CSNbbs
Coronoavirus Covid-19 thread - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: Members (/forum-401.html)
+----- Forum: Rice (/forum-444.html)
+------ Forum: Kent Rowald Memorial Quad (/forum-660.html)
+------ Thread: Coronoavirus Covid-19 thread (/thread-895134.html)

RE: Coronoavirus Covid-19 thread - Fort Bend Owl - 03-20-2020 09:30 PM

https://nypost.com/2020/03/20/de-blasios-senior-staff-in-near-revolt-over-his-coronavirus-response/

NYC Mayor DeBlasio staff in near revolt over his coronavirus response.

One problem top officials need to realize is criticisms are going to be commonplace in national emergencies like this. Grow a backbone and realize you just need to let the criticism bounce off you for the good of your constituents.

RE: Coronoavirus Covid-19 thread - Hambone10 - 03-20-2020 09:35 PM

(03-20-2020 09:30 PM)Fort Bend Owl Wrote:  https://nypost.com/2020/03/20/de-blasios-senior-staff-in-near-revolt-over-his-coronavirus-response/

NYC Mayor DeBlasio staff in near revolt over his coronavirus response.

One problem top officials need to realize is criticisms are going to be commonplace in national emergencies like this. Grow a backbone and realize you just need to let the criticism bounce off you for the good of your constituents.

This doesn't seem to be about criticism, but about DeBlasio engaging in reckless behavior (not remotely practicing social distancing or good flu hygiene) and forcing his staff to do so as well.

or did I miss something

RE: Coronoavirus Covid-19 thread - mrbig - 03-20-2020 09:56 PM

(03-20-2020 08:58 AM)Hambone10 Wrote:  What difference does the number of people tested make to measuring efficacy? Why would you test people with virtually no reason to think they had the disease? No exposure, no symptoms. We did the same in Ebola and SARS and everything else. We never had mass testing for those diseases. Never.

8,098 people caught SARS during the 2003 outbreak. No one in the USA caught the disease in the USA (8 people caught it elsewhere and traveled here). SARS is less infectious than the novel coronavirus and the incubation period is shorter. Of course it didn't make any sense to mass test in the USA in that scenario, there was no benefit to it.

28,616 people caught Ebola during the 2014-16 outbreak. Only 2 of them caught the disease in the USA. Ebola is much, much less infectious than the novel coronavirus and the incubation period is much shorter. I don't think anyone is asyomptomatic with ebola, unlike the current infection. Of course it didn't make any sense to mass test in that scenario, there was no benefit to it.

274,708 people have been diagnosed with the novel coronavirus so far, 19,624 in the USA. It spreads more easily than the common flu and has a longer incubation period. The countries or communities that have done mass testing have had better outcomes than those who haven't. Of course is makes sense to mass test in this scenario in areas where there are outbreaks.

RE: Coronoavirus Covid-19 thread - mrbig - 03-20-2020 10:03 PM

(03-20-2020 10:02 AM)tanqtonic Wrote:  And, if we take Big's thesis on viewing the EU as a whole as a US equivalent, then it seems that the US response may actually be far better than that of Europe as a whole.

The outbreaks in the US started gaining steam later than some of the Europe outbreaks so I think the more accurate description is that the US is still behind Europe on the epidemiologic curve so we don't really know who did a better job yet.

RE: Coronoavirus Covid-19 thread - mrbig - 03-20-2020 10:07 PM

(03-20-2020 10:15 AM)tanqtonic Wrote:  I agree with the salaries. But you overlook the other point of: how do you keep the businesses afloat? Debt obligations, contract delivery requirements, contract supply schedules, electricity, rent?

I talked with the operating officer of small central Texas independent radio station yesterday (wife of a contractor I am using there) -- ad revenue has gone to zero, how do they pay the rather substantial electric bills for radio transmission?

How does the now shuttered gym pay its monthly obligation on equipment? On rent? While the salary aspect you speak of is substantial, for at least two of my clients that load is 25% or less of the the other outgoing funds. That 25% is nice, it will not keep them as a going concern.

I like your approach on the dimension you come from, but, you dont think about the business organization approach there. If there is no ongoing business operator, there are no future employees.

I agree that something similar is needed for businesses. Probably best for that to go through the SBA for disaster-specific relief because the SBA can forgive the debts more easily if they are structured as loans. The other option would be to empower the current lenders to these businesses to extend credit or cash to businesses with the banks dealing directly with the federal government.

Regardless, my key message would be that for the next 4-6 weeks, no one should be fired and no businesses should go bankrupt or out of business. That gives the USA time to get a handle on things and determined whether we caught things early enough to gain control of the outbreaks or whether we are screwed and overwhelmed (in which case the bailouts don't help much anyway so the next set of support/bailouts would look different).

RE: Coronoavirus Covid-19 thread - mrbig - 03-20-2020 10:13 PM

I wonder how expensive it would be for the federal government to pay all utility bills (corporate and individual) for the next 2 months?

RE: Coronoavirus Covid-19 thread - Hambone10 - 03-20-2020 10:14 PM

(03-20-2020 09:56 PM)mrbig Wrote:  
(03-20-2020 08:58 AM)Hambone10 Wrote:  What difference does the number of people tested make to measuring efficacy? Why would you test people with virtually no reason to think they had the disease? No exposure, no symptoms. We did the same in Ebola and SARS and everything else. We never had mass testing for those diseases. Never.

8,098 people caught SARS during the 2003 outbreak. No one in the USA caught the disease in the USA (8 people caught it elsewhere and traveled here). SARS is less infectious than the novel coronavirus and the incubation period is shorter. Of course it didn't make any sense to mass test in the USA in that scenario, there was no benefit to it.

28,616 people caught Ebola during the 2014-16 outbreak. Only 2 of them caught the disease in the USA. Ebola is much, much less infectious than the novel coronavirus and the incubation period is much shorter. I don't think anyone is asyomptomatic with ebola, unlike the current infection. Of course it didn't make any sense to mass test in that scenario, there was no benefit to it.

274,708 people have been diagnosed with the novel coronavirus so far, 19,624 in the USA. It spreads more easily than the common flu and has a longer incubation period. The countries or communities that have done mass testing have had better outcomes than those who haven't. Of course is makes sense to mass test in this scenario in areas where there are outbreaks.

I said SARS, clearly meant swine. Maybe you should have just let the comment lie?

2009 Swine flu

61mm Americans got it
274,000 hospitalizations in the US
12,469 deaths in the US

a massive multiple of Covid so far... 61mm vs 20,000
12,469 deaths vs <300 so far

We've got a Loooooooong way to go to get to H1N1.
We're you told to work from home? Did restaurants close? Did Broadway close? Did sports shut down and the President suggest no meetings over a few people? I don't remember that happening, but maybe I was one of the 61mm.

According to Wiki, Obama said about the outbreak....
"This is obviously a cause for concern ... but it is not a cause for alarm". hmmm. 61mm people infected is not a cause for alarm. At the time, I'm sure it wasn't... my point is simply that I don't recall anyone calling him an abject failure for THAT comment.

Initially the CDC suggested a 2 week closing IF a student tested positive... they later retracted that recommendation.... even though 726 schools had actually had students test positive and had closed. What do you think of THAT move?

How many k-12 students have tested positive so far this time? How many k-12 schools have closed?

Is it fair to say we've ALREADY done much more this time?

And please show me the link where you get data demonstrating that places that have tested more people have generally had better results. I've demonstrated Italy (who has failed, but tested a lot).... The UK, Spain and France (who have tested fewer, perhaps similar by percentage and have worse results).... and Japan, who has tested almost nobody (15,000 out of 127mm) and has perhaps the best results in the world...?

and please tell me how you define 300,000 people tested out of 50+mm (S. Korea) as 'mass testing'? Is that 0.6% or did I miss a decimal?

Or do you have different numbers than the ones I posted?

Clearly I'm basing my info on a source I don't know but seems legit, other sources show similar individual information... but I haven't seen anything better regarding 'world' numbers. Maybe you have?

RE: Coronoavirus Covid-19 thread - Hambone10 - 03-20-2020 10:36 PM

(03-20-2020 10:13 PM)mrbig Wrote:  I wonder how expensive it would be for the federal government to pay all utility bills (corporate and individual) for the next 2 months?

I think the stipend with a clawback for incomes over a certain amount is vastly better and easier for individuals. Something similar can be done for corporations.... get the money out there quickly and then claw it back for those that don't really need it. While certainly some industries are crushed by this, even some companies within those industries are doing fine.... or simply close and pay little to no utilities.... and some (like Amazon or UPS) are probably making a fortune

My son and his girlfriend went from making well over 100k together to now nothing.

I think internet and cable companies, as well as Netflix etc would be smart to offer it for free for a few months to people with no current services... people need the distractions and when things get back on track, many will keep it.

RE: Coronoavirus Covid-19 thread - GoodOwl - 03-20-2020 10:44 PM

(03-20-2020 10:13 PM)mrbig Wrote:  I wonder how expensive it would be for the federal government to pay all utility bills (corporate and individual) for the next 2 months?

Report projects Louisiana hotel industry job loss at over 65,000

Quote:The study shows nationwide job loss figures (just in hotel industry and related) of over 3.3 million.

Add in other industries, and you begin to see this is not sensibly worth it to pretend to protect a handful of people who already have co-morbidities and likely are as susceptible to things along with and/or other than this coronabug, which has already been demonstrated to be mild-to-nonsymptomatic for most people who actually get it, with over 100,000 already recovered from their mild cases of it and growing without drastic measures.

But then, any excuse to expand government spending and control, and of course take down evil orange man, who up to now showed how you can make a once-moribund economy hum by removing government from people's and businesses lives. Ironic.

RE: Coronoavirus Covid-19 thread - OptimisticOwl - 03-21-2020 07:15 AM

Dems and Reps fighting again

Just posting this so everybody can have their talking points ready.

I tend to agree with the Dems on this....to a point. I don’t see the rebates as fueling very much spending. I don’t see their alternative as doing much either.

Main thing I get out of this is the two sides still are not working together.

RE: Coronoavirus Covid-19 thread - greyowl72 - 03-21-2020 07:50 AM

So, if the virus thing costs us a couple of trillion dollars this year ... and lots of creative ideas about what to do with that money to help everybody who will need it.... any bright ideas how to pay for it? Considering the large amount of people who will be out of work when it ends? And the airline, hospitality, energy and just about every other industry on their knees?
Serious question.

RE: Coronoavirus Covid-19 thread - OptimisticOwl - 03-21-2020 07:58 AM

(03-21-2020 07:50 AM)greyowl72 Wrote:  So, if the virus thing costs us a couple of trillion dollars this year ... and lots of creative ideas about what to do with that money to help everybody who will need it.... any bright ideas how to pay for it? Considering the large amount of people who will be out of work when it ends? And the airline, hospitality, energy and just about every other industry on their knees?
Serious question.

No idea. But I feel certain the national debt will soar. Neither the Rep or Dem plans has any mention of how to pay for them.

The Reps seem to be focusing on trying to save the economy. The Dems are focused on relief.

RE: Coronoavirus Covid-19 thread - OptimisticOwl - 03-21-2020 08:07 AM

california homeless

RE: Coronoavirus Covid-19 thread - tanqtonic - 03-21-2020 08:36 AM

(03-20-2020 10:07 PM)mrbig Wrote:  
(03-20-2020 10:15 AM)tanqtonic Wrote:  I agree with the salaries. But you overlook the other point of: how do you keep the businesses afloat? Debt obligations, contract delivery requirements, contract supply schedules, electricity, rent?

I talked with the operating officer of small central Texas independent radio station yesterday (wife of a contractor I am using there) -- ad revenue has gone to zero, how do they pay the rather substantial electric bills for radio transmission?

How does the now shuttered gym pay its monthly obligation on equipment? On rent? While the salary aspect you speak of is substantial, for at least two of my clients that load is 25% or less of the the other outgoing funds. That 25% is nice, it will not keep them as a going concern.

I like your approach on the dimension you come from, but, you dont think about the business organization approach there. If there is no ongoing business operator, there are no future employees.

I agree that something similar is needed for businesses. Probably best for that to go through the SBA for disaster-specific relief because the SBA can forgive the debts more easily if they are structured as loans. The other option would be to empower the current lenders to these businesses to extend credit or cash to businesses with the banks dealing directly with the federal government.

Regardless, my key message would be that for the next 4-6 weeks, no one should be fired and no businesses should go bankrupt or out of business. That gives the USA time to get a handle on things and determined whether we caught things early enough to gain control of the outbreaks or whether we are screwed and overwhelmed (in which case the bailouts don't help much anyway so the next set of support/bailouts would look different).

How about contractor types? For example, the photographer that just literally lost 3 mos. of bookings? Or the guys at the chiropractic place where my wife gets her back stretched? They get paid as contractors on a per session basis.

RE: Coronoavirus Covid-19 thread - tanqtonic - 03-21-2020 08:43 AM

(03-21-2020 07:50 AM)greyowl72 Wrote:  So, if the virus thing costs us a couple of trillion dollars this year ... and lots of creative ideas about what to do with that money to help everybody who will need it.... any bright ideas how to pay for it? Considering the large amount of people who will be out of work when it ends? And the airline, hospitality, energy and just about every other industry on their knees?
Serious question.

This has ties to getting out of 2008. Trump had the option of growing out of the hole or inflating out of it.

Our growth disappeared almost overnight, the Fed is back in very short order with zero interest monetary injections, and there is talk of re-implementing QE. With the last two points that means we have no powder left.

I see only one outcome --- inflating out of it.

As the recession starts to gain traction up, I am going to go to almost zero liquid cash.

RE: Coronoavirus Covid-19 thread - OptimisticOwl - 03-21-2020 08:48 AM

(03-21-2020 08:36 AM)tanqtonic Wrote:  

How about contractor types? For example, the photographer that just literally lost 3 mos. of bookings? Or the guys at the chiropractic place where my wife gets her back stretched? They get paid as contractors on a per session basis.

And the self-employed. And the workers that depend on tips.

Big wants to stop businesses from declaring bankruptcy. Bankruptcy is there to protect businesses when their debt is bigger than their assets and their income is too little to service the debt. How is preventing them from the legal protections of bankruptcy helping them...or us?

The best way to save businesses and jobs is to find a solution to the virus other than distancing.

RE: Coronoavirus Covid-19 thread - greyowl72 - 03-21-2020 09:34 AM

(03-21-2020 08:43 AM)tanqtonic Wrote:  
Serious question.

This has ties to getting out of 2008. Trump had the option of growing out of the hole or inflating out of it.

Our growth disappeared almost overnight, the Fed is back in very short order with zero interest monetary injections, and there is talk of re-implementing QE. With the last two points that means we have no powder left.

As the recession starts to gain traction up, I am going to go to almost zero liquid cash.
I agree with that. Monetizing the debt, or at least a decent part would seem
to be the least painful... in the short run. Especially when inflation is so low at present. The danger, I think, would be an early 80’s scenario when interest rates went out of control. Along with the general economy really slowing to a halt.

RE: Coronoavirus Covid-19 thread - tanqtonic - 03-21-2020 09:59 AM

(03-21-2020 09:34 AM)greyowl72 Wrote:  
(03-21-2020 08:43 AM)tanqtonic Wrote:  
Serious question.

I agree with that. Monetizing the debt, or at least a decent part would seem
to be the least painful... in the short run. Especially when inflation is so low at present. The danger, I think, would be an early 80’s scenario when interest rates went out of control. Along with the general economy really slowing to a halt.

Problem is I dont see any other avenue at this juncture.

RE: Coronoavirus Covid-19 thread - tanqtonic - 03-21-2020 10:10 AM

(03-21-2020 08:48 AM)OptimisticOwl Wrote:  
(03-21-2020 08:36 AM)tanqtonic Wrote:  

And the self-employed. And the workers that depend on tips.

Big wants to stop businesses from declaring bankruptcy. Bankruptcy is there to protect businesses when their debt is bigger than their assets and their income is too little to service the debt. How is preventing them from the legal protections of bankruptcy helping them...or us?

The best way to save businesses and jobs is to find a solution to the virus other than distancing.

One nasty thing that I think will be experienced by wait staff and bartenders is that they will soon undoubtedly learn that unemployment benefits are based on salary and *declared* tips.

RE: Coronoavirus Covid-19 thread - Owl 69/70/75 - 03-21-2020 10:32 AM

There is really only one way out--get this thing under control ASAP, with testing, vaccines, and antidotes. We seem to have the testing figured out, if only we can produce the test kits fast enough. As for antidotes, I'm optimistic about possible use of chloroquine in conjunction with other drugs. Now we just have to hope that FDA doesn't take its normal eternity to get the treatments through the certification process. WHO says they can get it through their hoops in 3 weeks. FDA has been directed by Trump to expedite, but as we all know, bureaucrats gotta bureaucrat. One thing I would hope would come out of this is some procedure whereby patients can accept the risk and be given things that WHO has approved but not FDA. I would expect a vaccine to take a couple of years.

Until life can return to something like normal, there really aren't enough bailouts or subsidies or handouts to keep us going. We need to solve the problem. If we are going back to work and play in a month, then we can survive. If it takes six months, it's going to be a problem. In between, who knows?