CSNbbs
Coronoavirus Covid-19 thread - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: Members (/forum-401.html)
+----- Forum: Rice (/forum-444.html)
+------ Forum: Kent Rowald Memorial Quad (/forum-660.html)
+------ Thread: Coronoavirus Covid-19 thread (/thread-895134.html)

RE: Coronoavirus Covid-19 thread - OptimisticOwl - 03-12-2020 10:45 AM

(03-12-2020 10:39 AM)mrbig Wrote:  
(03-12-2020 10:23 AM)OptimisticOwl Wrote:  I am suspicious when consistently antiTrump sources tell me his leadership is poor.

The market futures here literally dropped 1600 points in the immediate aftermath of his speech. Global markets fell as well at the same time. You don't have to listen to Don Lemon or Lad or me or Cryin' Chuck or Sloe Gin Joe or anyone else.

But three weeks ago, those only affected the rich. what changed?

RE: Coronoavirus Covid-19 thread - mrbig - 03-12-2020 10:48 AM

(03-12-2020 10:27 AM)RiceLad15 Wrote:  Ah yes, the cutting of the US Pandemic Response Team is obtuse to a conversation about :checks notes: a US pandemic response.

Impressive argument.

Why are we bothering? Really, are any of you conservatives getting anything out of your interactions with the non-conservatives?

I started this thread 2 weeks ago when there were about 50 total cases in the US (I think that number includes people that were still on the cruise ship in California at the time). Now we are at 2,323. Two weeks ago the NBA was chugging along and people were excited for March Madness. Now one is suspended and the other is going to be without live spectators (with still a chance it gets suspended or cancelled). Universities across the country have announced an end to in-person classes. **** is hitting the fan right now and it is a lot of **** and it is hitting the fan really fast.

So I ask again, are you really getting anything out of these interactions?

RE: Coronoavirus Covid-19 thread - Frizzy Owl - 03-12-2020 10:52 AM

(03-12-2020 10:33 AM)OptimisticOwl Wrote:  
(03-12-2020 10:30 AM)RiceLad15 Wrote:  
(03-12-2020 10:21 AM)Frizzy Owl Wrote:  
(03-12-2020 10:18 AM)RiceLad15 Wrote:  
(03-12-2020 09:56 AM)Frizzy Owl Wrote:  First of all, the "federal government", broadly and not just where the buck stops, is a large organization that is already doing what it does behind the scenes in its work with state and local governments. The leadership, guidance, and support is already there, functioning automatically, and doesn't depend on what Trump says in a speech. If you think that because Trump hasn't spoken, federal agencies are doing nothing, then you've got a huge misimpression of how government works. The Presidency could be vacant and these agencies would be functioning.

Second, we've been getting plenty of advice. I don't think anyone needs Trump to tell them to wash their hands and avoid sick people. We've already heard that.

ETA: To put it another way: do you want Trump actively intervening in what is happening at the state and local level? Be careful what you wish for.
No, to put it another way, I want the federal government to clearly, and concisely express, and show through action, that they are doing what is in their powers to mobilize support for the state and local practitioners.
WTF does this even mean? What would "mobilized support" look like?

For starters, we could be deploying military doctors and the Army Corp to expand our hospital capabilities in targeted areas to make sure our ICU's have sufficient capacity to deal with normal medical cases AND COVID-19 cases.

We could have pushed sooner to develop more test kits, so that states could request sufficient funds to meet their testing goals.

MASH 4077?

I guess that's what he means by expand hospital capabilities.

Military bases, like the ones being used for quarantining returning travelers, already have hospitals, but you can't see those from the road.

Setting up tents next to hospitals wouldn't really accomplish anything that couldn't be accomplished better at a base hospital, but it would show the feds are "doing something".

RE: Coronoavirus Covid-19 thread - mrbig - 03-12-2020 10:54 AM

(03-12-2020 10:31 AM)Frizzy Owl Wrote:  
(03-12-2020 10:23 AM)mrbig Wrote:  That would go a long way to helping in my office, as I saw people shaking hands yesterday when they were greeting each other.

The one thing I wanted to hear from Trump yesterday was that the coronavirus outbreak response is the #1 priority for the federal government and that he will make any and all resources available based on what the scientific and medical experts tell him are needed to contain the spread of the virus. I didn't quite hear that.

Oh, you want reassuring memos and speeches with the usual platitudes, and restatements of the obvious. Yeah, we differ on that. Those don't do much for me.

But that's the thing. This is a global pandemic and we are just hitting the steep part of the exponential growth curve for cases in the USA. What matters to you or helps you specifically doesn't matter. I don't need that kind of leadership on a personal level. We need leadership that does things to help the situation across the country. So its great that you don't need that kind of leadership, but a lot of people do actually need it.

Because if other people don't get that kind of leadership, they are going to do stupid things like go to church on Sunday and spread the peace by shaking 50 hands while there. Then one of those hand-shakers will walk into your work space next week when they are asymptomatic but infected and leave the germs from their unwashed hands all over your work space. And then 5 days later you'll be here posting that you are infected but saying that there is nothing the federal government could have done to help. When in reality if the leadership in that office had stressed to his employees that they should stop shaking hands, wash their hands more, and avoid large gatherings like church, then maybe you would have been just fine.

RE: Coronoavirus Covid-19 thread - RiceLad15 - 03-12-2020 10:55 AM

(03-12-2020 10:44 AM)OptimisticOwl Wrote:  
(03-12-2020 10:33 AM)RiceLad15 Wrote:  
(03-12-2020 10:23 AM)mrbig Wrote:  
(03-12-2020 09:56 AM)Frizzy Owl Wrote:  First of all, the "federal government", broadly and not just where the buck stops, is a large organization that is already doing what it does behind the scenes in its work with state and local governments. The leadership, guidance, and support is already there, functioning automatically, and doesn't depend on what Trump says in a speech. If you think that because Trump hasn't spoken, federal agencies are doing nothing, then you've got a huge misimpression of how government works. The Presidency could be vacant and these agencies would be functioning.

Thank you for mansplaining (to another man) how the federal government works. Now I understand!02-13-bananaCOGS

Speaking seriously, I have serious disagreements with your assessment. Leadership in the federal government is extremely important. The leadership team in my office hasn't said a peep to us minions yet. I think an email from the leadership team would be very helpful. Something like:
Quote:The coronoavirus outbreak in the United States and in the New Orleans area is very important. We are actively monitoring what local governments, schools, and the Court are doing so we can act in conjunction with them.

For now, please try to avoid large gatherings of people. While it is very common to shake hands and even hug in New Orleans, please refrain from doing so. Wash your hands frequently and pay attention to guidance from the CDC.

Our office is instituting a liberal leave policy similar to what we do when a possible hurricane is threatening the area. If you feel sick, stay home. If you have a sick family member, stay home. If you know you have been in recent contact with someone who is sick, stay home. If you stay home, communicate with your immediate supervisor and co-workers about any work that needs to be addressed.

We will continue to provide updates every few days as developments continue to unfold.

That would go a long way to helping in my office, as I saw people shaking hands yesterday when they were greeting each other.

The one thing I wanted to hear from Trump yesterday was that the coronavirus outbreak response is the #1 priority for the federal government and that he will make any and all resources available based on what the scientific and medical experts tell him are needed to contain the spread of the virus. I didn't quite hear that.

Oh, you want reassuring memos and speeches with the usual platitudes, and restatements of the obvious. Yeah, we differ on that. Those don't do much for me.

But they actually do affect people. Out of a country 300+ Million, the POTUS' words will impact a percentage of them - especially those that value what Trump says, and not the rest of the government.

Yes they do. But when trump was saying reassuring things to the country, the left was calling him a liar. How reassuring do you think that was?

Look, when the lights come on and the theater manager goes to the front of the stage to tell us there is no reason for panic, please just move calmly and in an orderly fashion to the exits, last thing I need is somebody screeching "He's a liar!!!".

Maybe he is lying. maybe there really is good reason to panic and push and shove one's way out. But going to the front and telling everybody to panic still is not a good thing.

But that is exactly the situation we had and still have. Nothing he says or does will be met with approval, even if it is the exact thing yall called for 10 minutes ago. Yall are married to the idea that everything he says is a lie.

Time to join ranks, not to be divisive.

Did you read the NRO article?

The issue Trump has is he hasn't found a way to lead, or tell the truth (whether intentionally or not). Both of those are bad traits to have when there is a serious issue pressing the entire nation.

RE: Coronoavirus Covid-19 thread - Frizzy Owl - 03-12-2020 10:56 AM

(03-12-2020 10:48 AM)mrbig Wrote:  
(03-12-2020 10:27 AM)RiceLad15 Wrote:  Ah yes, the cutting of the US Pandemic Response Team is obtuse to a conversation about :checks notes: a US pandemic response.

Impressive argument.

Why are we bothering? Really, are any of you conservatives getting anything out of your interactions with the non-conservatives?

I started this thread 2 weeks ago when there were about 50 total cases in the US (I think that number includes people that were still on the cruise ship in California at the time). Now we are at 2,323. Two weeks ago the NBA was chugging along and people were excited for March Madness. Now one is suspended and the other is going to be without live spectators (with still a chance it gets suspended or cancelled). Universities across the country have announced an end to in-person classes. **** is hitting the fan right now and it is a lot[/] for **** and it is hitting the fan [b]really fast.

Yes, actually. You've confirmed from me that the political angle is always important, even in a real emergency - style always matters more than substance. You've always got to give them the old razzle-dazzle.

RE: Coronoavirus Covid-19 thread - RiceLad15 - 03-12-2020 10:59 AM

(03-12-2020 10:56 AM)Frizzy Owl Wrote:  

Impressive argument.

I started this thread 2 weeks ago when there were about 50 total cases in the US (I think that number includes people that were still on the cruise ship in California at the time). Now we are at 2,323. Two weeks ago the NBA was chugging along and people were excited for March Madness. Now one is suspended and the other is going to be without live spectators (with still a chance it gets suspended or cancelled). Universities across the country have announced an end to in-person classes. **** is hitting the fan right now and it is a lot[/] for **** and it is hitting the fan [b]really fast.

Yes, actually. You've confirmed from me that the political angle is always important, even in a real emergency - style always matters more than substance. You've always got to give them the old razzle-dazzle.

So do I understand that your opinion is that our federal response has been tip-top and exactly what we should have done/are doing?

RE: Coronoavirus Covid-19 thread - OptimisticOwl - 03-12-2020 11:00 AM

(03-12-2020 10:55 AM)RiceLad15 Wrote:  
(03-12-2020 10:23 AM)mrbig Wrote:  Thank you for mansplaining (to another man) how the federal government works. Now I understand!02-13-bananaCOGS

Speaking seriously, I have serious disagreements with your assessment. Leadership in the federal government is extremely important. The leadership team in my office hasn't said a peep to us minions yet. I think an email from the leadership team would be very helpful. Something like:

That would go a long way to helping in my office, as I saw people shaking hands yesterday when they were greeting each other.

But they actually do affect people. Out of a country 300+ Million, the POTUS' words will impact a percentage of them - especially those that value what Trump says, and not the rest of the government.

Yes they do. But when trump was saying reassuring things to the country, the left was calling him a liar. How reassuring do you think that was?

Look, when the lights come on and the theater manager goes to the front of the stage to tell us there is no reason for panic, please just move calmly and in an orderly fashion to the exits, last thing I need is somebody screeching "He's a liar!!!".

Maybe he is lying. maybe there really is good reason to panic and push and shove one's way out. But going to the front and telling everybody to panic still is not a good thing.

But that is exactly the situation we had and still have. Nothing he says or does will be met with approval, even if it is the exact thing yall called for 10 minutes ago. Yall are married to the idea that everything he says is a lie.

The issue Trump has is he hasn't found a way to lead, or tell the truth (whether intentionally or not). Both of those are bad traits to have when there is a serious issue pressing the entire nation.

I think somebody needs to listen to a larger variety of sources.

But maybe you have the sources to support the bolded, and can quote them. I am sure they will be unbiased.

RE: Coronoavirus Covid-19 thread - mrbig - 03-12-2020 11:02 AM

(03-12-2020 10:45 AM)OptimisticOwl Wrote:  
(03-12-2020 10:39 AM)mrbig Wrote:  
(03-12-2020 10:23 AM)OptimisticOwl Wrote:  I am suspicious when consistently antiTrump sources tell me his leadership is poor.

The market futures here literally dropped 1600 points in the immediate aftermath of his speech. Global markets fell as well at the same time. You don't have to listen to Don Lemon or Lad or me or Cryin' Chuck or Sloe Gin Joe or anyone else.

But three weeks ago, those only affected the rich. what changed?

Ahh yes, love that you completely avoid the point of my answer and pivot. Actually, I don't love it at all. My point is you don't have to listen to the libs on this one. You can listen to conservatives at the National Review or investors & businesses as reflected in the stock market. Just ignore Don Lemon and you can still get the same answer.

As to the market drop, they affect others when places start going bankrupt or have layoffs or when they are reflective of something happening beyond just the stock market (like the global economy largely grinding to a hault).

RE: Coronoavirus Covid-19 thread - Frizzy Owl - 03-12-2020 11:02 AM

(03-12-2020 10:59 AM)RiceLad15 Wrote:  
(03-12-2020 10:56 AM)Frizzy Owl Wrote:  

Impressive argument.

So do I understand that your opinion is that our federal response has been tip-top and exactly what we should have done/are doing?

No. But you've made it clear that you care less about what is being done than that it be done visibly and with reassuring speeches. Putting hospital tents next to hospitals that don't even need the extra space yet - very visible, very reassuring, but objectively actually accomplishes less than doing nothing. An office of pandemic response - it doesn't need to have an actual role that isn't redundant with existing capabilities, the details of what if anything it actually does doesn't matter, what's important is its impressive title.

RE: Coronoavirus Covid-19 thread - mrbig - 03-12-2020 11:08 AM

(03-12-2020 10:56 AM)Frizzy Owl Wrote:  Yes, actually. You've confirmed from me that the political angle is always important, even in a real emergency - style always matters more than substance. You've always got to give them the old razzle-dazzle.

Actually, it is the opposite. I don't need or want razzle-dazzle. I want honest competency. The only reason there is a political angle right now is because Trump made certain budgetary and personnel decisions that seem to have weakened the federal government's capability to identify and react to a potential pandemic and now he hasn't provided the kind of honest competent leadership needed in a time of crisis.

Post 9/11, George W Bush wasn't razzly or dazzly but he was honest and competent. On the flip side of that coin, post-Katrina he wasn't razzly or dazzly but he also wasn't competent. Both responses had a "political angle" because when a politician does a good or bad job on something, the "political angle" is how everyone decides if that person should continue in their job. If I am not competent in a time of crisis, my boss just fires me. But that can't happen with politicians so there is a "political angle".

RE: Coronoavirus Covid-19 thread - RiceLad15 - 03-12-2020 11:10 AM

(03-12-2020 11:00 AM)OptimisticOwl Wrote:  
(03-12-2020 10:55 AM)RiceLad15 Wrote:  
(03-12-2020 10:31 AM)Frizzy Owl Wrote:  Oh, you want reassuring memos and speeches with the usual platitudes, and restatements of the obvious. Yeah, we differ on that. Those don't do much for me.

I think somebody needs to listen to a larger variety of sources.

But maybe you have the sources to support the bolded, and can quote them. I am sure they will be unbiased.

Yes, the POTUS' words are not gospel. But are you trying to justify why the POTUS, in a time of a pandemic, shouldn't be held to a standard in which he doesn't lie about his own policies that are going into effect tomorrow?

RE: Coronoavirus Covid-19 thread - Frizzy Owl - 03-12-2020 11:28 AM

(03-12-2020 11:08 AM)mrbig Wrote:  
(03-12-2020 10:56 AM)Frizzy Owl Wrote:  Yes, actually. You've confirmed from me that the political angle is always important, even in a real emergency - style always matters more than substance. You've always got to give them the old razzle-dazzle.

Actually, it is the opposite. I don't need or want razzle-dazzle. I want honest competency. The only reason there is a political angle right now is because Trump made certain budgetary and personnel decisions that seem to have weakened the federal government's capability to identify and react to a potential pandemic and now he hasn't provided the kind of honest competent leadership needed in a time of crisis.

Post 9/11, George W Bush wasn't razzly or dazzly but he was honest and competent. On the flip side of that coin, post-Katrina he wasn't razzly or dazzly but he also wasn't competent. Both responses had a "political angle" because when a politician does a good or bad job on something, the "political angle" is how everyone decides if that person should continue in their job. If I am not competent in a time of crisis, my boss just fires me. But that can't happen with politicians so there is a "political angle".

Again, that's were you and I differ. I care more about leadership results than leadership appearances. GW was very Presidential and all, but then gave us Afghanistan.

You gave me the graphical evidence that the U.S. is doing as well as any other country in handling coronavirus, and even better than some countries being praised for their style points. But then you abandon the data in favor of faulting the leadership.

In what I do for a living, so it's now second nature, the results and data always trump the presentation, in the end.

RE: Coronoavirus Covid-19 thread - RiceLad15 - 03-12-2020 11:37 AM

(03-12-2020 11:28 AM)Frizzy Owl Wrote:  

Again, that's were you and I differ. I care more about leadership results than leadership appearances. GW was very Presidential and all, but then gave us Afghanistan.

You gave me the graphical evidence that the U.S. is doing as well as any other country in handling coronavirus, and even better than some countries being praised for their style points. But then you abandon the data in favor of faulting the leadership.

In what I do for a living, so it's now second nature, the results and data always trump the presentation, in the end.

What is the Trump admin doing that makes you think we'll be peers with countries who have either had COVID-19 under control from the start, or recently appear to have gotten it under control?

I posted an interesting article from WIRED earlier about the steps Singapore has taken to protect their citizens, and we are not in the same ballpark in any part of the country.

RE: Coronoavirus Covid-19 thread - Hambone10 - 03-12-2020 11:40 AM

(03-12-2020 09:17 AM)mrbig Wrote:  I basically reacted like the market reacted ... a 1600-point drop in US stock futures in the immediate aftermath of Trump's speech says a lot about the confidence in his leadership ability during this crisis.m like this, he looks like a hostage reading a script to his family back home.

Does it? Couldn't the reaction be to the fact that he's put the EU on some pretty serious lockdown?

Not all leadership in pandemics is necessarily good for the global economy.

Now if you'd like to take issue with that plan, I understand... but most of the left has been saying some variation of 'putting the stock market ahead of people is bad'.

RE: Coronoavirus Covid-19 thread - Frizzy Owl - 03-12-2020 11:42 AM

(03-12-2020 11:37 AM)RiceLad15 Wrote:  

What is the Trump admin doing that makes you think we'll be peers with countries who have either had COVID-19 under control from the start, or recently appear to have gotten it under control?

I posted an interesting article from WIRED earlier about the steps Singapore has taken to protect their citizens, and we are not in the same ballpark in any part of the country.

I look at the data, not at what some suit is doing for appearance sake.

Comparisons to Singapore aren't helpful. That's very much apples to oranges. Singapore is an authoritarian (yes I know they are technically a constitutional republic so please don't stall by parsing that - we both know what I mean) city-state.

RE: Coronoavirus Covid-19 thread - mrbig - 03-12-2020 11:48 AM

(03-12-2020 09:59 AM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  And at times like this I think the best thing the federal government can do is GTFO of the way and stop putting up roadblocks. The attitude from the left has been, "OMG he cut the CDC budget and without the CDC we are powerless to do anything about it."

That's why I've been asking exactly WTF does the CDC actually DO? My impression is that they are an administrative agency rather than a doing agency. Kind of analogous to FEMA.

Why do you keep asking us instead of just reading the CDC website yourself? You want to know what specifically CDC has been doing regarding Covid-19? They have a couple webpages where they do that. You want to know what CDC was doing in China pre-outbreak? They have one primary webpage for that, but others that also mention China. Or read a page on what they do generally that isn't China-specific of coronoavirus-specific. There are many such pages!

You want some light reading? Try this article - A ten-year China-US laboratory collaboration: improving response to influenza threats in China and the world 2004-2014.

(03-12-2020 09:59 AM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  If Trump caused this by cutting headcount at CDC, exactly what would those people have done if they were still there? Go to China to study up close and personal? Nope, China wouldn't allow it. Shuffle some papers and compile some statistics? Probably.

I have pointed this out repeatedly. Repeatedly. So now I will shout to make sure you can hear me. THE UNITED STATES CDC WAS ALREADY OPERATING A GLOBAL DISEASE DETECTION PROGRAM IN CHINA AND HAS BEEN DOING SO FOR MORE THAN 10 YEARS! THE UNITED STATES CDC AND CHINA HAVE BEEN WORKING UP CLOSE AND PERSONAL FOR YEARS!

From A ten-year China-US laboratory collaboration: improving response to influenza threats in China and the world 2004-2014 in case people are too damn lazy to click the link and read the thing themselves:
Quote:From 2004 to 2014, 15 CNIC staff received training in CDC Atlanta, from one month to 1.5 years in length, on topics including influenza surveillance and laboratory management, reverse genetic techniques, serological techniques, pathology, antigenicity characterization, and drug resistance surveillance. CNIC provided lecture-based training to 2320 staff from network laboratories and sentinel hospitals, and hands-on training to 450 lab specialists on cell culture, virus isolation, and serology testing and gene sequence analysis with USCDC support.
Quote:China also expanded its ILI and virological surveillance network. In 2005, the network increased from 8 to 63 network laboratories and 31 to 197 sentinel hospitals, primarily supported with funds from the Chinese government, with supplemental project-based financial support from USCDC and WHO.
Quote:During the early stages of the 2009 H1N1 pandemic, USCDC and China CDC established routine conference calls between directors and experts of the two centers. USCDC shared the genetic sequence of the pandemic virus with CNIC, allowing CNIC to rapidly develop nucleic acid detection kits which were transported to national influenza network laboratories and other laboratories across the country. The availability of testing reagents ensured accurate estimates of the magnitude of the pandemic in China and allowed the Chinese government to coordinate an appropriate response. In addition, the USCDC country team in Beijing worked closely with China CDC experts on pandemic risk assessment and response.

There is plenty more available if you want to go look for it. Having random Parlimentarians describe it to you can't do it justice.

RE: Coronoavirus Covid-19 thread - Hambone10 - 03-12-2020 11:49 AM

(03-12-2020 11:37 AM)RiceLad15 Wrote:  What is the Trump admin doing that makes you think we'll be peers with countries who have either had COVID-19 under control from the start, or recently appear to have gotten it under control?

How about the fact that we're a very large and very open nation... with significant physical ties to the epicenter of the disease... and yet despite that, we're still way on the low end of infections

and when you read the Wired article about Singapore, they talk about things they started doing after SARS in 2009.....

Trump wasn't President then. Singapore strengthened their borders/travel restrictions and their healthcare infrastructure... the US did not... We opened our borders and increased healthcare 'insurance and demand'.

I'm not placing blame... but I find it odd that the evidence that the government in 2020 has failed is that our government from 2009 to 2019 didn't follow the lead of these other places... and in fact, arguably went the other direction

RE: Coronoavirus Covid-19 thread - RiceLad15 - 03-12-2020 11:57 AM

(03-12-2020 11:42 AM)Frizzy Owl Wrote:  
(03-12-2020 11:37 AM)RiceLad15 Wrote:  

I look at the data, not at what some suit is doing for appearance sake.

Comparisons to Singapore aren't helpful. That's very much apples to oranges. Singapore is an authoritarian (yes I know they are technically a constitutional republic so please don't stall by parsing that - we both know what I mean) city-state.

Looking at Singapore is helpful because we can learn from their successes. Regardless of the overall authoritarian nature of their country, if they are implementing practices that are workable here, who gives a **** if they came from an authoritarian country.

Some practices include taking temperatures for pre-diagnosis, providing publicly disseminated information about personal management of the virus, and wide spread testing.

There's no reason state/fed governments couldn't be implementing those activities, regardless of whether or not an authoritarian nation was also implementing them.

RE: Coronoavirus Covid-19 thread - Owl 69/70/75 - 03-12-2020 11:58 AM

I'm not willing to go with competent after 9/11. I really was not impressed with our response. We obliterated a bunch of civil liberties with the patRIOT act, for things that were not necessary to have prevented 9/11. We went into Afghanistan not to win but to occupy territory. And it went off the rails when we went into Iraq before bin Laden and Mullah Omar were dead. Go in, kill them, kill as many of their henchmen as possible, break anything they might use, GTFO, and stay TFO--after making sure that whoever is left in charge knows that we will be back to kill them if they don't fly right.

And I'm still not convinced of incompetent with respect to Katrina. Most of the criticisms I have heard were because of things that either weren't possible or weren't within the powers of the presidency to do. The biggest mistake was "shelter in place" and that was Blanco's call. I still think I would have federalized the Louisiana National Guard and directed them to get everybody out of town, but that would have been politically risky at best. OMG, the cries of "Bush dictator" would have sounded like what the left screams about Trump every time he scratches his ass. But that's about the only thing I'm aware of that would have mattered. I understand there was this great hue and cry when FEMA did not come in like a cavalry charge frame old western movie and fix everything on the spot. But that's not FEMA's job. What they are tasked with doing, they did about as well as can reasonably be expected. People who have never done disaster relief have no concept of how hard it is. And when the state and local governments areas ill prepared as Louisiana and New Orleans were (or Puerto Rico and San Juan, later), disaster is guaranteed.

OK, I try not to criticize without offering a solution. The problem is that we have no agency with the resources to address emergencies like Katrina. FEMA has sometime like 200 employees and no real physical resources. What I would do is transform the National Guard from a back-up army reserve to a civil defense and emergency response team. Enlarge the army reserve to accommodate those who really want to be soldiers. Give the NG backhoes and bulldozers instead of tanks, have them train on disaster response instead of war games, tailor their manning, equipment, and training to the disasters expected in an area (earthquakes and fires in California, hurricanes on the Gulf Coast, tornadoes in the midwest), and do like the Coast Guard and give every E-5 and above powers of a federal marshal when activated in an emergency.