CSNbbs
The Great Do-Over - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: College Sports and Conference Realignment (/forum-637.html)
+---- Thread: The Great Do-Over (/thread-894362.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: The Great Do-Over - bullet - 02-14-2020 08:58 AM

(02-13-2020 09:40 PM)schmolik Wrote:  
(02-13-2020 09:22 PM)NBPirate Wrote:  People mention the Mississippi schools and it’s odd. As previously mentioned, they’re founding schools in the SEC. Ole Miss has won national championships and recently won a Sugar Bowl in football with a 100+ million dollar budget. Sheesh. Get a grip.

Football isn't everything. Athletics isn't everything. Academics, geography, and demographics matter. Well at least to the Big Ten. I'm not sure they do to the SEC. Florida State isn't good enough for the SEC but not one but two schools in Mississippi are? Florida should just join the ACC then. Academically and demographically they're more of an ACC school than an SEC school and they can actually play men's basketball.

And I'm not big on history. Why are Kansas State, Iowa State, and Mississippi State "good enough" but Illinois State not good enough? Because they were back before most of us were born?

Illinois St. was a teacher's college. It was an Illinois directional with a better name. The 3 you mention are all land grant colleges-originally Kansas A&M, Mississippi A&M-not sure if Iowa St. was an "A&M" or if they were always "State."

RE: The Great Do-Over - quo vadis - 02-14-2020 09:13 AM

(02-14-2020 06:38 AM)schmolik Wrote:  
(02-13-2020 11:55 PM)IWokeUpLikeThis Wrote:  Another +1. But I’m not sure it’s age as much as it is ignorance. History is one of if not the most important factor in college sports. The ones who writeoff history while bringing an arrogance to their put-downs are the ones who leave everyone else cringing. No one wants to be that guy.

No one also wants to be UCF or Cincinnati or UConn who can't get a place in the big boy's table (P5) because all of the seats are taken by schools that don't deserve to be there because of history. At least UConn will get back to the Big East in basketball but is it too late? Their men's program is nowhere near what it was since they won their last national championship. Instead of the old Big East playing Syracuse and Georgetown, they're playing SMU, Houston, and Tulsa and traveling halfway across the Mississippi in the middle of the winter. I wonder why kids don't want to go there anymore. It's even affected their women's team. They haven't won a title since 2016. And Temple is irrelevant in men's basketball. Next year the only "local" AAC team leaves. I live in Philly and see the state of Temple athletics. We lost our baseball and softball teams because we couldn't afford flying our teams to Dallas and Houston. Why shouldn't I be angry at Mississippi State who has everything and only got it because they were in the SEC before I was born? UCF finished the regular season unbeaten twice and didn't even make the CFP. They beat Auburn in the Peach Bowl. Guess who made more $, UCF or Auburn? Better yet, who made more $, UCF or Mississippi State, who UCF would mop the floor with?

In the past 10 years Mississippi State has won six bowls - two Gator Bowls, the Belk Bowl, the Music City Bowl, the Liberty Bowl and the St Pete Bowl.

That's not great by SEC standards, but it's pretty darn good by the standards of most places. That's more bowl wins than any of the four aggrieved teams you mention above.

In the same time, Cincy has won four bowls - a Belk Bowl, Liberty Bowl, Military Bowl, and Birmingham Bowl.

Your Temple has won all of two bowls, and two of the most bottom feeders, the Gasparilla Bowl and the New Mexico Bowl. Not very impressive.

UConn hasn't won any bowls. UConn of course has had huge hoops success, but their hoops is rejoining a Power hoops conference so that has been remedied.

So in football, Mississippi State stacks up favorably to those save UCF, which has won 5 bowls the past 10 years, albeit two NY6 bowls.

Beyond that, Mississippi State didn't just "happen" to be in the SEC before you were born, they are there because they created the SEC, they are a founding member. And conferences aren't about "deserving", they are about schools that want to be affiliated with each other.

RE: The Great Do-Over - ChrisLords - 02-14-2020 09:36 AM

I like 12 team conferences. 2 6-team divisions with a championship game in football and 22 game round robin schedule in basketball.

I peeled off NCST and Wake from the ACC. Vandy and Miss St. from the SEC. MD and Rutgers from the B1G and added most of them to the AAC. A few members of the AAC got downgraded but I didn't go any lower than the MWC in this model.

B1G
-----
East
-----
Indiana
Michigan
Michigan State
Ohio State
Penn State
Purdue

West
-----
Illinois
Iowa
Minnesota
Nebraska
Northwestern
Wisconsin

SEC
-----
East
-----
Florida
Georgia
Kentucky
Missouri
South Carolina
Tennessee

West
-----
Alabama
Arkansas
Auburn
LSU
Mississippi
Texas A&M

ACC
-----
Coastal
-----
Duke
Georgia Tech
Miami
North Carolina
Virginia
Virginia Tech

Atlantic
-----
Boston College
Clemson
Florida State
Louisville
Pittsburgh
Syracuse

Big 12
-----
North
-----
Cincinnati
Iowa State
Kansas
Kansas State
Memphis
West Virginia

South
-----
Baylor
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State
Texas
Texas Christian
Texas Tech

Pac 12
-----
North
-----
California
Oregon
Oregon state
Stanford
Washington
Washington State

South
-----
Arizona
Arizona State
Colorado
Southern California
UCLA
Utah

AAC
-----
North
-----
Connecticut
Maryland
North Carolina State
Rutgers
Temple
Vanderbilt

South
-----
Central Florida
Houston
Mississippi State
SMU
South Florida
Tulane

MWC
-----
Mountain
-----
Air Force
Boise State
Colorado State
New Mexico
Utah State
Wyoming

West
-----
Fresno State
Hawaii - football only
Nevada
San Diego State
San Jose State
UNLV

Independent
-----
Army
BYU
Navy
Notre Dame

RE: The Great Do-Over - Frank the Tank - 02-14-2020 09:59 AM

(02-14-2020 08:58 AM)bullet Wrote:  
(02-13-2020 09:22 PM)NBPirate Wrote:  People mention the Mississippi schools and it’s odd. As previously mentioned, they’re founding schools in the SEC. Ole Miss has won national championships and recently won a Sugar Bowl in football with a 100+ million dollar budget. Sheesh. Get a grip.

Football isn't everything. Athletics isn't everything. Academics, geography, and demographics matter. Well at least to the Big Ten. I'm not sure they do to the SEC. Florida State isn't good enough for the SEC but not one but two schools in Mississippi are? Florida should just join the ACC then. Academically and demographically they're more of an ACC school than an SEC school and they can actually play men's basketball.

And I'm not big on history. Why are Kansas State, Iowa State, and Mississippi State "good enough" but Illinois State not good enough? Because they were back before most of us were born?

Illinois St. was a teacher's college. It was an Illinois directional with a better name. The 3 you mention are all land grant colleges-originally Kansas A&M, Mississippi A&M-not sure if Iowa St. was an "A&M" or if they were always "State."

That's a good point. In Illinois, the University of Illinois is really the state's flagship and "A&M" school combined into one, which is a large reason why there isn't a second flagship-like university here (unlike Indiana/Purdue, Texas/Texas A&M, Michigan/Michigan State, etc.). It's a similar situation in Wisconsin and Minnesota. In contrast, Iowa State definitely serves as an "A&M" school with having the primary engineering and agriculture programs in its state as opposed to the University of Iowa.

RE: The Great Do-Over - ChrisLords - 02-14-2020 10:00 AM

I also like 16 team conferences. 4 4-team divisions with a championship 3 game series in football and 20 game schedule in basketball. The 9 game schedule in Football is 3 in division and 2 in each other division rotate yearly with no permanent partners so that you play everyone home and away every 4 years.

These didn't turn out well. The ACC and Pac 16 have geographic outliers. The B1G and SEC were pretty logical geographically though.

B1G
-----
East
-----
Connecticut
Maryland
Penn State
Rutgers

Central
----
Indiana
Michigan
Michigan State
Ohio State

North
-----
Illinois
Minnesota
Northwestern
Wisconsin

West
-----
Iowa
Kansas
Nebraska
Oklahoma

SEC
-----
East
-----
Florida
Georgia
South Carolina
North Carolina State

North
-----
Kentucky
Missouri
Tennessee
Vanderbilt

South
-----
Alabama
Auburn
Mississippi
Mississippi State

West
-----
Arkansas
LSU
Oklahoma State
Texas A&M

ACC
-----
North
-----
Boston College
Notre Dame
Pittsburgh
Syracuse

Coastal
-----
Duke
North Carolina
Virginia
Virginia Tech

Atlantic
-----
Cincinnati
Louisville
Texas
Texas Christian

South
-----
Clemson
Florida State
Georgia Tech
Miami

Pac 16
-----
North
-----
Oregon
Oregon state
Washington
Washington State

California
-----
California
Southern California
Stanford
UCLA

Mountain
-----
Arizona
Arizona State
Boise State
UNLV

East
-----
Colorado
Houston
Kansas State
Utah

Independant
-----
Army
BYU
Navy

RE: The Great Do-Over - usffan - 02-14-2020 02:02 PM

LOL - I've been called everything from young to ignorant. I can say that I'm old enough to remember the Gator Flop, and I suspect that most people on this board would have to Google it to even know what I'm talking about. I also know easily > 100 UF alumni and fans. Every one of them I've ever talked about the Mississippi schools with has only mentioned how they're largely a laughingstock.

The point of the exercise was to imagine what these conferences would being constrained to the historical ties. If history were the only driver, Tulane, Georgia Tech and even Sewanee would still be in the SEC. I've heard actual athletic department personnel from Big Ten schools question all of the new additions, and also lament having to play Northwestern. To Frank's point, if presidents were to put this back together, they'd obviously look at things other than purely athletics.

Anyway, this was intended as an exercise to pass the time. Sorry some of you felt it was instead a need to go on ad hominem attacks.

USFFan

RE: The Great Do-Over - Wedge - 02-14-2020 03:20 PM

(02-14-2020 10:00 AM)ChrisLords Wrote:  Pac 12 8
-----
North
-----
Oregon
Oregon state
Washington
Washington State

California
-----
California
Southern California
Stanford
UCLA

Fixed it for you. 07-coffee3

RE: The Great Do-Over - Captain Bearcat - 02-14-2020 04:33 PM

Being a former teaching college is not a dealbreaker.

UCLA was a teacher's college until 1919 (it joined the PCC in 1928). Arizona State was a teacher's college until 1945. Florida State was mostly a teacher's college until 1947.

Also, Illinois State wasn't just a teacher's college. It was the best teacher's college in the country. Still is today. That quality is what has allowed it grow on par with many research institutions over the past 5 years, at a time when most teacher's colleges nationwide have been shrinking.

ISU has 220,000 living alumni, on par with most of the ACC and Big 12.

RE: The Great Do-Over - bullet - 02-14-2020 08:01 PM

(02-14-2020 02:02 PM)usffan Wrote:  LOL - I've been called everything from young to ignorant. I can say that I'm old enough to remember the Gator Flop, and I suspect that most people on this board would have to Google it to even know what I'm talking about. I also know easily > 100 UF alumni and fans. Every one of them I've ever talked about the Mississippi schools with has only mentioned how they're largely a laughingstock.

The point of the exercise was to imagine what these conferences would being constrained to the historical ties. If history were the only driver, Tulane, Georgia Tech and even Sewanee would still be in the SEC. I've heard actual athletic department personnel from Big Ten schools question all of the new additions, and also lament having to play Northwestern. To Frank's point, if presidents were to put this back together, they'd obviously look at things other than purely athletics.

Anyway, this was intended as an exercise to pass the time. Sorry some of you felt it was instead a need to go on ad hominem attacks.

USFFan

You aren't that old. Ole Miss was a power in the 50s/60s and a little in the 70s. Florida was the laughingstock (more of a constantly mediocre than an actual laughingstock). Until Steve Spurrier arrived in 1990, Florida was tied with Vanderbilt and Suwanee in SEC football championships-at zero. Behind Kentucky, Mississippi St., Georgia Tech, Tulane and way behind Ole Miss, UGA, Alabama, Auburn, Tennessee and LSU.

RE: The Great Do-Over - bullet - 02-14-2020 08:03 PM

(02-14-2020 04:33 PM)Captain Bearcat Wrote:  

Being a former teaching college is not a dealbreaker.

UCLA was a teacher's college until 1919 (it joined the PCC in 1928). Arizona State was a teacher's college until 1945. Florida State was mostly a teacher's college until 1947.

Also, Illinois State wasn't just a teacher's college. It was the best teacher's college in the country. Still is today. That quality is what has allowed it grow on par with many research institutions over the past 5 years, at a time when most teacher's colleges nationwide have been shrinking.

ISU has 220,000 living alumni, on par with most of the ACC and Big 12.

The question was why Illinois St. wasn't in the club, but Missippi St., Kansas St. and Iowa St. were. Just because they have the "State" name doesn't mean they were a flagship.

RE: The Great Do-Over - bullet - 02-14-2020 08:05 PM

(02-13-2020 07:24 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  
(02-13-2020 07:08 PM)JRsec Wrote:  There is nothing wrong with the Mississippi schools in the SEC. Both are usually competitive in all sports, both fan bases travel very well, and we like them. Somebody has to be the middle ground in any conference.

Yes, anytime outsiders talk about reconfiguring the SEC, they always mention Ole Miss and Mississippi State, which they view as lucky "dead weight" schools.

This is a feeling shared by basically nobody in the SEC community. The Mississippi schools are founding members of the SEC, they have been playing all the other core SEC members in football since the 1890s, and fit like a glove geographically and culturally. They are an integral part of the SEC, past and present.

The Georgia fans I knew hated losing that every year game vs. Ole Miss when they dropped the 2nd cross-division rivalry game.

RE: The Great Do-Over - DawgNBama - 02-15-2020 05:20 AM

(02-13-2020 06:39 PM)usffan Wrote:  Instead of the people deciding what their dream conference is, imagine instead that somehow all conferences were given the chance to essentially reboot. In this imaginary world, I would have to assume that the first coalitions that would start to re-form would be around the core of the Big Ten (focusing on large midwestern state schools), the SEC (I'm thinking Alabama/Auburn/Florida/Georgia immediately form an alliance), the west coast (USC/UCLA/Cal/Stanford/Oregon/Washington), the southwest (Oklahoma/Texas) and Tobacco Road (UNC/Duke). The question becomes, now freed free to form conferences of the size they wish and without legacy programs, what do you think would become of these conferences?

Personally, I would think the Big Ten lets Rutgers, Maryland, Nebraska and Northwestern and becomes a 10 team conference.

The Pac-12 lets Oregon State and Washington State go and also becomes a 10 team conference.

The SEC has a more substantial reorganization, letting the Mississippi schools, Arkansas and Vanderbilt become free agents and makes a play for Clemson and FSU (both of whom I think would jump at the chance), becoming a 12 team conference. The unknown is what becomes of Mizzou and Texas A&M, because...

I think the Big 12 would drastically change, with Nebraska and Arkansas joining up with Texas, Oklahoma, OK State and Kansas. That's 6 teams, and they'd be able to pick up who they actually want. Could they entice Mizzou and TAMU back for that? Not sure.

The question becomes what becomes of the Tobacco Road schools? I think FSU and Clemson would jump in a heartbeat. Who would they pick up? For sure they'd get back together with Maryland. But how else it would play out would be interesting...

USFFan

Remembering reading about how the SEC was formed, it was inevitable that the Mississippi schools were included. They were close by for many SEC teams, and football wasn't a big deal at Clemson yet (they had John Heisman, and let him go to GT!!!), and Florida State was still a women's college at the time. Vandy was actually pretty good back in the day, and had great academics, which was a can't miss prospect for the SEC presidents. Vandy also a founding SEC member, although I wonder why Vandy fell into such a bad decline.

RE: The Great Do-Over - DawgNBama - 02-15-2020 05:46 AM

And I'm not big on history. Why are Kansas State, Iowa State, and Mississippi State "good enough" but Illinois State not good enough? Because they were back before most of us were borne?

Better question, schmolik: why was the University of Illinois chosen to be both the flagship university for the state of Illinois and the land grant institution for the state of Illinois?? Why wasn't Illinois State made the land grant institution for the state of Illinois???

RE: The Great Do-Over - schmolik - 02-15-2020 06:54 AM

(02-15-2020 05:46 AM)DawgNBama Wrote:  

And I'm not big on history. Why are Kansas State, Iowa State, and Mississippi State "good enough" but Illinois State not good enough? Because they were back before most of us were borne?

Better question, schmolik: why was the University of Illinois chosen to be both the flagship university for the state of Illinois and the land grant institution for the state of Illinois?? Why wasn't Illinois State made the land grant institution for the state of Illinois???

I have no idea. How old do you think I am?

Hey, I'm frustrated certain schools are haves and certain schools are have nots and certain rivals aren't in the same conference (ex. Florida and Florida State) and won't play each other in football (ex Penn State and Pitt). History seems to be the convenient answer for everything ... until Texas A&M left the Big 12 for the SEC (speaking of rivals that won't play each other in football).

RE: The Great Do-Over - bigblueblindness - 02-15-2020 11:09 AM

Back to the OT... I think a Great Do-Over that could have anticipated the power of individual match-ups rather than conference affiliation would value independent scheduling agreements. It is not so much a Dream Conference as in the other thread but rather an appreciation of each individual school's culture, prowess, and interest in the eyes of true rivals.

Auburn is a great example for this scenario. They are considered a top rival to almost half of the existing SEC schools, and all SEC schools "fit" with them at some level. However, if Auburn were given carte blanche to have a Do-Over and pick 10 schools that they would align with for decades upon decades to come, I believe they would make some tweaks. The key to this idea is that the other party has to want you as a top 10 rival for decades and decades to come, as well. Can you see the potential, profitability, and overall institutional benefit to the following 10 opponents each year for Auburn? These are in alphabetical order so that arguments about priority order are avoided:

Alabama
Clemson
Florida
Florida State
Georgia
Georgia Tech (think about ALL the institutional benefits of this relationship, not just football)
LSU
Mississippi State
Tennessee
Texas A&M

JR and other Auburn folks would be a benefit in such conversations that would surely require some compromises, but this list is a group that I believe would also see Auburn as one of their top 10 most coveted opponents. Would Auburn, despite their incredible revenue right now within the SEC, still be able to strike contracts for coverage, licensing, and ticket sales that would approach their real value and even exceed what they currently make? I think so.

We could continue with examples like this from every school, and it would be a fascinating exercise to see how everyone's perceived and actual top 10's would shake out. Naturally, schools would still have games with other schools, but they would be for those 11th and 12th games where Auburn could still occasionally play Oregon, for example. In the age to come where network and cable coverage will not drive viewer interest but rather brand quality and interest, could this not be the truly Great Do-Over?

RE: The Great Do-Over - schmolik - 02-15-2020 11:34 AM

I'm trying to think about doing the same thing for Penn State and Illinois and I'm not sure who would be #1 on either list. I don't know how most Illini think but I'd rather Northwestern not be in the same conference. I personally would like to have Pitt in Penn State's conference but I'm sure many PSU fans/alum don't. I'll bet both Penn State and Illinois want both Ohio State and Michigan though. I would think Illinois would want Missouri.

Maybe if we really wanted a true "do-over", let the real power players be the ones picking.

Big Ten: Ohio State and Michigan
SEC: Alabama
Big 12: Texas and Oklahoma
Pac 12: USC? UCLA?
ACC: North Carolina?

Limit them to 12 teams apiece and the top 60 make the cut in the "P5". Multiple conferences can choose the same school and the school chosen can pick which conference they want, forcing the other conference/school to choose again.

RE: The Great Do-Over - JRsec - 02-15-2020 11:41 AM

(02-15-2020 11:09 AM)bigblueblindness Wrote:  Back to the OT... I think a Great Do-Over that could have anticipated the power of individual match-ups rather than conference affiliation would value independent scheduling agreements. It is not so much a Dream Conference as in the other thread but rather an appreciation of each individual school's culture, prowess, and interest in the eyes of true rivals.

Auburn is a great example for this scenario. They are considered a top rival to almost half of the existing SEC schools, and all SEC schools "fit" with them at some level. However, if Auburn were given carte blanche to have a Do-Over and pick 10 schools that they would align with for decades upon decades to come, I believe they would make some tweaks. The key to this idea is that the other party has to want you as a top 10 rival for decades and decades to come, as well. Can you see the potential, profitability, and overall institutional benefit to the following 10 opponents each year for Auburn? These are in alphabetical order so that arguments about priority order are avoided:

Alabama
Clemson
Florida
Florida State
Georgia
Georgia Tech (think about ALL the institutional benefits of this relationship, not just football)
LSU
Mississippi State
Tennessee
Texas A&M

JR and other Auburn folks would be a benefit in such conversations that would surely require some compromises, but this list is a group that I believe would also see Auburn as one of their top 10 most coveted opponents. Would Auburn, despite their incredible revenue right now within the SEC, still be able to strike contracts for coverage, licensing, and ticket sales that would approach their real value and even exceed what they currently make? I think so.

We could continue with examples like this from every school, and it would be a fascinating exercise to see how everyone's perceived and actual top 10's would shake out. Naturally, schools would still have games with other schools, but they would be for those 11th and 12th games where Auburn could still occasionally play Oregon, for example. In the age to come where network and cable coverage will not drive viewer interest but rather brand quality and interest, could this not be the truly Great Do-Over?

I don't see any great distinctions to be made but have a couple of observations about your list.

The L.S.U. rivalry has developed solely because of our mandated play in the West. You rightly observe that our long held rivals were to the East.

A&M is compelling not so much because sports, but because of common interests the two schools share. Because of that A&M folks and Auburn folks get along pretty well.

Mississippi State is just a long held annual and we appreciate them too. They are solid fans and practical people. Besides if you ever ordered blackberry jelly or preserves from their agriculture outlet you have no clue as to what you're missing. It is the most outstanding blackberry flavor I've ever had! They also produce some great cheese. Too bad you can't get their ice cream through the mail. Truly outstanding!

RE: The Great Do-Over - bigblueblindness - 02-15-2020 02:18 PM

I'll have to find those blackberries next time I am down that way, JR! Just for fun, below would be my 10 selections for the team I follow, Kentucky, applying the same rules I described in the previous post:

Indiana
Louisville
Maryland
Michigan State
North Carolina
Ohio State (this assumes that Ohio State would want to stay regional in their 10 consistent rivals. Like Texas, they could have a powerhouse national schedule if they desired, and we would not make that list.)
Penn State (I believe we would barely make their top 10 just based on lack of quality options for them in their region.)
Tennessee
Virginia Tech
West Virginia

This may surprise some people, but my 11th team as an alternate would be South Carolina. We have built a decent rivalry over the last couple of decades. Georgia would be on our list, but I am not sure that UK would make their top 10 considering the abundance of top notch regional schools for them.

RE: The Great Do-Over - schmolik - 02-15-2020 02:40 PM

(02-15-2020 02:18 PM)bigblueblindness Wrote:  I'll have to find those blackberries next time I am down that way, JR! Just for fun, below would be my 10 selections for the team I follow, Kentucky, applying the same rules I described in the previous post:

Indiana
Louisville
Maryland
Michigan State
North Carolina
Ohio State (this assumes that Ohio State would want to stay regional in their 10 consistent rivals. Like Texas, they could have a powerhouse national schedule if they desired, and we would not make that list.)
Penn State (I believe we would barely make their top 10 just based on lack of quality options for them in their region.)
Tennessee
Virginia Tech
West Virginia

This may surprise some people, but my 11th team as an alternate would be South Carolina. We have built a decent rivalry over the last couple of decades. Georgia would be on our list, but I am not sure that UK would make their top 10 considering the abundance of top notch regional schools for them.

I think the surprise of this list is it contains one SEC team. If you think like most UK fans, you wonder if Kentucky really thinks of themselves at home in the SEC. Obviously with the money they're getting they'd never leave the SEC for the ACC even though it would be a more obvious fit for them being a basketball school. You have five Big Ten schools on your list, I wonder if the Big Ten would be better for Kentucky (although I'm not sure Kentucky's academics would fit in).

Some of these I'm really surprised to hear. I don't even remember the last time Penn State and Kentucky played, it must have been a bowl game. In terms of SEC basketball, Florida's probably the biggest rival most years and they've been the only other SEC school since 2000 to win it all. Also, what about Duke? I still remember the 1992 game and they play at least every three years in the Champions Classic.

RE: The Great Do-Over - bigblueblindness - 02-15-2020 04:33 PM

(02-15-2020 02:40 PM)schmolik Wrote:  
(02-15-2020 02:18 PM)bigblueblindness Wrote:  I'll have to find those blackberries next time I am down that way, JR! Just for fun, below would be my 10 selections for the team I follow, Kentucky, applying the same rules I described in the previous post:

Indiana
Louisville
Maryland
Michigan State
North Carolina
Tennessee
Virginia Tech
West Virginia

I think the surprise of this list is it contains one SEC team. If you think like most UK fans, you wonder if Kentucky really thinks of themselves at home in the SEC. Obviously with the money they're getting they'd never leave the SEC for the ACC even though it would be a more obvious fit for them being a basketball school. You have five Big Ten schools on your list, I wonder if the Big Ten would be better for Kentucky (although I'm not sure Kentucky's academics would fit in).

Some of these I'm really surprised to hear. I don't even remember the last time Penn State and Kentucky played, it must have been a bowl game. In terms of SEC basketball, Florida's probably the biggest rival most years and they've been the only other SEC school since 2000 to win it all. Also, what about Duke? I still remember the 1992 game and they play at least every three years in the Champions Classic.

Good points and questions, schmolik. Below are some responses:

1) The reason for such a lack of SEC schools is that I had to apply the top 10 match rule going both ways. For example, we really enjoy playing Florida, but there are 10 programs geographically between us and them that I think they would understandably prefer over us. Tennessee is the only school that is a no-brainer for an SEC rival with UK in a "Great Do-Over" scenario.
2) As our friends in the state of Georgia can attest, nothing beats good old-fashioned hate. The people of Kentucky are collegial with most states that have SEC schools, but Kentuckians have a plethora of long-standing, ridiculous grudges and rivalries with citizens of Indiana, Ohio, West Virginia, and the "independent state" of Louisville (similar to the state of Illinois compared to the culture of Chicago).
3) UK is quickly gaining ground in the academic realm, but they often suffer in the typical ranking systems from catering to the needs and demands within the state. Their agricultural and equine programs are about as good as it gets, but those are not typically disciplines that move the needle in national rankings or substantial grants. Academic considerations are part of why I chose Michigan State and Virginia Tech and never really considered U of Michigan and U of Virginia. All are great schools, but UK's mission and emphasis fits more with State and Tech.
4) The Great Do-Over assumes that past history would be revised, which is why I included Penn State. Put another way, I think Kentucky and Penn State would be top 10 rivals with each other had they been given the last 80 or so years to develop it. The culture of eastern Kentucky is very much a part of Appalachian culture, which aligns with the non-urban populations that are serviced by Penn State, Virginia Tech, and Maryland. In this vein, West Virginia is a no-brainer, and I wish we would compete with WVU at every possible opportunity. It is a riot, both figuratively and literally!
5) We have an eternal bond with Duke because of "The Shot" from the Duke player who will not be named. Outside of that, UK and Duke have very little in common outside of basketball. We have much more in common with UNC as an institution and athletic department. It is fun to play Duke every once in a while, but I made my list with decades and potentially centuries of a bond, and I just don't see that as a top 10 relationship. It is similar to how we currently stand with Vanderbilt.

What would be PSU's top 10 under the criteria I laid out?