, but it seems his people-style is not what is acceptable in the U.S.

RE: UTA President Resigning - panama - 03-20-2020 04:27 PM

(03-20-2020 04:11 PM)UTArlingtonMaverick Wrote:  Apparently there are a lot of people who think Kharbhari is over-bearing and a micro-manager. On the plus side, he is a high-powered researcher and he knows how to stoke the research fires. The amount of research the University does has continued to shoot-up under his administration. Passed $100 million in 2019. Way past. Something like 117 or 119 or so. He has brought in a lot of talent. Among these are a total of 6 or 7 national academy members on the faculty, which is pretty impressive. The university moved from R2 to R1, and is on the cusp of being re-classified by the state from emerging research to research, which are prestige items.

The physical campus has continued to see massive improvements under President K, e.g., $125 million SEIR building, The Commons, West Parking Garage, Career Center, grand north entrance of the University Center, a new faculty support and computer center building under construction, a new $72 million social work and nursing building to start construction next year, along with enormous landscape and campus edge improvements. UTA is a pretty damn impressive place now.

Sports-wise, he lives in the same environment as all presidents we have had and will have. They support success of our current sports line-up, but they are not compensated to build a football team and the external and internal pressure to do so is weak, despite some truly great guys. Presidents move the needle here by accomplishing metrics which are under their control (research, student success, faculty quality) and for which they are measured.
Sounds like when Carl Patton was our president. Those 16 years were huge for us growth wise.

RE: UTA President Resigning - panama - 03-20-2020 04:29 PM

(03-20-2020 04:23 PM)UTArlingtonMaverick Wrote:  This is politically incorrect.

I have American friends who have worked in business in India. From what they have told me, their American sensibilities are shocked at the overbearing nature of many Indian managers in India.

Just sayin' Take this for what it is worth or not. But, there are cultural leadership differences. I think that is manifested in this case. And, I say this as an admirer of Kharbhari. He's done a lot, but it seems his people-style is not what is acceptable in the U.S.
Everyone work with is from South Asia and the there are many differencea from North America and sometimes differences between countries of South Asia or within countries.

RE: UTA President Resigning - panama - 03-20-2020 04:30 PM

(03-20-2020 04:29 PM)panama Wrote:  
(03-20-2020 04:23 PM)UTArlingtonMaverick Wrote:  This is politically incorrect.

Everyone work with is from South Asia and the there are many differencea from North America and sometimes differences between countries of South Asia or within countries.

...and politically incorrect would be say...post number 2.

For your info I have seen a bunch of very passionate American Football fans with "names like that" .

RE: UTA President Resigning - _x_ - 03-20-2020 06:00 PM

You've seen a bunch of passionate American football fans who were Indian?

RE: UTA President Resigning - Pounce FTW - 03-20-2020 07:08 PM

FWIW, GSU's fairly large international grad student population does mean we probably get more than an even share of fans that may be somewhat new to American football. My go-to friend for attending GSU FB and MBB games while I was in school there was an Indian labmate who is still a big fan.

RE: UTA President Resigning - FoUTASportscaster - 03-21-2020 12:20 AM

(03-20-2020 12:27 PM)OsageJ Wrote:  Was this guy pro football or athletics in general?

Pro-athletics for sure. He was similar to the prior Pres in that regard. The U is slowly looking at football. There was a published attempt to get Les Miles prior to him taking his current gig.

RE: UTA President Resigning - JoeJag - 03-21-2020 10:03 AM

(03-20-2020 11:04 AM)Florida RedWolf Wrote:  

Must be a soccer fan.

RE: UTA President Resigning - panama - 03-21-2020 11:05 AM

(03-20-2020 06:00 PM)_x_ Wrote:  You've seen a bunch of passionate American football fans who were Indian?
Yes

RE: UTA President Resigning - panama - 03-21-2020 11:09 AM

(03-20-2020 07:08 PM)Pounce FTW Wrote:  FWIW, GSU's fairly large international grad student population does mean we probably get more than an even share of fans that may be somewhat new to American football. My go-to friend for attending GSU FB and MBB games while I was in school there was an Indian labmate who is still a big fan.
While I have several South Asian workmates who are immigrants, Atlanta also has a large base of 2nd and 3rd generation South Asians. This notion that because you're Asian or Hispanic you're not a fan of American sports ...wow. A lot of people stick on 1985.

In fact the one person at work who is a GS fan who MOST and and i mean MOST digs into me is Indian-American.

RE: UTA President Resigning - Pounce FTW - 03-21-2020 11:51 AM

(03-21-2020 11:09 AM)panama Wrote:  
(03-20-2020 07:08 PM)Pounce FTW Wrote:  FWIW, GSU's fairly large international grad student population does mean we probably get more than an even share of fans that may be somewhat new to American football. My go-to friend for attending GSU FB and MBB games while I was in school there was an Indian labmate who is still a big fan.
While I have several South Asian workmates who are immigrants, Atlanta also has a large base of 2nd and 3rd generation South Asians. This notion that because you're Asian or Hispanic you're not a fan of American sports ...wow. A lot of people stick on 1985.

In fact the one person at work who is a GS fan who MOST and and i mean MOST digs into me is Indian-American.

I wasn't really even addressing those who are born here...just that we might have more non-native fans than most due to our population. Seems like all bets are off once you're talking about generations born in the States. A first-generation Turkish American I worked with was a huge Georgia State basketball fan, but couldn't shake his allegiance to Southern football from his undergrad days.

RE: UTA President Resigning - panama - 03-21-2020 12:08 PM

(03-21-2020 11:51 AM)Pounce FTW Wrote:  

I wasn't really even addressing those who are born here...just that we might have more non-native fans than most due to our population. Seems like all bets are off once you're talking about generations born in the States. A first-generation Turkish American I worked with was a huge Georgia State basketball fan, but couldn't shake his allegiance to Southern football from his undergrad days.
I am sorry. Wasn't railing on you. Just in disbelief that we are even having the conversation.

RE: UTA President Resigning - Pounce FTW - 03-21-2020 01:39 PM

(03-21-2020 12:08 PM)panama Wrote:  
(03-21-2020 11:51 AM)Pounce FTW Wrote:  

I am sorry. Wasn't railing on you. Just in disbelief that we are even having the conversation.

Oh, no need to apologize; just wanted to clarify.

Interesting, btw, that no one really thinks twice about football fandom among those of Pacific island heritage. The history of the influence of American culture has been strange.

RE: UTA President Resigning - runamuck - 03-22-2020 11:05 AM

altho the university has and is making great strides and has become an educational behemoth during his tenure, I think there are those in the faculty that would prefer the university be a little more uc-berkley like uber liberal.