CSNbbs
Coronoavirus Covid-19 thread - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: Members (/forum-401.html)
+----- Forum: Rice (/forum-444.html)
+------ Forum: Kent Rowald Memorial Quad (/forum-660.html)
+------ Thread: Coronoavirus Covid-19 thread (/thread-895134.html)

RE: Coronoavirus Covid-19 thread - tanqtonic - 03-18-2020 08:45 AM

(03-18-2020 12:44 AM)mrbig Wrote:  
(03-17-2020 03:44 PM)RiceLad15 Wrote:  And frankly, the fact that there are other posters who also love to get twisted in knots over almost any post on this board by a liberal-leaning poster (not just me, mind you) are getting twisted up here, isn't great evidence that all fault lies here. I've seen Tanq, OO, etc. go down similarly stupid rabbit holes with other liberal posters. It just so happens that I'm masochistic enough to continue to respond to this current thread.

03-lmfao Hit the nail on the head with this one. 03-lmfao

How any of you care this much about such ridiculous minutia and how you have the time on your hands to sit here and hate on Lad over the smallest little nothingburgers blows my mind.

Funny, the poster you cite now as a role model is now seemingly digging his heels in on a concept he calls 'effectively illegal' in order to justify his first post on the subject --- if that isnt the same minutiae then I am my own Aunt Betty.

RE: Coronoavirus Covid-19 thread - OptimisticOwl - 03-18-2020 08:47 AM

(03-18-2020 08:39 AM)tanqtonic Wrote:  
(03-18-2020 12:39 AM)mrbig Wrote:  
(03-17-2020 12:04 PM)OptimisticOwl Wrote:  Trump did not dissolve pandemic unit

nope

I know you guys will attack the sources. All I did was google and these came up.

I mean, there are a couple sites (probably others) saying that Red State is one of the further right-wing and least reliable (aka least factual) sites out there. So yeah, I don't trust the source at all. And I have no earthly idea what "longroom" even is. I won't cite Daily Kos to you if you won't cite Red State to me.

If you cite Daily Kos and it has links to source material, I am enough of a big boy to actually look at that source material. I might ignore the self-serving blather that accompanies the source material there (and on Red State, for that matter), but the sources can (and should) stand on their own.

If the Kos (Red State) piece is nothing but self-serving blather, then a call out is absolutely warranted.

Cmon man, as an attorney you should be very well trained in wading through and identifying such self-serving statements *and* the ability to pluck out the base facts from such morasses.

Here is a link to the Washington Examiner. I tried getting one directly to the Washington Post, the paper that published the Op Ed, but they wanted me to subscribe. Maybe Big already has a subscription. It seems to meet his criteria.

WashEx, quoting WashPo

RE: Coronoavirus Covid-19 thread - OptimisticOwl - 03-18-2020 08:49 AM

(03-18-2020 08:45 AM)tanqtonic Wrote:  I am my own Aunt Betty.

That would qualify you to be the Democratic VP candidate.

RE: Coronoavirus Covid-19 thread - RiceLad15 - 03-18-2020 08:50 AM

(03-18-2020 08:31 AM)tanqtonic Wrote:  What the **** is 'effectively illegal'? That is nonsensical. "Effectively non-existent'... perhaps.

'effectively illegal' is not really even a concept.

That is like saying a woman is 'effectively pregnant'. Is the supposed illegality now your fortified entrenchment point?

I'll take issue with your insistence that the term "effectively illegal" isn't a concept.

A good example of where you see this term a lot is around abortion rights, where a state creates significant barriers to obtaining an abortion, so as to effectively make it illegal (because someone has to jump through too many hoops to go through the legal process of obtaining an abortion in the state, even if it wasn't explicitly made illegal).

No issue if you want to argue that, in this instance, stock buybacks weren't "effectively illegal," but the phrase is not uncommon.

RE: Coronoavirus Covid-19 thread - tanqtonic - 03-18-2020 08:51 AM

(03-18-2020 08:45 AM)RiceLad15 Wrote:  
(03-18-2020 08:31 AM)tanqtonic Wrote:  What the **** is 'effectively illegal'? That is nonsensical. "Effectively non-existent'... perhaps.

That is like saying a woman is 'effectively pregnant'. Is the supposed illegality now your fortified entrenchment point?

Dude, no major skin in the game, so get untwisted.

I read multiple articles that referenced the stock buybacks as being illegal until the 1980s, because they were considered market manipulation. Sources ranged from Forbes to Bloomberg to CNN.

And the comment of "effectively illegal" was meant to denote that because of the ambiguity that the Bloomberg article made more clear, stock buybacks could be viewed as market manipulation and therefore, illegal.

Kind of like how that Bloomberg article said "This effectively shielded them from prosecution under the original 1934 legislation."

Go get your panties in a twist all ya want.

Could be viewed as illegal doesnt mean illegal. Or effectively illegal (whatever the **** that is).

As for panties in a twist, Im not the one making **** up out of thin air, son. Bummer.

If 'effectively illegal' (again, whatever the sh-t that means), then I guess all the 'going private transactions' from 1935 to 1982 were illegal. Amazing that.

RE: Coronoavirus Covid-19 thread - RiceLad15 - 03-18-2020 08:52 AM

(03-18-2020 08:45 AM)tanqtonic Wrote:  
(03-17-2020 03:44 PM)RiceLad15 Wrote:  And frankly, the fact that there are other posters who also love to get twisted in knots over almost any post on this board by a liberal-leaning poster (not just me, mind you) are getting twisted up here, isn't great evidence that all fault lies here. I've seen Tanq, OO, etc. go down similarly stupid rabbit holes with other liberal posters. It just so happens that I'm masochistic enough to continue to respond to this current thread.

How any of you care this much about such ridiculous minutia and how you have the time on your hands to sit here and hate on Lad over the smallest little nothingburgers blows my mind.

Funny, the poster you cite now as a role model is now seemingly digging his heels in on a concept he calls 'effectively illegal' in order to justify his first post on the subject --- if that isnt the same minutiae then I am my own Aunt Betty.

A single response is truly "digging my heels in."

Christ on a cracker.

RE: Coronoavirus Covid-19 thread - Hambone10 - 03-18-2020 08:53 AM

(03-17-2020 09:26 PM)tanqtonic Wrote:  The death rate on a per-capita basis has the United States at just around the lowest measured on a timeframe of 'days from first reported death'. Strikingly better than most elsewhere.

The one thing that comes to mind if you measure 'per-capita' is that China has one humongous denominator.

https://www.ft.com/content/a26fbf7e-48f8-11ea-aeb3-955839e06441

https://www.powerlineblog.com/archives/2020/03/coronavirus-mortality-varies-by-country.php

looking at the chart on powerline, taken from FT....

It's really quite impressive where the US falls, more in line with very closed and somewhat isolated societies who have for years had people wearing masks in public for much less than this like Japan and S. Korea.

Switzerland has little data but looks good. The netherlands has little data but looks horrible.

The UK, France, Spain, Italy all VERY measurably worse than us despite somewhat similar open cultures. China of course... but Iran is the surprise to me.

I'd guess that it has to do with 'people travel' patterns the early shut-down of travel to/from CHina... but with the spread to Europe and us only later addressing that, the risk is that we can see a spike as a result. We significantly slowed it from hitting us from China (plus the distance of course) but maybe not from Europe?

RE: Coronoavirus Covid-19 thread - RiceLad15 - 03-18-2020 08:59 AM

(03-18-2020 08:51 AM)tanqtonic Wrote:  

I read multiple articles that referenced the stock buybacks as being illegal until the 1980s, because they were considered market manipulation. Sources ranged from Forbes to Bloomberg to CNN.

And the comment of "effectively illegal" was meant to denote that because of the ambiguity that the Bloomberg article made more clear, stock buybacks could be viewed as market manipulation and therefore, illegal.

Kind of like how that Bloomberg article said "This effectively shielded them from prosecution under the original 1934 legislation."

Could be viewed as illegal doesnt mean illegal. Or effectively illegal (whatever the **** that is).

As for panties in a twist, Im not the one making **** up out of thin air, son. Bummer.

My God man.

I didn't make it up - as I said, I read multiple articles.

See:

Quote:For most of the 20th century, stock buybacks were deemed illegal because they were thought to be a form of stock market manipulation. But since 1982, when they were essentially legalized by the SEC, buybacks have become perhaps the most popular financial engineering tool in the C-Suite tool shed.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/aalsin/2017/02/28/shareholders-should-be-required-to-vote-on-stock-buybacks/#5cdb895e6b1e

Quote:Did you know that stock buybacks were illegal until 1982? It’s true.

The SEC, operating under the Reagan Republicans, passed rule 10b-18, which made stock buybacks legal. Up until the passing of this rule, the Securities Exchange Act of 1934 considered large-scale share repurchases a form of stock manipulation.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/7-reasons-stock-buybacks-illegal-172253787.html?guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbS8&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAACpM5ieTqKUYExU730uhAf_utZFRSN6uAqddk-j5aFDLKdQ6kX_ZUP15KLDgMXwr4GGKY8waQmY9yRdDihKeZ9Y3L-OXUUullJcb9EDIRLZtFjRlwTxtrjNughilroi3_zSgez-9kxDKADc0-wLQY0BEut48tBzNa16gsBGJmT5u

And I can keep going. I didn't make this up out of thin air - far from it. I went online and tried to learn a bit more about the history of stock buybacks, and as Frizzy mentioned, was misinformed.

The article on Bloomberg that Frizzy posted dug deeper into the history of stock buybacks, which was informative. But even it touched on how the ambiguity of the Securities and Exchange Act made stock buybacks potentially illegal if they were viewed as a form of market manipulation.

Anyways, I could care less about the outcome of this, but I certainly did not pull this out my ass.

RE: Coronoavirus Covid-19 thread - tanqtonic - 03-18-2020 09:01 AM

(03-18-2020 08:59 AM)RiceLad15 Wrote:  

My God man.

See:

Quote:For most of the 20th century, stock buybacks were deemed illegal because they were thought to be a form of stock market manipulation. But since 1982, when they were essentially legalized by the SEC, buybacks have become perhaps the most popular financial engineering tool in the C-Suite tool shed.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/aalsin/2017/02/28/shareholders-should-be-required-to-vote-on-stock-buybacks/#5cdb895e6b1e

The SEC, operating under the Reagan Republicans, passed rule 10b-18, which made stock buybacks legal. Up until the passing of this rule, the Securities Exchange Act of 1934 considered large-scale share repurchases a form of stock manipulation.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/7-reasons-stock-buybacks-illegal-172253787.html?guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbS8&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAACpM5ieTqKUYExU730uhAf_utZFRSN6uAqddk-j5aFDLKdQ6kX_ZUP15KLDgMXwr4GGKY8waQmY9yRdDihKeZ9Y3L-OXUUullJcb9EDIRLZtFjRlwTxtrjNughilroi3_zSgez-9kxDKADc0-wLQY0BEut48tBzNa16gsBGJmT5u

And I can keep going. I didn't make this up out of thin air - far from it. I went online and tried to learn a bit more about the history of stock buybacks, and as Frizzy mentioned, was misinformed.

The article on Bloomberg that Frizzy posted dug deeper into the history of stock buybacks, which was informative. But even it touched on how the ambiguity of the Securities and Exchange Act made stock buybacks potentially illegal if they were viewed as a form of market manipulation.

Anyways, I could care less about the outcome of this, but I certainly did not pull this out my ass.

Dude, read the fing caselaw. Good fing grief. I am glad you have changed your stance from 'effectively illegal' to 'potentially'.

If you were smart, you would actually read the fing law section in question. Then, you might even note how all-encompassing it is, then note the inherent problems with such all encompassing language.

I mean, the literal wording of 9b might make hedge fund trading potentially liable as manipulative.

Seriously, this is an area I did deep and hard for three to four years. So yes, I know what the fk Im talking about.

In short, it was an unresolved area until 1982. Happened in not great numbers, and no one did anything about it because it was such a stretch. All the case law involves really bad, fraudulent stuff. Knowing some people that did this in that era, the ball was rolling to do it straight up more and more as a practice since all the caselaw involved such bad stuff. Reagan simply put into the rules what the caselaw distinctions were making clear.

Big difference from 'effectively illegal'. And no, I dont expect Forbes to do that type of background.

RE: Coronoavirus Covid-19 thread - OptimisticOwl - 03-18-2020 09:02 AM

Please don't dismiss because of the source.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDyvkbwR6Uw]buybacks

As an MBA student in the 70's, I never heard a word about buybacks being illegal in any way. If they were, we sure wasted a lot of time studying them.

RE: Coronoavirus Covid-19 thread - RiceLad15 - 03-18-2020 09:07 AM

(03-18-2020 08:53 AM)Hambone10 Wrote:  
(03-17-2020 09:26 PM)tanqtonic Wrote:  The death rate on a per-capita basis has the United States at just around the lowest measured on a timeframe of 'days from first reported death'. Strikingly better than most elsewhere.

The one thing that comes to mind if you measure 'per-capita' is that China has one humongous denominator.

https://www.powerlineblog.com/archives/2020/03/coronavirus-mortality-varies-by-country.php

It's really quite impressive where the US falls, more in line with very closed and somewhat isolated societies who have for years had people wearing masks in public for much less than this like Japan and S. Korea.

Switzerland has little data but looks good. The netherlands has little data but looks horrible.

The UK, France, Spain, Italy all VERY measurably worse than us despite somewhat similar open cultures. China of course... but Iran is the surprise to me.

I'd guess that it has to do with 'people travel' patterns the early shut-down of travel to/from CHina... but with the spread to Europe and us only later addressing that, the risk is that we can see a spike as a result. We significantly slowed it from hitting us from China (plus the distance of course) but maybe not from Europe?

The graph you're talking about is from 3/15. I'm following the guy on Twitter, who is updating it daily. See here.

https://mobile.twitter.com/jburnmurdoch

A lot has changed in two to three days, and we no longer look like those Asian countries:

[Image: ETYvweEXkAAfbck?format=jpg&name=large]

And if we are talking about total cases - the difference is more stark. See here:

[Image: ETYyrFxX0AEOw5L?format=jpg&name=large]

Note that the x-axis is normalized to either number of days since the 10th death or 100th case

RE: Coronoavirus Covid-19 thread - Hambone10 - 03-18-2020 09:07 AM

(03-18-2020 08:52 AM)RiceLad15 Wrote:  
(03-18-2020 08:45 AM)tanqtonic Wrote:  

A single response is truly "digging my heels in."

Christ on a cracker.

Change 'digging my heels in' to 'stating as a pertinent fact' or even omitting it entirely and the post still stands.

The very definition of arguing in minutiae

I will 100% admit to having an irrational issue with this sort of thing and will apologize for how I handle it... but it quite literally cost me a 25 year marriage. Substantive things (whether something is illegal or not) never got discussed because they were 'rabbit trailed' in favor of debates over the definition of 'digging one's heels in'.

RE: Coronoavirus Covid-19 thread - RiceLad15 - 03-18-2020 09:09 AM

(03-18-2020 09:01 AM)tanqtonic Wrote:  

My God man.

See:

Dude, read the fing caselaw. Good fing grief. I am glad you have changed your stance from 'effectively illegal' to 'potentially'.

If you were smart, you would actually read the fing law section in question. Then, you might even note how all-encompassing it is, then note the inherent problems with such all encompassing language.

I mean, the literal wording of 9b might make hedge fund trading potentially liable as manipulative.

Seriously, this is an area I did deep and hard for three to four years. So yes, I know what the fk Im talking about.

I am not denying what you're saying. I'm defending the idea that I did not pull this out my ass. I didn't just pop on here and go, I'm going to make a statement without even doing a cursory review of it.

If you want to provide a deeper explanation, I'm all for it. But don't be an ass and go on attack mode ASAP.

RE: Coronoavirus Covid-19 thread - tanqtonic - 03-18-2020 09:14 AM

(03-18-2020 09:09 AM)RiceLad15 Wrote:  
(03-18-2020 08:45 AM)RiceLad15 Wrote:  Dude, no major skin in the game, so get untwisted.

My God man.

See:

I am not denying what you're saying. I'm defending the idea that I did not pull this out my ass. I didn't just pop on here and go, I'm going to make a statement without even doing a cursory review of it.

If you want to provide a deeper explanation, I'm all for it. But don't be an ass and go on attack mode ASAP.

edited into my post before you posted:

In short, it was an unresolved area until 1982. Happened in not great numbers, and no one did anything about it because it was such a stretch. All the case law involves really bad, fraudulent stuff. Knowing some people that did this in that era, the ball was rolling to do it straight up more and more as a practice since all the caselaw involved such bad stuff. Reagan simply put into the rules what the caselaw distinctions were making clear.

Big difference from 'effectively illegal'.

So yes, the talking point (which it is) that buybacks were illegal is poppycock.

Again, note how many companies did the going private thing. If they were illegal, then none of those transactions should have ever occurred.

RE: Coronoavirus Covid-19 thread - Hambone10 - 03-18-2020 09:21 AM

(03-18-2020 09:07 AM)RiceLad15 Wrote:  
(03-18-2020 08:53 AM)Hambone10 Wrote:  

The graph you're talking about is from 3/15. I'm following the guy on Twitter, who is updating it daily. See here.

https://mobile.twitter.com/jburnmurdoch

A lot has changed in two to three days, and we no longer look like those Asian countries:

[Image: ETYvweEXkAAfbck?format=jpg&name=large]

So my concern was absolutely spot on and the decision to limit travel from Europe was the right one though perhaps late. Thanks. Still, hard to support the US totally failing here out of the gate as so many have implied when the INITIAL response seems to have done us great favors and the next step seems to be similarly logical.

Would we rather the results from almost anywhere else in Europe?

Germany will be interesting to watch and it will also be interesting to see what happens with Japan. They've ticked up a lot as well.

Quote:And if we are talking about total cases - the difference is more stark. See here:

[Image: ETYyrFxX0AEOw5L?format=jpg&name=large]

Note that the x-axis is normalized to either number of days since the 10th death or 100th case

I wouldn't put any stock whatsoever into this.

100th case depends on data that is clearly unreliable.... even from the US.... and we're a very large nation compared to many of the places hardest hit, while also being much smaller than the biggest issue. Sort of like trying to read something in to the differences in rates between Marfa, Tx and NYC without considering population density etc. I'd similarly submit that measuring deaths between us and a 3rd world country would similarly be poor data, but given the quality similarities between most of the nations listed, mortality isn't going to be heavily impacted by that.

RE: Coronoavirus Covid-19 thread - RiceLad15 - 03-18-2020 09:21 AM

(03-18-2020 09:14 AM)tanqtonic Wrote:  
(03-18-2020 08:51 AM)tanqtonic Wrote:  Could be viewed as illegal doesnt mean illegal. Or effectively illegal (whatever the **** that is).

My God man.

See:

So yes, the talking point (which it is) that buybacks were illegal is poppycock.

Again, note how many companies did the going private thing. If they were illegal, then none of those transactions should have ever occurred.

I never claimed you didn't know anything about this area, and I definitely appreciate the information. It's really unfortunate how many different articles I found, from varying sources, that stated flatly that they were illegal. Even that Bloomberg piece, which is about how convoluted their history it is, didn't provide the kind of perspective that you have.

RE: Coronoavirus Covid-19 thread - tanqtonic - 03-18-2020 09:25 AM

So, Lad, now that you know some of the history and background a little deeper, perhaps look at your 'talking point' source with a critical eye.

Why did that talking point say they were 'illegal' (flat out illegal mind you) until the 80's? I will grant you absolutely that relative to the modern era, they werent nearly as commonplace, and because of a morass of sweeping broad language.

But the funny thing is that your talking point source apparently said flat out 'they were illegal', not that 'they werent practiced commonly until the caselaw denoted an actual fraudulent act had to have taken place', nor did they even say anything about the broad sweeping language of the 1934 Act.

But 'illegal' is pithy, and has a great juicy emotional impact. Perhaps you should actually turn a critical eye as to your talking points source(s) and why *they* seemingly engage in that practice.

RE: Coronoavirus Covid-19 thread - OptimisticOwl - 03-18-2020 09:27 AM

Quote:Sen. Elizabeth Warren on Tuesday outlined her own set of stipulations for any Big Business that receives federal bailout money. They include permanently giving up stock buy-backs and adding at least one seat to the board representing workers.

Going back to the root of the discussion, my major objection to this is the word "permanently".

The Democrats are trying to make good use of a crisis to pass permanent changes in our world.

If they would reword this to cover just current or specific bailouts, or specifically limit the use of bailout monies to other uses, I would be OK with it. But the sly underhanded way of trying to pass permanent legislation under the guise of addressing a crisis does not sit well with me.

Whether or not stock buybacks should be illegal should be the topic of extended debate during calmer times, not stealth legislation.

That AOC also favors making stock buybacks permanently illegal does not soothe me in any way.

My biggest fear is not that I will die by the virus, but that I will have to live out the end of my life under Progressive Socialist rule.

RE: Coronoavirus Covid-19 thread - Frizzy Owl - 03-18-2020 09:38 AM

(03-18-2020 09:21 AM)RiceLad15 Wrote:  
(03-18-2020 09:14 AM)tanqtonic Wrote:  
(03-18-2020 08:59 AM)RiceLad15 Wrote:  My God man.

See:

I never claimed you didn't know anything about this area, and I definitely appreciate the information. It's really unfortunate how many different articles I found, from varying sources, that stated flatly that they were illegal. Even that Bloomberg piece, which is about how convoluted their history it is, didn't provide the kind of perspective that you have.

It only took me five minutes to find that Bloomberg article. I've gotten good at that since I learned that journalism is no longer an honest profession. They lie. They do it with all the skill of a trained writer, and they do so out of a sincere belief that the ends justify the means in manipulating public opinion.

The "reliable" news sources you think you can trust? You shouldn't. Not if you want to be accused of critical thinking instead of being loyal to the team.

It's a good thing we have the internet.

The journalists who are arguing for oversight of internet content to thwart "populism" and "fake news"? They want to return to the days where a few news sources controlled the narrative.

RE: Coronoavirus Covid-19 thread - RiceLad15 - 03-18-2020 09:52 AM

Cuban joins Warren.

Frizzy - thoughts?

Quote:“No buybacks. Not now. Not a year from now. Not 20 years from now. Not ever,” Cuban said on “Squawk Box.” “Because effectively you’re spending taxpayer money to buyback stock and to me that’s just the wrong way to do that.”

He also said, “Whatever we do in a bailout, make sure that every worker is compensated and treated equally — in that the executives don’t get rewarded extra to stick around because they got nowhere else to go.”

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/18/mark-cuban-says-bailed-out-companies-should-never-be-allowed-to-buy-back-their-stocks-ever-again.html?fbclid=IwAR1B77D8XirzlXrWWlKTljh19ZVnIIwqjYPezRfwq9pMaWWwKgOAEtvATFE