CSNbbs
OT- Corona Virus- Where do we go from here? - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt East Team Talk (/forum-289.html)
+----- Forum: Old Dominion (/forum-688.html)
+------ Forum: Off Topic (/forum-766.html)
+------ Thread: OT- Corona Virus- Where do we go from here? (/thread-896143.html)

RE: OT- Corona Virus- Where do we go from here? - Gilesfan - 09-23-2020 01:06 PM

How soon do we hear vaccines cause cancer? (like french fries do)

RE: OT- Corona Virus- Where do we go from here? - Cyniclone - 09-23-2020 01:19 PM

(09-23-2020 01:01 PM)ODUCoach Wrote:  
(09-23-2020 01:00 PM)Cyniclone Wrote:  
(09-23-2020 11:28 AM)ODUCoach Wrote:  I'm also coaching youth soccer where they've eliminated throw-ins.

Which is again a weird line to draw. It's been some time since I've had to watch youth soccer so I can only presume that there's still a lot less contact than at the pro level. U suppose you can make the case that a throw-in invites more contact since it's the equivalent of an inbounds play in basketball, and even kids are going to be posting up on opponents to get free for the pass or intercept. But even then, if they believe that the danger is that great, then they probably shouldn't play at all.

(Going back to the Kentucky jump-ball story: if jump balls should be eliminated, inbounds plays are probably way worse for the kind of behavior you're trying to limit).

I was thinking rebounding...

That's true but there's no effective way to control rebounding with a rule change, short of mandating a change of possession or using alternating possession after every miss. At that point, you might as well be playing netball.

RE: OT- Corona Virus- Where do we go from here? - ODUCoach - 09-23-2020 01:19 PM

(09-23-2020 12:14 PM)Monarchblue Wrote:  So this is where we are now? How does this ever end?

Murphy from NJ has that answer for you:

RE: OT- Corona Virus- Where do we go from here? - Monarchblue - 09-23-2020 02:07 PM

(09-23-2020 01:04 PM)mturn017 Wrote:  
(09-23-2020 12:14 PM)Monarchblue Wrote:  So this is where we are now? How does this ever end? I read an article yesterday that raised that question, and posited that it seems many are more motivated by enforcement of measures than they are by whether or not measures are accomplishing anything. Example: People freaking out over someone not wearing a mask when they are outdoors and not with 6 feet of other people. The farther we go down this rabbit hole, and the more people become enforcement obsessed, or control obsessed to be more accurate, the harder it is going to be for us to ever move away from these new cultural expectations. I am wondering if we will be frowned upon for not wearing masks in public for 2 years at this point. I just don't see what will ultimately denote the end of the hysteria at this point. We already know that most of the people from one political side of the aisle are saying they won't take the vaccine, which I suspect will change if we have a new president when it comes time for us to actually get our vaccine, but if we have to wear masks until the virus is eradicated, and we are looking at a vaccine that likely will not be more than 50% effective to begin with coupled with a society where currently something like 30% of the population says they are willing to take the vaccine, then where the hell is the endgame? The coronasteria crew has never told us where the endgame lies, and has just continued to tell us to just keep our heads down and push forward. After all, "We are in this together". At some point someone is going to have to put their foot down and say enough is enough. If we are going to keep down this path, then we demand that somebody tell us what the hell we need to accomplish to end this nonsense.

All of this right here is either inaccurate or doesn't make sense. Democrats have always polled more likely to get a vaccine so I'm not sure that a change in POTUS is likely to make Republicans more likely to get a vaccine. And while current polling shows concern across all demographics about political pressure rushing a vaccine and the safety of such a vaccine there's still a slight majority of Americans that say they would likely or definitely get one when it's available. And the minimum efficacy rate of any vaccine to be approved is 50% but will likely be a good deal higher than that.

https://www.pewresearch.org/science/2020/09/17/u-s-public-now-divided-over-whether-to-get-covid-19-vaccine/

My bad on the 30% number. I had read that one backwards. It was 1 in 3 that will NOT get the vaccine, but What I have seen from Fauci and other experts is that 50%-60% is likely where the vaccine efficacy will fall.

RE: OT- Corona Virus- Where do we go from here? - Monarchblue - 09-23-2020 02:09 PM

(09-23-2020 01:19 PM)ODUCoach Wrote:  
(09-23-2020 12:14 PM)Monarchblue Wrote:  So this is where we are now? How does this ever end?

That is just insane. How do you think Americans would have reacted if that initial 2 weeks to slow the spread lie we were told at the outset was instead the truth. That we are going to be at this for 12-18 months and will not remove restrictions until there is not one death from COVID? People would have rightly lost their minds and none of this would have been accepted by the public.

RE: OT- Corona Virus- Where do we go from here? - Chillie Willie - 09-23-2020 02:52 PM

(09-23-2020 02:09 PM)Monarchblue Wrote:  

That is just insane. How do you think Americans would have reacted if that initial 2 weeks to slow the spread lie we were told at the outset was instead the truth. That we are going to be at this for 12-18 months and will not remove restrictions until there is not one death from COVID? People would have rightly lost their minds and none of this would have been accepted by the public.

I can’t imagine that would be the stated end game. He says it is a goal, which it should be. Similar to eliminating cancer being a goal. Will we ever get there? Probably not, but it’s not impossible.

It sure would be nice to have an end game. But I think it would be better suited for restriction-specific milestones. Like we remove gathering limits when % positive tests are <6% or something like that. I think there are some out there that have been stated but not for every restriction. That is what we need.

RE: OT- Corona Virus- Where do we go from here? - Chillie Willie - 09-23-2020 02:59 PM

Regarding the Kentucky coin toss issue, not sure why everyone is getting riled up about this. It won’t do anything to prevent COVID, and presenting it as such is misleading. But in my eyes it is a natural progression of the game. Ever since we went to alternating possession, I have been wondering when they were going to eliminate the jump ball. It is meaningless other than tradition. Football has a coin toss, why not basketball? And schools could save $$ by not having to paint circles at mid court.

RE: OT- Corona Virus- Where do we go from here? - ODUCoach - 09-23-2020 03:04 PM

(09-23-2020 02:52 PM)Chillie Willie Wrote:  It sure would be nice to have an end game. But I think it would be better suited for restriction-specific milestones. Like we remove gathering limits when % positive tests are <6% or something like that. I think there are some out there that have been stated but not for every restriction. That is what we need.

A number of us having been saying this all along. The Governor was asked for some targets in his last presser and he dodged the question. It's so frustrating.

RE: OT- Corona Virus- Where do we go from here? - Monarchblue - 09-23-2020 03:14 PM

(09-23-2020 02:52 PM)Chillie Willie Wrote:  
(09-23-2020 02:09 PM)Monarchblue Wrote:  

I can’t imagine that would be the stated end game. He says it is a goal, which it should be. Similar to eliminating cancer being a goal. Will we ever get there? Probably not, but it’s not impossible.

It sure would be nice to have an end game. But I think it would be better suited for restriction-specific milestones. Like we remove gathering limits when % positive tests are <6% or something like that. I think there are some out there that have been stated but not for every restriction. That is what we need.

To me this is what an endgame should look like, but the politicians do not like setting those numbers because once they are achieved they have to actually lift restrictions, which they have very little intention of doing, for whatever reason.

Look at VB schools. They took exactly that approach, then when those numbers were relatively quickly achieved, which the coronasteria crew did not believe was possible, they went back and tried to get them to change the targets. Luckily, the School Board stood up to that, but unfortunately VB Schools still wasn't ready to start when they said they would, because they bought into the hype machine and though it would take months to achieve the numbers that were achieved in weeks.

RE: OT- Corona Virus- Where do we go from here? - ODUCoach - 09-23-2020 03:15 PM

How is school reopening going? I mean, surely by now, teachers are falling dead in the hallways, right?

Not exactly:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/education/feared-covid-outbreaks-in-schools-yet-to-arrive-early-data-shows/2020/09/23/0509bb84-fd22-11ea-b555-4d71a9254f4b_story.html

https://statsiq.co1.qualtrics.com/public-dashboard/v0/dashboard/5f62eaee4451ae001535c839#/dashboard/5f62eaee4451ae001535c839?pageId=Page_1ac6a6bc-92b6-423e-9f7a-259a18648318

RE: OT- Corona Virus- Where do we go from here? - mturn017 - 09-23-2020 03:24 PM

(09-23-2020 03:15 PM)ODUCoach Wrote:  How is school reopening going? I mean, surely by now, teachers are falling dead in the hallways, right?

Not exactly:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/education/feared-covid-outbreaks-in-schools-yet-to-arrive-early-data-shows/2020/09/23/0509bb84-fd22-11ea-b555-4d71a9254f4b_story.html

https://statsiq.co1.qualtrics.com/public-dashboard/v0/dashboard/5f62eaee4451ae001535c839#/dashboard/5f62eaee4451ae001535c839?pageId=Page_1ac6a6bc-92b6-423e-9f7a-259a18648318

We got an email from our school board saying that a teacher had tested positive (even though my daughter doesn't go to that school) and they were doing tracing or something. Word on the grapevine there were more positives as well but that wasn't disclosed.

There have been a handful of deaths of teachers nationwide as well. Some younger. Not all necessarily caught it from a school setting.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jemimamcevoy/2020/09/10/at-least-6-american-teachers-some-in-their-20s-and-30s-dead-from-covid-19/#777da4434049

RE: OT- Corona Virus- Where do we go from here? - mturn017 - 09-23-2020 03:30 PM

(09-23-2020 02:07 PM)Monarchblue Wrote:  
(09-23-2020 01:04 PM)mturn017 Wrote:  
(09-23-2020 12:14 PM)Monarchblue Wrote:  So this is where we are now? How does this ever end? I read an article yesterday that raised that question, and posited that it seems many are more motivated by enforcement of measures than they are by whether or not measures are accomplishing anything. Example: People freaking out over someone not wearing a mask when they are outdoors and not with 6 feet of other people. The farther we go down this rabbit hole, and the more people become enforcement obsessed, or control obsessed to be more accurate, the harder it is going to be for us to ever move away from these new cultural expectations. I am wondering if we will be frowned upon for not wearing masks in public for 2 years at this point. I just don't see what will ultimately denote the end of the hysteria at this point. We already know that most of the people from one political side of the aisle are saying they won't take the vaccine, which I suspect will change if we have a new president when it comes time for us to actually get our vaccine, but if we have to wear masks until the virus is eradicated, and we are looking at a vaccine that likely will not be more than 50% effective to begin with coupled with a society where currently something like 30% of the population says they are willing to take the vaccine, then where the hell is the endgame? The coronasteria crew has never told us where the endgame lies, and has just continued to tell us to just keep our heads down and push forward. After all, "We are in this together". At some point someone is going to have to put their foot down and say enough is enough. If we are going to keep down this path, then we demand that somebody tell us what the hell we need to accomplish to end this nonsense.

All of this right here is either inaccurate or doesn't make sense. Democrats have always polled more likely to get a vaccine so I'm not sure that a change in POTUS is likely to make Republicans more likely to get a vaccine. And while current polling shows concern across all demographics about political pressure rushing a vaccine and the safety of such a vaccine there's still a slight majority of Americans that say they would likely or definitely get one when it's available. And the minimum efficacy rate of any vaccine to be approved is 50% but will likely be a good deal higher than that.

https://www.pewresearch.org/science/2020/09/17/u-s-public-now-divided-over-whether-to-get-covid-19-vaccine/

My bad on the 30% number. I had read that one backwards. It was 1 in 3 that will NOT get the vaccine, but What I have seen from Fauci and other experts is that 50%-60% is likely where the vaccine efficacy will fall.

It's like around 50% now after worries of Trump rushing it through but yes a few months ago it was about 65% saying they would. Which should bring about herd immunity if we reach that number. Easily so if your 20% theory is correct.

50% is the minimum that a vaccine has to achieve to be approved at all. The early human trials were very promising but noone has seen the data on any of the expanded trials so there's no way of knowing what the efficacy would be.

RE: OT- Corona Virus- Where do we go from here? - 12thmonarch - 09-23-2020 03:31 PM

(09-23-2020 03:15 PM)ODUCoach Wrote:  How is school reopening going? I mean, surely by now, teachers are falling dead in the hallways, right?

Not exactly:

I don't know about rest of the country but our school district here in GA did take a lot of precautions and offered all kinds of tools to cover parents and students in face-to-face, remote and a hybrid instruction systems this first quarter and so far we are doing pretty good with only 4 kids, one student counselor and one janitorial staff testing positive and they were quarantined as soon they were found so. With results being so good the school system is providing option to return back to face to face instruction for kids who chose to be hybrid or remote for the first quarter and we are thinking of sending our kid to the school for the second quarter.

RE: OT- Corona Virus- Where do we go from here? - mturn017 - 09-23-2020 03:36 PM

We opted out altogether this year. She's homeschooling not distance learning. Figured if she was going to be schooling at home we didn't want to be beholden to the school system. So far so good.

RE: OT- Corona Virus- Where do we go from here? - AdoptedMonarch - 09-23-2020 03:41 PM

(09-23-2020 02:59 PM)Chillie Willie Wrote:  Regarding the Kentucky coin toss issue, not sure why everyone is getting riled up about this. It won’t do anything to prevent COVID, and presenting it as such is misleading. But in my eyes it is a natural progression of the game. Ever since we went to alternating possession, I have been wondering when they were going to eliminate the jump ball. It is meaningless other than tradition. Football has a coin toss, why not basketball? And schools could save $$ by not having to paint circles at mid court.

I've never understood the reasoning for getting rid of the jump ball after tie ups. Was it causing injuries? Were refs getting weary throwing the ball up into the air?

Going with the alternating-arrow system seems to me to have diluted some of the strategic aspects of waiting to force a tie up when the ball in is in the hands of a smaller guard, for the team trying to regain possession, or deciding whether to use your big players to take the ball up court, if you are anticipating having to defend against an attempted tie up.

RE: OT- Corona Virus- Where do we go from here? - AdoptedMonarch - 09-23-2020 03:47 PM

(09-23-2020 03:36 PM)mturn017 Wrote:  We opted out altogether this year. She's homeschooling not distance learning. Figured if she was going to be schooling at home we didn't want to be beholden to the school system. So far so good.

You have my sincere respect. That is plainly the best option, particularly if you have a self-disciplined student - - and it sounds like you do.

There is no way that my wife and I, even working tag team, could have homeschooled our three kids - - particularly our son. It would have ended with a call to Child Protective Services (most likely self-reporting on our part).

RE: OT- Corona Virus- Where do we go from here? - 12thmonarch - 09-23-2020 03:49 PM

(09-23-2020 03:36 PM)mturn017 Wrote:  We opted out altogether this year. She's homeschooling not distance learning. Figured if she was going to be schooling at home we didn't want to be beholden to the school system. So far so good.

Good for you and your kid and that makes sense. We were wrestling with some of the ways we can submit the homework on clever(learnt about so many online resources for kids that i never knew existed) and it gets frustrating some times esp when my wife or I had to jump on a call to take care of our work issues in the middle of this. Homeschooling makes perfect sense for any parent who has the willingness and bandwidth to sit down and work with their kids for a good 4 hours of the day.

RE: OT- Corona Virus- Where do we go from here? - 12thmonarch - 09-23-2020 03:50 PM

(09-23-2020 03:47 PM)AdoptedMonarch Wrote:  

You have my sincere respect. That is plainly the best option, particularly if you have a self-disciplined student - - and it sounds like you do.

There is no way that my wife and I, even working tag team, could have homeschooled our three kids - - particularly our son. It would have ended with a call to Child Protective Services (most likely self-reporting on our part).

03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao

RE: OT- Corona Virus- Where do we go from here? - Chillie Willie - 09-23-2020 04:36 PM

(09-23-2020 03:24 PM)mturn017 Wrote:  

Not exactly:

We got an email from our school board saying that a teacher had tested positive (even though my daughter doesn't go to that school) and they were doing tracing or something. Word on the grapevine there were more positives as well but that wasn't disclosed.

There have been a handful of deaths of teachers nationwide as well. Some younger. Not all necessarily caught it from a school setting.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jemimamcevoy/2020/09/10/at-least-6-american-teachers-some-in-their-20s-and-30s-dead-from-covid-19/#777da4434049

We got a call about a COVID case at school but only administrators are physically at the school so I’m not sure how that affects us. Not a lot of details.

RE: OT- Corona Virus- Where do we go from here? - Chillie Willie - 09-23-2020 04:40 PM

(09-23-2020 03:41 PM)AdoptedMonarch Wrote:  
(09-23-2020 02:59 PM)Chillie Willie Wrote:  Regarding the Kentucky coin toss issue, not sure why everyone is getting riled up about this. It won’t do anything to prevent COVID, and presenting it as such is misleading. But in my eyes it is a natural progression of the game. Ever since we went to alternating possession, I have been wondering when they were going to eliminate the jump ball. It is meaningless other than tradition. Football has a coin toss, why not basketball? And schools could save $$ by not having to paint circles at mid court.

I've never understood the reasoning for getting rid of the jump ball after tie ups. Was it causing injuries? Were refs getting weary throwing the ball up into the air?

Going with the alternating-arrow system seems to me to have diluted some of the strategic aspects of waiting to force a tie up when the ball in is in the hands of a smaller guard, for the team trying to regain possession, or deciding whether to use your big players to take the ball up court, if you are anticipating having to defend against an attempted tie up.

You must be very skilled to have the option to decide when strategically to initiate a held ball. I would just take advantage of the first opportunity. And I would always have my best ball handler (or best FT shooter, depending on the situation) take the ball up the court. Whether they be 4’ or 8’.