CSNbbs
Coronoavirus Covid-19 thread - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: Members (/forum-401.html)
+----- Forum: Rice (/forum-444.html)
+------ Forum: Kent Rowald Memorial Quad (/forum-660.html)
+------ Thread: Coronoavirus Covid-19 thread (/thread-895134.html)

RE: Coronoavirus Virus thread (we're all gonna die!) - mrbig - 03-11-2020 09:46 AM

(03-11-2020 07:50 AM)OptimisticOwl Wrote:  
(03-10-2020 05:10 PM)mrbig Wrote:  
(03-10-2020 04:48 PM)tanqtonic Wrote:  For the person at the core of 'show me objective proof', you now propose taking the objective prose and subjectively dismissing them after reading them with 'large grains of salt'.

Perhaps you should signify when you deign items sufficient for objective assessment in your own subjective mindset.

Your somewhat constant flip flop between 'show me facts' and later comments on 'dont read the words, parse them subjectively' is making me seriously motion-sick.

03-yawn03-yawn03-yawn

Dude, a lot of my "show me the facts" posts were aimed at OO. He and I already clarified that a lot of the times I asked him for citations/proof, he was merely stating his opinion. Problem solved. And the only point I was making, as you acknowledge, is that the prose in these budget justifications is objective.

I'm not dismissing anything, just noting that they need to be placed in context. The context is that this isn't the CDC justifying a budget request that it developed internally. It is the CDC justifying a budget request that was handed to it by the President (and his staff). This is true for all budgets and perhaps some Presidents (and their staffs) work with the various agencies to come up with efficient budget requests. Maybe Trump did this, I don't know or care. I'm merely pointing out that the budget justifications aren't a forum where the CDC is going to say whether it is getting too much money in some areas and not enough in others. All they are going to do is find a way to justify the request that they were handed. These justifications are not the forum to beg for more money or new programs. These justifications are not the forum to say that some programs are overfunded or unnecessary. So as long as the justifications are read with that framing in mind, do what you want with it. You have my permission.

You can't say "aimed". We learned that after the Giffords shooting. What if some nut read that and came and shot me? that is why we need a six year waiting period.

Enjoying the banter, Big?

Why would Frizzy shoot you?

I'm not really enjoying the banter on this one. People are going to start dieing pretty soon in larger numbers and you all are still thumping your chests and demanding that we prove how bad Trump's response is. Just look around next week, my friend, and you won't need my elegant prose to explain it.

RE: Coronoavirus Virus thread (we're all gonna die!) - Frizzy Owl - 03-11-2020 09:50 AM

(03-11-2020 09:42 AM)RiceLad15 Wrote:  I wouldn't call it misleading, as much as I would call it confusing. Misleading implies intention, which I don't think is there.

Then you're walking around blind without a cane.

You initially took the graph to mean exactly what the creator of the graph was implying - that the United States has had longer to react than S. Korea., and is accomplishing less.

From the raw data it's very clear that the opposite is true.

RE: Coronoavirus Virus thread (we're all gonna die!) - mrbig - 03-11-2020 09:51 AM

(03-11-2020 08:16 AM)OptimisticOwl Wrote:  There have been arguments about budget cuts to the CDC. I guess the Democratic attitude is that no budgets should ever be cut, in any agency, for any reason, just in case. Sounds pretty Democratic to me.

Hey bucko, read my posts again. That hasn't been my argument at all. Many democrats and public health experts expressed concern about these budget cuts 2 years ago when they were proposed. You are much more obsessed with orange man then me, just like you are much more obsessed with Bernie and AOC than me. I cast blame where the responsibility lies (in my opinion). If that is at the white feet of a mostly-orange man, so be it.

RE: Coronoavirus Virus thread (we're all gonna die!) - mrbig - 03-11-2020 09:52 AM

(03-11-2020 09:50 AM)Frizzy Owl Wrote:  From the raw data it's very clear that the opposite is true.

Actually, the graph combined with the number of tests the US has run tells us that there area lot of untested people walking around with the coronavirus in this country that have not received a positive diagnosis yet.

RE: Coronoavirus Virus thread (we're all gonna die!) - mrbig - 03-11-2020 09:55 AM

(03-11-2020 08:16 AM)OptimisticOwl Wrote:  So to recap
1. This has to become bad first.
2. If it does, yall need to show me that we could have stopped it
3. If 1 and 2 are satisfied, you need to show me that Trump is at fault.

1 - it is already bad. 90% of the iceberg remains undiagnosed (i mean under water).
2 - you will not accept anything we say as proof.
3 - you will not accept anything we say as proof.

Really, you tell us what you would find acceptable to prove #2 and #3 and we will see if it comes to pass.

RE: Coronoavirus Virus thread (we're all gonna die!) - mrbig - 03-11-2020 09:58 AM

(03-11-2020 02:05 AM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  My reason for not criticizing Trump's handling of the situation is that I'm not aware of anything that he has done--or not done--to cause a problem.

(03-11-2020 07:18 AM)Frizzy Owl Wrote:  BTW, have you actually connected Trump to the testing rates? What's the President's responsibility there?

As I suspected, "The Buck Stops No Where!" is the response.

I agree with most of what Lad wrote in response to my question. We needed Presidential leadership 1-2 months ago. Not Trump telling us it would be gone soon when there were only 15 confirmed cases (but we were testing very few people). Not Trump telling us everything was under control when there were like 25-30 confirmed cases. We needed a leader willing to make hard decisions that were not politically convenient in the moment. If it was the CDC's fault for the testing issues, we needed a President who recognized what was going on and told the CDC to get over themselves and to use the WHO test that South Korea was using tens-of-thousands per day. We needed a President who listened to the scientists and experts. We needed a President who could lead an international response as well as lead a cohesive state response. We needed a President who didn't spend a critical weekend playing golf with Washington Nationals players and dining with Bolsinaro. We needed a leader whose advisers felt confident enough in their positions to tell him hard truths, even if he didn't want to hear them.

RE: Coronoavirus Virus thread (we're all gonna die!) - Frizzy Owl - 03-11-2020 09:59 AM

(03-11-2020 09:52 AM)mrbig Wrote:  
(03-11-2020 09:50 AM)Frizzy Owl Wrote:  From the raw data it's very clear that the opposite is true.

Actually, the graph combined with the number of tests the US has run tells us that there area lot of untested people walking around with the coronavirus in this country that have not received a positive diagnosis yet.

Does it? Now who's making assumptions?

The graph includes all measures being used to contain the virus including the genuinely effective ones, not just S. Korea's shotgun testing approach.

RE: Coronoavirus Virus thread (we're all gonna die!) - Frizzy Owl - 03-11-2020 10:01 AM

(03-11-2020 09:55 AM)mrbig Wrote:  
(03-11-2020 08:16 AM)OptimisticOwl Wrote:  So to recap
1. This has to become bad first.
2. If it does, yall need to show me that we could have stopped it
3. If 1 and 2 are satisfied, you need to show me that Trump is at fault.

1 - it is already bad. 90% of the iceberg remains undiagnosed (i mean under water).
2 - you will not accept anything we say as proof.
3 - you will not accept anything we say as proof.

Really, you tell us what you would find acceptable to prove #2 and #3 and we will see if it comes to pass.

How about some actual facts that show causation? "Trump is a bad leader, and we have coronavirus, so it's Trump's fault" is not a valid argument.

RE: Coronoavirus Virus thread (we're all gonna die!) - OptimisticOwl - 03-11-2020 10:01 AM

(03-11-2020 09:46 AM)mrbig Wrote:  
(03-10-2020 05:10 PM)mrbig Wrote:  
(03-10-2020 04:48 PM)tanqtonic Wrote:  For the person at the core of 'show me objective proof', you now propose taking the objective prose and subjectively dismissing them after reading them with 'large grains of salt'.

Perhaps you should signify when you deign items sufficient for objective assessment in your own subjective mindset.

Your somewhat constant flip flop between 'show me facts' and later comments on 'dont read the words, parse them subjectively' is making me seriously motion-sick.

03-yawn03-yawn03-yawn

Dude, a lot of my "show me the facts" posts were aimed at OO. He and I already clarified that a lot of the times I asked him for citations/proof, he was merely stating his opinion. Problem solved. And the only point I was making, as you acknowledge, is that the prose in these budget justifications is objective.

I'm not dismissing anything, just noting that they need to be placed in context. The context is that this isn't the CDC justifying a budget request that it developed internally. It is the CDC justifying a budget request that was handed to it by the President (and his staff). This is true for all budgets and perhaps some Presidents (and their staffs) work with the various agencies to come up with efficient budget requests. Maybe Trump did this, I don't know or care. I'm merely pointing out that the budget justifications aren't a forum where the CDC is going to say whether it is getting too much money in some areas and not enough in others. All they are going to do is find a way to justify the request that they were handed. These justifications are not the forum to beg for more money or new programs. These justifications are not the forum to say that some programs are overfunded or unnecessary. So as long as the justifications are read with that framing in mind, do what you want with it. You have my permission.

You can't say "aimed". We learned that after the Giffords shooting. What if some nut read that and came and shot me? that is why we need a six year waiting period.

I'm not really enjoying the banter on this one. People are going to start dieing pretty soon in larger numbers and you all are still thumping your chests and demanding that we prove how bad Trump's response is. Just look around next week, my friend, and you won't need my elegant prose to explain it.

Frizzy? Not Frizzy. YOU.

YOU were the one who said "aimed at OO". I was just referencing the brouhaha after the Giffords shooting when many democrats said the shooting was the result of Republican using bull's-eyes n a map or using words like 'aim", "target", etc., on the grounds that it was inflammatory language. I thought it was silly then, so I made a comment in jest about your usage of 'aimed'.

I see little banter too, but what I do see is whooshing right over your head. Tanq made a joke of my inadvertant use of red and wing in juxtzposition.

I guess we had better stop trying to use humor if you are involved.

That is of course my opinion. I cannot present a study that proves it.

People die all the time. I am waiting to see if this will blow over or get worse. You make us sound uncaring. I guess that is what the left thinks of us deplorables.

I guess I am done trying to interject any humor in my interactions with you.

RE: Coronoavirus Virus thread (we're all gonna die!) - mrbig - 03-11-2020 10:01 AM

For fun, I made my own graph of the epidemiologic curves for some of the hottest countries right now. Since they each had their 1st confirmed infections at different times and had different initial spreads, Day 1 on this graph is approximately when each country hit 200 confirmed infections.

[Image: covid19.jpg]

The sources for my data are a combination of:
https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/publications-data/download-todays-data-geographic-distribution-covid-19-cases-worldwide
http://www.cidrap.umn.edu/infectious-disease-topics/covid-19?f%25255B0%25255D=field_related_topics%3A178636&f%255B0%255D=field_related_topics%3A178636#news
https://www.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

RE: Coronoavirus Virus thread (we're all gonna die!) - mrbig - 03-11-2020 10:06 AM

(03-11-2020 10:01 AM)Frizzy Owl Wrote:  How about some actual facts that show causation? "Trump is a bad leader, and we have coronavirus, so it's Trump's fault" is not a valid argument.

So provide me with some examples of facts that, if proven true, you would accept as demonstrating causation. In the past, the conservatives here have not accepted what I thought were pretty compelling facts. You providing me with some examples will me to avoid wasting both of our time.

RE: Coronoavirus Virus thread (we're all gonna die!) - Frizzy Owl - 03-11-2020 10:10 AM

(03-11-2020 10:01 AM)mrbig Wrote:  For fun, I made my own graph of the epidemiologic curves for some of the hottest countries right now. Since they each had their 1st confirmed infections at different times and had different initial spreads, Day 1 on this graph is approximately when each country hit 200 confirmed infections.

https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/publications-data/download-todays-data-geographic-distribution-covid-19-cases-worldwide
http://www.cidrap.umn.edu/infectious-disease-topics/covid-19?f%25255B0%25255D=field_related_topics%3A178636&f%255B0%255D=field_related_topics%3A178636#news
https://www.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

In epidemiology, the rates are more meaningful for comparison than total numbers. Could you normalize the graph by population? The results should prove informative.

RE: Coronoavirus Virus thread (we're all gonna die!) - RiceLad15 - 03-11-2020 10:12 AM

(03-11-2020 09:50 AM)Frizzy Owl Wrote:  
(03-11-2020 09:42 AM)RiceLad15 Wrote:  I wouldn't call it misleading, as much as I would call it confusing. Misleading implies intention, which I don't think is there.

Then you're walking around blind without a cane.

You initially took the graph to mean exactly what the creator of the graph was implying - that the United States has had longer to react than S. Korea., and is accomplishing less.

From the raw data it's very clear that the opposite is true.

I don't see any evidence that the graph's creator implied that. Where do you get that from? I think I personally took it out of their context and used it improperly.

The graph still shows what my main point was - SK is starting to slow the spread of COVID-19.

RE: Coronoavirus Virus thread (we're all gonna die!) - Frizzy Owl - 03-11-2020 10:14 AM

(03-11-2020 10:06 AM)mrbig Wrote:  
(03-11-2020 10:01 AM)Frizzy Owl Wrote:  How about some actual facts that show causation? "Trump is a bad leader, and we have coronavirus, so it's Trump's fault" is not a valid argument.

So provide me with some examples of facts that, if proven true, you would accept as demonstrating causation. In the past, the conservatives here have not accepted what I thought were pretty compelling facts. You providing me with some examples will me to avoid wasting both of our time.

Prove that testing rates inversely correlate with deaths.

Prove that CDC staffing levels in China had anything to do with the timeline of China’s response.

RE: Coronoavirus Virus thread (we're all gonna die!) - mrbig - 03-11-2020 10:18 AM

(03-11-2020 07:43 AM)Frizzy Owl Wrote:  South Korea has seven times as many confirmed cases of coronavirus, and twice as many deaths, as the United States. South Korea's population is an order of magnitude less.

I'm reading about all the wonderful things they are doing, but the results don't match the anecdote.

South Korea's outbreak started much earlier than the US's due in part to their proximity to China. They hit ~1,000 cases on 2/26. The hit 2,000 cases on 2/29. They hit 5,000 cases on 3/4. And they were testing a hell of a lot more people than we are.

RE: Coronoavirus Virus thread (we're all gonna die!) - mrbig - 03-11-2020 10:21 AM

(03-11-2020 10:01 AM)OptimisticOwl Wrote:  
(03-10-2020 05:10 PM)mrbig Wrote:  Dude, a lot of my "show me the facts" posts were aimed at OO.

Frizzy? Not Frizzy. YOU.

YOU were the one who said "aimed at OO". I was just referencing the brouhaha after the Giffords shooting when many democrats said the shooting was the result of Republican using bull's-eyes n a map or using words like 'aim", "target", etc., on the grounds that it was inflammatory language. I thought it was silly then, so I made a comment in jest about your usage of 'aimed'.

Yes, I got it. Just a little counter-banter. But I'm not a nut and my 2 guns are stored with my mom in Alaska and haven't been used since I was in high school (though I cleaned them once or twice since then). Plus, why would I shoot anyone? I'm not mad bro, I'm as cool as a frozen cucumber.

You all like your guns more than I like mine. I'll start practicing my dodging and weaving once my leg heals (I have a few stitches right now).

(03-11-2020 10:01 AM)OptimisticOwl Wrote:  I see little banter too, but what I do see is whooshing right over your head. Tanq made a joke of my inadvertant use of red and wing in juxtzposition.

I usually get it, just didn't follow the whole turk / red / wing stuff. I didn't realize what you did was inadvertent and I didn't understand your use of "turk" or "red". If you don't get the beginning of the joke, you aren't gonna get the punchline a few stanzas later!

(03-11-2020 10:01 AM)OptimisticOwl Wrote:  That is of course my opinion. I cannot present a study that proves it.

Of course you can't.

(03-11-2020 10:01 AM)OptimisticOwl Wrote:  People die all the time. I am waiting to see if this will blow over or get worse. You make us sound uncaring. I guess that is what the left thinks of us deplorables.

That isn't my point at all. With infectious diseases, you need to act before it gets worse. Once it gets worse, it is already too late. That's the trouble with exponential growth curves. Once the curve starts spiking into "gets worse" territory, you are already pretty screwed. And with a 5+ day latency, you don't even realize how screwed you are.

(03-11-2020 10:01 AM)OptimisticOwl Wrote:  I guess I am done trying to interject any humor in my interactions with you.

No worries friend, I make jokes that fall flat all the time. Usually sex jokes that I make to my wife, but she laughs her brains off at 1/10th of them so I keep trying. Remember (go to 1:06):

RE: Coronoavirus Virus thread (we're all gonna die!) - Frizzy Owl - 03-11-2020 10:23 AM

(03-11-2020 10:18 AM)mrbig Wrote:  
(03-11-2020 07:43 AM)Frizzy Owl Wrote:  South Korea has seven times as many confirmed cases of coronavirus, and twice as many deaths, as the United States. South Korea's population is an order of magnitude less.

I'm reading about all the wonderful things they are doing, but the results don't match the anecdote.

South Korea's outbreak started much earlier than the US's due in part to their proximity to China. They hit ~1,000 cases on 2/26. The hit 2,000 cases on 2/29. They hit 5,000 cases on 3/4. And they were testing a hell of a lot more people than we are.

Their first confirmed case was only one day ahead of the US.

That and the number of cases indicate that their testing protocol is far less effective.

RE: Coronoavirus Virus thread (we're all gonna die!) - RiceLad15 - 03-11-2020 10:29 AM

(03-11-2020 10:10 AM)Frizzy Owl Wrote:  
(03-11-2020 10:01 AM)mrbig Wrote:  For fun, I made my own graph of the epidemiologic curves for some of the hottest countries right now. Since they each had their 1st confirmed infections at different times and had different initial spreads, Day 1 on this graph is approximately when each country hit 200 confirmed infections.

In epidemiology, the rates are more meaningful for comparison than total numbers. Could you normalize the graph by population? The results should prove informative.

Are they more meaningful in comparison to total cases, especially at the beginning of the spread?

I haven't heard of an expert talk about the spread of the virus in new cases per X people, per day. I only have hear them referenced as new cases per day. And same with deaths - it's been # deaths per # infected - without normalization to total population.

RE: Coronoavirus Virus thread (we're all gonna die!) - Frizzy Owl - 03-11-2020 10:38 AM

(03-11-2020 10:29 AM)RiceLad15 Wrote:  
(03-11-2020 10:10 AM)Frizzy Owl Wrote:  

Are they more meaningful in comparison to total cases, especially at the beginning of the spread?

I haven't heard of an expert talk about the spread of the virus in new cases per X people, per day. I only have hear them referenced as new cases per day. And same with deaths - it's been # deaths per # infected - without normalization to total population.

If you wish to compare, say, the effectiveness of testing and containment measures between countries, then population is relevant. I think that’s obvious.

RE: Coronoavirus Virus thread (we're all gonna die!) - georgewebb - 03-11-2020 10:40 AM

(03-11-2020 10:21 AM)mrbig Wrote:  
(03-11-2020 10:01 AM)OptimisticOwl Wrote:  
(03-10-2020 05:10 PM)mrbig Wrote:  Dude, a lot of my "show me the facts" posts were aimed at OO.

Frizzy? Not Frizzy. YOU.

Yes, I got it. Just a little counter-banter. But I'm not a nut and my 2 guns are stored with my mom in Alaska and haven't been used since I was in high school (though I cleaned them once or twice since then). Plus, why would I shoot anyone? I'm not mad bro, I'm as cool as a frozen cucumber.

You all like your guns more than I like mine. I'll start practicing my dodging and weaving once my leg heals (I have a few stitches right now).

(03-11-2020 10:01 AM)OptimisticOwl Wrote:  I see little banter too, but what I do see is whooshing right over your head. Tanq made a joke of my inadvertant use of red and wing in juxtzposition.

I usually get it, just didn't follow the whole turk / red / wing stuff. I didn't realize what you did was inadvertent and I didn't understand your use of "turk" or "red".

What was hard to understand about the use of "turk", or of "red"?