CSNbbs
OT- Corona Virus- Where do we go from here? - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt East Team Talk (/forum-289.html)
+----- Forum: Old Dominion (/forum-688.html)
+------ Forum: Off Topic (/forum-766.html)
+------ Thread: OT- Corona Virus- Where do we go from here? (/thread-896143.html)

RE: OT- Corona Virus- Where do we go from here? - TheDancinMonarch - 08-17-2020 08:51 PM

(08-17-2020 07:32 PM)Grommet Wrote:  UNC switches to online learning after 177 cases in 1st week
https://twitter.com/DrEricDing/status/1295456716453294084?s=20

Why didn't they just send everyone home and give them passing grades like they did for their athletes a few years ago?

RE: OT- Corona Virus- Where do we go from here? - Mo Blue Den You - 08-18-2020 09:06 AM

(08-17-2020 06:57 PM)bluelight Wrote:  
(08-17-2020 04:02 PM)Monarchblue Wrote:  
(08-17-2020 02:46 PM)smudge12 Wrote:  
(08-17-2020 02:38 PM)mturn017 Wrote:  
(08-17-2020 02:36 PM)smudge12 Wrote:  Imagine if Trump told people to wear a mask and social distance from the beginning? He'd probably have gone down as one of the greats, saving tens or hundreds of thousands of Americans and successfully steering the economy through a national crisis.

As much I dislike Trump, in an alternate history where the US successfully navigates the pandemic, he probably goes on to win a 2nd term. Naturally though - and unsurprisingly - the man can't get out of his own way.

Some cloth and six feet lay between him and greatness.

TRUMP HAD THE CAPABILITY TO INFORCE FASK COVERINGS AND DISTANCE MONTHS AGO. HE WAS JUST A BIGOT WHO WOULD NOT LISTEN TO OTHER PEOPLE. HIS LACK OF TURNING EVERYTHING TO THE STATES, WAS A MISTAKE. HE HAD THE ABILITY TO TAKE NATIONAL CONTROL, FROM THE BEGINNING, INSTEAD HE DID NOT, NOW HE WANTS TO PUT ALL THE BLAME ON CONGRESS AND THE DEMOCRATS AND STATE GOVERNORS. ON ANY ISSUE, TRUMP FEELS HE IS NOT TO BE BLAMED AND I AM NOT A DEMOCRATE, ONLY FOR THE PERSON I THINK IS BEST FOR THE COUNTRY. IF NEITHER WOULD HELP THE COUNTRY, THEN I LOSE MY RIGHT.

Let's pump the breaks there a bit. But he would likely had much better shot at reelection if he even appeared to give a ****.

I mean think about it though: Presidents are often remembered for one, maybe two important moments in their Presidency. The national policies are forgotten in time except to historians.

IMO, Trump was a disaster before the pandemic but this was his defining moment. Congress doesn't make for a great unifying symbol so it is often the President - elected by all 50 states (we can argue the process later) - who is a nation's symbol of unity...both at home and to the world.

I can't imagine anyone failing harder than Trump has during this pandemic. It'd be comical if so many people weren't dying because of it, but that's his legacy now.

You do realize that the media and the Dems take the opposite position of the President on everything, right? If the President had come out like a ham handed dictator mandating that businesses close, and sent the Federal Mask Police to every city in America to enforce universal masking all the Dems and all the media would be screaming from the mountain top about what a terrible dictator he is.

This **** right here. Hell they already claim this. It was a lose lose situation from the start for him.

Maybe he shouldve worn a dashiki scarf during his press releases......

RE: OT- Corona Virus- Where do we go from here? - EverydayInVA - 08-18-2020 09:22 AM

What qualifies as success? Spanish flu killed between 20-50 million including over 600k in the US, Covid has killed 773k worldwide and 170k in the US. Sounds like the media has blown this WAAAAAY out of proportion.

RE: OT- Corona Virus- Where do we go from here? - mturn017 - 08-18-2020 10:03 AM

(08-18-2020 09:30 AM)smudge12 Wrote:  
(08-18-2020 09:22 AM)EverydayInVA Wrote:  What qualifies as success? Spanish flu killed between 20-50 million including over 600k in the US, Covid has killed 773k worldwide and 170k in the US. Sounds like the media has blown this WAAAAAY out of proportion.

The Spanish flu pandemic lasted 25 months in the US.

We're currently in month 7.

The Spanish flu was deadlier per month, but we're also talking about a century of medical advances between then and now.

Spanish Flu would be over by now. We know a lot more about influenza and creating vaccines for them than we do Coronaviruses.

RE: OT- Corona Virus- Where do we go from here? - EverRespect - 08-18-2020 10:25 AM

Spanish flu also hit a much smaller population that was primarily rural and was much deadlier for the young and healthy.

RE: OT- Corona Virus- Where do we go from here? - Chillie Willie - 08-18-2020 02:14 PM

The Glendale School District in LA County has come up with an interesting idea to follow the requirements of the LA Health Department but still serve families of working parents or those without technology.

https://ktla.com/news/local-news/some-glendale-schools-plan-to-bring-students-back-to-classroom-but-not-their-teachers/

They are basically transforming the schools into remote learning pods. The teaching will still be virtual, but the kids will be in an environment that provides plenty of support that doesn’t have to come from their family. And they get breakfast and lunch. Their will be much less exposure to adults as well. Certainly not perfect but I think it helps to serve the at risk population.

RE: OT- Corona Virus- Where do we go from here? - EverRespect - 08-18-2020 02:25 PM

(08-18-2020 02:14 PM)Chillie Willie Wrote:  The Glendale School District in LA County has come up with an interesting idea to follow the requirements of the LA Health Department but still serve families of working parents or those without technology.

https://ktla.com/news/local-news/some-glendale-schools-plan-to-bring-students-back-to-classroom-but-not-their-teachers/

They are basically transforming the schools into remote learning pods. The teaching will still be virtual, but the kids will be in an environment that provides plenty of support that doesn’t have to come from their family. And they get breakfast and lunch. Their will be much less exposure to adults as well. Certainly not perfect but I think it helps to serve the at risk population.

Still not sure I understand why a non-teaching adult (probably making $10/hour) can be there supervising this, but an actual teacher (probably making $80k+ in LA) can't. I agree it is better than nothing, but it is still bs.

RE: OT- Corona Virus- Where do we go from here? - Monarchblue - 08-18-2020 02:34 PM

Yep, this just affirms that it is not about the safety of the students, as school administrators tell us incessantly. It is all about the Teachers' Unions. VB is actually going to have kids in rec centers and other places. Again, not sure how that is better than being in an actual school.

RE: OT- Corona Virus- Where do we go from here? - bluelight - 08-18-2020 02:38 PM

(08-17-2020 08:50 PM)Monarchblue Wrote:  
(08-17-2020 08:49 PM)TheDancinMonarch Wrote:  
(08-17-2020 06:57 PM)bluelight Wrote:  
(08-17-2020 04:02 PM)Monarchblue Wrote:  
(08-17-2020 02:46 PM)smudge12 Wrote:  I mean think about it though: Presidents are often remembered for one, maybe two important moments in their Presidency. The national policies are forgotten in time except to historians.

IMO, Trump was a disaster before the pandemic but this was his defining moment. Congress doesn't make for a great unifying symbol so it is often the President - elected by all 50 states (we can argue the process later) - who is a nation's symbol of unity...both at home and to the world.

I can't imagine anyone failing harder than Trump has during this pandemic. It'd be comical if so many people weren't dying because of it, but that's his legacy now.

You do realize that the media, who are the Dems, take the opposite position of the President on everything, right? If the President had come out like a ham handed dictator mandating that businesses close, and sent the Federal Mask Police to every city in America to enforce universal masking all the Dems and all the media would be screaming from the mountain top about what a terrible dictator he is.

FIFU
Haha. True.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

TRUMP IS A BIGOT AND ALWAYS WILL, ONLY THINKS OF HIS Ego! I'm not a party man, but neither parties look good now. Maybe, I will just give up my right, for the first time. I'm not voting for a known bigot. He fooled me in 2016, but never again.

RE: OT- Corona Virus- Where do we go from here? - EverydayInVA - 08-18-2020 02:40 PM

(08-18-2020 10:03 AM)mturn017 Wrote:  
(08-18-2020 09:30 AM)smudge12 Wrote:  
(08-18-2020 09:22 AM)EverydayInVA Wrote:  What qualifies as success? Spanish flu killed between 20-50 million including over 600k in the US, Covid has killed 773k worldwide and 170k in the US. Sounds like the media has blown this WAAAAAY out of proportion.

The Spanish flu pandemic lasted 25 months in the US.

We're currently in month 7.

The Spanish flu was deadlier per month, but we're also talking about a century of medical advances between then and now.

Spanish Flu would be over by now. We know a lot more about influenza and creating vaccines for them than we do Coronaviruses.

If it were a complete unknown like Covid, no way they would have a vaccine out in 6 months. Spanish flu did all that damage with a US population 1/3 of what we have now. Media has hyped this up into a frenzy of over reaction for something barely worse than Swine flu.

RE: OT- Corona Virus- Where do we go from here? - Chillie Willie - 08-18-2020 02:43 PM

(08-18-2020 02:25 PM)EverRespect Wrote:  
(08-18-2020 02:14 PM)Chillie Willie Wrote:  The Glendale School District in LA County has come up with an interesting idea to follow the requirements of the LA Health Department but still serve families of working parents or those without technology.

Still not sure I understand why a non-teaching adult (probably making $10/hour) can be there supervising this, but an actual teacher (probably making $80k+ in LA) can't. I agree it is better than nothing, but it is still bs.

It is not logistically feasible to have a teacher in the classroom teaching to some of the kids in person and some virtual. It has to be one or the other and they can’t have all of the kids in school. Not to mention that it is against LA County Health Department requirements.

RE: OT- Corona Virus- Where do we go from here? - Chillie Willie - 08-18-2020 02:53 PM

(08-18-2020 02:34 PM)Monarchblue Wrote:  Yep, this just affirms that it is not about the safety of the students, as school administrators tell us incessantly. It is all about the Teachers' Unions. VB is actually going to have kids in rec centers and other places. Again, not sure how that is better than being in an actual school.

Many school districts are proposing hybrid plans, so that only portions of the student population are in school at one time. That way you don’t have students piling through crowded hallways together like you see in Georgia. The problem with that approach is you need smaller classe sizes and more teachers in a time when schools are having to deal with less teachers willing to teach in the classroom. The Glendale approach solves those problems while still servicing the students that can’t be at home and need extra help.

RE: OT- Corona Virus- Where do we go from here? - Monarchblue - 08-18-2020 02:53 PM

(08-18-2020 02:43 PM)Chillie Willie Wrote:  

It is not logistically feasible to have a teacher in the classroom teaching to some of the kids in person and some virtual. It has to be one or the other and they can’t have all of the kids in school. Not to mention that it is against LA County Health Department requirements.

It's not logistically possible to put a camera in the classroom, or to have some teachers (those who aren't comfortable returning) teaching remotely while others teach in person?

Now that I think more about it, this is total BS. Part of VB Schools' plan allows some students to commit to learning from home fore the entirety of the first semester, even if in person instruction resumes prior to the end of the semester.

RE: OT- Corona Virus- Where do we go from here? - EverRespect - 08-18-2020 02:57 PM

Sure it is. Zoom rooms can hold 50 people.

RE: OT- Corona Virus- Where do we go from here? - EverRespect - 08-18-2020 02:59 PM

(08-18-2020 02:53 PM)Monarchblue Wrote:  

It's not logistically possible to put a camera in the classroom, or to have some teachers (those who aren't comfortable returning) teaching remotely while others teach in person?

Now that I think more about it, this is total BS. Part of VB Schools' plan allows some students to commit to learning from home fore the entirety of the first semester, even if in person instruction resumes prior to the end of the semester.

Same with NN.

RE: OT- Corona Virus- Where do we go from here? - Chillie Willie - 08-18-2020 03:05 PM

It is absolutely logistically possible to put a camera in a classroom. I think you are misunderstanding what I mean. The focus of the teaching should be either to an in person audience or a virtual audience. If the virtual audience receives only a zoom camera of the in person teaching, then they don’t get the proper interaction and a reduced experience.

Your idea of some teacher in person and some remote might work for elementary school but I’m not sure how that would work for schools that change classes.

And I’m not sure why you are against students having the choice to do virtual learning. They had that choice even before COVID.

RE: OT- Corona Virus- Where do we go from here? - EverRespect - 08-18-2020 03:11 PM

(08-18-2020 03:05 PM)Chillie Willie Wrote:  

It is absolutely logistically possible to put a camera in a classroom. I think you are misunderstanding what I mean. The focus of the teaching should be either to an in person audience or a virtual audience. If the virtual audience receives only a zoom camera of the in person teaching, then they don’t get the proper interaction and a reduced experience.

Your idea of some teacher in person and some remote might work for elementary school but I’m not sure how that would work for schools that change classes.

And I’m not sure why you are against students having the choice to do virtual learning. They had that choice even before COVID.

Nobody is against students (parents) having the choice to do virtual learning. The only people I have seen that are against choice are those against students (parents) having the choice to to in person learning.

RE: OT- Corona Virus- Where do we go from here? - mturn017 - 08-18-2020 03:18 PM

Anybody take those hybrid distance learning classes at ODU. I took intermediate accounting in a class set up where there was a camera on the teacher and there were kids all across the country taking it distance learning. I was actually in the class with the teacher in Norfolk though. It was bizarre and a bit funny at times. The distance learning students could buzz in with a question but there was always a delay and if you asked or answered a question you'd have to hold down a button and this camera would zoom across the ceiling to point right at you. This was around 2003-04 I'm guessing. Don't know if they still do that or for how long.

RE: OT- Corona Virus- Where do we go from here? - Chillie Willie - 08-18-2020 03:45 PM

(08-18-2020 03:11 PM)EverRespect Wrote:  
(08-18-2020 03:05 PM)Chillie Willie Wrote:  
(08-18-2020 02:25 PM)EverRespect Wrote:  Still not sure I understand why a non-teaching adult (probably making $10/hour) can be there supervising this, but an actual teacher (probably making $80k+ in LA) can't. I agree it is better than nothing, but it is still bs.

Nobody is against students (parents) having the choice to do virtual learning. The only people I have seen that are against choice are those against students (parents) having the choice to to in person learning.

That is what MB seemed to be suggesting.

“Now that I think more about it, this is total BS. Part of VB Schools' plan allows some students to commit to learning from home fore the entirety of the first semester, even if in person instruction resumes prior to the end of the semester.”

How else should we interpret that? Norfolk also is offering the same option. The problem is you have to commit to virtual for the whole semester because the classes are through a program of the Virginia Department of Education called Virtual Virginia. Virtual Virginia has always been an option for students that didn’t want to attend traditional school. But now traditional schools are incorporating their classes into the curriculum because of their history in delivering virtual classes. It puts less burden on the school to provide classroom teaching. But as I said you have to commit to the whole semester for the course so we did not choose that option in the hope that they will eventually be back in school.

RE: OT- Corona Virus- Where do we go from here? - Monarchist13 - 08-18-2020 03:53 PM

(08-18-2020 03:18 PM)mturn017 Wrote:  Anybody take those hybrid distance learning classes at ODU. I took intermediate accounting in a class set up where there was a camera on the teacher and there were kids all across the country taking it distance learning. I was actually in the class with the teacher in Norfolk though. It was bizarre and a bit funny at times. The distance learning students could buzz in with a question but there was always a delay and if you asked or answered a question you'd have to hold down a button and this camera would zoom across the ceiling to point right at you. This was around 2003-04 I'm guessing. Don't know if they still do that or for how long.

I took a few business electives and one accounting class at Gornto, which were all in a similar set-up around 2012/13. The lag wasn't noticeable at that point. It wasn't much different than my other courses at ODU but I was there in person. The best part for me, if I had to miss class for work, I could watch the lecture later.