CSNbbs
Coronoavirus Covid-19 thread - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: Members (/forum-401.html)
+----- Forum: Rice (/forum-444.html)
+------ Forum: Kent Rowald Memorial Quad (/forum-660.html)
+------ Thread: Coronoavirus Covid-19 thread (/thread-895134.html)

RE: Coronoavirus Covid-19 thread - tanqtonic - 03-20-2020 04:40 PM

(03-20-2020 04:22 PM)OptimisticOwl Wrote:  
(03-20-2020 02:55 PM)RiceLad15 Wrote:  
(03-20-2020 02:15 PM)tanqtonic Wrote:  "Clinton has a significant amount of experience ... within the world of public health through the Clinton foundation."

You need to try out for the Tonight Show guest host slot with lines like that.

How about add this one: Clinton has a significant amount of experience within financial institutions and Federal financial policythrough the her experience with Arkansas real estate lending practices.

Lol - I chuckled at that one.

I wish it had made him think instead of laugh.

He doesn't see the parallel.

There is definitely more than one level to the response I tossed out there.

RE: Coronoavirus Covid-19 thread - RiceLad15 - 03-20-2020 04:47 PM

(03-20-2020 02:15 PM)tanqtonic Wrote:  "Clinton has a significant amount of experience ... within the world of public health through the Clinton foundation."

How about add this one: Clinton has a significant amount of experience within financial institutions and Federal financial policythrough the her experience with Arkansas real estate lending practices.

Oh c'mon, it's not even a real, direct parallel. I know the Clinton Foundation is a boogeyman for some serious good and Hillary actually did some work within its structure.

It was a good joke, though.

RE: Coronoavirus Covid-19 thread - RiceLad15 - 03-20-2020 04:54 PM

(03-20-2020 04:09 PM)OptimisticOwl Wrote:  
(03-20-2020 01:57 PM)RiceLad15 Wrote:  
(03-20-2020 01:50 PM)OptimisticOwl Wrote:  
(03-20-2020 10:54 AM)RiceLad15 Wrote:  
(03-20-2020 10:40 AM)OptimisticOwl Wrote:  How do I get it to go back farther than 2-27-2020? Apparently your response is older.

Or you could take 3 minutes and answer the question again.

Holy heck, I found this in less than 30 seconds.

https://csnbbs.com/thread-895134-post-16743733.html?highlight=Clinton#pid16743733

so you could have responded in 30 seconds but refused to do so?

My goodness you're acting helpless.

Arrogant and condescending.

You literally asked me to do the detective work for you, and then snidely responded when I finally did your work for you.

Christ on a cracker.

RE: Coronoavirus Covid-19 thread - greyowl72 - 03-20-2020 04:56 PM

(03-20-2020 04:11 PM)illiniowl Wrote:  
(03-20-2020 03:28 PM)greyowl72 Wrote:  
(03-20-2020 03:19 PM)illiniowl Wrote:  
(03-20-2020 11:29 AM)tanqtonic Wrote:  Anyone here think any of the following possible/probable?

1) Federal no-fly rule -- say, up to two weeks.

2) Federal stock market freeze -- say the same time frame.

I think after the California announcement, 1 and 2 jumped from loony tunes land to me to the 'could be' range. Feds used the same tools in 1 and 2 post 9/11 for, iirc, three days afterwards. Just saying this isnt fiction land, and this *is* at the same level of 9/11 in my opinion.

A no-fly rule for 2 weeks -- or anywhere near it -- would be economic suicide. These "shelter in place orders" are economic suicide also, because they are not really "orders" and (rightly) have exceptions for any activity you could think of, but are irresponsibly couched in mandatory terms and are stoking wild panic among citizens. My suburb issued one, complete with a warning that violating any aspect of it would be punishable by up to a year in jail, only to be forced to clarify hours later, after being inundated with calls from residents (not me, mind you -- as a lawyer, I could read it and instantly see it had no teeth (thank God)), that it really was just advisory, police would not be enforcing it, people were not being required to stay home from work, and it was "just meant to raise awareness around the practice of social distancing." But of course it caused yet another hysterical run on grocery stores in the meanwhile.

And all over a virus that is going to have a death rate in the tenths of a percentage point when all is said and done.

This is *not* 9/11 . . . but it *will* turn into an economic 9/11 -- and worse by orders of magnitude -- if we do not stop allowing medical/public health officials to dictate all aspects of public policy. We have literally given doctors -- who are, with all due respect, not economically literate, because it's not their job to be -- a blank check to "stop the virus," and predictably, with no clue or care to any other public-policy consideration, they are writing down fantasy numbers followed by an unfathomable string of zeroes. Somebody needs to kick them out of the control room or the cure is going to be infinitely worse than the disease.

I read this and chuckled.
My response: Covid -19 is too important to be left to the politicians.

It takes a special kind of hubris to take Clemenceau's aphorism that "war is too important to be left to the generals," widely considered unassailably wise, and say "nonsense."

Not saying health professionals shouldn't have a voice at the table but it's lunacy to cede all of public policy to them to stop their ox from being gored. There are worse things than the health care system getting temporarily overburdened (which it can and will adapt to) and we are about to find them out if we don't stop sacrificing everything on that altar.

Perhaps my comment came out as snarky when it was meant to be sincere. For that I apologize.
However, correct me if I’m wrong, your comment seems to imply that the recommendations from the (educated and concerned) medical community is somehow self-serving. That, somehow, the medical community is recommending these serious measures because it will save the “industry”, if you will, and that “temporarily overburdening” the system can and will be dealt with.
Yes. I believe it can. But at what cost? My opinion and I believe it’s the considered opinion of most medical professionals, is that in a worse case scenario.... one that we are headed for if we do not put these severe measures in place and ENFORCE them... we will see the medical landscape change in ways we have never seen.
Simply put, even after marshaling all of our resources, ventilators, MASH hospitals, switching industries over to medical manufacturing, moon-shot attempts at developing vaccines, etc we can not prevent a nightmare scenario. Families weeping in waiting rooms because their loved one was chosen to be the person NOT to be put on a ventilator. Critically ill patients being cared for in tents without the usual advanced medical equipment available in most hospitals at present, choosing to NOT treat elderly patients because their situation might be too far advanced to warrant using precious and scarce resources, medical personnel on the front lines being forced.. or volunteering... to care for critically ill patients without PPE’s, people dying from MI’s, or acute surgical illness because ALL of the beds in the ICUs are full of corona virus patients.... This has the potential to not only change health care in this nation, but to alter the lives of thousands. Maybe hundreds of thousands.
Personally, I have stopped all travel. I notified my office to suspend my practice. We have instituted a policy in my practice of screening and calling patients to make sure any unnecessary office visits are eliminated. And I’m staying home and not exposing my friends and family... or myself. I encourage you to do the same. Yes, it’s a big economic price to pay, but in my opinion, not doing it will cost even more.
So. I’m getting off my soapbox, now. I was getting dizzy from the height.

RE: Coronoavirus Covid-19 thread - RiceLad15 - 03-20-2020 05:04 PM

(03-20-2020 04:15 PM)tanqtonic Wrote:  This site is interesting:

https://healthweather.us/

Quote:Kinsa Health has sold or given away more than a million smart thermometers to households in which two million people reside, and thus can record fevers almost as soon as consumers experience them.

For the last few years, Kinsa’s interactive maps have accurately predicted the spread of flu around the United States about two weeks before the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s own surveillance tool, the weekly FluView tracker…

Company scientists are uniquely positioned to identify unusual clusters of fever because they have years of data for expected flu cases in each ZIP code. A sudden spike that far exceeds estimates for flu for a given date may well indicate the coronavirus has arrived…

If accurate, there is a real problem brewing in Florida.

Super interesting.

We may also be able to look at the nation's influenza like illness (ILI) incidents as a surrogate for COVID-19. Play with weeks and historical data here if you want: https://www.cdc.gov/flu/weekly/index.htm#ILIActivityMap

It's not shocking to see that our current ILI is greatly elevated compared to the same time in past years.

RE: Coronoavirus Covid-19 thread - ruowls - 03-20-2020 06:30 PM

(03-20-2020 04:56 PM)greyowl72 Wrote:  
(03-20-2020 04:11 PM)illiniowl Wrote:  
(03-20-2020 03:28 PM)greyowl72 Wrote:  
(03-20-2020 03:19 PM)illiniowl Wrote:  
(03-20-2020 11:29 AM)tanqtonic Wrote:  Anyone here think any of the following possible/probable?

1) Federal no-fly rule -- say, up to two weeks.

2) Federal stock market freeze -- say the same time frame.

I think after the California announcement, 1 and 2 jumped from loony tunes land to me to the 'could be' range. Feds used the same tools in 1 and 2 post 9/11 for, iirc, three days afterwards. Just saying this isnt fiction land, and this *is* at the same level of 9/11 in my opinion.

A no-fly rule for 2 weeks -- or anywhere near it -- would be economic suicide. These "shelter in place orders" are economic suicide also, because they are not really "orders" and (rightly) have exceptions for any activity you could think of, but are irresponsibly couched in mandatory terms and are stoking wild panic among citizens. My suburb issued one, complete with a warning that violating any aspect of it would be punishable by up to a year in jail, only to be forced to clarify hours later, after being inundated with calls from residents (not me, mind you -- as a lawyer, I could read it and instantly see it had no teeth (thank God)), that it really was just advisory, police would not be enforcing it, people were not being required to stay home from work, and it was "just meant to raise awareness around the practice of social distancing." But of course it caused yet another hysterical run on grocery stores in the meanwhile.

And all over a virus that is going to have a death rate in the tenths of a percentage point when all is said and done.

This is *not* 9/11 . . . but it *will* turn into an economic 9/11 -- and worse by orders of magnitude -- if we do not stop allowing medical/public health officials to dictate all aspects of public policy. We have literally given doctors -- who are, with all due respect, not economically literate, because it's not their job to be -- a blank check to "stop the virus," and predictably, with no clue or care to any other public-policy consideration, they are writing down fantasy numbers followed by an unfathomable string of zeroes. Somebody needs to kick them out of the control room or the cure is going to be infinitely worse than the disease.

I read this and chuckled.
My response: Covid -19 is too important to be left to the politicians.

It takes a special kind of hubris to take Clemenceau's aphorism that "war is too important to be left to the generals," widely considered unassailably wise, and say "nonsense."

Not saying health professionals shouldn't have a voice at the table but it's lunacy to cede all of public policy to them to stop their ox from being gored. There are worse things than the health care system getting temporarily overburdened (which it can and will adapt to) and we are about to find them out if we don't stop sacrificing everything on that altar.

Perhaps my comment came out as snarky when it was meant to be sincere. For that I apologize.
However, correct me if I’m wrong, your comment seems to imply that the recommendations from the (educated and concerned) medical community is somehow self-serving. That, somehow, the medical community is recommending these serious measures because it will save the “industry”, if you will, and that “temporarily overburdening” the system can and will be dealt with.
Yes. I believe it can. But at what cost? My opinion and I believe it’s the considered opinion of most medical professionals, is that in a worse case scenario.... one that we are headed for if we do not put these severe measures in place and ENFORCE them... we will see the medical landscape change in ways we have never seen.
Simply put, even after marshaling all of our resources, ventilators, MASH hospitals, switching industries over to medical manufacturing, moon-shot attempts at developing vaccines, etc we can not prevent a nightmare scenario. Families weeping in waiting rooms because their loved one was chosen to be the person NOT to be put on a ventilator. Critically ill patients being cared for in tents without the usual advanced medical equipment available in most hospitals at present, choosing to NOT treat elderly patients because their situation might be too far advanced to warrant using precious and scarce resources, medical personnel on the front lines being forced.. or volunteering... to care for critically ill patients without PPE’s, people dying from MI’s, or acute surgical illness because ALL of the beds in the ICUs are full of corona virus patients.... This has the potential to not only change health care in this nation, but to alter the lives of thousands. Maybe hundreds of thousands.
Personally, I have stopped all travel. I notified my office to suspend my practice. We have instituted a policy in my practice of screening and calling patients to make sure any unnecessary office visits are eliminated. And I’m staying home and not exposing my friends and family... or myself. I encourage you to do the same. Yes, it’s a big economic price to pay, but in my opinion, not doing it will cost even more.
So. I’m getting off my soapbox, now. I was getting dizzy from the height.

From my experience, healthcare administration can be just as self-serving as politics.
Economic decisions have become ingrained and some are using this situation to further their agendas. ICU beds have been an issue for the past couple decades. It all comes down to money. I know of a hospital that built a new facility that opened in 2007. It added 2 11 bed ICUs to replace a 10 bed unit in the old facility. The 11 beds were because the designers didn't put the 12th room in the monitoring station's sight line so they had to scuttle 1 room. The cost of the 2 units wasn't profitable so they closed 1 of the 11 and staffed the other for a capacity of 6. They also owned a smaller hospital that built a new 10 bed ICU about 7 years ago. It never opened. Again, because of the hospital didn't want to lose money from the units as they were not "profitable". So, now, there is a crisis of ICU beds and a ventilator shortage. To me, it screams some hospitals and administrators recognizing an opportunity to increase funding for their shuttered ICU beds and prop up their ventilator inventory for future use. In other words, they can force the government to provide them with resources which won't affect their bottom line.
There are several ways to support breathing. Ventilators are one way, BiPap and CPap units are another. One can also use a bag and do it manually. Anethesia machines can also act as a ventilator as well. With remote monitoring, you don't need as many physicians physically present in each ICU. I know I am pretty jaded but I see some of these projections by some healthcare leaders as trying to leverage the situation to their advantage.

RE: Coronoavirus Covid-19 thread - Jonathan Sadow - 03-20-2020 06:35 PM

(03-19-2020 06:49 PM)tanqtonic Wrote:  Jonathan -- your gym would absolutely fall under the statewide order closing gyms effective 12:01 am tomorrow statewide and announced by Abbot this morning, which also includes a statewide 10 person limit.

And honestly, I have some very good clients in the gym industry in Austin. The science that came to the forefront day before yesterday on the surface survivability of the virus is rather shocking. Those reports had all of my gym clients shut their doors voluntarily *prior* to the Travis County and City of Austin order on 10 people.

I'm not sure that you're getting the gist of my complaint. It's understandable that the gym, with its cavernous interior that can accommodate dozens of people, shut down. What's less understandable is why the tiny exercise room that is rarely-used in my apartment complex is being locked up. It's not just that; visits to the complex office are now forbidden, and maintenance will be provided only for "emergency" repairs.

You yourself have experienced and noted the economic disruption these actions are creating. Given the level of risk involved, are these actions worth it?

RE: Coronoavirus Covid-19 thread - tanqtonic - 03-20-2020 07:24 PM

(03-20-2020 06:35 PM)Jonathan Sadow Wrote:  
(03-19-2020 06:49 PM)tanqtonic Wrote:  Jonathan -- your gym would absolutely fall under the statewide order closing gyms effective 12:01 am tomorrow statewide and announced by Abbot this morning, which also includes a statewide 10 person limit.

And honestly, I have some very good clients in the gym industry in Austin. The science that came to the forefront day before yesterday on the surface survivability of the virus is rather shocking. Those reports had all of my gym clients shut their doors voluntarily *prior* to the Travis County and City of Austin order on 10 people.

I'm not sure that you're getting the gist of my complaint. It's understandable that the gym, with its cavernous interior that can accommodate dozens of people, shut down. What's less understandable is why the tiny exercise room that is rarely-used in my apartment complex is being locked up. It's not just that; visits to the complex office are now forbidden, and maintenance will be provided only for "emergency" repairs.

You yourself have experienced and noted the economic disruption these actions are creating. Given the level of risk involved, are these actions worth it?

The surface viability reports of the last two days have changed my mind to at least that aspect considering the operation of a gym. Even with constant cleaning.

I would think that a rarely used gym would engender certain risks that are not present in a much-used gym. The much used gym presents the danger of group, social contact -- which is believed to be a primary transmission mechanism.

The rarely-used gym knocks that avenue out; but a rarely used gym is also, by definition, a rarely wiped gym, let alone a rarely deep cleaned gym. And again, the surface life of the Wuhan virus has been shown by preliminary studies to have up to a 3 week life on rubber and plastic; up to week on steel. And, the epidemiologists are seemingly showing that surface transmission is a modality that leads to at least some infection.

Not trying to spark an argument, but given those indications I dont think I would use a rarely-used gym that more people than I had access to any more than I would engage in a HIIT class these days.

All that said, I sincerely hope that there will be an avenue open for you to do your rehab work, some way, some how.

As for the management office being unstaffed, that would not be acceptable to me as a tenant. And, limiting maintenance to simply 'emergency repairs' would not be either.

RE: Coronoavirus Covid-19 thread - ruowls - 03-20-2020 07:25 PM

(03-19-2020 06:49 PM)tanqtonic Wrote:  Jonathan -- your gym would absolutely fall under the statewide order closing gyms effective 12:01 am tomorrow statewide and announced And honestly, I have some very good clients in the gym industry in Austin. The science that came to the forefront day before yesterday on the surface survivability of the virus is rather shocking. Those reports had all of my gym clients shut their doors voluntarily *prior* to the Travis County and City of Austin order on 10 people.
by Abbot this morning, which also includes a statewide 10 person limit.

I got it.

Your utilization of a small gym for rehabilitative healthcare has been disrupted. Your rehabilitation is a medical necessity. It can only be done utilizing the specific equipment a gym contains. Those who go to a gym for general health promotion have other means available to accomplish this task, i.e. not a medical necessity requiring specialized equipment. So, there should be a means to differentiate between the two and to ensure that the necessity of medical care is continued. And what better compromise than to use a gym that holds less than 10 people. It meets the needs of all as opposed to needlessly closing ALL gyms.

RE: Coronoavirus Covid-19 thread - ruowls - 03-20-2020 07:33 PM

(03-20-2020 07:24 PM)tanqtonic Wrote:  

The surface viability reports of the last two days have changed my mind to at least that aspect considering the operation of a gym. Even with constant cleaning.

I would think that a rarely used gym would engender certain risks that are not present in a much-used gym. The much used gym presents the danger of group, social contact -- which is believed to be a primary transmission mechanism.

The rarely-used gym knocks that avenue out; but a rarely used gym is also, by definition, a rarely wiped gym, let alone a rarely deep cleaned gym. And again, the surface life of the Wuhan virus has been shown by preliminary studies to have up to a 3 week life on rubber and plastic; up to week on steel. And, the epidemiologists are seemingly showing that surface transmission is a modality that leads to at least some infection.

Not trying to spark an argument, but given those indications I dont think I would use a rarely-used gym that more people than I had access to any more than I would engage in a HIIT class these days.

All that said, I sincerely hope that there will be an avenue open for you to do your rehab work, some way, some how.

This gets to the point I was trying to make about clinicians directing clinical care. There is a need for rehabilitative services. If Jonathan has a clinician's order for rehab or is under the direction of a clinician to do so, there should be a means to do so. And a small 10 person gym letting rehab patients continue care is not a big risk of propagating the virus.

RE: Coronoavirus Covid-19 thread - tanqtonic - 03-20-2020 07:34 PM

(03-20-2020 04:47 PM)RiceLad15 Wrote:  

Oh c'mon, it's not even a real, direct parallel. I know the Clinton Foundation is a boogeyman for some serious good and Hillary actually did some work within its structure.

It was a good joke, though.

Joke? I was following your lead as the basis of her accomplishments. Here is another:

Clinton has a significant amount of experience within Federal intradepartment communications, and the protections of such communications containing confidential information through her experience in network server design and implementation.

RE: Coronoavirus Covid-19 thread - tanqtonic - 03-20-2020 07:57 PM

Another neat thing:

https://techcrunch.com/2020/03/19/open-source-project-spins-up-3d-printed-ventilator-validation-prototype-in-just-one-week/

And another

https://www.facebook.com/groups/opensourcecovid19medicalsupplies/

People using open sourcing to put out files for 3D printing of medical masks and such -- people popping on and saying they have x and want to know where to send them.

RE: Coronoavirus Covid-19 thread - OptimisticOwl - 03-20-2020 08:09 PM

(03-20-2020 04:47 PM)RiceLad15 Wrote:  Oh c'mon, it's not even a real, direct parallel. I know the Clinton Foundation is a boogeyman for some serious good and Hillary actually did some work within its structure.

I agree she did a lot of work soliciting bribes donations. How that would help prepare her to lead the nation in a pandemic crisis, I am not sure.

I wonder, did she lose her touch when she lost the election? Donations sure dropped.

https://www.opensecrets.org/news/2019/11/clinton-foundation-cash-flow-drop/

RE: Coronoavirus Covid-19 thread - GoodOwl - 03-20-2020 08:17 PM

(03-20-2020 12:34 PM)ausowl Wrote:  
(03-20-2020 10:15 AM)tanqtonic Wrote:  
(03-20-2020 02:33 AM)mrbig Wrote:  
(03-20-2020 12:18 AM)tanqtonic Wrote:  And assuming that, how fing good are you going to feel 'proving' how bad Trump is after the weekend is done, we have 40 fing million people under essentially medical house arrest, and probably another 10 million with no jobs?

No offense big, (and #s) the time to proudly proclaim 'how anti Trump' you are, or 'how fing bad Trump', or whether Trump did what he could and felt prudent was justified based on the facts at the time is not really now. Just saying.

Ive gone nearly 72 hours without sleep trying to save 5 clients businesses and the 200+ jobs associated them, so the ongoing contest of either big's and lad's anti-Trump dick is bigger than any defense of Trump is kind of stale at this point to me.

Whether a fing one person position at the NSC would have made a hill of beans difference at this juncture seems kind of venal. And bluntly, if you dont like Trumps actions, then dont fing vote him. Now that is settled, lets all try to do our damndest to keep whatever little corner we can going forward.

Sorry, I am seriously punchy due to lack of sleep, and at this point pretty gd depressed.

No worries, I think we all get it at this point.

My one comment on the work you are doing is that I wished the current stimulus bill was structured completely different. I wish the federal government could say "businesses, don't fire anyone. we will guarantee the normal pay of your employees (including a fair estimate of tips for those in the service industry) for the next 4-6 weeks, capped at payment of an annual salary of $xxx,xxx (whatever congress can agree on). Profiteering from this will be a felony, so you better be honest with your claims because we are processing them now, sending out the checks now, and reviewing the substance of the claims later. Also, banks should extend short-term loans needed to cover these salary reimbursements at no interest, to be reimbursed by the companies when they receive their checks. Any bank who does not comply will not be eligible for any potential bank bailout that might be needed as future steps."

I agree with the salaries. But you overlook the other point of: how do you keep the businesses afloat? Debt obligations, contract delivery requirements, contract supply schedules, electricity, rent?

I talked with the operating officer of small central Texas independent radio station yesterday (wife of a contractor I am using there) -- ad revenue has gone to zero, how do they pay the rather substantial electric bills for radio transmission?

How does the now shuttered gym pay its monthly obligation on equipment? On rent? While the salary aspect you speak of is substantial, for at least two of my clients that load is 25% or less of the the other outgoing funds. That 25% is nice, it will not keep them as a going concern.

I like your approach on the dimension you come from, but, you dont think about the business organization approach there. If there is no ongoing business operator, there are no future employees.

MrB + Tanq = offer a far better solution than the Pelosi-McConnell throw money randomly into the economy. Banks would have the granular knowledge of their business clients (and a huge incentive) to make this work.

These posts seem to show the folly of the govt doing for the people and businesses what they should be allowed to do for themselves. Effectively semi-nationalizing business would just be too big a temptation for Democrats to not extend indefinitely, at least in part, in order to finally gain their socialist takeover foothold that is their net step in control and power.

The cure is already worse than the disease. 17,000 people died under Obama fiasco and about 60,000,000 were infected with the Swine Flu, and the rest of us and the nation survived without all this shutdown that has killed the roaring economy created in large part by removing increasing amounts of the government from and unshackling the economy. Now we're going the exact opposite direction, a Dem's wet dream, and they are carefully cheering on a multi-trillion dollar "fix" that is open-ended and very well could lead to government is the only one that can take over and keep things going nationalism and heavy socialism/communism/central planning.

Eventually the other shoe will have to drop, like it or not, and people will have to face the hard truth that there is no way to guarantee to save everyone...we will have to choose to get back to work together, to school together (most of which are safer places for children than cooped up in their homes or, worse, hanging out on the streets) and let the chips fall where they may until enough people build up their own immunities naturally and perhaps a vaccine is developed, though even now treatments and medicines that are being tried are showing some signs of progress. This is more than just a medical or scientific problem.

To the extent we balance that by rescuing our economy by unleashing again its capitalistic ability to succeed left unencumbered is the extent we get out of this as soon as possible with as little additional damage to people, especially poor, lower working class and middle classes (what's left of them). The open checkbook from the government method of "helping" is too Weimar Republic, but it is the standard playbook of destruction most on the left tout as never being done the "right way" (hey, just swap a "c" in there and see how that works over 40 or 50 years in sports). link: When Money Dies

RE: Coronoavirus Covid-19 thread - mrbig - 03-20-2020 08:36 PM

My daily chart. Not much good to say. Hopefully some of the bigger outbreaks in the USA slow their growth with either the either required or strongly encouraged social distancing. USA now with the most infections at day 15 on my graph plus the steepest slope at such a time.

New Orleans metro area up to about ~425 confirmed cases with a metro population of 1,275,000. That is 1 confirmed infection for every 3,000 people (and growing). I read earlier today that we have the 2nd highest number of infections per capita in the USA. Stupid Mardi Gras!
[Image: Novel%2Bcoronavirus%2Bepidemiologic%2Bcu..._20_20.png]

Starker than Iron Man.

RE: Coronoavirus Covid-19 thread - tanqtonic - 03-20-2020 08:58 PM

(03-20-2020 08:36 PM)mrbig Wrote:  My daily chart. Not much good to say. Hopefully some of the bigger outbreaks in the USA slow their growth with either the either required or strongly encouraged social distancing. USA now with the most infections at day 15 on my graph plus the steepest slope at such a time.

New Orleans metro area up to about ~425 confirmed cases with a metro population of 1,275,000. That is 1 confirmed infection for every 3,000 people (and growing). I read earlier today that we have the 2nd highest number of infections per capita in the USA. Stupid Mardi Gras!

Starker than Iron Man.

I expected that sharp increase in numbers and thus rate --- mainly due to the issue of the speedier machine testing catching up with the backlog of tests. IIRC the CDC chief day before yesterday noted that she expected the backlog bulge to get to day over day data in 48 hours or so.

I think the key is the day over day rates that come out of the next number of days that wont have the embedded time lag spike in them.

RE: Coronoavirus Covid-19 thread - GoodOwl - 03-20-2020 08:59 PM

[Image: 5e35c9a75bc79c7e8f421d82.jpeg]

the coronabug numbers in this chart are from Jan 31, 2020, and the current rates are all estimates which could just as likely go down when all is said and done. How many times did we shut down the economy in the past?

Quote:Infectious diseases will continue to emerge and re-emerge. I think it's part of the world we live in now," Eric Toner, a senior scientist at the Johns Hopkins Centre for Health Security, previously told Business Insider.

"We're in an age of epidemics because of globalization, because of encroachment on wild environments."
source: https://www.sciencealert.com/this-chart-shows-how-the-wuhan-virus-compares-to-other-recent-outbreaks

So, if Johns Hopkins scientist Eric Toner is correct, do we shut down our economy every time now going forward? Or is there a more rational approach that doesn't mean devastating the economy and hurting multi-millions, mostly poorer and middle class people?

Also worth knowing that approximately over 100,000 have recovered from their mild coronabug so far. Not too good news for scaring people into a panicked tizzy, though.

RE: Coronoavirus Covid-19 thread - GoodOwl - 03-20-2020 09:10 PM

and then there's these inconvenient facts:

CNN Downplayed Swine Flu Under Obama, Went Gonzo On Wuhan Flu Under Trump

The screen captures are CNN actual ones. Irrespective of your leanings, how does one explain away the obvious bias?

How many times has the media and its "reporters" reminded the public about how many actually DEAD from Swine Flu in 2009? Over a quarter of a million deaths. Where was the daily news coverage? The constant ticker of graphs and every new death breathlessly reported and re-reported without much context or depth? The demand for panic ? For overreaction? For shutting everything down, economy and people's livelihoods be damned? For destroying the roaringly successful economy (oh..wait..it was the Obamayears, eight years of disaster economically.)

Yes, the percentage may be higher, but if the vast majority of infections are benign to manageable, and if the vast majority of those relatively few dying from coronabug are those who primarily also have co-morbidities, then the question needs to be asked: Is this really an out-sized response?

Can we not instead manage the reasonable: increased hygiene, national program to provide sanitary supplies, videos and lessons for cleaning that people should have learned from their families (oh, wait...we've been propagandized to love breaking families up, celebrating single or no-parent households, act irresponsibly and make money off destroying the nuclear family and letting society foot the bills to create an increasingly ginormous and bloated government), send some food vouchers that can be used for actual needs of those who might get ill at home: healthy clear soups, inexpensive rubbing alcohol for cleansing, some healthy teas and maybe a mypillow for bedrest, and some tissues and, apparently, toilet paper shipped out directly? Some store-brand nighttime medicine and generic fever reducers? Along with an information sheet or links to videos or apps on how to take care of yourself at home like most people did before we ran to the doctor for every case of sniffles, necessitating the overuse of medical providers as normal when that should be anything but? All while still allowing most people to work, go to school, and fund the things the few who will get sick and even fewer who should actually go to the hospital for this bug to do so?

RE: Coronoavirus Covid-19 thread - greyowl72 - 03-20-2020 09:16 PM

(03-20-2020 08:36 PM)mrbig Wrote:  My daily chart. Not much good to say. Hopefully some of the bigger outbreaks in the USA slow their growth with either the either required or strongly encouraged social distancing. USA now with the most infections at day 15 on my graph plus the steepest slope at such a time.

Starker than Iron Man.

Ugly looking curve. Hoping that the trajectory is mainly due to more widespread testing.

RE: Coronoavirus Covid-19 thread - Hambone10 - 03-20-2020 09:17 PM

I don't know this source at all. Someone posted it in another thread, but they weren't having the same conversation we are on here remotely....

If even close to true, it explains a lot and verifies a lot of what at least a few of us have been saying

http://theconversation.com/coronavirus-south-koreas-success-in-controlling-disease-is-due-to-its-acceptance-of-surveillance-134068

According to the report, they reorganized in response to the 2015 MERS outbreak to a large-capacity healthcare system and a sophisticated biotech industry that can produce test kits quickly... but then it says they're testing 15,000 people per day.... second only to China in absolute numbers and 3rd in the world, per capita. That's not remotely universal testing as we're being described. At that rate and 52mm people, it will take 10 years to test everyone... once.

Then it explains how they're finding people
1) they track credit and debit purchases. S. Korea has the highest percentage of cashless transactions in the world
2) there are more cell phones than people and 860,000 transceivers in the small nation. I don't find the answer as easily, but one link I saw said we had around 100,000 towers. I don't know if towers = transceivers, but if even close, they seriously blow us away. The more transceivers, the more you can pin people down
3) and this is a big one... Phone companies require all customers to provide their real names and national registry numbers. Obviously we don't.
4) it says they have over 8mm CCTV cameras which doesn't sound like a lot, but it's one camera per 6.3 people. Our MOST surveilled city is Atlanta, with 7800 cameras for 500,000 people or 15.56 per 1000 people. SOmeone check my math... S. Korea has 10 times more cameras per person than our most surveilled city? I may have missed a decimal or completely screwed that up?? The key number sa far as I can tell is that in 2010 (10 years ago) the average person was caught on CCTV 83.1 times per day and every 9 seconds while traveling

So the key doesn't seem to be testing everyone (because they clearly aren't testing everyone, at least not according to this article, which IS praising s. Korea) but instead they seem to be doing a similar screening process to ours but they are vastly better at identifying whom everyone they are testing has contacted

Maybe the reason they're testing more people is simply because they're better able to tell EVERYONE that these people have contacted (especially those who wouldn't recognize these people and nobody can lie about it)

Quote:The result of the tracking is not only used by health authorities but also made public via national and local government websites, free smartphone apps that show the locations of infections, and text message updates about new local cases. This help citizens avoid hotspots of infections.

So....

Are the democrats on here or anyone critical of our testing response actually saying that they think Trump should have installed millions more CCTV cameras and been tracking everyone like this? They called him a fascist and Nazi for far less.

Now let's look at the number of people actually tested in these places....

As of March 20, S. Korea has tested 316,000 people.... which absolutely is a lot... and far more per capita (52mm people) than anywhere else... but it's nowhere near 'testing everyone'

For comparisons,
Italy has tested 207,000 people (out of 60mm). Couldn't possibly have a different result than S. Korea

we've tested 104,000 out of 327mm so a very low percentage

The UK, 65,000 out of 66mm... less than 1/3 of Italy with similar population

France 37,000 out of 67mm 1/5 of Italy with similar population

Spain, 30,000 out of 47mm 1/10 of Korea on a similar population

Here's the REAL proof

Japan has tested 15,000 out of a population of 127mm We've tested 8 times that many on less than 3 times the population, and they're doing even better than S. Korea. 33 deaths on more than twice the population vs 102.

Bottom line, nowhere else in the WORLD went to the lengths that S. Korea did... and again, unless I've missed a zero... they have tested about 0.6% of their population. Clearly they're not shot-gunning nor are they just testing everyone. A VERY logical assumption is that we're only testing those we can identify as having 'contacted' someone, and they are much better at that... so they not only get the guy he spoke to at the park, but the guy who sat on the same bench 5 minutes later.... but even with that, Japan is beating the sox off of them and testing almost nobody. Why don't we model Japan (which has to a small degree been my position)?

mediabiasfactcheck lists this source is 'high in factual reporting' and 'least biased' for what that is worth.

Now, if anyone wants to still argue that the difference between our results and S. Korea's or Japan's has to do with the amount of testing rather than social and cultural differences, then fact-check this source or provide an alternative source of similar information