CSNbbs
“Rice Family” - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: Members (/forum-401.html)
+----- Forum: Rice (/forum-444.html)
+----- Thread: “Rice Family” (/thread-895527.html)

“Rice Family” - ExcitedOwl18 - 03-04-2020 08:39 PM

Does anybody fine this new marketing slogan annoying?

They seem to be forcing it into every tweet these days.

I prefer “Owl Nation” or something that makes us seem big rather than emphasizes the small size of our fan base.

This is about problem #1000 of those that our athletic department has but still.

RE: “Rice Family” - Owl 69/70/75 - 03-04-2020 08:44 PM

Well, we certainly have a family that puts the "fun" in dysfunctional.

RE: “Rice Family” - Hou_Lawyer - 03-05-2020 11:45 AM

(03-04-2020 08:39 PM)ExcitedOwl18 Wrote:  Does anybody fine this new marketing slogan annoying?

They seem to be forcing it into every tweet these days.

I prefer “Owl Nation” or something that makes us seem big rather than emphasizes the small size of our fan base.

This is about problem #1000 of those that our athletic department has but still.

Low energy and uninspiring. Par for the course.

RE: “Rice Family” - allerretour - 03-05-2020 12:20 PM

No doubt there's something better out there that some great marketing mind will come up with, but I prefer Family to Nation, personally. I remember when Tim Brewster blew into Minneapolis with his "Gopher Nation" schtick. Sounded stupid, and that was in the context of a flagship state school with one of the largest enrollments in the country. Still sounded silly to most here, and was the object of much derision. Owl Nation? Hey, Rice is closer to Family, might as well own it, until the aforementioned great marketing minds come up with something better. Erica's letter seemed like it was more addressed to a Rice Family than an Owl Nation.

RE: “Rice Family” - ExcitedOwl18 - 03-05-2020 01:13 PM

(03-05-2020 12:20 PM)allerretour Wrote:  No doubt there's something better out there that some great marketing mind will come up with, but I prefer Family to Nation, personally. I remember when Tim Brewster blew into Minneapolis with his "Gopher Nation" schtick. Sounded stupid, and that was in the context of a flagship state school with one of the largest enrollments in the country. Still sounded silly to most here, and was the object of much derision. Owl Nation? Hey, Rice is closer to Family, might as well own it, until the aforementioned great marketing minds come up with something better. Erica's letter seemed like it was more addressed to a Rice Family than an Owl Nation.

"Row The Boat, SKI U MAH!" and "ELITE" are worse than "Gopher Nation"?

RE: “Rice Family” - Almadenmike - 03-05-2020 01:53 PM

(03-04-2020 08:39 PM)ExcitedOwl18 Wrote:  Does anybody fine this new marketing slogan annoying?

Where is this used?

I don't see it anywhere on rice.edu (except for "Rice Family Fellows" -- parents who donate more than $10,000/year).

Nor do I see it on the "Verbal Identity" section of Rice's "Brand and Identity Standards" (https://brand.rice.edu/verbal-identity), which still leads with "Unconventional Wisdom".

RE: “Rice Family” - GoodOwl - 03-05-2020 02:02 PM

(03-04-2020 08:44 PM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  Well, we certainly have a family that puts the "fun" in dysfunctional.

Well, you can't spell "Family" without "I am"

and you can't spell "Rice" without "I see"

and you can't spell "Owls" without "Ow."

Ouch.

RE: “Rice Family” - allerretour - 03-05-2020 02:14 PM

(03-05-2020 01:13 PM)ExcitedOwl18 Wrote:  
(03-05-2020 12:20 PM)allerretour Wrote:  No doubt there's something better out there that some great marketing mind will come up with, but I prefer Family to Nation, personally. I remember when Tim Brewster blew into Minneapolis with his "Gopher Nation" schtick. Sounded stupid, and that was in the context of a flagship state school with one of the largest enrollments in the country. Still sounded silly to most here, and was the object of much derision. Owl Nation? Hey, Rice is closer to Family, might as well own it, until the aforementioned great marketing minds come up with something better. Erica's letter seemed like it was more addressed to a Rice Family than an Owl Nation.

"Row The Boat, SKI U MAH!" and "ELITE" are worse than "Gopher Nation"?
Ski U Mah goes back to the 19th century, so I don't see that going away, regardless of what the latest coach thinks. I hate Row the Boat, because it's about Fleck, not the U. ELITE is horrible also. Fleck grates me personality-wise almost as much as Brewster, although no denying he's had better results. They can do whatever though, as far as I'm concerned. Despite my mother being a cheerleader on the last championship football team, I'm much more interested in Rice athletics than U of MN, sadly for me.

RE: “Rice Family” - ExcitedOwl18 - 03-05-2020 02:16 PM

(03-05-2020 01:53 PM)Almadenmike Wrote:  

Where is this used?

I don't see it anywhere on rice.edu (except for "Rice Family Fellows" -- parents who donate more than $10,000/year).

Nor do I see it on the "Verbal Identity" section of Rice's "Brand and Identity Standards" (https://brand.rice.edu/verbal-identity), which still leads with "Unconventional Wisdom".

Twitter.

RE: “Rice Family” - Almadenmike - 03-05-2020 03:06 PM

(03-05-2020 02:16 PM)ExcitedOwl18 Wrote:  
(03-05-2020 01:53 PM)Almadenmike Wrote:  

Where is this used?

Twitter.

Which accounts/tweets?

I looked at @RiceUniversity tweets going back to Feb 26, and the only "Rice Family" mention was in reference to Erica's letter "to the Rice Family." Hardly a new marketing slogan there.

RE: “Rice Family” - Intellectual_Brutality - 03-06-2020 08:09 PM

I agree. It's awkward and embarrassing when marketing is completely divorced for reality. For now, family is much more accurate in terms of size, and has good connotations