CSNbbs
OT- Corona Virus- Where do we go from here? - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt East Team Talk (/forum-289.html)
+----- Forum: Old Dominion (/forum-688.html)
+------ Forum: Off Topic (/forum-766.html)
+------ Thread: OT- Corona Virus- Where do we go from here? (/thread-896143.html)

RE: OT- Corona Virus- Where do we go from here? - bit_9 - 03-21-2020 10:13 AM

(03-21-2020 10:04 AM)EverRespect Wrote:  
(03-21-2020 09:56 AM)ODUDrunkard13 Wrote:  
(03-20-2020 10:36 PM)EverRespect Wrote:  Not going to lie, while Im not that worried about the virus, I am a bit worried about the economy. My industry should weather this relatively well and I think I'm well positioned to survive layoffs should it get there... but you never know. Right now business development is taking a hit, but we are getting paid. If schit hits the fan, we'll circle the wagons and figure it out. Not going to set aside goals over a virus.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Feel for those in any industry looking at slowdowns or shutdowns. Luckily, I'm insulated working in the healthcare industry. No days off for us.
Im in GovCon and all of our contracts are deemed essential. Everything outside of a warehouse and a SCIF has gone remote. No new opportunities as contracting officers are focusing on execution and extending currect work as opposed to recompeting so current contracts are safe. Im in the middle of 2 proposals and both have been extended 2 months and awaiting Q&A since February.

There is a upside to that for us as well. We've had several large gov contracts in limbo for a while and with this stimulus those have been funded and are now moving forward. Hopefully that's enough to offset the other market sectors who are having the opposite happen.

RE: OT- Corona Virus- Where do we go from here? - ODUCoach - 03-21-2020 10:47 AM

This is going to make me sound like a huge insensitive jerk, but I truly do mean this to be an academic thought exercise.

Assuming all of these measures are saving the life of one 80-year-old person, let’s say with heart disease, but 10 people lose their jobs and 10 kids have their educational year completely disrupted, are the measures worth it? Basically, we have to acknowledge their are costs to every decision. How much is one life worth? I’m certainly glad I’m not in the position to have to make that call.

RE: OT- Corona Virus- Where do we go from here? - Grommet - 03-21-2020 11:17 AM

The US will probably surpass Spain today to become #3 in terms of total cases worldwide. The question is, can we keep from doubling our cases from this point forward in order to not pass Italy?

152 confirmed cases in Virginia with more presumptive cases in the wings.

RE: OT- Corona Virus- Where do we go from here? - Gilesfan - 03-21-2020 11:56 AM

(03-21-2020 10:47 AM)ODUCoach Wrote:  This is going to make me sound like a huge insensitive jerk, but I truly do mean this to be an academic thought exercise.

Assuming all of these measures are saving the life of one 80-year-old person, let’s say with heart disease, but 10 people lose their jobs and 10 kids have their educational year completely disrupted, are the measures worth it? Basically, we have to acknowledge their are costs to every decision. How much is one life worth? I’m certainly glad I’m not in the position to have to make that call.

The answer would be much easier if we were only saving old peoples lives.

RE: OT- Corona Virus- Where do we go from here? - EverRespect - 03-21-2020 12:31 PM

(03-21-2020 11:17 AM)Grommet Wrote:  The US will probably surpass Spain today to become #3 in terms of total cases worldwide. The question is, can we keep from doubling our cases from this point forward in order to not pass Italy?

Now we are testing everyone so while cases will go up, death rate is going to plummet. We are doing very well.

RE: OT- Corona Virus- Where do we go from here? - ODUDJ96 - 03-21-2020 12:43 PM

We are doing very well - as long as folks keep doing their part and stay home. I still do not know anyone who has tested positive (personal or work - and I work in a large corporate building). I’m sure that will change soon, but we’re doing great and our healthcare resources are plentiful.

RE: OT- Corona Virus- Where do we go from here? - DaBigBlue - 03-21-2020 01:09 PM

Realy how do we know how we're doing. I know many, who flat out can't get tested.

RE: OT- Corona Virus- Where do we go from here? - EverRespect - 03-21-2020 02:59 PM

(03-21-2020 01:09 PM)DaBigBlue Wrote:  Realy how do we know how we're doing. I know many, who flat out can't get tested.
But they are alive and our infrastructureis holding up well. Im sure there are tons of cases we don't know about, but that makes it even better. If you count all those that never knew they had it because they were either asymptomatic or it presented itself as a bad cold, the fatality rate gets closer and closer to the seasonal flu.

RE: OT- Corona Virus- Where do we go from here? - Grommet - 03-21-2020 03:17 PM

(03-21-2020 12:31 PM)EverRespect Wrote:  
(03-21-2020 11:17 AM)Grommet Wrote:  The US will probably surpass Spain today to become #3 in terms of total cases worldwide. The question is, can we keep from doubling our cases from this point forward in order to not pass Italy?

Now we are testing everyone so while cases will go up, death rate is going to plummet. We are doing very well.

Is a hypothetical 10,00 dead better if it's only .75% of those tested?

And I think we're too far towards the front of the bell curve to say we're doing well. I hope that ends up being correct, though.

RE: OT- Corona Virus- Where do we go from here? - Grommet - 03-21-2020 03:42 PM

Which then got me thinking...

Italy 53,578 4,825 9%
China 81,008 3,255 4%
Iran 20,610 1,556 7.5%
Spain 25,374 1,378 5%
France 14,459 562 4%
USA 24,142 288 1%
UK 5,018 233 4%
Netherlands 3,631 136 3%
S. Korea 8,799 102 1%
Germany 22,084 83 .3%***

Avg 3.8% over top 10 countries

RE: OT- Corona Virus- Where do we go from here? - ODUDJ96 - 03-21-2020 03:55 PM

(03-21-2020 01:09 PM)DaBigBlue Wrote:  Realy how do we know how we're doing. I know many, who flat out can't get tested.

I work in healthcare. We could be doing better, but things are still well in-hand at this point. Could take a hard turn in the wrong direction, but most likely not if folks do their part and stay home. But it’s definitely going to get worse before it gets better. Just need to flatten the curve.

RE: OT- Corona Virus- Where do we go from here? - Gilesfan - 03-21-2020 04:03 PM

https://medium.com/six-four-six-nine/evidence-over-hysteria-covid-19-1b767def5894

Some possible encouraging studies.

RE: OT- Corona Virus- Where do we go from here? - Justanodufan - 03-21-2020 04:26 PM

(03-21-2020 03:55 PM)ODUDJ96 Wrote:  

I work in healthcare. We could be doing better, but things are still well in-hand at this point. Could take a hard turn in the wrong direction, but most likely not if folks do their part and stay home. But it’s definitely going to get worse before it gets better. Just need to flatten the curve.

Problem there are just enough people that won’t do their part.

I dropped off all of my excess unopened n95 masks (calm down I wasn't hoarding them, many people where I live have them) at a donation site for one of the hospitals in my area and on my drive there I noticed that people can’t (or won’t) even practice social distancing.

RE: OT- Corona Virus- Where do we go from here? - ODUDJ96 - 03-21-2020 08:20 PM

(03-21-2020 04:26 PM)Justanodufan Wrote:  
(03-21-2020 03:55 PM)ODUDJ96 Wrote:  

Problem there are just enough people that won’t do their part.

I dropped off all of my excess unopened n95 masks (calm down I wasn't hoarding them, many people where I live have them) at a donation site for one of the hospitals in my area and on my drive there I noticed that people can’t (or won’t) even practice social distancing.

Your contribution is greatly appreciated! Every mask is critical. Locals are being asked to sew masks for our hospitals to also help contribute. But everyone needs to do their most important part and stay home!

RE: OT- Corona Virus- Where do we go from here? - Grommet - 03-21-2020 09:48 PM

(03-21-2020 04:03 PM)Gilesfan Wrote:  https://medium.com/six-four-six-nine/evidence-over-hysteria-covid-19-1b767def5894

I'm not particularly inclined to believe Ginn, nor Imperial College. Both have an agenda. Sort of like Fox and CNN.

As with most things in life, I find my thinking somewhere in the middle.

Now I think it's time to shut down the computer and follow-up on someone's earleier suggestion. Carpe diem, y'all.04-cheers

RE: OT- Corona Virus- Where do we go from here? - Gilesfan - 03-21-2020 09:50 PM

Not that I'm saying you should believe either, but what is the agenda, in your opinion?

RE: OT- Corona Virus- Where do we go from here? - ODUDJ96 - 03-21-2020 10:03 PM

(03-21-2020 09:48 PM)Grommet Wrote:  
(03-21-2020 04:03 PM)Gilesfan Wrote:  https://medium.com/six-four-six-nine/evidence-over-hysteria-covid-19-1b767def5894

I'm not particularly inclined to believe Ginn, nor Imperial College. Both have an agenda. Sort of like Fox and CNN.

As with most things in life, I find my thinking somewhere in the middle.

Now I think it's time to shut down the computer and follow-up on someone's earleier suggestion. Carpe diem, y'all.04-cheers

Yes, indeed04-cheers Don’t let this isolation time go to waste! Get yours and help the future economy! We’re counting on you!

OT- Corona Virus- Where do we go from here? - EverRespect - 03-22-2020 08:23 AM

Now 8 days in. Pretty clear at this point that there is no outbreak in this area. There have been something like 25 cases (most in Williamsburg) and the social distancing may have helped keep the numbers from multiplying... but at what point can we quarantine off NYC and other hotbeds so the rest of us can live our lives? Another week?

RE: OT- Corona Virus- Where do we go from here? - Gilesfan - 03-22-2020 08:31 AM

(03-22-2020 08:23 AM)EverRespect Wrote:  Now 8 days in. Pretty clear at this point that there is no outbreak in this area. There have been something like 25 cases (most in Williamsburg) and the social distancing may have helped keep the numbers from multiplying... but at what point can we quarantine off NYC and other hotbeds so the rest of us can live our lives? Another week?

We are weeks away

RE: OT- Corona Virus- Where do we go from here? - bit_9 - 03-22-2020 08:34 AM

(03-22-2020 08:23 AM)EverRespect Wrote:  Now 8 days in. Pretty clear at this point that there is no outbreak in this area. There have been something like 25 cases (most in Williamsburg) and the social distancing may have helped keep the numbers from multiplying... but at what point can we quarantine off NYC and other hotbeds so the rest of us can live our lives? Another week?

I think give it another week or 2 before weaning back to normalcy. Given the long incubation period social distancing will probably be going on a while to be safe.