CSNbbs
Where are your priorities? - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt East Team Talk (/forum-289.html)
+----- Forum: Old Dominion (/forum-688.html)
+----- Thread: Where are your priorities? (/thread-894242.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

RE: Where are your priorities? - EverRespect - 02-17-2020 05:43 PM

(02-17-2020 05:31 PM)bench jockey Wrote:  
(02-17-2020 04:24 PM)EverRespect Wrote:  I have a bridge for sale...

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

So let me ask you a couple of questions:

You're saying there was A fund-raising campaign for waterfront stadium, right?

Did you contribute to it? You don't see to much like football program.

If you did, what did ODU say when you asked for your money back?

Your low opinion of Selig seems very personal to me, very personal. Moreso than others here who are critical. No one else has called him a little weasel, among other insults. What's the back story?

At this point you have no credibility with me or, I guess, many others on here. I recall you citing some source regarding the basketball program. I also remember it turning out not to be accurate.
Uh, no, I never claimed a source in the basketball program? You have me confused with someone else.

RE: Where are your priorities? - ODUalum78 - 02-17-2020 06:13 PM

(02-17-2020 05:43 PM)EverRespect Wrote:  

Your low opinion of Selig seems very personal to me, very personal. Moreso than others here who are critical. No one else has called him a little weasel, among other insults. What's the back story?

At this point you have no credibility with me or, I guess, many others on here. I recall you citing some source regarding the basketball program. I also remember it turning out not to be accurate.
Uh, no, I never claimed a source in the basketball program? You have me confused with someone else.

I think maybe he confused that with your stated source within the A10?

RE: Where are your priorities? - EverRespect - 02-17-2020 07:18 PM

(02-17-2020 06:13 PM)ODUalum78 Wrote:  
(02-17-2020 05:43 PM)EverRespect Wrote:  

I think maybe he confused that with your stated source within the A10?

But he said it turned out not to be accurate so it can't be.

RE: Where are your priorities? - bench jockey - 02-17-2020 09:43 PM

Maybe I do have you confused with someone else. Now, for the. Other questions, what say you?

RE: Where are your priorities? - Monarchist13 - 02-18-2020 09:27 AM

(02-17-2020 09:43 PM)bench jockey Wrote:  Maybe I do have you confused with someone else. Now, for the. Other questions, what say you?

They will never get answered, which is why he avoided them in the first response.

RE: Where are your priorities? - JHG722 - 02-18-2020 12:08 PM

(02-14-2020 12:49 PM)Gilesfan Wrote:  
(02-14-2020 12:45 PM)Monarchblue Wrote:  
(02-13-2020 06:52 AM)Grommet Wrote:  
(02-12-2020 11:41 PM)Cyniclone Wrote:  
(02-12-2020 11:23 PM)Monarchblue Wrote:  The VT game was a media blip. I guess you can classify it as exposure, but that exposure was perpetuating the idea that ODU is a crappy little program that shocked the world. We were UMBC not VCU. Build the basketball program to its potential, and there is almost a zero percent chance that football can come close to the brand building that basketball can if both realize their potential.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

College football is by orders of magnitude a bigger deal than college basketball. The TV ratings and media deals bear it out. Early-season football games are still big deals. Unless it's a 1-vs-2 or blood rivalry kind of game, you're not getting that kind of interest or rating for a regular-season basketball game. Things pick up in March, of course, but football in September is a far bigger deal than basketball in December.

Point being, even if ODU basketball can go further in its sport than football, football, by virtue of being on a larger stage, has the potential for more impact in the sports world as a whole. ESPN gave good coverage to ODU's win against VT, but also that wacky finish against WKU and even Heinicke's zillion-yard game against New Hampshire. Way more than it has for anything ODU basketball has done. And while Sportscenter attention is not the only metric, it's a fair leading indicator, I think.

This is accurate. I've posted similar stats within the past six months. Something along the lines of football provides more media dollars for schools than the next eight sports combined, including basketball. I'll try and make a point to find that again later today to make sure my recollection is correct.

RE: MonarchBlue's crappy little program, what would the natl exposure been had we held on vs UVA and beaten 2 ranked P5s in consecutive years (yeah yeah, wish in one hand and **** in the other)

I do get the point that BB can go farther in a Cinderlla story year that FB can, but as someone else pointed out those are 1/50 or worse.
I don't think you get the point. Basketball has the potential to become a top 40 program that is top 25 some years, and make the tournament most years.. Football has the potential to become LA Tech, who nobody gives a crap about outside of CUSA cares about. We would have to move to AAC to do any better than that. Basketball, on the other hand, has seen numerous mid majors break out and become nationally recognizable brands... Football...well there is Boise State I guess.

Some of y'all are delusional about how little the rest of the world cares about CUSA, MAC, Sunbelt football.

Im curious...what all would have to change for us to be a top 40 basketball school? In the last 3 decades, we've been considered at top 40 school exactly one time. Where does all the potential come from that no one can realize?

I think you overestimate how many people care about basketball. College hoops is probably my favorite sport; but LT in football draws in a lot more than a good mid major basketball school. And more people care about LT football than they do Witchita State or Temple or whatever other decent mid major schools.

5 year attendance average, football:

LA Tech: 21,868
Temple: 30,108

2019 attendance:

LA Tech: 20,439
Temple: 29,460

5 year attendance average,basketball:

LA Tech: 3,331
Temple: 6,096

RE: Where are your priorities? - Grommet - 02-18-2020 12:18 PM

Who invited the Pudding Pops?

RE: Where are your priorities? - bit_9 - 02-18-2020 12:45 PM

(02-18-2020 12:18 PM)Grommet Wrote:  Who invited the Pudding Pops?

He's got an alert for the mention of the word Temple I presume. You can setup a google alert for keywords or you can just do a search and then bookmark the URL.

https://csnbbs.com/search.php?action=results&sid=8e0f663eac3d415070a8c416433b57b7&sortby=dateline&order=desc

Then just check that at the end of every day and see where you need to assert your G5 dominance!

RE: Where are your priorities? - JHG722 - 02-18-2020 01:58 PM

(02-18-2020 12:45 PM)bit_9 Wrote:  

He's got an alert for the mention of the word Temple I presume. You can setup a google alert for keywords or you can just do a search and then bookmark the URL.

https://csnbbs.com/search.php?action=results&sid=8e0f663eac3d415070a8c416433b57b7&sortby=dateline&order=desc

Then just check that at the end of every day and see where you need to assert your G5 dominance!

If that's how you interpret correcting someone who was wrong, okay.

RE: Where are your priorities? - Gilesfan - 02-18-2020 02:01 PM

(02-18-2020 12:08 PM)JHG722 Wrote:  
(02-14-2020 12:49 PM)Gilesfan Wrote:  
(02-14-2020 12:45 PM)Monarchblue Wrote:  
(02-13-2020 06:52 AM)Grommet Wrote:  
(02-12-2020 11:41 PM)Cyniclone Wrote:  College football is by orders of magnitude a bigger deal than college basketball. The TV ratings and media deals bear it out. Early-season football games are still big deals. Unless it's a 1-vs-2 or blood rivalry kind of game, you're not getting that kind of interest or rating for a regular-season basketball game. Things pick up in March, of course, but football in September is a far bigger deal than basketball in December.

Point being, even if ODU basketball can go further in its sport than football, football, by virtue of being on a larger stage, has the potential for more impact in the sports world as a whole. ESPN gave good coverage to ODU's win against VT, but also that wacky finish against WKU and even Heinicke's zillion-yard game against New Hampshire. Way more than it has for anything ODU basketball has done. And while Sportscenter attention is not the only metric, it's a fair leading indicator, I think.

This is accurate. I've posted similar stats within the past six months. Something along the lines of football provides more media dollars for schools than the next eight sports combined, including basketball. I'll try and make a point to find that again later today to make sure my recollection is correct.

RE: MonarchBlue's crappy little program, what would the natl exposure been had we held on vs UVA and beaten 2 ranked P5s in consecutive years (yeah yeah, wish in one hand and **** in the other)

I do get the point that BB can go farther in a Cinderlla story year that FB can, but as someone else pointed out those are 1/50 or worse.
I don't think you get the point. Basketball has the potential to become a top 40 program that is top 25 some years, and make the tournament most years.. Football has the potential to become LA Tech, who nobody gives a crap about outside of CUSA cares about. We would have to move to AAC to do any better than that. Basketball, on the other hand, has seen numerous mid majors break out and become nationally recognizable brands... Football...well there is Boise State I guess.

Some of y'all are delusional about how little the rest of the world cares about CUSA, MAC, Sunbelt football.

Im curious...what all would have to change for us to be a top 40 basketball school? In the last 3 decades, we've been considered at top 40 school exactly one time. Where does all the potential come from that no one can realize?

I think you overestimate how many people care about basketball. College hoops is probably my favorite sport; but LT in football draws in a lot more than a good mid major basketball school. And more people care about LT football than they do Witchita State or Temple or whatever other decent mid major schools.

5 year attendance average, football:

LA Tech: 21,868
Temple: 30,108

2019 attendance:

LA Tech: 20,439
Temple: 29,460

5 year attendance average,basketball:

LA Tech: 3,331
Temple: 6,096

What was wrong? Do you think more people care about Temple basketball than LT football?

RE: Where are your priorities? - MonarchManiac - 02-18-2020 02:18 PM

No one cares about Temple. Not now. Not ever.

Temple.

TEMPLE TEMPLE TEMPLE.

I'm going to start writing their name in every post so this guy has to read every one of our threads.

RE: Where are your priorities? - EverRespect - 02-18-2020 02:25 PM

(02-18-2020 09:27 AM)ODUDrunkard13 Wrote:  
(02-17-2020 09:43 PM)bench jockey Wrote:  Maybe I do have you confused with someone else. Now, for the. Other questions, what say you?

They will never get answered, which is why he avoided them in the first response.

Fine...

Quote:You're saying there was A fund-raising campaign for waterfront stadium, right?

Not sure if there was a specific fund-raising campaign for the waterfront stadium, but there were absolutely YouTube videos, marketing and media blitzes promoting the waterfront stadium for at least 3 years and they kept kicking the consultant's report to the right after fundraising benchmarks and records before there was any indication that it just wasn't happening. And after that, it was still going to be a 30-35k masterpiece that we were going to call the "Ted Constant Center of Football" and we continue to raise money off that notion for a number of years before we wound up with a cheap renovation that really didn't add anything to what we already had... we even still have bathroom problems, which was the #1 complaint that we needed to drop $100M to fix ASAP. We all know damn well what Woody was doing and if you claim otherwise, you are either stupid or simply aren't being intellectually honest (and I don't think you are stupid).

As far as the other more personal questions, I don't owe him or anyone else an answer to those. They are personal, irrelevant, and frankly, not likely even being asked in good faith. So yeah, you are right, they will never get answered.

RE: Where are your priorities? - bit_9 - 02-18-2020 02:30 PM

(02-18-2020 01:58 PM)JHG722 Wrote:  
(02-18-2020 12:45 PM)bit_9 Wrote:  

If that's how you interpret correcting someone who was wrong, okay.

Hah, I was poking fun at ya. You have a stigma of swooping in anytime someone mentions Temple. So you swooped in and I poked fun. You randomly drop into another teams forum to drop factoids then you can expect a little ribbing. No hate on my end. 04-cheers

RE: Where are your priorities? - AimHigher - 02-18-2020 02:32 PM

temple who hoo? 07-coffee3

RE: Where are your priorities? - Bean.O - 02-18-2020 02:57 PM

id rather drink gutter water than hear about temple [/align]

RE: Where are your priorities? - odu09 - 02-18-2020 03:19 PM

The best part of the Temple guy coming to drop his "correction" is he didn't even understand the original comment by Giles.

Giles: "LT in football draws in a lot more than a good mid major basketball school."

And brought up Temple as an example.

Thanks to JHG Temple warrior:

Temple basketball: 6k attendance
LT football: 21k attendance

Point proven... thanks?

RE: Where are your priorities? - JHG722 - 02-18-2020 03:40 PM

(02-18-2020 03:19 PM)odu09 Wrote:  The best part of the Temple guy coming to drop his "correction" is he didn't even understand the original comment by Giles.

Giles: "LT in football draws in a lot more than a good mid major basketball school."

Point proven... thanks?

You got it 04-rock

http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/m_basketball_RB/2020/Attendance.pdf

It was a stupid point.

RE: Where are your priorities? - JHG722 - 02-18-2020 03:42 PM

(02-18-2020 02:18 PM)MonarchManiac Wrote:  No one cares about Temple. Not now. Not ever.

Temple.

TEMPLE TEMPLE TEMPLE.

I'm going to start writing their name in every post so this guy has to read every one of our threads.

Do they care about ODU?

RE: Where are your priorities? - Gilesfan - 02-18-2020 03:45 PM

(02-18-2020 03:40 PM)JHG722 Wrote:  
(02-18-2020 03:19 PM)odu09 Wrote:  The best part of the Temple guy coming to drop his "correction" is he didn't even understand the original comment by Giles.

Point proven... thanks?

You got it 04-rock

http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/m_basketball_RB/2020/Attendance.pdf

It was a stupid point.

Of course it was dumb because someone tried to suggest that mid major basketball was as popular as mid major football.

RE: Where are your priorities? - MonarchManiac - 02-18-2020 03:55 PM

(02-18-2020 03:42 PM)JHG722 Wrote:  
(02-18-2020 02:18 PM)MonarchManiac Wrote:  No one cares about Temple. Not now. Not ever.

Temple.

TEMPLE TEMPLE TEMPLE.

Do they care about ODU?

I don't know....do you see an abundance of message board traffic on yall's page from ODU posters? Because that is definitely the barometer of popularity.

Temple