CSNbbs
OT- Corona Virus- Where do we go from here? - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt East Team Talk (/forum-289.html)
+----- Forum: Old Dominion (/forum-688.html)
+------ Forum: Off Topic (/forum-766.html)
+------ Thread: OT- Corona Virus- Where do we go from here? (/thread-896143.html)

RE: OT- Corona Virus- Where do we go from here? - Monarchblue - 04-09-2020 10:56 AM

(04-09-2020 10:47 AM)Gilesfan Wrote:  
(04-09-2020 10:26 AM)Monarchblue Wrote:  
(04-09-2020 10:00 AM)Gilesfan Wrote:  The 2 million estimate was based on doing nothing as a country. Maybe total failure is strong bc we did better than "nothing."

So we have a death rate that is 3x what it should be based on percentage of population, we are stuck at home, and the economy has tanked. Should this be considered anything other than a failure?

Granted, social distancing measures are needed right now and have been done. Thats because we are paying for our sins in December, January, and February.

I don't believe this, but I don't understand how you cannot... If 2M is the estimate based on doing nothing, and we have brought that number down to 60k, which in reality, probably ends up being more like 30K if you consider the fact that every model that ever models anything seems to be wrong in the same direction... too high, then how can you say we have been a total failure?

Your "based on percentage of population" assertion is a really basic way of looking at things. I think we can agree that the situation was handled poorly in NY. If you take one city out of the mix, your assessment would need to change dramatically. Your method also does not account for differences in the ways that countries apply cause of death. We know that Italy has gone back and determined that as few as 12.5% of the deaths they originally attributed to COVID, were not in fact COVID caused deaths. We are beginning to see the same questions raised here. We do know that we see a significant reduction in Pneumonia attributed deaths this year, which tends to indicate that we are attributing too many deaths to COVID at this time. It just isn't an apples to apples way to assess the numbers at all.

Its not an either/or scenario. It seems like a very simple minded point of view if you say "they predicted 2 million deaths, we only have 60k so we did everything right!" The predicted 2 million deaths were with no social distancing. What I don't have is what the estimates would have been had we done proper social distancing...or if we tested early and often....or if we tested everyone...or if we ramped up production of ventilators 2 months ago...or if we restricted travel sooner...etc.

What we can get a gauge on is how we have fared vs. other countries. We should have less than 4.5% of the total deaths worldwide (since we are later than almost everyone else), yet we probably have 15% at this point. Adjust for a range of error and we still have way more deaths than our counterparts. With that number, we also have some drastic social distancing measures.

Based on all the information available, the best course of action against this virus was to act early. Do you think we acted early? Do you think we were prepared? We clearly saw what was happening to China and Italy, why were we not prepared?

Right now we are at 15,000 coronavirus deaths and we are 3 days from the expected peak (countrywide). The next 2 weeks are going to be very deadly. I don't see how its possibly we only have 15,000 more deaths from this virus.

https://covid19.healthdata.org/united-states-of-america

You seemed to have moved the goal post completely out of the stadium and a few miles down the road here. We went from this was a "total failure" to "we didn't do everything right". I think we are closer to agreement now. I still think we were fine in over 90% of the country, but failed miserably in NY.

I don't believe we ever ran out of ventilators, even in NYC. They had ventilators in storage that were waiting to be deployed, but were not needed. I am not 100% on that one, but that is how I interpreted comments from Cuomo.

RE: OT- Corona Virus- Where do we go from here? - Gilesfan - 04-09-2020 11:04 AM

Ok, it was not a total failure because we actually did act. Total failure would have been do nothing. It was the next step up from total failure.

RE: OT- Corona Virus- Where do we go from here? - ODUCoach - 04-09-2020 11:31 AM

(04-09-2020 10:51 AM)Gilesfan Wrote:  
(04-09-2020 10:35 AM)ODUCoach Wrote:  Maybe it's a matter of perspective. Virginia cases are at 4,000. Honestly, if that number was 5x and was sitting at 20,000 with 500 deaths, I'd still be wondering if it made sense to shut down the entire state economy over this.

Without social distancing you aren't talking about 5x the number of deaths. You are talking about 100x the number of deaths. Just doing a rough(obviously not 100%) pro rata calculation, based on no social distancing, 50,000 deaths in Virginia; 10,000 or so coming from Hampton Roads. Thats probably a hair pessimistic but even so, the numbers without social distancing would have been far greater than 2500 deaths in Virginia.

So, we both know these are educated guesses, but that's fine. Let's assume it's correct. What do you think would have been the result if we followed the Swedish model? Give fair social distancing recommendations, tell high risk folks to stay home, but for the most part, let people make their own choices. That's honestly what I hope we do moving forward, but I really worry that many are just ok with staying completely locked down until the Governor decides it's safe.

RE: OT- Corona Virus- Where do we go from here? - EverRespect - 04-09-2020 11:48 AM

(04-09-2020 10:35 AM)ODUCoach Wrote:  Maybe it's a matter of perspective. Virginia cases are at 4,000. Honestly, if that number was 5x and was sitting at 20,000 with 500 deaths, I'd still be wondering if it made sense to shut down the entire state economy over this.

Without social distancing you aren't talking about 5x the number of deaths. You are talking about 100x the number of deaths. Just doing a rough(obviously not 100%) pro rata calculation, based on no social distancing, 50,000 deaths in Virginia; 10,000 or so coming from Hampton Roads. Thats probably a hair pessimistic but even so, the numbers without social distancing would have been far greater than 2500 deaths in Virginia.

So we’re gonna have hurricanes this year! Could be a Cat 1 in Ocracoke in July, or maybe a Cat 4 in Tampa in September. Or maybe at Cat 2 in Miami in August. In any case, let’s evacuate the entire Atlantic Seaboard this week and burn every house. It will save lives.

RE: OT- Corona Virus- Where do we go from here? - Grommet - 04-09-2020 12:00 PM

(04-08-2020 06:11 PM)Grommet Wrote:  
(04-08-2020 06:10 PM)Grommet Wrote:  
(04-07-2020 05:49 AM)Grommet Wrote:  
(04-05-2020 10:58 AM)Grommet Wrote:  
(04-04-2020 10:59 AM)Grommet Wrote:  4/04: 21,552 tested, 2407 positive...11.1%

4/05: 23,671 tested, 2637 positive...11.1%

4/06: 24,521 tested, 2878 positive...11.7%

4/07: 28,645 tested, 3333...11.6%

4/08: 30,645 tested, 3545 positive...11.9%

4/09: 33,026 tested, 4042 positive...12.2%

RE: OT- Corona Virus- Where do we go from here? - Gilesfan - 04-09-2020 12:12 PM

(04-09-2020 11:31 AM)ODUCoach Wrote:  

So, we both know these are educated guesses, but that's fine. Let's assume it's correct. What do you think would have been the result if we followed the Swedish model? Give fair social distancing recommendations, tell high risk folks to stay home, but for the most part, let people make their own choices. That's honestly what I hope we do moving forward, but I really worry that many are just ok with staying completely locked down until the Governor decides it's safe.

Without in depth research, it probably would have worked pretty well if we started it a couple months ago. We waited to late to try and implement their model.

Im more than happy to stay completely locked down to be honest. I'm loving it. (not financially, but we've been able to manage as it's only be 3 weeks)

RE: OT- Corona Virus- Where do we go from here? - ODUCoach - 04-09-2020 12:19 PM

I'm hating it, and it's probably financially benefitting me since I'm working from home with the same income and I'm spending a lot less on kids' activities. But, I'm a social person and quite honestly, from a mental health perspective, the lack of interaction is definitely having an impact on me.

I don't want anyone to think that I'm promoting going back to "normal life" right now. But, I think those of us who are healthy, if we want to take the "risk" of playing ball with our friends or going to our friends' houses, we should be able to do that. I have two very dear friends in nursing homes who I would normally visit quite frequently, I'd never take a risk visiting them right now, but for my buddy who is my age and healthy, sure, I'd go to his house to play cards.

RE: OT- Corona Virus- Where do we go from here? - Cyniclone - 04-09-2020 12:24 PM

(04-09-2020 11:48 AM)EverRespect Wrote:  

So we’re gonna have hurricanes this year! Could be a Cat 1 in Ocracoke in July, or maybe a Cat 4 in Tampa in September. Or maybe at Cat 2 in Miami in August. In any case, let’s evacuate the entire Atlantic Seaboard this week and burn every house. It will save lives.

There's a hurricane warning! Eh, it's probably some narrative. It's sunny now and I bet it doesn't hit. Certainly no reason to shut down the economy because of some government-mandated evacuations; I thought this was America. I'll wait until we're in the quote-unquote eyewall before I head out to get supplies.

RE: OT- Corona Virus- Where do we go from here? - Gilesfan - 04-09-2020 12:41 PM

Actually, I got Sweden and Finland mixed up. Finland was the model I had in my head.

Sweden doesn't sound like its doing all that great. https://time.com/5817412/sweden-coronavirus/

RE: OT- Corona Virus- Where do we go from here? - Gilesfan - 04-09-2020 12:42 PM

Its impossible to have intelligent, thought provoking conversations with you. I want to believe you are just trolling by comparing the coronavirus to a Cat 1 hurricane in Ocracoke.

RE: OT- Corona Virus- Where do we go from here? - Monarchblue - 04-09-2020 03:07 PM

(04-09-2020 12:24 PM)Cyniclone Wrote:  

There's a hurricane warning! Eh, it's probably some narrative. It's sunny now and I bet it doesn't hit. Certainly no reason to shut down the economy because of some government-mandated evacuations; I thought this was America. I'll wait until we're in the quote-unquote eyewall before I head out to get supplies.

Boy, you walked into one there. Our nanny Gov actually evacuated tens of thousands of people over a hurricane that didn't even come close to hitting us not too long ago. When do we start holding people accountable for overreacting, overhyping, etc?

RE: OT- Corona Virus- Where do we go from here? - EverRespect - 04-09-2020 03:27 PM

(04-09-2020 03:07 PM)Monarchblue Wrote:  

Boy, you walked into one there. Our nanny Gov actually evacuated tens of thousands of people over a hurricane that didn't even come close to hitting us not too long ago. When do we start holding people accountable for overreacting, overhyping, etc?

My son missed 4 days of school and we didn't get a single drop of rain on the peninsula!

RE: OT- Corona Virus- Where do we go from here? - odu09 - 04-09-2020 03:59 PM

You guys are debating hurricanes for real?

RE: OT- Corona Virus- Where do we go from here? - Cyniclone - 04-09-2020 04:11 PM

(04-09-2020 03:07 PM)Monarchblue Wrote:  

Yeah, better to have just let them stay where they are and hope for the best. And if the hurricane hits, well, if they were meant to survive then they would have survived. MUCH more responsible to blow off the hurricane threat than to react with all due caution.

OT- Corona Virus- Where do we go from here? - Monarchblue - 04-09-2020 05:05 PM

Better not to make a decision that will affect tons of people and have a major economic impact until you have enough data to be relatively certain of your best option.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

OT- Corona Virus- Where do we go from here? - bit_9 - 04-09-2020 05:16 PM

At this point none of yall are changing anyone's minds.

So I will ask something else. For those at home what is something you've learned.

Thankfully my entire firm was able to work from home and I've learned that is nearly impossible with a 3 and 7 year old at home. There is no safe space to hold a meeting.

On the bright side they are loving having me home.

RE: OT- Corona Virus- Where do we go from here? - Gilesfan - 04-09-2020 05:20 PM

(04-09-2020 05:05 PM)Monarchblue Wrote:  Better not to make a decision that will affect tons of people and have a major economic impact until you have enough data to be relatively certain of your best option.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

If thats what the US did with Corona, that wasnt the wise decision

RE: OT- Corona Virus- Where do we go from here? - benny_t - 04-09-2020 05:55 PM

(04-09-2020 05:16 PM)bit_9 Wrote:  At this point none of yall are changing anyone's minds.

So I will ask something else. For those at home what is something you've learned.

Thankfully my entire firm was able to work from home and I've learned that is nearly impossible with a 3 and 7 year old at home. There is no safe space to hold a meeting.

Past 2 weeks I worked from home 3 days. The first week was actually really productive. 3 kids 6 or under and a wife and this week was nowhere near as productive. Starting next week I'm working from home full time so hopefully they will be used to it.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

RE: OT- Corona Virus- Where do we go from here? - bit_9 - 04-09-2020 06:10 PM

(04-09-2020 05:55 PM)benny_t Wrote:  
(04-09-2020 05:16 PM)bit_9 Wrote:  At this point none of yall are changing anyone's minds.

Past 2 weeks I worked from home 3 days. The first week was actually really productive. 3 kids 6 or under and a wife and this week was nowhere near as productive. Starting next week I'm working from home full time so hopefully they will be used to it.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
I'm about to move my office up into our bedroom so I can close and lock door during meetings. My wife is also due in 55 days so I'm doing as much as I can to relieve stress on her at the same time. But ya. Need a safe space.

RE: OT- Corona Virus- Where do we go from here? - odu09 - 04-09-2020 08:01 PM

Turns out that working in an office for 8-9 hours at a time really isn't all that necessary. I think our office would function just fine if we didn't have a common workplace. I would have never expected that a month ago, but turns out we humans are pretty damn good at adapting.