CSNbbs
NCAA talking again about bracket - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: College Sports and Conference Realignment (/forum-637.html)
+---- Thread: NCAA talking again about bracket (/thread-896301.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

NCAA talking again about bracket - bullet - 03-13-2020 07:40 PM

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/ncaa-weighing-release-of-68-team-bracket-despite-cancellation-of-2020-ncaa-tournament-over-coronavirus/

"...NCAA senior vice president of basketball Dan Gavitt told CBS Sports on Friday that the NCAA has not yet completely killed the idea of putting together a 68-team bracket for the purposes of an official recognition of the 2019-20 men's Division I basketball season. While far from a sure thing, it's still on the table -- offering hope to coaches and players across the country that they could at least potentially get formal recognition for the work they put into their seasons over the past five-plus months.

"We're hearing today there's interest from coaches and athletic directors from that," Gavitt said. "I wouldn't say we've shut down the idea completely, but there is, practically speaking, it's a bit challenging at this moment. ... There's pluses and minuses to any decision. If you put the field together, you could have teams, depending on that conference's policy, would not be the most obvious choice as the [automatic qualifier]. It's something we're going to continue to look at...."

ie coaches and ADs want to get their bonuses for making the tourney.

RE: NCAA talking again about bracket - Hokie Mark - 03-13-2020 07:44 PM

There's no way to get this 100% like it would've been without playing out the conference tournaments too.

RE: NCAA talking again about bracket - johnintx - 03-13-2020 07:49 PM

(03-13-2020 07:40 PM)bullet Wrote:  https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/ncaa-weighing-release-of-68-team-bracket-despite-cancellation-of-2020-ncaa-tournament-over-coronavirus/

"...NCAA senior vice president of basketball Dan Gavitt told CBS Sports on Friday that the NCAA has not yet completely killed the idea of putting together a 68-team bracket for the purposes of an official recognition of the 2019-20 men's Division I basketball season. While far from a sure thing, it's still on the table -- offering hope to coaches and players across the country that they could at least potentially get formal recognition for the work they put into their seasons over the past five-plus months.

"We're hearing today there's interest from coaches and athletic directors from that," Gavitt said. "I wouldn't say we've shut down the idea completely, but there is, practically speaking, it's a bit challenging at this moment. ... There's pluses and minuses to any decision. If you put the field together, you could have teams, depending on that conference's policy, would not be the most obvious choice as the [automatic qualifier]. It's something we're going to continue to look at...."

I'd be ok with that. It wouldn't be 100% accurate because the remaining conference tournaments didn't play out, but teams and coaches would be able to be recognized. And yes, coaches and ADs would be able to get some bonuses.

I would hope that a coach wouldn't get fired for barely missing the pseudo-bracket. But, if his job was on the line, it perhaps wouldn't have been saved in the first place.

RE: NCAA talking again about bracket - quo vadis - 03-13-2020 07:58 PM

Waste of time.

RE: NCAA talking again about bracket - Renandpat - 03-13-2020 08:06 PM

(03-13-2020 07:44 PM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  There's no way to get this 100% like it would've been without playing out the conference tournaments too.

(03-13-2020 07:58 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  Waste of time.

This does show that Emmert acted alone in the decision.

Regardless, Gavitt should know that you cannot put the toothpaste back in the tube.

Gavitt's comments today actually make Emmert look better and that's damn hard to do.

RE: NCAA talking again about bracket - Fighting Muskie - 03-13-2020 08:34 PM

Make one—and then let it play out over the summer once this thing subsides. If some schools don’t want to participate even though they’d make the field that’s fine; plenty of others would love to dance.

RE: NCAA talking again about bracket - johnintx - 03-13-2020 08:35 PM

(03-13-2020 08:06 PM)Renandpat Wrote:  This does show that Emmert acted alone in the decision.

Regardless, Gavitt should know that you cannot put the toothpaste back in the tube.

Gavitt's comments today actually make Emmert look better and that's damn hard to do.

The quote "think like a university president" applies here. Emmert is a former university president. That's his club.

RE: NCAA talking again about bracket - AllTideUp - 03-13-2020 10:09 PM

(03-13-2020 07:40 PM)bullet Wrote:  https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/ncaa-weighing-release-of-68-team-bracket-despite-cancellation-of-2020-ncaa-tournament-over-coronavirus/

Probably so.

I still think it's a good idea though. No real reason they can't give certain teams the recognition.

What else are they going to do with their time anyway? Everything's cancelled. 03-lmfao

RE: NCAA talking again about bracket - AllTideUp - 03-13-2020 10:16 PM

(03-13-2020 07:49 PM)johnintx Wrote:  

I'd be ok with that. It wouldn't be 100% accurate because the remaining conference tournaments didn't play out, but teams and coaches would be able to be recognized. And yes, coaches and ADs would be able to get some bonuses.

I would hope that a coach wouldn't get fired for barely missing the pseudo-bracket. But, if his job was on the line, it perhaps wouldn't have been saved in the first place.

The accuracy of it is what's interesting to me. It certainly wouldn't play out the same had the conference tournaments not been cut short, but it's an interesting thought experiment.

Personally, I think the college basketball regular season would be a lot more interesting if qualification for the tournament were based on how you finished in your conference race.

I don't mind the idea of a conference tournament to determine the champion, but I've always felt it should be maybe the top 4 or something like that. In other words, what's the point of playing for seeding if everyone in your league is going to be in the conference tourney? The upsets can be fun, sure, but I think basing the qualification for the NCAA tournament on the conference standings would bring higher stakes to the regular season.

RE: NCAA talking again about bracket - C2__ - 03-13-2020 11:08 PM

(03-13-2020 08:34 PM)Fighting Muskie Wrote:  Make one—and then let it play out over the summer once this thing subsides. If some schools don’t want to participate even though they’d make the field that’s fine; plenty of others would love to dance.

Kids are graduating, transferring and even getting jobs by then. The Tourney is dead this year, there's not even a video game simulation to let us have fun and imagine what if.

RE: NCAA talking again about bracket - SoCalBobcat78 - 03-13-2020 11:11 PM

I would like to see it. It would be a picture of what the committee thought at that point in time, the time of the suspension. Besides, it would give the board something to talk about.

RE: NCAA talking again about bracket - Hokie Mark - 03-14-2020 07:05 AM

They could have each team represented by one player on XBox, then play out the tournament over the internet. Work student athlete from home!
02-13-banana

RE: NCAA talking again about bracket - quo vadis - 03-14-2020 08:16 AM

(03-13-2020 11:11 PM)SoCalBobcat78 Wrote:  

I would like to see it. It would be a picture of what the committee thought at that point in time, the time of the suspension. Besides, it would give the board something to talk about.

Don't get me wrong, if they do it, it's harmless. But to me it is entirely pointless.

RE: NCAA talking again about bracket - bullet - 03-14-2020 09:52 AM

It would also give the ESPN talking heads something to talk about. And then they could have a simulated tourney.

RE: NCAA talking again about bracket - bill dazzle - 03-14-2020 10:57 AM

If this is done, so be it. I would take a look. But it does seem rather unnecessary overall.

RE: NCAA talking again about bracket - Frank the Tank - 03-14-2020 11:22 AM

(03-14-2020 08:16 AM)quo vadis Wrote:  

Don't get me wrong, if they do it, it's harmless. But to me it is entirely pointless.

Disagree that it’s pointless. It could certainly impact athletic director and coaching bonuses. Also, as a fan, it’s actually quite important to me to be able to state that the Illinois Fighting Illini made the 2020 NCAA Tournament. That’s definitely not irrelevant to any Illini fan or Rutgers supporter or anyone else that has had an NCAA Tournament drought. It may not be a huge deal to Kansas or Duke, but for a lot of schools, just getting their name called is a huge deal to their programs.

Besides, we’re going to be absolutely craving *any* type of sports content and, frankly, *any* news that isn’t coronavirus-related. The NCAA Tournament bracket show is unique in that it’s a sporting event that doesn’t actually require anything more than a TV studio. This could be a great PR opportunity for the NCAA where a bracket reveal would be one of the few signs of normalcy that Americans will have over the next few weeks.

Plus, the NCAA Tournament committee doesn’t need to go through the same in-person scrutinizing process. I know that the NCAA officials seemed to be making it seem like a huge burdensome process in the last report that I saw about this, but in reality, they can send in online ballots and, if necessary, have a conference call. The various rules regarding host venues and attempting to minimize intra-conference matchups in the early rounds would be irrelevant - they can just set the bracket in a straight 1-to-68 format.

Heck, do it for women’s basketball and hockey, too. Those brackets would actually get *more* attention in today’s environment with no other sports going on.

RE: NCAA talking again about bracket - EvilVodka - 03-14-2020 11:23 AM

I'd be fine with a truncated 8 or 16 team tourney even...why not?

RE: NCAA talking again about bracket - bullet - 03-14-2020 11:54 AM

(03-14-2020 11:22 AM)Frank the Tank Wrote:  

Disagree that it’s pointless. It could certainly impact athletic director and coaching bonuses. Also, as a fan, it’s actually quite important to me to be able to state that the Illinois Fighting Illini made the 2020 NCAA Tournament. That’s definitely not irrelevant to any Illini fan or Rutgers supporter or anyone else that has had an NCAA Tournament drought. It may not be a huge deal to Kansas or Duke, but for a lot of schools, just getting their name called is a huge deal to their programs.

Besides, we’re going to be absolutely craving *any* type of sports content and, frankly, *any* news that isn’t coronavirus-related. The NCAA Tournament bracket show is unique in that it’s a sporting event that doesn’t actually require anything more than a TV studio. This could be a great PR opportunity for the NCAA where a bracket reveal would be one of the few signs of normalcy that Americans will have over the next few weeks.

Plus, the NCAA Tournament committee doesn’t need to go through the same in-person scrutinizing process. I know that the NCAA officials seemed to be making it seem like a huge burdensome process in the last report that I saw about this, but in reality, they can send in online ballots and, if necessary, have a conference call. The various rules regarding host venues and attempting to minimize intra-conference matchups in the early rounds would be irrelevant - they can just set the bracket in a straight 1-to-68 format.

Heck, do it for women’s basketball and hockey, too. Those brackets would actually get *more* attention in today’s environment with no other sports going on.

We're in 2020. Virtually meetings are not something unusual. In fact, a lot of companies will be having all their meetings that way over the next month or so.

RE: NCAA talking again about bracket - Frank the Tank - 03-14-2020 11:57 AM

(03-14-2020 11:23 AM)EvilVodka Wrote:  I'd be fine with a truncated 8 or 16 team tourney even...why not?

Eh - no one can play at this point. All it takes is one player or team representative having even a possible exposure to the virus and it would be considered reckless endangerment. If schools aren’t even allowing students to be on campus, there simply can’t be any sporting events (even in truncated form).

RE: NCAA talking again about bracket - johnintx - 03-14-2020 01:43 PM

(03-14-2020 11:22 AM)Frank the Tank Wrote:  

It would still be cool to have a bracket, for the reasons Frank mentioned. It's a big deal for Illinois. It's a big deal for Penn State. It's a really big deal for Rutgers. We could go on with other schools. The players and coaches for these teams earned the recognition.

The Division II national tournament was to start this weekend. They had a selection show last Sunday night. My alma mater made the D-II national tournament for the first time in its third year of eligibility after a transition from NAIA. We were the eighth seed in our regional as an at-large team. We probably would have been smoked in the regional tonight by the #1 team on their home court. Nonetheless, it's an accomplishment for our coaches and players to be recognized. It's very valuable to us.