CSNbbs
Best AD in D1? - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: College Sports and Conference Realignment (/forum-637.html)
+---- Thread: Best AD in D1? (/thread-896601.html)

Pages: 1 2

Best AD in D1? - IWokeUpLikeThis - 03-18-2020 11:30 PM

My vote goes to DePaul’s Jean Lenti Ponsetto:

RE: Best AD in D1? - Chuck_A - 03-19-2020 02:58 AM

My vote goes to UIC AD Michael Lipitz for finally getting rid of Steve McClain.

Steve McClain will not return next season as head coach of UIC men's basketball, Director of Athletics Michael Lipitz announced today, March 13.

"We thank Coach McClain for his contributions over the past five seasons and sincerely appreciate his efforts on behalf of our program and student-athletes," said Lipitz. "We are committed to men's basketball returning to the NCAA Tournament and developing a national presence and determined that a change in program leadership was needed at this time."

McClain posted a 76-93 (.450) overall record, including a 42-48 (.467) mark in Horizon League play. His teams made two postseason appearances, advancing to the 2017 College Basketball Invitational (CBI) semifinals and finishing as runners-up in the 2018 CollegeInsider.com Tournament (CIT).

UIC concluded its 2019-20 season with a 18-17 record, tied for 4th place in the Horizon League regular season, and made a run to the conference tournament final.

A national search for a new head coach will begin immediately.

RE: Best AD in D1? - schmolik - 03-19-2020 05:40 AM

(03-18-2020 11:30 PM)IWokeUpLikeThis Wrote:  My vote goes to DePaul’s Jean Lenti Ponsetto:

I was told today by a source that DePaul is most likely to going to finish dead last in the Big East in the next three years.

RE: Best AD in D1? - The Cutter of Bish - 03-19-2020 06:04 AM

You wonder how the other Big East schools feel when this keeps happening. We're to a point where we look to any improvement as being momentous. This year, they had a strong non-conference showing. And then win only three conference games. Counterpoint: Providence.

Iona's AD is definitely on the map now.

RE: Best AD in D1? - georgia_tech_swagger - 03-19-2020 11:03 AM

In terms of getting things done the best AD I've seen in the last decade is Jurich, former AD at Louisville. The worst is hands down Mike Bobinski. He's now fully entrenched at Purdue, and I look forward to watching them stagnate, get crushed on the field, and get left behind by their peers off the field.

RE: Best AD in D1? - dbackjon - 03-19-2020 11:38 AM

(03-19-2020 11:03 AM)georgia_tech_swagger Wrote:  In terms of getting things done the best AD I've seen in the last decade is Jurich, former AD at Louisville. The worst is hands down Mike Bobinski. He's now fully entrenched at Purdue, and I look forward to watching them stagnate, get crushed on the field, and get left behind by their peers off the field.

Yeah, TJ did great for Louisville

RE: Best AD in D1? - GoldenWarrior11 - 03-19-2020 12:02 PM

I definitely agree with Jurich - will be curious to see if he ever gets another shot (Pitino just did). Jack Swarbrick has to be up there, as are the big names like Joe Castiglione, Rob Mullens, Bernard Muir, Scott Stricklin, Scott Woodward, Greg Byrne and Ross Bjork.

I'd put Danny White as one of the rising young ADs in FBS right now. UCF Football gets a lot of attention, but his hire of Johnny Dawkins for men's basketball was superb.

RE: Best AD in D1? - dbackjon - 03-19-2020 12:19 PM

(03-19-2020 12:02 PM)GoldenWarrior11 Wrote:  I definitely agree with Jurich - will be curious to see if he ever gets another shot (Pitino just did). Jack Swarbrick has to be up there, as are the big names like Joe Castiglione, Rob Mullens, Bernard Muir, Scott Stricklin, Scott Woodward, Greg Byrne and Ross Bjork.

I'd put Danny White as one of the rising young ADs in FBS right now. UCF Football gets a lot of attention, but his hire of Johnny Dawkins for men's basketball was superb.

TJ is 63, and got a $4.3 Million "retirement" settlement from Louisville. He doesn't need another chance unless he wants out of retirement.

RE: Best AD in D1? - gosports1 - 03-19-2020 03:35 PM

Bob Driscoll IMO is a very good AD. Providence has made some improvements during his tenure and not just in MBB and hockey I don't knpw if I would call him the best but he deserves recognition

RE: Best AD in D1? - johnintx - 03-19-2020 04:19 PM

(03-19-2020 12:02 PM)GoldenWarrior11 Wrote:  Jack Swarbrick has to be up there, as are the big names like Joe Castiglione, Rob Mullens, Bernard Muir, Scott Stricklin, Scott Woodward, Greg Byrne and Ross Bjork.

I'm happy with Joe Castiglione.
  • Hired Bob Stoops, winning a national championship in 2000 and generating a renaissance of Oklahoma football after a horrible decade of the 90's
  • Hired Lincoln Riley to continue at a high level in football, appearing in three CFPs in three years to date
  • Athletic department has won national championships in men's and women's gymnastics, softball, and men's golf
  • Recognized by his peers to serve on the College Football Playoff selection committee and the NCAA Men's Basketball tournament selection committee (including a year as chairman)
  • Athletic department runs in the black each year, and makes a contribution to the university academic fund
I'm happy with the progress over the last 20 years.

RE: Best AD in D1? - Side Show Joe - 03-19-2020 04:26 PM

I don't know enough about the other AD's around the FBS to claim which is the best, but I will nominate our AD Wren Baker as one of the best among the G5. What he has done at North Texas in his short time there so far is very impressive in my opinion. And, his vision for where we are going is exciting.

RE: Best AD in D1? - sierrajip - 03-19-2020 09:31 PM

Among the non A5 teams, Danny White. His coaching hires has worked out well.

RE: Best AD in D1? - Wedge - 03-19-2020 09:50 PM

Looks like most of you have missed the OP’s sarcasm — he’s saying DePaul’s AD is terrible, not one of the best.

RE: Best AD in D1? - sierrajip - 03-19-2020 09:59 PM

(03-19-2020 09:50 PM)Wedge Wrote:  Looks like most of you have missed the OP’s sarcasm — he’s saying DePaul’s AD is terrible, not one of the best.

With the lack of college sports, who cares if it was an OP's sarcasm. It is not a bad thread.

RE: Best AD in D1? - johnintx - 03-19-2020 11:32 PM

(03-19-2020 09:59 PM)sierrajip Wrote:  
(03-19-2020 09:50 PM)Wedge Wrote:  Looks like most of you have missed the OP’s sarcasm — he’s saying DePaul’s AD is terrible, not one of the best.

With the lack of college sports, who cares if it was an OP's sarcasm. It is not a bad thread.

And he is right about the sarcasm. DePaul has been a dumpster fire since Joey Meyer was the coach.

RE: Best AD in D1? - schmolik - 03-20-2020 05:52 AM

(03-19-2020 11:32 PM)johnintx Wrote:  
(03-19-2020 09:59 PM)sierrajip Wrote:  

And he is right about the sarcasm. DePaul has been a dumpster fire since Joey Meyer was the coach.

DePaul's so bad (How bad are they?) Northwestern's actually relevant now! OK this year's a bad example but they did make the NCAA Tournament recently. I'd say Northwestern's rise more correlates to Illinois's fall and this year Illinois had an NCAA Tournament worthy season and Northwestern went back to the Big Ten basement. Hopefully that continues in the future.

RE: Best AD in D1? - Love and Honor - 03-23-2020 10:31 PM

(03-19-2020 11:03 AM)georgia_tech_swagger Wrote:  In terms of getting things done the best AD I've seen in the last decade is Jurich, former AD at Louisville. The worst is hands down Mike Bobinski. He's now fully entrenched at Purdue, and I look forward to watching them stagnate, get crushed on the field, and get left behind by their peers off the field.

I see your Bobinski and raise you a Brad Bates.

David Sayler at Miami has his weak points but for the most part has done a great job at structural pieces but very mixed in hiring. After Bates I'll take what I can get.

RE: Best AD in D1? - schmolik - 03-24-2020 12:42 PM

Here's a list of the "best" AD's:
https://www.athleticdirectoru.com/articles/athletic-director-performance-ratings/

RE: Best AD in D1? - Cajuns1252 - 03-24-2020 01:45 PM

I’m a big fan of our AD Bryan Maggard, he’s made a lot of changes since coming to Louisiana an I can honestly say not one has been bad.

RE: Best AD in D1? - sierrajip - 03-25-2020 11:47 PM

(03-24-2020 12:42 PM)schmolik Wrote:  Here's a list of the "best" AD's:
https://www.athleticdirectoru.com/articles/athletic-director-performance-ratings/

AD's are important for two things, bringing in money and hiring coaches that help bring in this money.
A5 coaches have such an advantage compared to the non A5. For a non A5 to do this is special. UCF being ranked 17 in that rating seems to be BS.