CSNbbs
Coronoavirus Covid-19 thread - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: Members (/forum-401.html)
+----- Forum: Rice (/forum-444.html)
+------ Forum: Kent Rowald Memorial Quad (/forum-660.html)
+------ Thread: Coronoavirus Covid-19 thread (/thread-895134.html)

RE: Coronoavirus Covid-19 thread - RiceLad15 - 04-10-2020 04:21 PM

(04-10-2020 02:20 PM)OptimisticOwl Wrote:  
(04-10-2020 01:12 PM)RiceLad15 Wrote:  
(04-10-2020 11:35 AM)OptimisticOwl Wrote:  
(04-10-2020 10:23 AM)RiceLad15 Wrote:  
(04-10-2020 10:09 AM)OptimisticOwl Wrote:  Back to virus news:

I went to a doctor Wednesday. I wore a mask and gloves. When I got there, I was literally the only person in the building with either. Doctors, staff, patients - I was the only one.

Most people in my rural area are not wearing PPE.

As an aside, the doctor, a very politically connected person, told me that crime in Dallas was up 400%. I cannot vouch for the number.

FYI

NYC seeing the opposite effect.

https://abc7ny.com/nypd-crime-statistics-new-york-city-coronavirus-nyc/6071137/

Overall crime appears to be down across the board.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/investigations/2020/04/04/coronavirus-crime-rates-drop-and-domestic-violence-spikes/2939120001/

As soon as you hear something that is extreme (a 400% increase is EXTREME) your radar should go up for BS. I know it's a rural area, but what sort of preconceived notions about urban centers does your doctor have?

The one area of crime that is seeing an increase is domestic violence. But while those incidents are increasing, they are not quadrupling.

I said I did not vouch for the numbers. But I also said he is very well connected, with numerous state officials on his speed dial (figuratively speaking - don't call me a liar)

But I wonder why you have to assume he is some sort of ignorant country rube with preconceived notions (notions? really? what a quaint word.) about urban centers. I didn't say we had to get to town by pack mule. Perhaps you have some preconceived" notions" about rural people. It would seem to fit with attitudes from the left. FTR, he had to close two offices in urban centers.

Also, there could be reasons either way for the statistics:

From your link:
Massive drops in traffic and person stops – as much as 92% in some jurisdictions – helped drive sharp declines in drug offenses and DUIs.
(maybe crime hasn't dropped; maybe they are just getting away with it more.)

Many police departments say they are intentionally arresting fewer people to avoid the potential spread of the coronavirus in jails. Police in Delray Beach, Florida, are reducing proactive policing, such as drug busts. In nearby Gainesville, Florida, officers are increasingly issuing summons instead of making arrests for minor offenses, Police chief inspector Jorge Campos said.

So, as Twain said,there three kinds of lies: the third one is statistics. Could be good reasons for stats to be misleading. That is why they need to be interpreted.

I asked what preconceived notions he has about urban areas because I can't fathom how someone could believe a statistic like that, unless they don't know much about living in urban areas, especially Dallas AND after only a few weeks of quarantine. A 400% increase in crime (not a specific crime, but crime in general) in an urban area is an astronomical jump, and one that would make front page news everywhere.

My comment doesn't come from the fact that the doctor is working in a rural hospital, but that he told someone about such an increase in CRIME (not a specific crime).

I googled "400% increase in crime" and I think I know where your Dr got this number from.

Washington Examiner - Bodega burglaries spike by 400% in New York City amid coronavirus pandemic

Quote:The New York Police Department has seen a 75% spike in commercial burglaries since the city was put under a state of emergency in March amid the coronavirus pandemic.

Police recorded 254 burglaries of commercial business across the board between March 12-31, up from 145 from the same time period last year. Burglaries of only bodegas and supermarkets increased by 400% during the same time period when compared to last year.

So it's specifically the burglary of bodegas/super markets in the NYC area that increased 400%. And likely because they made up a small fraction of commercial business burglaries last year (since that crime has spiked 75%).

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/bodega-burglaries-spike-by-400-in-new-york-city-amid-coronavirus-pandemic

No, he said Dallas. We may be rural, but we are not that far from Dallas and/or Fort Worth. Lots of people around here work in those cities and commute. He did not say where/who he got the number from. That's why I passed it on as something I heard, not as a fact.

We were talking about the coronavirus quarantining. He mentioned it as part of that. He didn't just bring it up out of the blue because he has notions about them thar city fellers. We don't live in Mayberry. Or Maypearl

Yes, I know he said Dallas. But knowing how the game of telephone works, my guess is the 400% increase in crime in Dallas derived from the Washington Examiner story I posted.

Any reason you didn't check this claim out before posting it?

RE: Coronoavirus Covid-19 thread - OptimisticOwl - 04-10-2020 04:45 PM

(04-10-2020 04:21 PM)RiceLad15 Wrote:  
(04-10-2020 11:35 AM)OptimisticOwl Wrote:  
(04-10-2020 10:23 AM)RiceLad15 Wrote:  NYC seeing the opposite effect.

https://abc7ny.com/nypd-crime-statistics-new-york-city-coronavirus-nyc/6071137/

Overall crime appears to be down across the board.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/investigations/2020/04/04/coronavirus-crime-rates-drop-and-domestic-violence-spikes/2939120001/

As soon as you hear something that is extreme (a 400% increase is EXTREME) your radar should go up for BS. I know it's a rural area, but what sort of preconceived notions about urban centers does your doctor have?

The one area of crime that is seeing an increase is domestic violence. But while those incidents are increasing, they are not quadrupling.

I said I did not vouch for the numbers. But I also said he is very well connected, with numerous state officials on his speed dial (figuratively speaking - don't call me a liar)

But I wonder why you have to assume he is some sort of ignorant country rube with preconceived notions (notions? really? what a quaint word.) about urban centers. I didn't say we had to get to town by pack mule. Perhaps you have some preconceived" notions" about rural people. It would seem to fit with attitudes from the left. FTR, he had to close two offices in urban centers.

From your link:
Massive drops in traffic and person stops – as much as 92% in some jurisdictions – helped drive sharp declines in drug offenses and DUIs.

Many police departments say they are intentionally arresting fewer people to avoid the potential spread of the coronavirus in jails. Police in Delray Beach, Florida, are reducing proactive policing, such as drug busts. In nearby Gainesville, Florida, officers are increasingly issuing summons instead of making arrests for minor offenses, Police chief inspector Jorge Campos said.

So, as Twain said,there three kinds of lies: the third one is statistics. Could be good reasons for stats to be misleading. That is why they need to be interpreted.

I asked what preconceived notions he has about urban areas because I can't fathom how someone could believe a statistic like that, unless they don't know much about living in urban areas, especially Dallas AND after only a few weeks of quarantine. A 400% increase in crime (not a specific crime, but crime in general) in an urban area is an astronomical jump, and one that would make front page news everywhere.

My comment doesn't come from the fact that the doctor is working in a rural hospital, but that he told someone about such an increase in CRIME (not a specific crime).

I googled "400% increase in crime" and I think I know where your Dr got this number from.

Washington Examiner - Bodega burglaries spike by 400% in New York City amid coronavirus pandemic

Quote:The New York Police Department has seen a 75% spike in commercial burglaries since the city was put under a state of emergency in March amid the coronavirus pandemic.

Police recorded 254 burglaries of commercial business across the board between March 12-31, up from 145 from the same time period last year. Burglaries of only bodegas and supermarkets increased by 400% during the same time period when compared to last year.

So it's specifically the burglary of bodegas/super markets in the NYC area that increased 400%. And likely because they made up a small fraction of commercial business burglaries last year (since that crime has spiked 75%).

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/bodega-burglaries-spike-by-400-in-new-york-city-amid-coronavirus-pandemic

No, he said Dallas. We may be rural, but we are not that far from Dallas and/or Fort Worth. Lots of people around here work in those cities and commute. He did not say where/who he got the number from. That's why I passed it on as something I heard, not as a fact.

We were talking about the coronavirus quarantining. He mentioned it as part of that. He didn't just bring it up out of the blue because he has notions about them thar city fellers. We don't live in Mayberry. Or Maypearl

Yes, I know he said Dallas. But knowing how the game of telephone works, my guess is the 400% increase in crime in Dallas derived from the Washington Examiner story I posted.

Good grief, I posted that I did not vouch for the numbers. I disclosed that it was hearsay. What in the world is wrong with you?

RE: Coronoavirus Covid-19 thread - RiceLad15 - 04-10-2020 04:48 PM

(04-10-2020 04:45 PM)OptimisticOwl Wrote:  
(04-10-2020 11:35 AM)OptimisticOwl Wrote:  I said I did not vouch for the numbers. But I also said he is very well connected, with numerous state officials on his speed dial (figuratively speaking - don't call me a liar)

From your link:

Good grief, I posted that I did not vouch for the numbers. I disclosed that it was hearsay. What in the world is wrong with you?

Something is wrong with me for asking why you didn’t check the claim before you took the time to type it and hit post?

Lol.

RE: Coronoavirus Covid-19 thread - OptimisticOwl - 04-10-2020 04:51 PM

(04-10-2020 04:48 PM)RiceLad15 Wrote:  
(04-10-2020 01:12 PM)RiceLad15 Wrote:  I asked what preconceived notions he has about urban areas because I can't fathom how someone could believe a statistic like that, unless they don't know much about living in urban areas, especially Dallas AND after only a few weeks of quarantine. A 400% increase in crime (not a specific crime, but crime in general) in an urban area is an astronomical jump, and one that would make front page news everywhere.

Something is wrong with me for asking why you didn’t check the claim before you took the time to type it and hit post?

Lol.

Yes.

That would be a reasonable question if I had posted it as fact. I did not. I posted it as hearsay.

See if you can tell the difference:
A. Dallas crime is up 400%.
B. I was told Dallas crime is up 400% but I do not vouch for the numbers.

RE: Coronoavirus Covid-19 thread - Fort Bend Owl - 04-10-2020 05:37 PM

OO - sounds like you need a new doctor.

RE: Coronoavirus Covid-19 thread - OptimisticOwl - 04-10-2020 06:08 PM

(04-10-2020 05:37 PM)Fort Bend Owl Wrote:  OO - sounds like you need a new doctor.

Nah, he's a very good doctor in his field.

I got a very good report from him this time - I was worried about some things. Thanks to you and Lad for asking.

Are you leaving news to come back to commentary?

RE: Coronoavirus Covid-19 thread - RiceLad15 - 04-10-2020 06:13 PM

(04-10-2020 04:51 PM)OptimisticOwl Wrote:  
(04-10-2020 02:20 PM)OptimisticOwl Wrote:  No, he said Dallas. We may be rural, but we are not that far from Dallas and/or Fort Worth. Lots of people around here work in those cities and commute. He did not say where/who he got the number from. That's why I passed it on as something I heard, not as a fact.

Lol.

Yes.

That would be a reasonable question if I had posted it as fact. I did not. I posted it as hearsay.

I hear that Trump secretly wanted the Corona virus to hit the US so he could blame it on the Democrats.

Just something I heard somewhere. Not endorsing it at all.

Christ.

RE: Coronoavirus Covid-19 thread - Owl 69/70/75 - 04-10-2020 06:14 PM

(04-10-2020 05:37 PM)Fort Bend Owl Wrote:  OO - sounds like you need a new doctor.

Sounds like you and Lad need to take chill pills.

RE: Coronoavirus Covid-19 thread - OptimisticOwl - 04-10-2020 06:26 PM

(04-10-2020 06:13 PM)RiceLad15 Wrote:  
(04-10-2020 04:21 PM)RiceLad15 Wrote:  Yes, I know he said Dallas. But knowing how the game of telephone works, my guess is the 400% increase in crime in Dallas derived from the Washington Examiner story I posted.

Lol.

Yes.

I hear that Trump secretly wanted the Corona virus to hit the US so he could blame it on the Democrats.

Christ.

Careful - there are gullible people on the left who would believe this and call for an investigation and/or impeachment. Just like the "smoke" that you believed worthy of a two year special investigation.

You sure are invested in this. It was just an FYI of what I saw and heard when I went to the doctor. Nothing was said that might benefit Trump. So I can only guess that it is me that has your attention.

OK, give me the results of your research - the research you say I should have done before posting another person's statement while noting it as his unsupported opinion. I know you did the research.

RE: Coronoavirus Covid-19 thread - RiceLad15 - 04-10-2020 06:34 PM

(04-10-2020 06:26 PM)OptimisticOwl Wrote:  
(04-10-2020 04:45 PM)OptimisticOwl Wrote:  Good grief, I posted that I did not vouch for the numbers. I disclosed that it was hearsay. What in the world is wrong with you?

Lol.

Yes.

Christ.

Careful - there are gullible people on the left who would believe this and call for an investigation and/or impeachment. Just like the "smoke" that you believed worthy of a two year special investigation.

You sure are invested in this. It was just an FYI of what I saw and heard when I went to the doctor. Nothing was said that might benefit Trump. So I can only guess that it is me that has your attention.

OK, give me the results of your research - the research you say I should have done before posting another person's statement while noting it as his unsupported opinion. I know you did the research.

See posts above - already provided numbers on crime rates during corona and the likely source of the misinformation that came from your doctor and ended up on this board.

You obviously shared the post for a reason, and I immediately thought, wow, that looks unbelievable. And turns out, it was.

RE: Coronoavirus Covid-19 thread - RiceLad15 - 04-10-2020 06:35 PM

(04-10-2020 06:14 PM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  

What do I specifically need to chill out about?

I called out the bull**** statement that OO typed out as being bull****. Doesn’t matter if he endorsed it or not - it was bull****.

RE: Coronoavirus Covid-19 thread - ruowls - 04-10-2020 06:48 PM

(04-10-2020 01:12 PM)RiceLad15 Wrote:  I asked what preconceived notions he has about urban areas because I can't fathom how someone could believe a statistic like that, unless they don't know much about living in urban areas, especially Dallas AND after only a few weeks of quarantine. A 400% increase in crime (not a specific crime, but crime in general) in an urban area is an astronomical jump, and one that would make front page news everywhere.

Lol.

https://y.yarn.co/46b26e41-9467-4f52-a5c4-9775bad1c408.mp4?1586562439299

RE: Coronoavirus Covid-19 thread - tanqtonic - 04-10-2020 07:51 PM

(04-10-2020 06:35 PM)RiceLad15 Wrote:  

I called out the bull**** statement that OO typed out as being bull****. Doesn’t matter if he endorsed it or not - it was bull****.

The post above seems strangely bipolar in nature.

RE: Coronoavirus Covid-19 thread - RiceLad15 - 04-10-2020 08:06 PM

(04-10-2020 07:51 PM)tanqtonic Wrote:  

Tone doesn’t really come across well on this forum, so using a phrase like bull**** can maybe denote more emotion than there really is.

RE: Coronoavirus Covid-19 thread - tanqtonic - 04-10-2020 09:46 PM

(04-10-2020 08:06 PM)RiceLad15 Wrote:  
(04-10-2020 07:51 PM)tanqtonic Wrote:  

Tone doesn’t really come across well on this forum, so using a phrase like bull**** can maybe denote more emotion than there really is.

Have you gotten all that marrow out of that bone, or are ya gonna gnaw on it some more?

RE: Coronoavirus Covid-19 thread - OptimisticOwl - 04-10-2020 10:44 PM

(04-10-2020 06:34 PM)RiceLad15 Wrote:  
(04-10-2020 04:48 PM)RiceLad15 Wrote:  Something is wrong with me for asking why you didn’t check the claim before you took the time to type it and hit post?

Lol.

Yes.

Christ.

See posts above - already provided numbers on crime rates during corona and the likely source of the misinformation that came from your doctor and ended up on this board.

You obviously shared the post for a reason, and I immediately thought, wow, that looks unbelievable. And turns out, it was.

Yeah, I shared for a reason - but it wasn't the reason you think. I shared because I thought it was probably exaggerated, but also that it was interesting that these were the stories going around. Guess I should have said so before the thought police jumped on it. I thought saying I could not vouch for it would convey to any thinking person that I was skeptical. Instead, you apparently think I was trying to...what? Do you see conspiracies everywhere?

But you only said you googled "400% increase in crime", not "increase in Dallas crime". where are the Dallas results you found? You know, the ones that show what the change in Dallas crime really is.

RE: Coronoavirus Covid-19 thread - OptimisticOwl - 04-10-2020 10:44 PM

See, now that is a lie. I did not make such a statement.

Here's exactly what I said:

"As an aside, the doctor, a very politically connected person, told me that crime in Dallas was up 400%. I cannot vouch for the number."

RE: Coronoavirus Covid-19 thread - RiceLad15 - 04-10-2020 11:30 PM

(04-10-2020 10:44 PM)OptimisticOwl Wrote:  

"As an aside, the doctor, a very politically connected person, told me that crime in Dallas was up 400%. I cannot vouch for the number."

So you did type out a statement as I said...

RE: Coronoavirus Covid-19 thread - RiceLad15 - 04-10-2020 11:36 PM

(04-10-2020 06:34 PM)RiceLad15 Wrote:  
(04-10-2020 04:51 PM)OptimisticOwl Wrote:  Yes.

Christ.

Yeah, I shared for a reason - but it wasn't the reason you think. I shared because I thought it was probably exaggerated, but also that it was interesting that these were the stories going around. Guess I should have said so before the thought police jumped on it. I thought saying I could not vouch for it would convey to any thinking person that I was skeptical. Instead, you apparently think I was trying to...what? Do you see conspiracies everywhere?

But you only said you googled "400% increase in crime", not "increase in Dallas crime". where are the Dallas results you found? You know, the ones that show what the change in Dallas crime really is.

I already provided that information - read my responses and the links I cite. One specifically calls out Dallas as being part of their data set, but doesn’t mention a 400% increase in crime there. Had it been an outlier, it would have been referenced.

This article documents that Dallas, specifically, has seen a decrease in crime as compared to last year. https://www.wfaa.com/mobile/article/news/health/coronavirus/crime-remains-on-the-decline-in-dallas-despite-covid-19-restrictions/287-ce90633e-d669-447e-b928-8582c5326ee6

And stop relying on the “thought police” crutch. Did I ever say you couldn’t post bull****? I noted it was bull**** and explained thoroughly why it was. You’re more than free to continue to post bull**** all ya want, but don’t feign offense if someone else points out that it is bull****.

RE: Coronoavirus Covid-19 thread - OptimisticOwl - 04-11-2020 09:05 AM

(04-10-2020 11:30 PM)RiceLad15 Wrote:  

So you did type out a statement as I said...

Two sentences. So which was the BS statement - the one with "the doctor...told me..." or the one with "I cannot vouch"?