CSNbbs
OT- Corona Virus- Where do we go from here? - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt East Team Talk (/forum-289.html)
+----- Forum: Old Dominion (/forum-688.html)
+------ Forum: Off Topic (/forum-766.html)
+------ Thread: OT- Corona Virus- Where do we go from here? (/thread-896143.html)

RE: OT- Corona Virus- Where do we go from here? - mturn017 - 08-20-2020 10:16 AM

(08-20-2020 09:53 AM)VB Monarch Wrote:  IMO this thread is interesting because we see so many diverse opinions, yet for the most part we're able to carry on a mostly civil conversation. I ask my self why we can do it here but it seems impossible in the larger world.. The answer to me is we have one unifying thing in common and that is ODU. This one unifier is exactly what is missing in our national discussion. Maybe if we could spend more time identifying our similarities we'd all be a lot happier.

Interesting theory but a look at some of the threads regarding the state of our basketball program would suggest that unifying thing isn't necessarily going to keep us civil. I think maybe we're making an effort. For my part, certainly left leaning in a very red part of the state I've had to reconcile that most of my neighbors voted for a man I despise and can't fathom how anyone would think is fit for the job. I like my neighbors, they're good people. Talking with people at my daughter's softball games it's clear we have more in common than we don't and even if we're far apart on most things it's easy enough to be friendly to someone who is friendly back. Deep down, we all just want to raise our families and live our lives with an opportunity to succeed. It's easy to forget the basics of humanity and tie each disagreement back to that.

RE: OT- Corona Virus- Where do we go from here? - BigBlueMonarch - 08-20-2020 10:53 AM

(08-20-2020 10:16 AM)mturn017 Wrote:  
(08-20-2020 09:53 AM)VB Monarch Wrote:  IMO this thread is interesting because we see so many diverse opinions, yet for the most part we're able to carry on a mostly civil conversation. I ask my self why we can do it here but it seems impossible in the larger world.. The answer to me is we have one unifying thing in common and that is ODU. This one unifier is exactly what is missing in our national discussion. Maybe if we could spend more time identifying our similarities we'd all be a lot happier.

Interesting theory but a look at some of the threads regarding the state of our basketball program would suggest that unifying thing isn't necessarily going to keep us civil. I think maybe we're making an effort. For my part, certainly left leaning in a very red part of the state I've had to reconcile that most of my neighbors voted for a man I despise and can't fathom how anyone would think is fit for the job. I like my neighbors, they're good people. Talking with people at my daughter's softball games it's clear we have more in common than we don't and even if we're far apart on most things it's easy enough to be friendly to someone who is friendly back. Deep down, we all just want to raise our families and live our lives with an opportunity to succeed. It's easy to forget the basics of humanity and tie each disagreement back to that.

04-cheers

RE: OT- Corona Virus- Where do we go from here? - DaBigBlue - 08-20-2020 11:50 AM

(08-20-2020 09:05 AM)Monarchblue Wrote:  
(08-20-2020 08:49 AM)DaBigBlue Wrote:  I don't think being the 3rd and rising is any reason, to let up or to think it's not as bad as cancer and heart disease. So why do we worry so much about Covid? Cause we can do something to stop the spread. Cigarettes is the leading cause for cancer and heart disease and kills close to 500,000 in the USA each year. That's the reason we made restrictions to limit the exposure of secondhand smoke, the same way we are trying to limit the exposure to Covid. Sure we violated smokers' freedom and rights to light up. It was done protect our kids and other non-smokers.
https://www.healthline.com/health-news/covid-19-third-leading-cause-of-death-in-the-united-states-this-year

The difference is that we did not violate the freedoms of non smokers in order to slow the spread. Smokers = COVID Positive. Non Smokers = The society at large.

But we don't know who's positive. So the need to believe that everyone could be contagious.

RE: OT- Corona Virus- Where do we go from here? - Monarchblue - 08-20-2020 12:11 PM

(08-20-2020 11:50 AM)DaBigBlue Wrote:  
(08-20-2020 08:49 AM)DaBigBlue Wrote:  I don't think being the 3rd and rising is any reason, to let up or to think it's not as bad as cancer and heart disease. So why do we worry so much about Covid? Cause we can do something to stop the spread. Cigarettes is the leading cause for cancer and heart disease and kills close to 500,000 in the USA each year. That's the reason we made restrictions to limit the exposure of secondhand smoke, the same way we are trying to limit the exposure to Covid. Sure we violated smokers' freedom and rights to light up. It was done protect our kids and other non-smokers.
https://www.healthline.com/health-news/covid-19-third-leading-cause-of-death-in-the-united-states-this-year

The difference is that we did not violate the freedoms of non smokers in order to slow the spread. Smokers = COVID Positive. Non Smokers = The society at large.

But we don't know who's positive. So the need to believe that everyone could be contagious.

And that is where we part company. I think that assuming someone is going to cause a problem without any evidence that that individual will actually cause a problem, and then imposing restrictions on that individual, amounts to tyranny.

Let's extrapolate this approach out to other scenarios. Let's say there is neighborhood with a very high incidence of violence, and the government goes in there and says, we aren't quite sure who is going to commit violence, but we know that someone in this neighborhood will commit violence, so as a precaution we are going to require you to all stay in your homes and wear an armband that identifies you as a threat if you do leave, in order to protect others. We are also going to close your schools, because there has been violence there as well. We will reopen your schools once we see a sustained downturn in violence, however.

Does that seem reasonable? Of course it doesn't. It sound crazy and offensive. I don't have a view of government that allows room for some tyranny because it seems mild and appropriate at the time, because at the end of the day, the dissolution of our rights is permanent, and will only lead to more egregious government power grabs down the road.

RE: OT- Corona Virus- Where do we go from here? - mturn017 - 08-20-2020 12:18 PM

(08-20-2020 12:11 PM)Monarchblue Wrote:  
(08-20-2020 11:50 AM)DaBigBlue Wrote:  

And that is where we part company. I think that assuming someone is going to cause a problem without any evidence that that individual will actually cause a problem, and then imposing restrictions on that individual, amounts to tyranny.

Let's extrapolate this approach out to other scenarios. Let's say there is neighborhood with a very high incidence of violence, and the government goes in there and says, we aren't quite sure who is going to commit violence, but we know that someone in this neighborhood will commit violence, so as a precaution we are going to require you to all stay in your homes and wear an armband that identifies you as a threat if you do leave, in order to protect others. We are also going to close your schools, because there has been violence there as well. We will reopen your schools once we see a sustained downturn in violence, however.

Does that seem reasonable? Of course it doesn't. It sound crazy and offensive. I don't have a view of government that allows room for some tyranny because it seems mild and appropriate at the time, because at the end of the day, the dissolution of our rights is permanent, and will only lead to more egregious government power grabs down the road.

So you're against screening passengers at airports? Metal detectors and the like?

RE: OT- Corona Virus- Where do we go from here? - ODUCoach - 08-20-2020 12:24 PM

(08-20-2020 12:18 PM)mturn017 Wrote:  So you're against screening passengers at airports? Metal detectors and the like?

Let the record show that I am. At least, government-mandated screening. But, that's a topic for another day.

But, with that said, I'd be curious as to what your response would be to the scenario Blue laid out.

RE: OT- Corona Virus- Where do we go from here? - mturn017 - 08-20-2020 12:37 PM

(08-20-2020 12:24 PM)ODUCoach Wrote:  
(08-20-2020 12:18 PM)mturn017 Wrote:  So you're against screening passengers at airports? Metal detectors and the like?

Let the record show that I am. At least, government-mandated screening. But, that's a topic for another day.

But, with that said, I'd be curious as to what your response would be to the scenario Blue laid out.

Like curfews? Metal detectors in schools with high crime rates? That's not new.

Nearly every federal or state regulation we have be it financial, environmental, occupational, consumer safety is from someone doing what they're not supposed to. Then all of the other people that were operating copacetic in the first place has to follow new guidelines and jump through hoops to prevent it from happening again. It sucks and that's a whole nother real big topic for another day. But we don't know who the bad actors are but we know we do have them and the only other option is to wait for someone to get hurt and then punish the bad actors. In some cases that's OK in some cases families are left saying that's not going to bring back my dead mother and again I don't want to go down the regulation rabbit hole but I think it's relevant. Now in this case do we put the burden on all the people preemptively or do we wait until it pops up. Well we're not dealing with Bernie Madoff, a shady developer or bad landlord in this case. It's a virus and it don't give a ****. If we wait, it's too late.

RE: OT- Corona Virus- Where do we go from here? - ODUCoach - 08-20-2020 12:39 PM

Certainly, death rates aren't the only thing, but I found this interesting:

[Image: Ef4T1_rWAAIAZq6?format=jpg&name=900x900]

RE: OT- Corona Virus- Where do we go from here? - mturn017 - 08-20-2020 01:03 PM

(08-20-2020 12:39 PM)ODUCoach Wrote:  Certainly, death rates aren't the only thing, but I found this interesting:

I'm not sure if I know how to read that table properly.

RE: OT- Corona Virus- Where do we go from here? - ODUCoach - 08-20-2020 01:07 PM

(08-20-2020 01:03 PM)mturn017 Wrote:  
(08-20-2020 12:39 PM)ODUCoach Wrote:  Certainly, death rates aren't the only thing, but I found this interesting:

I'm not sure if I know how to read that table properly.

Basically, it's COVID death rate, then overall likelihood of death in that age group, then "combined" likelihood of death for COVID + other causes, and then, finally, the increased likelihood of death in the age group because of COVID.

RE: OT- Corona Virus- Where do we go from here? - VB Monarch - 08-20-2020 02:30 PM

Trey Wingo reports:

Georgia State QB has a heart condition from Covid and won't play this year.

RE: OT- Corona Virus- Where do we go from here? - Gilesfan - 08-20-2020 03:31 PM

(08-20-2020 02:30 PM)VB Monarch Wrote:  Trey Wingo reports:

Really feel bad for the kid.

I am happy ODU made the decision they did. It is a tremendous risk for the health (no pun intended) of the program in the short term, but it showed that the school is trying to look out for their student athletes.

RE: OT- Corona Virus- Where do we go from here? - 12thmonarch - 08-20-2020 04:27 PM

Falwell fuckups are awake. It must really suck to be associated with that crap school if we even want to call that a school.

RE: OT- Corona Virus- Where do we go from here? - mturn017 - 08-20-2020 07:06 PM

(08-20-2020 03:31 PM)Gilesfan Wrote:  
(08-20-2020 02:30 PM)VB Monarch Wrote:  Trey Wingo reports:

Really feel bad for the kid.

I am happy ODU made the decision they did. It is a tremendous risk for the health (no pun intended) of the program in the short term, but it showed that the school is trying to look out for their student athletes.

I must say that he probably is getting better care with his team as opposed to at home. All the schools are aware of heart issues associated with the disease and are monitoring positive cases for it. From what I understand it can pop up in even very mild/asymptomatic cases and after “recovery” from other symptoms. Plus exercise can worsen an inflamed heart. Regular testing and monitoring is the safest course for these kids. Better season ending than career ending. I’m fine with ODUs decision but I hope they are still taking care of our athletes.

RE: OT- Corona Virus- Where do we go from here? - mturn017 - 08-20-2020 07:08 PM

(08-20-2020 04:27 PM)12thmonarch Wrote:   Falwell fuckups are awake. It must really suck to be associated with that crap school if we even want to call that a school.

Not sure of the meaning of your post regarding the tweet.

RE: OT- Corona Virus- Where do we go from here? - 12thmonarch - 08-20-2020 07:21 PM

(08-20-2020 07:08 PM)mturn017 Wrote:  
(08-20-2020 04:27 PM)12thmonarch Wrote:   Falwell fuckups are awake. It must really suck to be associated with that crap school if we even want to call that a school.

There are some LU fans retweets if you follow that tweet.

RE: OT- Corona Virus- Where do we go from here? - mturn017 - 08-20-2020 07:22 PM

(08-20-2020 07:21 PM)12thmonarch Wrote:  

Gotcha. Very Christian posts I’m sure.

RE: OT- Corona Virus- Where do we go from here? - ODUDJ96 - 08-20-2020 07:25 PM

(08-20-2020 09:03 AM)Monarchblue Wrote:  
(08-20-2020 08:12 AM)ODUDJ96 Wrote:  
(08-19-2020 11:05 PM)ODUsmitty Wrote:  Fair enough, I tried. And the LU decision was the right one. I just hope that the man can regain some footing and contribute in the future to a university whose mission is one I support. Be well.

Sorry for insulting you and others on the board. You’re a class act and my words were classless. This site seems to bring out the worst in me. Probably time I left.

You're a passionate ODU fan and a solid contributor to our little community here. It is hard to filter the snark when you are typing that reply. I try, and I fail more than I would like, but I feel like this thread has made me a more conscious communicator. I typed two replies to your message last night and deleted them both because it was obvious that you were passionate and feeling a bit hurt and my response wasn't going to do anything to help with that. I guess this is all to say, I hope you stick around and continue adding to our community. It's useful for all of us to hear other perspectives. This thread has forced me to consider a lot of things that I wouldn't if it weren't for people from a bunch of different points of view sharing their takes, even the hot ones that we might regret.
04-cheers

Thanks man, I appreciate it. I enjoy being part of this community. Each of you has a personality to me that I truly appreciate. Anyway, no more anger-based posts from me going forward.

RE: OT- Corona Virus- Where do we go from here? - 12thmonarch - 08-20-2020 07:48 PM

(08-20-2020 07:22 PM)mturn017 Wrote:  
(08-20-2020 07:21 PM)12thmonarch Wrote:  

Gotcha. Very Christian posts I’m sure.

Lol. Falwel taking a break might have upset them.

RE: OT- Corona Virus- Where do we go from here? - ODU AGGIE - 08-21-2020 09:14 AM

(08-20-2020 07:25 PM)ODUDJ96 Wrote:  
(08-20-2020 09:03 AM)Monarchblue Wrote:  
(08-20-2020 08:12 AM)ODUDJ96 Wrote:  
(08-19-2020 11:05 PM)ODUsmitty Wrote:  Fair enough, I tried. And the LU decision was the right one. I just hope that the man can regain some footing and contribute in the future to a university whose mission is one I support. Be well.

Sorry for insulting you and others on the board. You’re a class act and my words were classless. This site seems to bring out the worst in me. Probably time I left.

You're a passionate ODU fan and a solid contributor to our little community here. It is hard to filter the snark when you are typing that reply. I try, and I fail more than I would like, but I feel like this thread has made me a more conscious communicator. I typed two replies to your message last night and deleted them both because it was obvious that you were passionate and feeling a bit hurt and my response wasn't going to do anything to help with that. I guess this is all to say, I hope you stick around and continue adding to our community. It's useful for all of us to hear other perspectives. This thread has forced me to consider a lot of things that I wouldn't if it weren't for people from a bunch of different points of view sharing their takes, even the hot ones that we might regret.
04-cheers

Thanks man, I appreciate it. I enjoy being part of this community. Each of you has a personality to me that I truly appreciate. Anyway, no more anger-based posts from me going forward.

My Dad always told me, "never make promises you can't keep." LOL -- Good luck!

Cheers!
04-cheers