CSNbbs
OT- Corona Virus- Where do we go from here? - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt East Team Talk (/forum-289.html)
+----- Forum: Old Dominion (/forum-688.html)
+------ Forum: Off Topic (/forum-766.html)
+------ Thread: OT- Corona Virus- Where do we go from here? (/thread-896143.html)

RE: OT- Corona Virus- Where do we go from here? - ODUCoach - 08-19-2020 09:24 AM

(08-19-2020 09:15 AM)DaBigBlue Wrote:  It doesn't look like the experiment of opening schools and colleges, is a great story. The healthy kids seem to be able to spread Covid, easier than thought and are now the primary spreaders of the virus. I know everyone wants to get the kids back into schools, but I don't think we can make a blanket direction for the +50 million students and over 5 million staff. Needs to be tailored to the area and school, tell we get to a solution. What surprised me is the latest survey, that only about 50% of those survey would get the vaccine when it's available in early 2021. Isn't that the way to get out of this?

Where are you seeing this? I haven't seen any information about how these breakouts are being spread. Colleges like UNC and ND have released all kinds of information about their test numbers and quarantine numbers, but have not really released any information about how many students are actually getting sick. I'm honestly not convinced we need to be quarantining healthy college kids, just because they test positive. I'm especially not convinced we need to quarantine healthy college kids simply because they went to a party with someone who then tested positive.

But, colleges aside, there is still no evidence I've seen that any elementary school kids are spreading this virus. Why not start there with opening the schools?

RE: OT- Corona Virus- Where do we go from here? - mturn017 - 08-19-2020 09:25 AM

(08-19-2020 09:17 AM)AdoptedMonarch Wrote:  Coach is clearly a nicer person than I am.

The lockdown, in my view, has become an exercise in cruelty. Whether it is sourced from ignorant fear or from raw political cynicism, it is wrong. We are hurting our nation and our citizenry as a whole for a completely futile effort at controlling the spread of an uncontrollable virus.

But you admit that it's only uncontrollable in America? Kind of like gun violence.

There is a path to mitigating the virus to the point where most people would feel relatively safe and most venues could be open. Of course clusters would pop up here or there and certain communities would have to deal with that when it happens but as a nation we could be in a much better place.

But the path is unacceptable and the results of not following the path are unacceptable. So just pretend like it doesn't exist and lament that your children might have a few less grandparents? I'm a solutions minded person and I don't hear any from you. Just bitching.

RE: OT- Corona Virus- Where do we go from here? - AdoptedMonarch - 08-19-2020 09:31 AM

(08-19-2020 09:25 AM)mturn017 Wrote:  
(08-19-2020 09:17 AM)AdoptedMonarch Wrote:  Coach is clearly a nicer person than I am.

The lockdown, in my view, has become an exercise in cruelty. Whether it is sourced from ignorant fear or from raw political cynicism, it is wrong. We are hurting our nation and our citizenry as a whole for a completely futile effort at controlling the spread of an uncontrollable virus.

But you admit that it's only uncontrollable in America? Kind of like gun violence.

There is a path to mitigating the virus to the point where most people would feel relatively safe and most venues could be open. Of course clusters would pop up here or there and certain communities would have to deal with that when it happens but as a nation we could be in a much better place.

But the path is unacceptable and the results of not following the path are unacceptable. So just pretend like it doesn't exist and lament that your children might have a few less grandparents? I'm a solutions minded person and I don't hear any from you. Just bitching.

First bolded statement: I absolutely do. If I had the magical power to (i) instantly eradicate the virus and (ii) remove guns from the hands of everyone worldwide, I would do it. But I don't, and so we deal with these situations as they are presented, not as we wish them to be.

Second bolded statement: That is absolutely untrue. Read anything from either Coach or Monarchblue, two of the smarter contributors on this thread. They have offered any number of suggestions for extending protections to the vulnerable without committing figurative murder to our economy and youth. You may not agree, but it is a falsehood to say that no solutions are being offered.

RE: OT- Corona Virus- Where do we go from here? - mturn017 - 08-19-2020 09:41 AM

(08-19-2020 09:31 AM)AdoptedMonarch Wrote:  

First bolded statement: I absolutely do. If I had the magical power to (i) instantly eradicate the virus and (ii) remove guns from the hands of everyone worldwide, I would do it. But I don't, and so we deal with these situations as they are presented, not as we wish them to be.

Second bolded statement: That is absolutely untrue. Read anything from either Coach or Monarchblue, two of the smarter contributors on this thread. They have offered any number of suggestions for extending protections to the vulnerable without committing figurative murder to our economy and youth. You may not agree, but it is a falsehood to say that no solutions are being offered.

Allowing the virus to spread unmitigated while the vulnerable are hidden away? Sure we should figure out what we need to do to keep the virus out of nursing homes but it goes well beyond that. Many at risk people still need to work, shop, go to the doctor, etc. Community spread at very high levels means more of these people will get sick and die. It also means that more relatively healthy people will get sick and die. It means more death and less places to set at Thanksgiving next year. So no they're not extending protections to the vulnerable and it's the one's that won't comply that are figuratively murdering our economy. Maybe I'm looking for good solutions.

RE: OT- Corona Virus- Where do we go from here? - Chillie Willie - 08-19-2020 09:43 AM

(08-19-2020 09:24 AM)AdoptedMonarch Wrote:  
(08-19-2020 09:18 AM)Chillie Willie Wrote:  
(08-19-2020 09:11 AM)AdoptedMonarch Wrote:  
(08-19-2020 09:01 AM)Chillie Willie Wrote:  
(08-19-2020 08:54 AM)ODUCoach Wrote:  So, I don't have the freedom to run my business in a way to provide for my family, because my cousin, Tony, can't stay away from McDonald's. That makes a lot of sense.

Think about this: we are restricting everyone's freedom, because one subset of the population that is most at risk of getting this and spreading it won't eat a salad once in a while.

I think you are way oversimplifying what it means to be unhealthy. For many people it is not just a matter of diet and exercise. I would ask you to have more compassion for them.

Yeah, but to hell with schoolchildren, young adults trying to get a start in the world, private-sector employees and business owners.

I would ask you to have more compassion for them.

Are you asking me? OK, let’s play. I would challenge you to find one statement I have made that is insensitive to any of those groups you mention. Or any statement that you would deem to have insufficient compassion.

How 'bout the statement "Unhealthy people have a right to as much freedom as healthy people do."

No one who wants to sequester themselves is being prohibited from doing so. But plenty of healthy kids are being kept from life-critical schooling. Plenty of young adults are having career opportunities taken from them. Plenty of business owners, who depend on an open market, are being driven to bankruptcy.

Whose rights are being infringed on? Do you believe that there is some right to be warm and comfy in life? Because your insistence on that is at the direct expense of someone else.

So you are saying my statement about equal rights for unhealthy people lacks compassion for healthy people and I believe that there is some right to be warm and comfy in life, whatever that means. So....no?

RE: OT- Corona Virus- Where do we go from here? - Monarchblue - 08-19-2020 09:44 AM

Some seem to think that people who offer solutions that they don't agree with simply aren't offering any solutions at all.

My retort to the other side of this argument would be that they are offering actions, but not solutions. Solutions require an endgame, and I have yet to hear a single person on the shut it down side of this argument tell us where this ends.

RE: OT- Corona Virus- Where do we go from here? - AdoptedMonarch - 08-19-2020 09:45 AM

(08-19-2020 09:41 AM)mturn017 Wrote:  

Allowing the virus to spread unmitigated while the vulnerable are hidden away? Sure we should figure out what we need to do to keep the virus out of nursing homes but it goes well beyond that. Many at risk people still need to work, shop, go to the doctor, etc. Community spread at very high levels means more of these people will get sick and die. It also means that more relatively healthy people will get sick and die. It means more death and less places to set at Thanksgiving next year. So no they're not extending protections to the vulnerable and it's the one's that won't comply that are figuratively murdering our economy. Maybe I'm looking for good solutions.

You can say the same (and in some cases with a higher mortality rate) for the flu, for automobiles, for prescription drugs, for alcohol, and so on.

We don't ban those behaviors. We take reasonable steps, as best we can, to mitigate the harm. It should be no different when it comes to covid.

RE: OT- Corona Virus- Where do we go from here? - mturn017 - 08-19-2020 09:49 AM

(08-19-2020 09:45 AM)AdoptedMonarch Wrote:  
(08-19-2020 09:41 AM)mturn017 Wrote:  

You can say the same (and in some cases with a higher mortality rate) for the flu, for automobiles, for prescription drugs, for alcohol, and so on.

We don't ban those behaviors. We take reasonable steps, as best we can, to mitigate the harm. It should be no different when it comes to covid.

You don't like the reasonable steps being taken to mitigate the harm of Covid. So you exasperate the situation with noncompliance.

RE: OT- Corona Virus- Where do we go from here? - AdoptedMonarch - 08-19-2020 09:49 AM

(08-19-2020 09:43 AM)Chillie Willie Wrote:  So you are saying my statement about equal rights for unhealthy people lacks compassion for healthy people and I believe that there is some right to be warm and comfy in life, whatever that means. So....no?

I'm sorry, you've lost me. (I'm sure that's mostly on me. I'm afraid that my mental faculties are verging on pre-Biden.)

RE: OT- Corona Virus- Where do we go from here? - mturn017 - 08-19-2020 09:50 AM

(08-19-2020 09:44 AM)Monarchblue Wrote:  

Some seem to think that people who offer solutions that they don't agree with simply aren't offering any solutions at all.

My retort to the other side of this argument would be that they are offering actions, but not solutions. Solutions require an endgame, and I have yet to hear a single person on the shut it down side of this argument tell us where this ends.

The only solution I'm hearing from the other side is let the virus run it's course. Or am I wrong?

RE: OT- Corona Virus- Where do we go from here? - AdoptedMonarch - 08-19-2020 09:55 AM

(08-19-2020 09:49 AM)mturn017 Wrote:  You don't like the reasonable steps being taken to mitigate the harm of Covid. So you exasperate the situation with noncompliance.

What is reasonable about shutting down schools? What is reasonable about quarantine orders being issued by a mass-murdering governor who directed that sick people be placed directly into nursing homes and now claims hero status among one of our two major parties? What is reasonable about releasing dangerous prisoners into the general population because they fear getting sick while incarcerated?

Mask wearing in inside public venues - - reasonable. Asking people not to cluster, whether it is for recreational purposes or for violent protesting - - reasonable.

You are, as you've noted (and I fully believe), a solutions guy. Why can you not draw these same distinctions? Why insist on an economy-wide shutdown when it has not worked and clearly will not work?

RE: OT- Corona Virus- Where do we go from here? - Monarchblue - 08-19-2020 10:02 AM

Let's be real. If there were Flu trackers plastered on every newscast and horror stories about the people who died each day, we would be seeing the exact same reaction from the exact same people that we are seeing now.

Further, if Flu deaths were measured the same way that COVID deaths are measured, the gap in deaths would be significantly less. Doctors do not label every person who has or recently had Flu, and then dies, as a flu death. In fact, doctors are more likely to chalk Flu deaths up to the underlying condition that killed them than they are to chalk it up to FLU. The same cannot be said for COVID, so the fact that this entire discussion has been framed around how COVID deaths compare to Flu deaths is really misleading from the start.

Solution:
Protect LTCs
Tell the American people in a concise way, with clear data points, who is vulnerable and who is not. How much does each underlying condition increase your vulnerability?
Tell those who are not more vulnerable than they are from the flu to go about their lives
Tell those who are slightly more vulnerable than they are from the flu to go about their lives, but with some caution.
Tell those who are significantly more vulnerable than they are from the flu to take significant precaution and get tested regularly
Build a media campaign pleading with those who are positive to self quarantine. Make it feel socially unacceptable to ignore this
Use lockdown measures in cases of extreme outbreaks. They should be extremely targeted, and should last 2 weeks

RE: OT- Corona Virus- Where do we go from here? - Chillie Willie - 08-19-2020 10:04 AM

I also think an end game would be beneficial. If people had a goal to shoot for they might be more willing to implement the requested measures. Our government officials should at least have on they are unofficially shooting for. But I fear that as soon as they make it public, the the arguments would transfer to how restrictive the goals are. Nonetheless, I would like to see them, hoping the positive aspect outweighs the negative.

RE: OT- Corona Virus- Where do we go from here? - Monarchblue - 08-19-2020 10:08 AM

(08-19-2020 09:50 AM)mturn017 Wrote:  

The only solution I'm hearing from the other side is let the virus run it's course. Or am I wrong?

See my post above. Essentially, yes, we have to let the virus run its course, but we can certainly mitigate the damage done as it runs its course, and we can expedite the process of it running its course by allowing those who are not vulnerable to go out there and help achieve Herd Immunity.

You seem to think you can stop the virus, but all I see the measures you call for doing is slowing our path to the inevitable. People are going to die regardless of the approach we take, but one path destroys our society and the other does not.

Also, you still did not state your endgame.

RE: OT- Corona Virus- Where do we go from here? - ODUDon - 08-19-2020 10:17 AM

(08-19-2020 09:15 AM)DaBigBlue Wrote:  It doesn't look like the experiment of opening schools and colleges, is a great story. The healthy kids seem to be able to spread Covid, easier than thought and are now the primary spreaders of the virus. I know everyone wants to get the kids back into schools, but I don't think we can make a blanket direction for the +50 million students and over 5 million staff. Needs to be tailored to the area and school, tell we get to a solution. What surprised me is the latest survey, that only about 50% of those survey would get the vaccine when it's available in early 2021. Isn't that the way to get out of this?

I don’t know where you got this but it is totally contrary to what I have read. See link. https://twitter.com/justin_hart/status/1295851513848270849?s=20

RE: OT- Corona Virus- Where do we go from here? - Chillie Willie - 08-19-2020 10:19 AM

(08-19-2020 10:02 AM)Monarchblue Wrote:  Let's be real. If there were Flu trackers plastered on every newscast and horror stories about the people who died each day, we would be seeing the exact same reaction from the exact same people that we are seeing now.

Further, if Flu deaths were measured the same way that COVID deaths are measured, the gap in deaths would be significantly less. Doctors do not label every person who has or recently had Flu, and then dies, as a flu death. In fact, doctors are more likely to chalk Flu deaths up to the underlying condition that killed them than they are to chalk it up to FLU. The same cannot be said for COVID, so the fact that this entire discussion has been framed around how COVID deaths compare to Flu deaths is really misleading from the start.

Solution:
Protect LTCs
Tell the American people in a concise way, with clear data points, who is vulnerable and who is not. How much does each underlying condition increase your vulnerability?
Tell those who are not more vulnerable than they are from the flu to go about their lives
Tell those who are slightly more vulnerable than they are from the flu to go about their lives, but with some caution.
Tell those who are significantly more vulnerable than they are from the flu to take significant precaution and get tested regularly
Build a media campaign pleading with those who are positive to self quarantine. Make it feel socially unacceptable to ignore this
Use lockdown measures in cases of extreme outbreaks. They should be extremely targeted, and should last 2 weeks

COVID is a novelty. It’s right in the name. If the flu was a novelty today we would be seeing the same thing. But it’s not. We have a history and people are aware of the risks and consequences. We don’t know all of the risks and especially all of the consequences of COVID. So a little more caution is warranted. So I would agree with your list of solutions except to apply them with a little more caution. For example add mask wearing, social distancing, and/or hand washing in certain situations to those statements.

RE: OT- Corona Virus- Where do we go from here? - Monarchblue - 08-19-2020 10:24 AM

(08-19-2020 10:19 AM)Chillie Willie Wrote:  
(08-19-2020 10:02 AM)Monarchblue Wrote:  Let's be real. If there were Flu trackers plastered on every newscast and horror stories about the people who died each day, we would be seeing the exact same reaction from the exact same people that we are seeing now.

Solution:
Protect LTCs

COVID is a novelty. It’s right in the name. If the flu was a novelty today we would be seeing the same thing. But it’s not. We have a history and people are aware of the risks and consequences. We don’t know all of the risks and especially all of the consequences of COVID. So a little more caution is warranted. So I would agree with your list of solutions except to apply them with a little more caution. For example add mask wearing, social distancing, and/or hand washing in certain situations to those statements.

I can agree with that.

100% agree with social distancing and hand washing

I don't really think masks work, but I guess since that is just based on my gut assessment of what I see happening in the world, I would be fine using my media campaign to also shame people for not wearing masks.

RE: OT- Corona Virus- Where do we go from here? - AdoptedMonarch - 08-19-2020 10:41 AM

(08-19-2020 10:24 AM)Monarchblue Wrote:  
(08-19-2020 10:19 AM)Chillie Willie Wrote:  

Solution:
Protect LTCs

I can agree with that.

100% agree with social distancing and hand washing

I don't really think masks work, but I guess since that is just based on my gut assessment of what I see happening in the world, I would be fine using my media campaign to also shame people for not wearing masks.

And, since we are all getting along now, we open things up - - schools, businesses and some less-impactful entertainment venues.

Those who don't want to participate do not have to. Those who do will be on notice, thanks to the ChillieWillie/Monarchblue education program.

We have a lot of ground to make up. Let's get started.

RE: OT- Corona Virus- Where do we go from here? - EverRespect - 08-19-2020 10:46 AM

(08-19-2020 09:24 AM)ODUCoach Wrote:  

Where are you seeing this? I haven't seen any information about how these breakouts are being spread. Colleges like UNC and ND have released all kinds of information about their test numbers and quarantine numbers, but have not really released any information about how many students are actually getting sick. I'm honestly not convinced we need to be quarantining healthy college kids, just because they test positive. I'm especially not convinced we need to quarantine healthy college kids simply because they went to a party with someone who then tested positive.

But, colleges aside, there is still no evidence I've seen that any elementary school kids are spreading this virus. Why not start there with opening the schools?

My take is similar.

1. The incubation period for this virus is 5-14. Any "outbreaks" would not show any symptoms, much less test positive in the first week of school. I call fabrics on all these stories. These are kids that came to campus already carrying the virus and they are testing everyone.

2. If you think about it these numbers are quite low. If UNC has 20,000 students and 150 test positive, that is just over .5%, which is way lower than random samples of what antibody testing studies have shown. These are just more overblown stories. Guessing if you picked any neighborhood and tested everyone, the numbers would be similar or higher,

3. College aged kids are exactly who we want spreading this thing among themselves. Our immune systems will not beat this until more get it. All you see in these stories are cases. You know if anyone was actually seriously ill it would be all over the news. These kids are shaking this thing off with relative ease. That is good news.

RE: OT- Corona Virus- Where do we go from here? - DaBigBlue - 08-19-2020 10:47 AM

(08-19-2020 09:24 AM)ODUCoach Wrote:  

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/who-warns-young-people-are-emerging-as-main-spreaders-of-the-coronavirus/2020/08/18/1822ee92-e18f-11ea-b69b-64f7b0477ed4_story.html

"The World Health Organization warned Tuesday that young people are becoming the primary drivers of the spread of the novel coronavirus in many countries"

Diverse schools like ODU are at a greater risk.
"In the United States, the virus has exacted a disproportionate toll on children of color. Hispanic children are about eight times more likely and Black children five times more likely to be hospitalized with covid-19 than their White peers, according to a study released this month by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention."