CSNbbs
OT- Corona Virus- Where do we go from here? - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt East Team Talk (/forum-289.html)
+----- Forum: Old Dominion (/forum-688.html)
+------ Forum: Off Topic (/forum-766.html)
+------ Thread: OT- Corona Virus- Where do we go from here? (/thread-896143.html)

RE: OT- Corona Virus- Where do we go from here? - ODUDJ96 - 07-20-2020 08:14 PM

I know a little more than ten. Two went to the beach then bars during the fourth holiday - brilliant decision. One of the ten died - although he was in his 60s w/other health issues. He lived on the peninsula in Poquoson.

RE: OT- Corona Virus- Where do we go from here? - ODUCoach - 07-20-2020 08:15 PM

(07-20-2020 07:44 PM)ODUDJ96 Wrote:  The cases are definitely increasing. My situation is similar to yours. I know people now who have/had the virus vs none a couple of months before. It’s scary to think we’re not through the first wave yet.

Is it scary, though? It certainly seems that people who are getting it now are much less sick than the ones who were getting it in March?

What’s the end game on this, though? I mean, this thing isn’t going to go away. We can’t just stop life, put our fingers in our ears, and pretend that if we wait long enough, it’ll disappear.

And, FWIW, it does seem the case numbers have gone up, but daily hospitalizations in the area are about 1/2 of what they were at the peak.

I know of at least 2 people who thought it’d be funny to go to CVS and get tested, despite having no symptoms. Both tested positive.

RE: OT- Corona Virus- Where do we go from here? - ODUDJ96 - 07-20-2020 08:21 PM

(07-20-2020 08:15 PM)ODUCoach Wrote:  
(07-20-2020 07:44 PM)ODUDJ96 Wrote:  The cases are definitely increasing. My situation is similar to yours. I know people now who have/had the virus vs none a couple of months before. It’s scary to think we’re not through the first wave yet.

Is it scary, though? It certainly seems that people who are getting it now are much less sick than the ones who were getting it in March?

What’s the end game on this, though? I mean, this thing isn’t going to go away. We can’t just stop life, put our fingers in our ears, and pretend that if we wait long enough, it’ll disappear.

And, FWIW, it does seem the case numbers have gone up, but daily hospitalizations in the area are about 1/2 of what they were at the peak.

I know of at least 2 people who thought it’d be funny to go to CVS and get tested, despite having no symptoms. Both tested positive.

I respect your perspective. I understand and feel your frustration. But I know for a fact inpatient admissions are creeping up to the highest level ever in Hampton Roads. It is concerning. This situation reminds me of the old joke re: the difference between an economic recession vs a depression. A recession is when your neighbor loses his/her job but a depression is when you lose your job.

RE: OT- Corona Virus- Where do we go from here? - ODUCoach - 07-20-2020 08:30 PM

(07-20-2020 08:21 PM)ODUDJ96 Wrote:  

I respect your perspective. I understand and feel your frustration. But I know for a fact inpatient admissions are creeping up to the highest level ever in Hampton Roads. It is concerning. This situation reminds me of the old joke re: the difference between an economic recession vs a depression. A recession is when your neighbor loses his/her job but a depression is when you lose your job.

I’ve heard this about the admissions, too, but it doesn’t match the VDH numbers. I do wonder what percentage of admissions are for things other than COVID, but then become “COVID hospitalizations” after a test is conducted (seems to be standard practice now). In other states, that percentage is around 50% of COVID hospitalizations are for other things, but then test positive.

That’s been one of my biggest frustrations: the data we get is so incomplete, and yet, we have leaders making decisions based on incomplete data (or, if they do have it, they don’t share it with the public). I wish the data was more transparent, so we could all make the educated decisions for ourselves.

RE: OT- Corona Virus- Where do we go from here? - ODUDJ96 - 07-20-2020 08:58 PM

(07-20-2020 08:30 PM)ODUCoach Wrote:  

I’ve heard this about the admissions, too, but it doesn’t match the VDH numbers. I do wonder what percentage of admissions are for things other than COVID, but then become “COVID hospitalizations” after a test is conducted (seems to be standard practice now). In other states, that percentage is around 50% of COVID hospitalizations are for other things, but then test positive.

That’s been one of my biggest frustrations: the data we get is so incomplete, and yet, we have leaders making decisions based on incomplete data (or, if they do have it, they don’t share it with the public). I wish the data was more transparent, so we could all make the educated decisions for ourselves.

Agreed - I watch the VDH info too, which is a little deceptive b/c it’s a rolling seven day average for the entire state. But, I can tell you - as you have heard - the inpatient census in Hampton Roads is climbing to a concerning level. Northern Virginia was hit early on a couple of months ago and has since subsided. But Hampton Roads is on the rise. The averages are masking the issue in Hampton Roads. We are a hot spot right now.

RE: OT- Corona Virus- Where do we go from here? - Grommet - 07-20-2020 09:00 PM

I don't know how to directly post Facebook pics here, but here's a link to a Sentara hospitalizations graph on the Facebook page of VA Del Guy.

https://www.facebook.com/nancyguyva/photos/a.2128210897247519/3192243320844266/?type=3&theater

RE: OT- Corona Virus- Where do we go from here? - ODUCoach - 07-20-2020 09:00 PM

FWIW, you can break down the VDH data by district, so I’ve been using the Eastern District numbers.

RE: OT- Corona Virus- Where do we go from here? - ODUCoach - 07-20-2020 09:04 PM

(07-20-2020 09:00 PM)Grommet Wrote:  I don't know how to directly post Facebook pics here, but here's a link to a Sentara hospitalizations graph on the Facebook page of VA Del Guy.

https://www.facebook.com/nancyguyva/photos/a.2128210897247519/3192243320844266/?type=3&theater

Thanks, but again, I’m curious what percentage of those patients went in because of COVID and what percentage went in for other things and then tested positive. I do think there is a big difference between the two.

RE: OT- Corona Virus- Where do we go from here? - ODUDJ96 - 07-20-2020 09:05 PM

(07-20-2020 09:00 PM)ODUCoach Wrote:  FWIW, you can break down the VDH data by district, so I’ve been using the Eastern District numbers.

You’re a sophisticated user of the site. Not sure how the calculations are working - should bring in Giles to help w/the stats:) - but the inpatient census in Hampton Roads is a problem.

RE: OT- Corona Virus- Where do we go from here? - Gilesfan - 07-20-2020 11:07 PM

KNow of a few cases now, 3 were fatal.

One of the cases was a guy that was sick and invited people over. Of course they all got it. Its the problem with letting people make smart decisions. That guy is really Sick (and young). Hoping thr next couple days are brighter.

Another older lady seems like she will be fine. She felt lime crap but not serious complications.

Ive had a couple family members get if, both seem like they will make it out ok (1 was a kid that was spread among friends). Another family member has very bad flu symptoms right noe so got tested awaiting results.

Another person has no sense of smell or taste, fine otherwise.

A couple friends have had multiple coworkers test positive, they are awaiting results.

Sad times....hope we find a vaccine soon.

RE: OT- Corona Virus- Where do we go from here? - bit_9 - 07-21-2020 07:54 AM

(07-20-2020 08:30 PM)ODUCoach Wrote:  

Agreed. I would imagine that someone is working on a block chain like system for future pandemics, there will be more. That is the biggest issue we have right now. The data collection systems and methods are so different everywhere it is producing different models and in turn massive distrust in the data and those speaking about the data. We live in an age that thrives and lives off of data. It must be accurate and consistent. Some lab in BFE faxing only results they think are right or some lab in another state turning in results on a excel sheet half-assed doesn't cut it.

RE: OT- Corona Virus- Where do we go from here? - EverRespect - 07-21-2020 08:12 AM

(07-21-2020 06:46 AM)smudge12 Wrote:  https://www.npr.org/2020/07/20/893227088/growing-body-of-evidence-suggests-masks-protect-those-wearing-them-too

Growing body of evidence showing masks protect the user (in addition to reducing the spread), and could be the difference between getting infected with a high particulate load and one that makes users mildly sick or asymptomatic.

Masks could be the reason why we're seeing more asymptomatic cases and less deaths.

Other studies have concluded the virus is actually weakening. No idea if the size of the viral load one takes in has anything to do with the severity of the symptoms -seems to me all these 20-30 year olds picking up the virus in Florida, Texas and Myrtle Beach bars and night clubs and hooking up with each other as the narrative suggests are not very likely to be wearing a mask - but the falling hospitalization and death rates are encouraging either way.

RE: OT- Corona Virus- Where do we go from here? - EverydayInVA - 07-21-2020 08:56 AM

Vaccine will do nothing, 60% of people don't retain the antibodies for 3 months, many of those for far less than that, vaccine will be worthless.

RE: OT- Corona Virus- Where do we go from here? - ODUCoach - 07-21-2020 09:46 AM

Here's a good Twitter thread discussing a study that shows 80% of people have cross-resistance to COVID.

RE: OT- Corona Virus- Where do we go from here? - Gilesfan - 07-21-2020 09:55 AM

Seems promising though I have no idea what any of that means.

RE: OT- Corona Virus- Where do we go from here? - ODUCoach - 07-21-2020 09:58 AM

(07-20-2020 09:04 PM)ODUCoach Wrote:  
(07-20-2020 09:00 PM)Grommet Wrote:  I don't know how to directly post Facebook pics here, but here's a link to a Sentara hospitalizations graph on the Facebook page of VA Del Guy.

Thanks, but again, I’m curious what percentage of those patients went in because of COVID and what percentage went in for other things and then tested positive. I do think there is a big difference between the two.

With the limited data we have, it looks like in Virginia, we are at 74% ICU occupancy, or if with the surge beds available 49%, and 20% of ventilators. I'm not sure what percentage of ICU usage is for non-COVID patients. Further, unfortunately, this data is aggregated for the Commonwealth and not available by district.

RE: OT- Corona Virus- Where do we go from here? - ODUCoach - 07-21-2020 10:06 AM

(07-21-2020 09:55 AM)Gilesfan Wrote:  Seems promising though I have no idea what any of that means.

Much of that was over my head, as well, but his last point is interesting. He says the key is "low risk immunity." It seems to me that he'd argue that if the lowest risk 20% of us are exposed to the virus, we could achieve herd immunity.

He also seems to make the case that the reason the Asian numbers look as they do is not because of universal masking policy, but because they have been exposed to so many SARS-like viruses, their bodies can fight this one effectively, as well.

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20200716-the-people-with-hidden-protection-from-covid-19

RE: OT- Corona Virus- Where do we go from here? - VB Monarch - 07-21-2020 01:11 PM

He talks about activating a range of T cells to fight infection. That is great if you have them, but apparently over 140,000 americans didn't. Tough article for me to draw conclusions from.

RE: OT- Corona Virus- Where do we go from here? - AdoptedMonarch - 07-22-2020 05:42 AM

(07-21-2020 10:24 PM)smudge12 Wrote:  New York, New Jersey, and Connecticut added Virginia to its 14 day mandatory quarantine period.

Funny enough, I was in NYC yesterday so I lucked out there.

Had the timing not worked in your favor, would you have complied with the quarantine order?

If yes, my guess is that you are in the minority. I wouldn’t - - short of having been directly exposed to someone with the WuFlu.

RE: OT- Corona Virus- Where do we go from here? - DaBigBlue - 07-22-2020 07:09 AM

This area has really taken off, now we know people with it. Places like the Newport News Shipbuilding is spiking, having recorded 86 new cases in the past seven days.

The shipyard has had a total of 296 cases since the pandemic started and that accounts for 24.5 percent of the entire City of Newport News' total number of 1,206 cases. With a workforce of about 24,000 and maybe 4,000 working from home. That works out to 1 in 16 have been tested positive.