CSNbbs
Could/would Penny quit ? - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: Members (/forum-401.html)
+----- Forum: MemphisTigers.org (/forum-446.html)
+------ Forum: Dockery-Finch Memorial Tiger Sports Forum (/forum-499.html)
+------ Thread: Could/would Penny quit ? (/thread-894670.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

Could/would Penny quit ? - jsw3ent - 02-18-2020 05:35 PM

...I sure hope not. I touched on this in another thread---but people really think its a possibility . At the sportbooks in Tunica and poker room at the shoe people are thinking he may pull a Wiseman. That has been the main topic of conversation since the USF game. They say he is taking so much heat nationally being snickered at and ridiculed by his peers that his ego cant take it. They say if some of our core players transfer---coupled with not signing Green and Brown that Penny is gone. Green once considered a MEMPHIS/PENNY lock is now leaning Auburn. Combine that with the heat locally . If we win the AAC trny and go to the dance this will all pass----or if we do sign Brown/Green and dont lose any core players to transfer then again I think all this talk will disappear . Add them 2 guys to our returning guys and again next year could be special. What say you ---is Penny quitting a REAL possibility ? I hope not----- go TIGERS

RE: Could/would Penny quit ? - uskjtc02 - 02-18-2020 05:39 PM

I don’t think so. But you never know. A lot of our fans are openly pessimistic towards him.

RE: Could/would Penny quit ? - MemphisTigerPawr - 02-18-2020 05:41 PM

I don't think Penny is facing any real heat locally. He is young and would benefit greatly from a former head coach on staff. Penny couldn't control the NCAA, Wisemans decision or the injuries this team has faced this season. If people are throwing heat nationally it's because they are scared of what he could build here. That said he need a Seth Greensburg type on staff to help mentor him

RE: Could/would Penny quit ? - Dynamos - 02-18-2020 05:46 PM

We should have never hired a coach that needs another coach to help mentor him. I guess we were desperate though

RE: Could/would Penny quit ? - tiger1016 - 02-18-2020 05:47 PM

(02-18-2020 05:39 PM)uskjtc02 Wrote:  I don’t think so. But you never know. A lot of our fans are openly pessimistic towards him.

A lot? That’s quite the exaggeration

RE: Could/would Penny quit ? - MemphisTigerPawr - 02-18-2020 05:50 PM

John Beilien is free now, doubt he wants an assistants job but who knows. He just walked away from 20 million dollars in Cleveland

RE: Could/would Penny quit ? - MemphisTigerPawr - 02-18-2020 05:52 PM

(02-18-2020 05:47 PM)tiger1016 Wrote:  
(02-18-2020 05:39 PM)uskjtc02 Wrote:  I don’t think so. But you never know. A lot of our fans are openly pessimistic towards him.

A lot? That’s quite the exaggeration

It's not pessimistic to see things that need improving.

Our free throws and turnovers are both a lack of focus and discipline imo.

RE: Could/would Penny quit ? - TigerBlue4Ever - 02-18-2020 07:18 PM

(02-18-2020 05:46 PM)Dynamos Wrote:  We should have never hired a coach that needs another coach to help mentor him. I guess we were desperate though

Was there an experienced proven winner waiting in the wings of who we are all unaware. Help us out here. Or were you content with Tubby?

RE: Could/would Penny quit ? - TigerBlue4Ever - 02-18-2020 07:20 PM

(02-18-2020 05:35 PM)jsw3ent Wrote:  ...I sure hope not. I touched on this in another thread---but people really think its a possibility . At the sportbooks in Tunica and poker room at the shoe people are thinking he may pull a Wiseman. That has been the main topic of conversation since the USF game. They say he is taking so much heat nationally being snickered at and ridiculed by his peers that his ego cant take it. They say if some of our core players transfer---coupled with not signing Green and Brown that Penny is gone. Green once considered a MEMPHIS/PENNY lock is now leaning Auburn. Combine that with the heat locally . If we win the AAC trny and go to the dance this will all pass----or if we do sign Brown/Green and dont lose any core players to transfer then again I think all this talk will disappear . Add them 2 guys to our returning guys and again next year could be special. What say you ---is Penny quitting a REAL possibility ? I hope not----- go TIGERS

See, I think his ego wouldn't allow him to just up and quit. But none of us really know what's in his heart or mind now do we? I don't wish to see him quite FTR, nor do I want him fired.

RE: Could/would Penny quit ? - MTigerBlue - 02-18-2020 07:35 PM

(02-18-2020 07:20 PM)TigerBlue4Ever Wrote:  
(02-18-2020 05:35 PM)jsw3ent Wrote:  ...I sure hope not. I touched on this in another thread---but people really think its a possibility . At the sportbooks in Tunica and poker room at the shoe people are thinking he may pull a Wiseman. That has been the main topic of conversation since the USF game. They say he is taking so much heat nationally being snickered at and ridiculed by his peers that his ego cant take it. They say if some of our core players transfer---coupled with not signing Green and Brown that Penny is gone. Green once considered a MEMPHIS/PENNY lock is now leaning Auburn. Combine that with the heat locally . If we win the AAC trny and go to the dance this will all pass----or if we do sign Brown/Green and dont lose any core players to transfer then again I think all this talk will disappear . Add them 2 guys to our returning guys and again next year could be special. What say you ---is Penny quitting a REAL possibility ? I hope not----- go TIGERS

See, I think his ego wouldn't allow him to just up and quit. But none of us really know what's in his heart or mind now do we? I don't wish to see him quite FTR, nor do I want him fired.

People are still showing up to the games, and as long as that's the case he won't be fired. That's why he was hired.

RE: Could/would Penny quit ? - tigerlands - 02-18-2020 07:38 PM

He is 17-8. Not 8-17. Why would he quit?

RE: Could/would Penny quit ? - Rufus T. Firefly - 02-18-2020 07:42 PM

(02-18-2020 05:50 PM)MemphisTigerPawr Wrote:  John Beilien is free now, doubt he wants an assistants job but who knows. He just walked away from 20 million dollars in Cleveland
You beat me to it. He needs no money andd would be Larry Brown without the baggage.

RE: Could/would Penny quit ? - k2tigers - 02-18-2020 07:47 PM

I bet you don't.

WHO?

Think about it like Tiger baseball, where the coach overstays his welcome yet nobody cares

RE: Could/would Penny quit ? - jsw3ent - 02-18-2020 07:58 PM

(02-18-2020 07:38 PM)tigerlands Wrote:  He is 17-8. Not 8-17. Why would he quit?

Like I said---I hope he doesn't quit--however speculation is --IF some combination of Boogie/Lester/Baugh/Harris-transfer---AND IF we dont sign Brown/Green--both of which were once heavy MEMPHIS leans---and we then have to sign lesser rated players--that/then Penny might see that next year could possibly bring 8-17.

Like I said win the AAC tournament and get in the dance---or sign those 2 guys--without losing the core nucleus of players via transfer-- and all is right with the universe. The excitement or um smoke would return.

RE: Could/would Penny quit ? - thagr82008 - 02-18-2020 08:06 PM

(02-18-2020 07:20 PM)TigerBlue4Ever Wrote:  

Kind of interesting that this is even a question.... I want to be careful NOT to overreact here, however, I must admit that whomever feels that this is even a remote possibility, or thought in CPH mindset, has no unearthly idea what it's like to overcome the circumstances of an environment such as Binghampton..... There is NO QUIT in a person that evolves from Binghampton and has successes such as Penny has had....Quitting is actually viewed as worse than failure.....Some CAN'T feel the magnitude and impact of this video.... I guess we just have to be understanding and leave it as just that.... MOST WON"T/CAN'T understand #DOIT4DEZ

#NoQuitInMemphis

RE: Could/would Penny quit ? - former guest - 02-18-2020 08:14 PM

To the OP: No. I don't give two sheets about what a bunch of people in Tunica or the shoe think about Tiger sports - chances are they are talking out of their azz and aren't knowledgeable Tiger fans, but fans of other schools (you know the ones...) that want to just pile crap on the Tigers.

As for being a quitter, I don't personally know Penny, but it would be my belief that as competitive as he has been his whole life, and as hard as he had to work to get to where he is, he is far from a quitter. I think if he's confronted with hard times, he is going to do his dead-level best to overcome it.

"A lot of our fans are openly pessimistic towards him...." Maybe on this board full of experts, but I doubt the general population of Tiger fans are.

Like someone else said above, if people are still coming to watch them it can't be that bad. Remember how empty the place was just two years ago - THAT was a pessimistic fanbase making their feelings known.

RE: Could/would Penny quit ? - ImaTiger - 02-18-2020 08:20 PM

Penny has more character than the twit that started this thread. Bank on it.

Conversation in Tunica. OMFG

Pray tell what wise life choices did you make to bring you to such a lofty and esteemed dead end joint like Tunica?

RE: Could/would Penny quit ? - jsw3ent - 02-18-2020 08:24 PM

(02-18-2020 07:47 PM)k2tigers Wrote:  

I bet you don't.

WHO?

Think about it like Tiger baseball, where the coach overstays his welcome yet nobody cares

Of course I don't. What kind of a TIGER/MEMPHIS fan would want a TIGER coach to quit after only 2 seasons----that would mean that he failed---aside from winning the national championship. I don't think any true TIGER fan wants Penny to fail.

WHO ? and RUE THE DAY---yep they are me LOL--

As for TIGER baseball--and you can add the LADY TIGERS basketball to that list---I don't understand the apathy of the university . Yes I pull for them every game but I just don't get it. Look at LOSERVILLE----both basketball teams and baseball team ALL great programs (I puked typing that)---but they are the program that we were always connected to and compared . The LADY TIGERS haven't really been any good since Mary Lou Johns --30 ? years-----baseball how-many years ? APATHY---but that doesn't mean I dont pull for them.

RE: Could/would Penny quit ? - jsw3ent - 02-18-2020 08:43 PM

(02-18-2020 08:20 PM)ImaTiger Wrote:  Penny has more character than the twit that started this thread. Bank on it.

Conversation in Tunica. OMFG

Pray tell what wise life choices did you make to bring you to such a lofty and esteemed dead end joint like Tunica?

TWIT-/character-really---I bet I was a TIGER fan before you were sucking on zwiebacks. I am a MEMPHIS TIGER fan period----a PENNY fan I am. You dont know me O HOLIER THAN THOU ONE---who are you to judge me. THIS IS A FAN MESSAGE BOARD WHERE PEOPLE COME TO TALK TIGERS.

Not that it is any of your business me being in Tunica----but its the best/only poker room in area---and thats what I do.

RE: Could/would Penny quit ? - GermantownTiger - 02-18-2020 09:01 PM

Penny has said absolutely nothing to indicate he's just gonna up and quit just because his team is experiencing a few temporary hurdles.

One doesn't achieve the things he achieved on the basketball court and in life without fighting through obstacles that likely would've derailed lesser folks.

We just need to keep cheering this team and coaching staff on as they work through this season's adversity...better days are yet to come, my fellow Tiger fans. 04-cheers