CSNbbs
OT- Corona Virus- Where do we go from here? - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt East Team Talk (/forum-289.html)
+----- Forum: Old Dominion (/forum-688.html)
+------ Forum: Off Topic (/forum-766.html)
+------ Thread: OT- Corona Virus- Where do we go from here? (/thread-896143.html)

RE: OT- Corona Virus- Where do we go from here? - VB Monarch - 05-18-2020 09:16 AM

Some leaders have made it clear they don't encourage testing. Despite continued lack of sufficient testing, we'll see what figures look like a couple weeks after "re-openng"

RE: OT- Corona Virus- Where do we go from here? - ODUCoach - 05-18-2020 09:16 AM

(05-18-2020 07:45 AM)smudge12 Wrote:  The country never closed, and we pay for it with continuing deaths and long-term economic damage. I wish we followed the path of other nations and closed for a month or two; the most severe part would be over by now. Unfortunately, national leadership has been non-existent, so we'll simply live (or die) with the consequences of a hodge-podge of responses.

Considering the political climate though, the US was never going to be united in the fight. It is what it is, but that doesn't help the 90,000 dead and the 45,000 more expected to pass away (before a possible 2nd wave). We can't even agree on simple measures so we'll continue to see the pandemic drag out; besides the social toll, the economic toll is going to be unnecessarily high.

I'm honestly fascinated with this line of thinking. Our country is so much bigger and so much more diverse (in lifestyle) than the smaller countries that "closed for a month or two." What does a diner in Billings, MT have to do with the fact that the Tri-State area has 1/3 of this country's cases and deaths? Closing the diner in Billings might very well cause a loss of livelihood without adding a single data point to the coronavirus statistics.

Smudge, I know you're the in Beltway, where the problem is real, but there are many places in this country (and even within the Commonwealth) that this is no more severe than the flu or pneumonia. I just can't get on board with a one-size fits all approach, just because the nation's power players live in congested urban areas.

RE: OT- Corona Virus- Where do we go from here? - Gilesfan - 05-18-2020 09:28 AM

(05-18-2020 09:16 AM)ODUCoach Wrote:  
(05-18-2020 07:45 AM)smudge12 Wrote:  The country never closed, and we pay for it with continuing deaths and long-term economic damage. I wish we followed the path of other nations and closed for a month or two; the most severe part would be over by now. Unfortunately, national leadership has been non-existent, so we'll simply live (or die) with the consequences of a hodge-podge of responses.

Considering the political climate though, the US was never going to be united in the fight. It is what it is, but that doesn't help the 90,000 dead and the 45,000 more expected to pass away (before a possible 2nd wave). We can't even agree on simple measures so we'll continue to see the pandemic drag out; besides the social toll, the economic toll is going to be unnecessarily high.

I'm honestly fascinated with this line of thinking. Our country is so much bigger and so much more diverse (in lifestyle) than the smaller countries that "closed for a month or two." What does a diner in Billings, MT have to do with the fact that the Tri-State area has 1/3 of this country's cases and deaths? Closing the diner in Billings might very well cause a loss of livelihood without adding a single data point to the coronavirus statistics.

Smudge, I know you're the in Beltway, where the problem is real, but there are many places in this country (and even within the Commonwealth) that this is no more severe than the flu or pneumonia. I just can't get on board with a one-size fits all approach, just because the nation's power players live in congested urban areas.

I understand this but what about when the people from the big urban areas travel to small towns? Or when small town folks take vacations to the Big City and come back and infect half their town (that may not even have adequate medical facilities)?

I do agree that if we started way early on, we might have been able to shut down for 1-2 months and gotten a good head start on it but we chose to belittle the china virus for months until we say it wipe out Italy/Spain/etc.

With a late start on things (even testing wise), we have been behind the 8 ball on this virus. Poeple really need to stop comparing it to the flu/pneumonia, it is nothing like it.

For a large percentage of people, we can survive the virus.....the concern is to stop you from spreading it to other people that could not survive the virus. That includes diabetes (pre included), high blood pressure, older people, people with HIV, heart disease, etc.

This is second hand but I talked to a fellow business owner. He hads to shut down a handful of employees because one of his employees has a neighbor that tested positive AND STILL went to the employees house. I think most of us want to bleive people will do the right thing but it just doesn't happen. Too many people believe this is similar to the flu.

Im all for partial re-opening though I think it should have been started maybe a week or 2 from now, not while numbers are going through the roof. My zip code is one that has a high number of cases, for example. I do not understand how they were determined (like eating outside for example). I support slowly opening more and more as more people have access to testing. Wear masks/gloves when leaving house and avoid spending time inside business/other peoples homes.

I think people blame Northam for how this process has gone but how much of what is going on is stupid people not respecting how dangerous this virus is?

RE: OT- Corona Virus- Where do we go from here? - ODUCoach - 05-18-2020 09:58 AM

1/2 of the cases in Virginia are in NoVa. 60% of the cases in Virginia are in LTC facilities. Statewide, the 7-day moving average of new cases has been decreasing for 14 days. 21% of the state's ventilators are in use. The 7-day average for hospitalizations in Hampton Roads has been on the decline since April 9.

RE: OT- Corona Virus- Where do we go from here? - Monarchblue - 05-18-2020 10:02 AM

(05-18-2020 09:16 AM)VB Monarch Wrote:  Some leaders have made it clear they don't encourage testing. Despite continued lack of sufficient testing, we'll see what figures look like a couple weeks after "re-openng"

What is sufficient testing? We have tested 4X any other nation (last i saw). Most of the experts I hear say that we do not need to test everyone. We have enough data between testing and hospital reporting to identify flare ups and address them locally at this point. If you are waiting for 300M tests a week, you are going to be waiting for one hell of a long time. Hell giant industries that have been making toilet paper for a century can't even ramp up to increased supply in a short time, how the hell do you expect a billion tests a month to be made, distributed, and administered with such a short turnaround?

At the end of the day, this is a local problem at this point, and should be managed locally with assistance from state and federal governments for things local governments can't manage, like production and distribution of tests and PPE. I trust my city council to make the best decision for my city a hell of a lot more than I trust a governor whose pockets are lined in NOVA where the issues they are facing could not be more vastly different than the problems VB is facing.

RE: OT- Corona Virus- Where do we go from here? - Gilesfan - 05-18-2020 10:28 AM

(05-18-2020 10:02 AM)Monarchblue Wrote:  
(05-18-2020 09:16 AM)VB Monarch Wrote:  Some leaders have made it clear they don't encourage testing. Despite continued lack of sufficient testing, we'll see what figures look like a couple weeks after "re-openng"

What is sufficient testing? We have tested 4X any other nation (last i saw). Most of the experts I hear say that we do not need to test everyone. We have enough data between testing and hospital reporting to identify flare ups and address them locally at this point. If you are waiting for 300M tests a week, you are going to be waiting for one hell of a long time. Hell giant industries that have been making toilet paper for a century can't even ramp up to increased supply in a short time, how the hell do you expect a billion tests a month to be made, distributed, and administered with such a short turnaround?

At the end of the day, this is a local problem at this point, and should be managed locally with assistance from state and federal governments for things local governments can't manage, like production and distribution of tests and PPE. I trust my city council to make the best decision for my city a hell of a lot more than I trust a governor whose pockets are lined in NOVA where the issues they are facing could not be more vastly different than the problems VB is facing.

This should have been a focus in December/January and it wouldn't have been such a short turnaround.

RE: OT- Corona Virus- Where do we go from here? - Monarchblue - 05-18-2020 10:36 AM

(05-18-2020 10:28 AM)Gilesfan Wrote:  
(05-18-2020 10:02 AM)Monarchblue Wrote:  

This should have been a focus in December/January and it wouldn't have been such a short turnaround.

It was a focus early on. Problem was that previous administrations had put regulations in place that required the tests to come from the CDC, which was completely incompetent and unable to fulfill its role, so regulations had to be rolled back and private enterprise had to ramp up to meet the demand that our favorite bureaucrats were completely unable to meet. Once those hurdles had been removed, we moved at a rate that no other country could come even close to.

RE: OT- Corona Virus- Where do we go from here? - ODUCoach - 05-18-2020 10:39 AM

(05-18-2020 10:17 AM)smudge12 Wrote:  Gilesfan is correct.

Shutting down the country would have contained the virus (not eliminated it), making it easier to implement contact tracing, testing, and quarantines where necessary. Months since it appeared, we're still on a wild goose chase with no understanding in the path it's taking across the country.

I understand the economic concerns, but we're likely creating more long-term damage continuing on this path. Without a good containment effort (or vaccine), a large portion of the population is wary of spending their money outside the home. Unfortunately small businesses will suffer the most, and I'm not sure they'll survive solely on the revenue from people who aren't worried. Additionally, every death creates lost productivity potential for the nation (with the only immediate way to make it up being immigration).

We're also on the verge, and very serious issue, of being completely blocked off from other nations since we can't contain the virus. Exports and imports will continue, but I'm not sure how long the tourism industry (and I'm sure others) can last if the world isolates us for a long time.

Had we shut down, paused all loans and interest at all levels (from individuals to large businesses), and temporarily provided a monthly stipend and universal healthcare, I think we'd have been way better off. It would've still sucked, but we could have contained it by now, suffered only a month or so of economic damage, and directed resources (like testing) where it's truly needed.

This explains so much. What does it mean to "pause all loans?" If you borrowed money from me, how can the government decide to pause your repayment? I mean, I have bills I have to pay, too.

I don't mean this to sound personal, but using a global pandemic to an excuse to increase the size and scope of government is gross to me. If you want to do that, do it the right way, at the ballot box. The good news for you is that you have two teams on your side, as both major parties are totally cool with expanding government, they just want to do it at different paces and in different areas.

RE: OT- Corona Virus- Where do we go from here? - EverRespect - 05-18-2020 10:54 AM

Sounds like some of you would have been in favor of testing everyone regardless of symptoms and consent and throwing those that tested positive, regardless of symptoms and consent, into some kind of concentration camp.

Sure we could have taken such draconian measures and probably would have ended up with lower numbers, but that was never going to happen. I'm actually surprised the quarantine lasted as long as it did, but some of you sound like you'd be more comfortable in a different type of country.

RE: OT- Corona Virus- Where do we go from here? - Monarchblue - 05-18-2020 10:58 AM

Here is a bit of an eyeopener for those who want to just wag their finger at The White House.

The point Nate Silver addresses in the linked tweet within the article is one that really bugs the crap out of me. It really does go to dishonesty at this point.

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/guybenson/2020/05/18/deep-dive-inside-new-yorks-disastrous-coronavirus-response-n2568956

RE: OT- Corona Virus- Where do we go from here? - Cyniclone - 05-18-2020 10:59 AM

(05-18-2020 10:54 AM)EverRespect Wrote:  concentration camp.

[Image: spongebob.jpg]

RE: OT- Corona Virus- Where do we go from here? - EverRespect - 05-18-2020 11:05 AM

(05-18-2020 10:59 AM)Cyniclone Wrote:  
(05-18-2020 10:54 AM)EverRespect Wrote:  concentration camp.

[Image: spongebob.jpg]

Right from Smudge:

Quote:Shutting down the country would have contained the virus (not eliminated it), making it easier to implement contact tracing, testing, and quarantines where necessary.

How else would a regime of testing and "contact tracing" work? In order to do that you need to isolate (quarantine) those that test positive. While many probably don't have the capacity to see where that leads and probably have altruistic goals and outcomes in mind, the reality is that means camps.

RE: OT- Corona Virus- Where do we go from here? - Gilesfan - 05-18-2020 11:12 AM

(05-18-2020 10:58 AM)Monarchblue Wrote:  Here is a bit of an eyeopener for those who want to just wag their finger at The White House.

The point Nate Silver addresses in the linked tweet within the article is one that really bugs the crap out of me. It really does go to dishonesty at this point.

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/guybenson/2020/05/18/deep-dive-inside-new-yorks-disastrous-coronavirus-response-n2568956

I think anyone that has followed closely should understand that more tests = more positives but what does that have to do with how the white house screwed this all up?

RE: OT- Corona Virus- Where do we go from here? - AdoptedMonarch - 05-18-2020 11:22 AM

(05-18-2020 11:12 AM)Gilesfan Wrote:  
(05-18-2020 10:58 AM)Monarchblue Wrote:  Here is a bit of an eyeopener for those who want to just wag their finger at The White House.

I think anyone that has followed closely should understand that more tests = more positives but what does that have to do with how the white house screwed this all up?

Hmmm. Maybe because one goes to raising questions about the premise for continuing the lockdown. Whereas the other is an exercise in crying over spilt milk.

Kind of like they are speaking to two completely different points?

I earlier thought the Monarchblue's question regarding why some are so invested in continuing the lockdown was a bit of a cheapshot. Now I'm starting to think that he's onto something.

Fine, Giles, I also detest President Trump. But it is not him at this point who is presently driving our country to ruin.

RE: OT- Corona Virus- Where do we go from here? - AdoptedMonarch - 05-18-2020 11:24 AM

I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude ....

If we can but prevent the government from wasting the labours of the people, under the pretence of taking care of them ....

-- Thos. Jefferson

RE: OT- Corona Virus- Where do we go from here? - EverRespect - 05-18-2020 11:45 AM

(05-18-2020 11:08 AM)smudge12 Wrote:  It simply means telling them to stay home (or the hospital if it's serious), just like right now and every other time we've had viral outbreaks. There's nothing sinister at play here.

Contact tracing is trying to figure out everyone they've been in contact with, or have contacted.

Doing those two things is nothing different than the norm, and how the US and other nations have always handled outbreaks.

How do you contact trace someone that has been to, say Walmart or Lowes? And what do you do with someone while they are waiting 5 days for the test results? What do you do when the contact refuses the test? We tried this and it didn't work... virus spreads too quickly. Only way to have done it is very early, probably way earlier than we knew about it, and with total isolation from the world and with camps. Results are no worse than any other similar virus that has hit this country, especially when accounting for population/ population density, global travel, and international business that have never been in play at these levels in previous pandemics. Curious what your ideal historical outcome would be. When was it done better? Hindsight is 20/20. We need to become less globalist and we need to get some better intelligence assets in China.

RE: OT- Corona Virus- Where do we go from here? - EverRespect - 05-18-2020 11:48 AM

"Give me Liberty or Give Me Death"

Yeah, I know that wasn't Jefferson, but pretty clear how the thought leaders of that era would respond to indefinite periods of total government control.

RE: OT- Corona Virus- Where do we go from here? - EverRespect - 05-18-2020 11:56 AM

(05-18-2020 11:39 AM)smudge12 Wrote:  
(05-18-2020 11:24 AM)AdoptedMonarch Wrote:  I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude ....

If we can but prevent the government from wasting the labours of the people, under the pretence of taking care of them ....

-- Thos. Jefferson

Interestingly if Jefferson was alive today, he'd likely throw out the current Constitution, even as a strict Constitutionalist during his time.

I say that only to point out the Founding Fathers, like all humans, had very complex philosophical viewpoints. It's very easy to pick and choose their quotes without understanding the person as a whole, and the passage of time certainly never helps.

You think the colonialists didn't have epidemics? They wouldn't have lasted 2 weeks in Jamestown before going back to England and if they came back Yellow Fever, Smallpox, and Malaria would have never let them work with modern prevailing logic. Coronavirus is nothing compared to that.

RE: OT- Corona Virus- Where do we go from here? - mturn017 - 05-18-2020 11:57 AM

(05-18-2020 10:54 AM)EverRespect Wrote:  Sounds like some of you would have been in favor of testing everyone regardless of symptoms and consent and throwing those that tested positive, regardless of symptoms and consent, into some kind of concentration camp.

Sure we could have taken such draconian measures and probably would have ended up with lower numbers, but that was never going to happen. I'm actually surprised the quarantine lasted as long as it did, but some of you sound like you'd be more comfortable in a different type of country.

Like South Korea?

One of the most densely populated countries on the planet. Diagnosed first case day after the US. Testing, contact tracing, no lockdown, no concentration camps. Have had about 1/3rd the total number of cases and deaths as VA alone.

RE: OT- Corona Virus- Where do we go from here? - mturn017 - 05-18-2020 12:01 PM

(05-18-2020 11:56 AM)EverRespect Wrote:  
(05-18-2020 11:39 AM)smudge12 Wrote:  
(05-18-2020 11:24 AM)AdoptedMonarch Wrote:  I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude ....

-- Thos. Jefferson

Interestingly if Jefferson was alive today, he'd likely throw out the current Constitution, even as a strict Constitutionalist during his time.

I say that only to point out the Founding Fathers, like all humans, had very complex philosophical viewpoints. It's very easy to pick and choose their quotes without understanding the person as a whole, and the passage of time certainly never helps.

You think the colonialists didn't have epidemics? They wouldn't have lasted 2 weeks in Jamestown before going back to England and if they came back Yellow Fever, Smallpox, and Malaria would have never let them work with modern prevailing logic. Coronavirus is nothing compared to that.

You think the colonialists didn't have government mandated quarantines? We've already been through the constitutionality and historical precedent for these actions in our country.