CSNbbs
Coronoavirus Covid-19 thread - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: Members (/forum-401.html)
+----- Forum: Rice (/forum-444.html)
+------ Forum: Kent Rowald Memorial Quad (/forum-660.html)
+------ Thread: Coronoavirus Covid-19 thread (/thread-895134.html)

RE: Coronoavirus Covid-19 thread - Fort Bend Owl - 03-15-2020 11:09 AM

Update on my nephew - apparently DFW and O'Hair are the worst two airports. He just landed at JFK and actually got there just at the right time. He was thru customs in minutes, so don't believe everything you read.

He also was lucky in the timing as he was most recently in Uzbekistan which just had its first case. That country has immediately shut down all international flights so the folks he was with are now stranded there. Apparently for now, they can take a train so they're all trying to take a train to Russia and fly out of that country.

RE: Coronoavirus Covid-19 thread - Owl 69/70/75 - 03-15-2020 11:31 AM

(03-15-2020 11:09 AM)Fort Bend Owl Wrote:  Update on my nephew - apparently DFW and O'Hair are the worst two airports. He just landed at JFK and actually got there just at the right time. He was thru customs in minutes, so don't believe everything you read.
He also was lucky in the timing as he was most recently in Uzbekistan which just had its first case. That country has immediately shut down all international flights so the folks he was with are now stranded there. Apparently for now, they can take a train so they're all trying to take a train to Russia and fly out of that country.

Glad he got out. My son and his GF are supposed to come here from Tokyo for a visit next month. No idea whether that will happen or not.

RE: Coronoavirus Covid-19 thread - RiceLad15 - 03-15-2020 12:15 PM

Cuomo Op-Ed in the Times calls for using Army Corps and National Guard to quickly increase total number of hospital beds available in US.

I posted this earlier, and seems like it’s maybe picking up traction.

Quote: States cannot build more hospitals, acquire ventilators or modify facilities quickly enough. At this point, our best hope is to utilize the Army Corps of Engineers to leverage its expertise, equipment and people power to retrofit and equip existing facilities — like military bases or college dormitories — to serve as temporary medical centers. Then we can designate existing hospital beds for the acutely ill.

We believe the use of active duty Army Corps personnel would not violate federal law because this is a national disaster. Doing so still won’t provide enough intensive care beds, but it is our best hope.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/15/opinion/andrew-cuomo-coronavirus-trump.html

RE: Coronoavirus Covid-19 thread - tanqtonic - 03-15-2020 12:30 PM

Perhaps this will make the 35 states that impose a 'Certificate of Need' that artificially limit the supply of hospital beds and equipment reconsider.

Thank you state intervention for providing a bureaucratic roadblock that helps define our 2.8 beds per 1000 people as being amazingly short of the 3.2 in Italy, or the 4.3 in China. It is idiotic for a state to regulate the number of hospital beds in its borders.

Many CON laws even cover purchases of specific equipment like ventilators.

RE: Coronoavirus Covid-19 thread - tanqtonic - 03-15-2020 12:33 PM

This is an interesting view on an avenue to a wide dispersal of a vaccine in rather short time. Creating a public domain DNA-based plasmid Wuhan virus vaccine with 25k in funding through places like GoFundMe.

Quote:"The company that we are, shall we say, cribbing the most off of…they have a phase two clinical trial using the exact same approach for MERS [Middle Eastern Respiratory Syndrome]," says the biohacker.

The method has successfully produced antibodies to MERS but remains untested on a large population because there has been no outbreak since it was developed. Still, this gives the biohacker and his team enough confidence to proceed.

Little bit of broad background: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DNA_vaccination#DNA_vaccines

RE: Coronoavirus Covid-19 thread - At Ease - 03-15-2020 12:59 PM

Quote:An examination of how the Trump administration responded to the coronavirus outbreak that was first documented in December reveals a story of missed opportunities, mismanagement and a president who resisted the advice of experts urging a more aggressive response. All the while, Trump made a series of upbeat claims, some of which were flatly false, including that the number of cases was declining in the U.S. and that “anybody who needs a test gets a test.”

Quote:On Jan. 8, the CDC issued an alert about the disease. But the agency was without one of its crucial partners in combatting such a threat. The CDC would have worked closely with the NSC’s global health unit, but that had been disbanded.

U.S. intelligence analysts also flagged the mysterious Chinese outbreak. The National Center for Medical Intelligence, which is part of the Defense Intelligence Agency, reported in early January that 59 people had been stricken ill, a U.S. intelligence official told NBC News. Then the numbers quickly mushroomed to 548 sick and 17 dead, the official said.

In 2018, Trump fired his homeland security adviser, Thomas Bossert, whose portfolio included global pandemics. The next month, national security adviser John Bolton disbanded the NSC’s global health unit. Rear Adm. Timothy Ziemer, the top official in charge of a pandemic response, also left his job. So did Borio, whose title was director for medical and biodefense preparedness.

None of them was replaced. That meant Trump had no top advisers in the White House with expertise in global pandemics.

Quote:Current and former officials describe a president who would get fixated on discrete aspects of the problem, from large to small, and go off on tangents about them during meetings.

Initially he was worried about worsening relations with China, they say. Then he fretted about the stock markets, and his chief goal was to stabilize a financial indicator that he’d made a central part of his re-election campaign.

Quote:“The Coronavirus is very much under control in the USA,” Trump wrote. “We are in contact with everyone and all relevant countries. CDC & World Health have been working hard and very smart. Stock Market starting to look very good to me!”

The next day, a senior health professional gave the opposite message.

“It’s not so much of a question of if this will happen anymore but rather more of a question of exactly when this will happen,” Dr. Nancy Messonnier, director of the National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases, told reporters in a news briefing.

Nobody at the White House had been saying anything close to that in public. Stock prices plummeted after the news conference.

Trump was furious, people briefed on the matter told NBC News, and urged that Messonier be muzzled.

Quote:The Trump White House continued to balk at health professionals who wanted to issue stark advice, officials told NBC News. One example: The CDC wanted to recommend that anyone over 60 remain inside their homes whenever possible, but was told not to say that by Trump administration officials, three people familiar with the matter told NBC News.

Another indicator of who is really in control of CDC actions..

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/white-house/mismanagement-missed-opportunities-how-white-house-bungled-coronavirus-response-n1158746

RE: Coronoavirus Covid-19 thread - Owl 69/70/75 - 03-15-2020 01:09 PM

I have an idea, suggested by a former faculty colleague of mine.

Why not just quarantine the people who are at highest risk, and let life go on for the rest of us?

RE: Coronoavirus Covid-19 thread - mrbig - 03-15-2020 02:15 PM

(03-15-2020 03:51 AM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  If a strong leader would have said, "No, CDC, we are not going to wait on you to develop a test, we are going to use the WHO test that the rest of the world uses. And no, CDC, we are not going to have you evaluating all tests, we are going to use state, local, and private sector resources to do so.

You sound like Cartman talking to his cat.

RE: Coronoavirus Covid-19 thread - illiniowl - 03-15-2020 03:46 PM

(03-15-2020 01:09 PM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  I have an idea, suggested by a former faculty colleague of mine.

Why not just quarantine the people who are at highest risk, and let life go on for the rest of us?

Spoken like a true ivory-tower denizen.

RE: Coronoavirus Covid-19 thread - Owl 69/70/75 - 03-15-2020 04:00 PM

(03-15-2020 03:46 PM)illiniowl Wrote:  
(03-15-2020 01:09 PM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  I have an idea, suggested by a former faculty colleague of mine.
Spoken like a true ivory-tower denizen.

So, what's wrong with that?

RE: Coronoavirus Covid-19 thread - mrbig - 03-15-2020 04:03 PM

No numbers from Italy and Iran, but I updated the rest of the countries to 3/15/20. I also cut off the last few days for South Korea to only extend to 20 days. Their chart remains relatively flat and doesn't really add much.

[Image: Covid-19%2Bepidemiologic%2Bcurves%252C%2..._15_20.png]

RE: Coronoavirus Covid-19 thread - Fort Bend Owl - 03-15-2020 05:15 PM

A new WSJ/NBC News poll shows that just 30% of Republicans have either stopped attending large gatherings or plan to follow that approach while more than twice that number (61%) of Democrats say they no longer will attend large gatherings.

I saw another graphic (but can't find it to link to right now) that says something like that 'The Greatest Generation fought World War II, but Millennials can't be bothered to stay on the couch for two weeks?'

RE: Coronoavirus Covid-19 thread - OptimisticOwl - 03-15-2020 06:02 PM

(03-15-2020 05:15 PM)Fort Bend Owl Wrote:  A new WSJ/NBC News poll shows that just 30% of Republicans have either stopped attending large gatherings or plan to follow that approach while more than twice that number (61%) of Democrats say they no longer will attend large gatherings.

IF this is correct, it will be interesting to see what explanations various people would give for it. I can think of one that would likely find favor among the left and another that would likely find favor among the right.

RE: Coronoavirus Covid-19 thread - Hambone10 - 03-16-2020 10:01 AM

Been busy this weekend... sorry... Missed some posts and don't want to try and read every one, but a few jumped out at me.

(03-13-2020 05:21 PM)Foff Wrote:  so u agree its absurd for donny to talk about SWINE FLU FULL SCALE DISASTER, yes? yes.

and u got the ODS real real bad if u think he pimped stock performance under him anything like donny has. find me one quote one where he takes credit. donnys got hundreds.
Addressing more than is quoted here... but this is close enough.

Reading is an important skill. Re-read what I said and you'll see that I don't give a rats ass about things you apparently think are important, and probably didn't even address things you apparently think I'm talking about. It might help if you not start reading IN to things, before you actually READ them.

(03-13-2020 05:45 PM)RiceLad15 Wrote:  But there is no evidence to even speculate, in a realistic manner, that there will be. Like, it shouldn’t be part of the conversation because there is no evidence.

There is plenty of evidence to speculate, which is why the CDC initially did. Among the evidence is 'where' it is occurring worst and where it is not, as well as the family of viruses. Evidence to speculate is not remotely the same as proof. The primary issues are: 1) you're dealing with something that could easily infect the entire globe... It's not especially deadly (relatively) so that's not the problem... but because it is so common, the difference between 0.8% and 1.2% mortality is potentially a whole lot of people. Unless I missed a zero, in the US alone that would be an additional 150,000 people... and 2) as I've sort of alluded to, the 'risk' is in a cavalier attitude which too much belief in seasonality could easily cause the above. So the CDC and others are smart to downplay the possibility... but that doesn't mean that those who aren't policy makers believing something are 'wrong', which is what you're implying... you're basically employing the same 'denier' conversation... that unless you agree with 'this' position, you don't have a right to an opinion (shouldn't be part of the conversation)

If you expect seasonality and you're behaving as if it doesn't matter what you do, I agree that you're a problem. If you're expecting seasonality but you're smart enough not to count on it, you're fine. I read the quote you gave very much as the latter, not the former.

(03-14-2020 01:03 AM)mrbig Wrote:  
(03-13-2020 07:58 PM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  I think the best thing Trump did today is to bring the private sector into the effort. That's the way to get things done, not relying on the three stooges--CDC, FDA, and NIH.

The "three stooges" do a whole hell of a lot of good. Surely ruowls or Hambone will back up the opinion of a fellow science-lover?

Of course they do a whole lot of good... The overwhelming parts of their budgets (like 85+%) though are not for 'emerging' sorts of viruses but for more chronic/preventative/policy sorts of things... Though they fund a lot of research (and decide what to fund and when and how) they are not the ones doing MOST of the work. The biggest thing they do is decide which research to support more or how to coordinate it.... and then how to put it into practice.

(03-14-2020 12:21 PM)mrbig Wrote:  . Am I correct that the keys are: (1) identifying the infected;
You are generally correct... but the 'risk' isn't those who are clearly infected and seeking treatment. The 'risk' is those who avoid testing and/or ignore the results and/or those with a false negative.

I say this because your #1 presumes/requires a VERY accurate means of doing so because the risk of exposure and spread (not symptoms, but simply 'carry') is so high... and the 'standard of care' for diseases like this is to treat you like you've got it regardless of what the test says if you meet a few basic criteria.

If you have symptoms, act like you have the disease so move on to #2 on your list. If you've been exposed to someone who has recently come from an impacted area, act like you have the disease so move on to #2 on your list.

It's no different than if you answered the 'any recent travel outside the US' at the ER question. If you meet certain criteria, they will contain you immediately.

(03-14-2020 12:56 PM)ruowls Wrote:  As to the critical cases becoming overwhelming, this is an issue that is being sensationalized.
We don't know the fatality rate because we don't know the number of truly infected persons. The preliminary number has been over 3. However, the current number in South Korea is 0.79. If the numbers of infected reach flu like numbers, then you could have a serious problem. But if the numbers stay in the current range, and the fatality rate approximates South Korea, this is a non issue. But it stresses the importance of people minimizing casual contact to choke off the spread.

This

(03-15-2020 12:15 PM)RiceLad15 Wrote:  Cuomo Op-Ed in the Times calls for using Army Corps and National Guard to quickly increase total number of hospital beds available in US.

Quote: States cannot build more hospitals, acquire ventilators or modify facilities quickly enough. At this point, our best hope is to utilize the Army Corps of Engineers to leverage its expertise, equipment and people power to retrofit and equip existing facilities — like military bases or college dormitories — to serve as temporary medical centers. Then we can designate existing hospital beds for the acutely ill.

We believe the use of active duty Army Corps personnel would not violate federal law because this is a national disaster. Doing so still won’t provide enough intensive care beds, but it is our best hope.

Which is precisely what declaring a state of emergency makes possible.

We aren't remotely close to overwhelming our hospital systems now, especially in that one of the biggest issue isn't beds, but clinicians.... so long as people don't behave irrationally... but all one has to do is see the toilet paper aisles to know that is the case...

But the solution to irrational behavior isn't to set up military mash units on every street corner (we already have a few bases that have been set aside for quarantines)... but instead to reduce/eliminate the panic.

RE: Coronoavirus Covid-19 thread - RiceLad15 - 03-16-2020 11:10 AM

(03-16-2020 10:01 AM)Hambone10 Wrote:  
(03-15-2020 12:15 PM)RiceLad15 Wrote:  Cuomo Op-Ed in the Times calls for using Army Corps and National Guard to quickly increase total number of hospital beds available in US.

Which is precisely what declaring a state of emergency makes possible.

We aren't remotely close to overwhelming our hospital systems now, especially in that one of the biggest issue isn't beds, but clinicians.... so long as people don't behave irrationally... but all one has to do is see the toilet paper aisles to know that is the case...

But the solution to irrational behavior isn't to set up military mash units on every street corner (we already have a few bases that have been set aside for quarantines)... but instead to reduce/eliminate the panic.

Yes, at this exact moment, we are not close to overwhelming the entirety of our hospital system. But the concern is that we will get there, given the rate of spread/new cases, and how frequently cases seem to be resulting in hospital visits (and that turn into ICU cases).

I've read countless articles that quote numerous leaders in the medical community, from hospital presidents to Dr. Fauci that make it clear that hospital capacity is a concern, even in the not-worst case scenario. So are you trying to say hospital capacity isn't a concern except in a worst-case scenario?

Also, what do you mean by "so long as people don't behave irrantionally?"

RE: Coronoavirus Covid-19 thread - tanqtonic - 03-16-2020 11:13 AM

So, with regards to the previous semantic thrash-fest re: heat and humidity:

Quote:we find, under a linear regression framework for 100 Chinese cities, high temperature and high relative humidity significantly reduce the transmission of COVID-19, respectively, even after controlling for population density and GDP per capita of cities. One degree Celsius increase in temperature and one percent increase in relative humidity lower R by 0.0383 and 0.0224, respectively. This result is consistent with the fact that the high temperature and high humidity significantly reduce the transmission of influenza. It indicates that the arrival of summer and rainy season in the northern hemisphere can effectively reduce the transmission of the COVID-19.

https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=3551767 -- "High Temperature and High Humidity Reduce the Transmission of COVID-19"

RE: Coronoavirus Covid-19 thread - RiceLad15 - 03-16-2020 11:30 AM

(03-16-2020 11:13 AM)tanqtonic Wrote:  So, with regards to the previous semantic thrash-fest re: heat and humidity:

Quote:we find, under a linear regression framework for 100 Chinese cities, high temperature and high relative humidity significantly reduce the transmission of COVID-19, respectively, even after controlling for population density and GDP per capita of cities. One degree Celsius increase in temperature and one percent increase in relative humidity lower R by 0.0383 and 0.0224, respectively. This result is consistent with the fact that the high temperature and high humidity significantly reduce the transmission of influenza. It indicates that the arrival of summer and rainy season in the northern hemisphere can effectively reduce the transmission of the COVID-19.

https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=3551767 -- "High Temperature and High Humidity Reduce the Transmission of COVID-19"

That's good to see! Hard science is necessary in these situations - making broad assumptions without them can lead to serious consequences. Hopefully further information will back this up, allowing us to reduce the spread and be better prepared for the onset of colder weather at the end of the year.

RE: Coronoavirus Covid-19 thread - Hambone10 - 03-16-2020 12:12 PM

Trying to respond to multiple things you said, Lad... without getting another 2 page response...

If you want to know what I would say to my boss... I would say... we all know this is grossly overblown... however, given the political climate, the RISK TO THE ORGANIZATION is to even appear to downplay it and then have something happen, even if it is really unrelated to what we said or did.... because as we all know, there are lots of stupid people in this world and even more people just looking for someone to blame for something/an angle. Therefore, DESPITE the facts and truth and science and numbers, we should focus on the risks, not the reality. It's sort of the 'assume the gun is loaded' standard of care... Scientifically, if you've verified that the gun is unloaded, you are fine... but it is a 'best practice' (because the risk is so high) to act like it is loaded anyway (in terms of handling).

As to 'hard science' being necessary in these situations... I disagree greatly. Hard science would tell you that if you don't have a complicating issue yourself or someone close to you... you'll be fine. Hard science would also tell you that 50,000 US deaths is a rounding error and consistent with many other health issues. Consider though that at least half of the fight over 'gun control' deals with rifles, including assault rifles and 'machine guns' which in total are responsible for fewer than 500 deaths a year.... whether gang related, suicide, murder, mass shooting or accident.

But more to the point... If Hard Science is so important, why were you so insistent that people 'not even allow into the conversation' a scientific possibility and that we should default to something that wasn't scientifically proven? That there IS no seasonality? The answer to that question relates to my initial response above.

I assume that this is a relatively well-informed, non-reactionary group of people on this forum. A few who have expressed a limited concern I know for a fact are not that way... If this were my facebook, I would be careful not to give the real facts to people and instead, like my advice to my boss, focus on the risks.

Given who the CDC et al are and what they do... I feel EXTREMELY confident that this is exactly what they are doing... focusing on the risks and knowing that the average American is a reactionary moron and/or opportunist.

RE: Coronoavirus Covid-19 thread - RiceLad15 - 03-16-2020 12:36 PM

(03-16-2020 12:12 PM)Hambone10 Wrote:  Trying to respond to multiple things you said, Lad... without getting another 2 page response...

If you want to know what I would say to my boss... I would say... we all know this is grossly overblown... however, given the political climate, the RISK TO THE ORGANIZATION is to even appear to downplay it and then have something happen, even if it is really unrelated to what we said or did.... because as we all know, there are lots of stupid people in this world and even more people just looking for someone to blame for something/an angle. Therefore, DESPITE the facts and truth and science and numbers, we should focus on the risks, not the reality. It's sort of the 'assume the gun is loaded' standard of care... Scientifically, if you've verified that the gun is unloaded, you are fine... but it is a 'best practice' (because the risk is so high) to act like it is loaded anyway (in terms of handling).

As to 'hard science' being necessary in these situations... I disagree greatly. Hard science would tell you that if you don't have a complicating issue yourself or someone close to you... you'll be fine. Hard science would also tell you that 50,000 US deaths is a rounding error and consistent with many other health issues. Consider though that at least half of the fight over 'gun control' deals with rifles, including assault rifles and 'machine guns' which in total are responsible for fewer than 500 deaths a year.... whether gang related, suicide, murder, mass shooting or accident.

But more to the point... If Hard Science is so important, why were you so insistent that people 'not even allow into the conversation' a scientific possibility and that we should default to something that wasn't scientifically proven? That there IS no seasonality? The answer to that question relates to my initial response above.

I assume that this is a relatively well-informed, non-reactionary group of people on this forum. A few who have expressed a limited concern I know for a fact are not that way... If this were my facebook, I would be careful not to give the real facts to people and instead, like my advice to my boss, focus on the risks.

Given who the CDC et al are and what they do... I feel EXTREMELY confident that this is exactly what they are doing... focusing on the risks and knowing that the average American is a reactionary moron and/or opportunist.

Do I understand this correctly that you think the current response, globally, is overblown?

Can you tell me what the difference in hospitalization rates is between the flu and COVID-19? Because my understanding is that this is the elephant in the room - that COVID-19, as compared to the flu, is requiring significantly more hospitalizations per case, and therefore, is a risk to stress our hospital systems.

And I was insistent, as you put it, because no one was bringing actual hard, field data about COVID-19 into the conversation, when trying to discuss the severity of the virus. Had the conversation included these study results, it becomes a much more powerful, and relevant, line of conversation. I never said there was no seasonality, but rather that, at the time, there wasn't evidence of seasonality with COVID-19, so it shouldn't be part of the conversation, as it was a false premise. It wasn't like the conversation focused on studying whether or not we would expect to see seasonality.

I get that there was a logical connector to the idea of seasonality, but it seems misguided to actually discuss the ramifications from a reduction in cases due to seasonality, when there is no hard evidence we will experience that. But to each their own.

RE: Coronoavirus Covid-19 thread - tanqtonic - 03-16-2020 01:38 PM

(03-16-2020 11:30 AM)RiceLad15 Wrote:  
(03-16-2020 11:13 AM)tanqtonic Wrote:  So, with regards to the previous semantic thrash-fest re: heat and humidity:

That's good to see! Hard science is necessary in these situations - making broad assumptions without them can lead to serious consequences. Hopefully further information will back this up, allowing us to reduce the spread and be better prepared for the onset of colder weather at the end of the year.

And sometimes assumptions or speculation based on certain pertinent facts are also accurate, Lad. Funny that.