CSNbbs
UTA loses, not going to NCAA - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: OVCbbs (/forum-17.html)
+---- Forum: Ohio Valley Team Talk (/forum-784.html)
+----- Forum: Little Rock (/forum-291.html)
+----- Thread: UTA loses, not going to NCAA (/thread-895712.html)

UTA loses, not going to NCAA - MICHAELSPAPPY - 03-07-2020 05:39 PM

Their AD continues to be a fool for firing Scott Cross.

RE: UTA loses, not going to NCAA - mjs - 03-07-2020 06:04 PM

Have to admit I am really enjoying their struggles.

RE: UTA loses, not going to NCAA - MICHAELSPAPPY - 03-07-2020 06:15 PM

(03-07-2020 06:04 PM)mjs Wrote:  Have to admit I am really enjoying their struggles.

Yeah, me too.

RE: UTA loses, not going to NCAA - MICHAELSPAPPY - 03-07-2020 06:47 PM

And, of course, all that just puts that much more pressure on the current coach to go to the NCAA.

RE: UTA loses, not going to NCAA - UTArlingtonMaverick - 03-08-2020 03:30 PM

You guys are BAD!

The Ogden hire will have to be judged over a few years. Remember, he was Sunbelt Coach of the Year last year.

Cross isn't exactly tearing it up at Troy. Head-to-head, Ogden is now 1-0 against Cross. Cross was good, but we know where his ceiling is.

Anyway, good luck in the tournament.

BTW, I took an hour to visit your campus last summer while going through Hot Springs. UALR has a very pretty campus. I especially like the large quad in the middle and the fountain. I jumped out on that fountain. The trees and public art are very nice. I could see the need for a little bit of landscape attention, but, overall, it was a nice experience.

RE: UTA loses, not going to NCAA - MICHAELSPAPPY - 03-08-2020 03:47 PM

I just think it completely irrational to ax a very successful coach because of a few games at the end of the year.

RE: UTA loses, not going to NCAA - ez272 - 03-08-2020 04:23 PM

(03-08-2020 03:30 PM)UTArlingtonMaverick Wrote:  You guys are BAD!

The Ogden hire will have to be judged over a few years. Remember, he was Sunbelt Coach of the Year last year.

Cross isn't exactly tearing it up at Troy. Head-to-head, Ogden is now 1-0 against Cross. Cross was good, but we know where his ceiling is.

BTW, I took an hour to visit your campus last summer while going through Hot Springs. UALR has a very pretty campus. I especially like the large quad in the middle and the fountain. I jumped out on that fountain. The trees and public art are very nice. I could see the need for a little bit of landscape attention, but, overall, it was a nice experience.
I agree. Time will tell. Ogden was coach of the year last year. Last year posters here were questioning the Walker hire. Now he is coach of the year and everybody is happy. What has Cross done in 2 years at Troy?

RE: UTA loses, not going to NCAA - Robert C - 03-08-2020 04:30 PM

Glad you liked it. As much as people bag on "pine tree tech" The UALR campus is kinda nice and relaxing--after all it is "the natural state". I don't know of any other college campus in Arkansas quite like it. But I have not visited all of them. I bet the University of the Ozarks has beautiful environs [Pappy?]. I certainly did not appreciate it as much as I could have back in the early 90's. Even then, we had that quad with the fountain and just built a brand new student union and intramural gym. Coleman creek runs through the east side of campus and has threatened to flood the campus out many times but usually is not that severe. It was kind of cool to have a creek running thru an urban campus. We wouldn't have had that if they expanded the original 1930's downtown location. The folks that donated the land decades ago did a big favor to the city. Hopefully the current stakeholders can keep it up. Also need to dispel the stigma about that side of town though. The campus itself is not as dangerous as people fear it is.

RE: UTA loses, not going to NCAA - MICHAELSPAPPY - 03-08-2020 07:39 PM

(03-08-2020 04:30 PM)Robert C Wrote:  I bet the University of the Ozarks has beautiful environs [Pappy?].

You are correct. It is a very small campus, but very attractive.

RE: UTA loses, not going to NCAA - PTJR - 03-08-2020 07:55 PM

Care to share some inside skinny on why Cross was let go? The entire nation was shocked by the move! There must be something that played into it that those outside the program don’t know!

RE: UTA loses, not going to NCAA - UTArlingtonMaverick - 03-16-2020 09:48 PM

(03-08-2020 07:55 PM)PTJR Wrote:  

Care to share some inside skinny on why Cross was let go? The entire nation was shocked by the move! There must be something that played into it that those outside the program don’t know!

I don't think there was anything behind-the-scenes that caused Cross to be fired. No scandal or questionable activities. It was the ambition of the AD for the program, and Cross was deemed to not be delivering enough, e.g. an NCAA appearance. It was shocking, because, previously, coaches were hardly ever fired. It was a family-type environment, and Cross was the quintessential "family" coach.

Several of the UTA posters on this board were/are highly critical of the AD, Baker.
Personally, I am sympathetic to the AD for what he is trying to do. Cross had probably the most talented set of individual players in UTA history; yet, his team strangely under-performed. It was frustrating.

We will see if Ogden can deliver. One thing for sure, he has "been there" as a player and a coach. That is a big, big change from any previous coach. It's all partly a crap-shoot.

RE: UTA loses, not going to NCAA - MICHAELSPAPPY - 03-17-2020 06:45 AM

My criticism is a tunnel-vision AD. The only thing he looks at is the Dance, not the work done by the coach season after season.