CSNbbs
Coronoavirus Covid-19 thread - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: Members (/forum-401.html)
+----- Forum: Rice (/forum-444.html)
+------ Forum: Kent Rowald Memorial Quad (/forum-660.html)
+------ Thread: Coronoavirus Covid-19 thread (/thread-895134.html)

RE: Coronoavirus Covid-19 thread - At Ease - 04-19-2020 12:16 PM

Seems an early start for a Sunday.

RE: Coronoavirus Covid-19 thread - At Ease - 04-19-2020 12:29 PM

RE: Coronoavirus Covid-19 thread - RiceLad15 - 04-19-2020 12:31 PM

I’m interested in learning about which models were wrong and not predictive. It seems to be a talking point of the right (who continue to try and bash science any chance they get), but conveniently ignore that early models, with high death counts, were based on no mitigation. So inherently, once mitigation measures were taken, the models would of course be “wrong” because they were no longer predicting reality (since reality changed).

I still see many people comparing COVID-19 to the flu or H1N1. I wonder how many health care providers die each year from the flu or died during H1N1.

RE: Coronoavirus Covid-19 thread - RiceLad15 - 04-19-2020 12:38 PM

(04-19-2020 11:34 AM)tanqtonic Wrote:  
(04-19-2020 07:12 AM)RiceLad15 Wrote:  Do you think Trump knew the exact issues that the people in Minnesota and Michigan were protesting? Could he specifically point to the portions of the stay at home orders that they felt went too far? If so, he should have called them out.

Why dont you raise your hand and ask him? That is, as opposed to a series of rhetorical questions that none of us on this board have *any* first hand knowledge of.

As for calling the specific governors out -- I think Trump did a magnificent job of it. The evidence is the continued squawking about those tweets by you.

And, I think that you actually only learned that background first hand on this board after those facts were leeched out in the aftermath of your repeating of a pretty wafer-thin talking point.

At least the discussion has moved to the facts of the government actions instead of the gossamer and galvanic 'insurrection-whisperer' that was your first automatic response.

He did a magnificent job of it? He literally said nothing specific and did nothing more than undermine any action they take in addressing the outbreaks in their respective states. He basically gave a carte-blanche for his supporters to ignore any sort of order - from stay at home to public mask wearing to restricting event/group sizes.

What he did was counterproductive to the entire fight against the coronavirus. If he had specific issues and felt that some restrictions were too far, he should have said what went too far and then worked with the governors to change the issue.

Again, do you think Trump has any idea what restrictions any of the protesters had problems with and which restrictions that these states shared with his WH's proposal?

RE: Coronoavirus Covid-19 thread - tanqtonic - 04-19-2020 01:00 PM

Honestly, at least some of Whitmer's edicts *should* be questioned. That is the entire gist.

And at least more than a few of Marz's.

Kudos for putting the national spotlight on the protests, and *why* the protests happened. Funny, you havent even bothered to address those specific issues. You just continue to repeat such grandiose as **** comments as 'What he did was counterproductive to the entire fight against the coronavirus.'

Had an educated person not known about the protests, nor had known about the underlying actions, perhaps that educated person would have actually looked that up.

Instead, we have a repeat of the tweet and the sole comment of "ooof".

And perhaps you should actually learn to read, based on your last question. You asked that once before. I answered. I still dont have any first hand knowledge in that 2 hour delta. But nice try at the rhetorical angle (once again).

Kind of falls flat compared to your comparing anyone who listens to Trump as 'insurrectionist' and 'anti-government' at the outset.

And to short circuit the inane rhetorical bent you seemingly have started to repeat, I probably wont have such first hand information about that question. Tell you what, just to save both your and my stubby fingers from more keyboard damage, I will tell you when I do. Sound good?

RE: Coronoavirus Covid-19 thread - RiceLad15 - 04-19-2020 01:06 PM

(04-19-2020 01:00 PM)tanqtonic Wrote:  Honestly, at least some of Whitmer's edicts *should* be questioned. That is the entire gist.

Kudos for putting the national spotlight on the protests, and *why* the protests happened. Funny, you havent even bothered to address those specific issues. You just continue to repeat such grandiose as **** comments as 'What he did was counterproductive to the entire fight against the coronavirus.'

Had an educated person not known about the protests, nor had known about the underlying actions, perhaps that educated person would have actually looked that up.

And perhaps you should actually learn to read, based on your last question. You asked that once before. I answered. I still dont have any first hand knowledge in that 2 hour delta. But nice try at the rhetorical angle (once again).

Kind of falls flat compared to your comparing anyone who listens to Trump as 'insurrectionist' and 'anti-government' at the outset.

And to short circuit the inane rhetorical bent you seemingly have started to repeat, I probably wont have such first hand information about that question. Tell you what, just to save both your and my stubby fingers from more keyboard damage, I will tell you when I do. Sound good?

I "haven't even bothered to address those specific issues" because my issue is not with the protests themselves...

I mean, I think it's stupid to gather en masse right now, but that's got nothing to do with the content of the protests.

My issue is with how Trump tweeted about the protests in these three states, and the fact that it was inflammatory and absolutely counterproductive. If he has specific issues, he should bring the specifics up. Instead, he kept in character and didn't help at all.

RE: Coronoavirus Covid-19 thread - OptimisticOwl - 04-19-2020 01:25 PM

(04-19-2020 12:00 PM)At Ease Wrote:  

I didn't realize you were so heavily into conspiracy theories and opinions as facts. and you guys think Alex Jones is bad? He is you.

RE: Coronoavirus Covid-19 thread - OptimisticOwl - 04-19-2020 01:33 PM

(04-19-2020 12:31 PM)RiceLad15 Wrote:  the right (who continue to try and bash science any chance they get),

Yet another opinion presented as fact. You are displaying your bias.

RE: Coronoavirus Covid-19 thread - RiceLad15 - 04-19-2020 02:12 PM

(04-19-2020 01:33 PM)OptimisticOwl Wrote:  
(04-19-2020 12:31 PM)RiceLad15 Wrote:  the right (who continue to try and bash science any chance they get),

Do you need me to write IMO in front of every single thing that is an opinion?

Of course that's an opinion - I never tried to present that as fact. What kind of world do you live in where every single word a person says is meant to convey a fact and not their opinion?

RE: Coronoavirus Covid-19 thread - Owl 69/70/75 - 04-19-2020 02:40 PM

(04-19-2020 02:12 PM)RiceLad15 Wrote:  
Do you need me to write IMO in front of every single thing that is an opinion?

No, but in that wording, it is not at all clear that you mean it as opinion.

RE: Coronoavirus Covid-19 thread - tanqtonic - 04-19-2020 04:06 PM

(04-19-2020 01:06 PM)RiceLad15 Wrote:  
(04-19-2020 01:00 PM)tanqtonic Wrote:  Honestly, at least some of Whitmer's edicts *should* be questioned. That is the entire gist.

I "haven't even bothered to address those specific issues" because my issue is not with the protests themselves...

Funny, they *are* the root of the protests that Trump addressed. But please dance that cha cha cha some more.

Quote:My issue is with how Trump no matter what he says or does.
tweeted about the protests in these three states, and the fact that it was inflammatory and absolutely counterproductive. If he has specific issues, he should bring the specifics up. Instead, he kept in character and didn't help at all.

Fixed it to save you a shitload of typing there. In fact, just type OMB to save all of us, and you, a crapload of time and effort.

RE: Coronoavirus Covid-19 thread - tanqtonic - 04-19-2020 04:08 PM

(04-19-2020 01:06 PM)RiceLad15 Wrote:  the fact that it was inflammatory and absolutely counterproductive.

Fact? To you. But not a fact. Jeezus Krist you are now stating *your* opinion of the world as undeniable fact. Kind of cute.

RE: Coronoavirus Covid-19 thread - tanqtonic - 04-19-2020 04:12 PM

(04-19-2020 12:31 PM)RiceLad15 Wrote:  the right (who continue to try and bash science any chance they get)

Another 'fact' that lad seemingly pulls out of his ass. He is on a roll it seems today about force feeding *his* view as fact.

I guess if you toss in his still unedited opinion about 'Trump speaking directly to insurrectionists and anti-government people', he is on a rhetorical 'fact' frenzy in the last 24 hours.

Yep, 'fact' in parantheses....

I love all the slanted bull**** presented as 'fact' in the last little while.

*Edited to note another has already pointed out *this* phraseology.

RE: Coronoavirus Covid-19 thread - OptimisticOwl - 04-19-2020 04:57 PM

Of course that's an opinion - I never tried to present that as fact.

and yet you succeeded in doing so. THIS is what is meant by a "statement".

RE: Coronoavirus Covid-19 thread - OptimisticOwl - 04-19-2020 05:04 PM

I have no problem with science. I love science. But I have a problem with the misuse and misinterpretation of science.

The left, OTOH, apparently has a problem with facts and with fairness. That is my opinion, which I show by noting opinions presented as facts by the left and the use of a double standard by the left(DDS).

The Tara Reade thing is good example of the latter. Any discussion of Trump usually has a lot of the former.

RE: Coronoavirus Covid-19 thread - RiceLad15 - 04-19-2020 05:31 PM

(04-19-2020 04:57 PM)OptimisticOwl Wrote:  

Of course that's an opinion - I never tried to present that as fact.

and yet you succeeded in doing so. THIS is what is meant by a "statement".

This is the funniest argument I’ve ever seen. I now expect all y’all to explicitly indicate when you are stating an opinion, because if you don’t, you must clearly be trying to pass each state that as fact.

RE: Coronoavirus Covid-19 thread - tanqtonic - 04-19-2020 05:33 PM

Well at least lad hasnt trump-eted (ha -- pun) that something is racist or class envy today. He has gotten 2 statements in the progressive tropes out -- we be 'ignorant types' (once with the insurrectionist and the second with the 'continue to bash science any chance they get)

Well ah puht ohn muh redin' specs and fownd this:

It’s not a model that most of us in the infectious disease epidemiology field think is well suited
Quote:“It’s not a model that most of us in the infectious disease epidemiology field think is well suited” to projecting Covid-19 deaths, epidemiologist Marc Lipsitch of the Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health told reporters this week, referring to projections by the Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation at the University of Washington.

Ah gess wee cahn figger that wee ahr preety stoopid weeth ahl thaht sighency bashey stuph thaht wee doo anee tahm wee cahn.

lad is putting on a spectacular show of progressive douche baggery today...... my hat's off to him.

I cant wait for him to bash *anyone* with 'well dude THATS a generalization to the extreme' statement at anytime in the future. I am sure he will be absolutely certain that the comment that 'the right bashes science at any chance they get' is one of those rote lad-facts that is objectively truthful and has zero asshat rhetoric embedded in it.

RE: Coronoavirus Covid-19 thread - OptimisticOwl - 04-19-2020 06:08 PM

(04-19-2020 05:33 PM)tanqtonic Wrote:  Well at least lad hasnt trump-eted (ha -- pun) that something is racist or class envy today. He has gotten 2 statements in the progressive tropes out -- we be 'ignorant types' (once with the insurrectionist and the second with the 'continue to bash science any chance they get)

It’s not a model that most of us in the infectious disease epidemiology field think is well suited
Quote:“It’s not a model that most of us in the infectious disease epidemiology field think is well suited” to projecting Covid-19 deaths, epidemiologist Marc Lipsitch of the Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health told reporters this week, referring to projections by the Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation at the University of Washington.

Ah gess wee cahn figger that wee ahr preety stoopid weeth ahl thaht sighency bashey stuph thaht wee doo anee tahm wee cahn.

lad is putting on a spectacular show of progressive douche baggery today...... my hat's off to him.

I cant wait for him to bash *anyone* with 'well dude THATS a generalization to the extreme' statement at anytime in the future. I am sure he will be absolutely certain that the comment that 'the right bashes science at any chance they get' is one of those rote lad-facts that is objectively truthful and has zero asshat rhetoric embedded in it.

Well, if you disagree with the Harvard guy you must hate science. IMO.

RE: Coronoavirus Covid-19 thread - tanqtonic - 04-19-2020 06:12 PM

(04-19-2020 06:08 PM)OptimisticOwl Wrote:  
(04-19-2020 05:33 PM)tanqtonic Wrote:  Well at least lad hasnt trump-eted (ha -- pun) that something is racist or class envy today. He has gotten 2 statements in the progressive tropes out -- we be 'ignorant types' (once with the insurrectionist and the second with the 'continue to bash science any chance they get)

Well, if you disagree with the Harvard guy you must hate science. IMO.

not just Harvard --- a PhD at Harvard. That is the progressive gold standard. Only other way to get additional 'ooh ah' points is to write for the NY Times.

RE: Coronoavirus Covid-19 thread - OptimisticOwl - 04-19-2020 06:32 PM

Well, if half the people supporting Trump belong to a "basket of deplorables", then half the people supporting Biden belong in a "basket of gullibles." JMHO.