CSNbbs
What does Dayton, or anyone else, have to do to get into the BE? - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: College Sports and Conference Realignment (/forum-637.html)
+---- Thread: What does Dayton, or anyone else, have to do to get into the BE? (/thread-894190.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

RE: What does Dayton, or anyone else, have to do to get into the BE? - CliftonAve - 02-19-2020 09:18 AM

(02-19-2020 09:12 AM)esayem Wrote:  What does Dayton, or anyone else, have to do to get into the BE?

Concerning the original question, I think we know the true answer: David St. has to predict it. 04-wine

He's more concerned about making a prediction that Hiram College and Ohio Wesleyan will be making a move up to the FBS.

RE: What does Dayton, or anyone else, have to do to get into the BE? - IWokeUpLikeThis - 02-19-2020 09:33 AM

Has David mentioned Dayton once? He must know of a flaw that holds Dayton from upward mobility for all of eternity.

RE: What does Dayton, or anyone else, have to do to get into the BE? - Cyniclone - 02-19-2020 12:41 PM

(02-19-2020 09:33 AM)IWokeUpLikeThis Wrote:  Has David mentioned Dayton once? He must know of a flaw that holds Dayton from upward mobility for all of eternity.

Pretty confident that he’s talked about Dayton going FBS from non-schollie FB.

RE: What does Dayton, or anyone else, have to do to get into the BE? - Frank the Tank - 02-19-2020 02:25 PM

(02-15-2020 12:23 PM)panite Wrote:  
(02-11-2020 09:18 PM)CoastalVANDAL Wrote:  
(02-11-2020 07:26 AM)Fighting Muskie Wrote:  It took 2 national title appearances for Butler to get noticed by the A-10 and then the BE.

What does Dayton have to do to prove that they are worthy?

I think the ACC will quit the special treatment for ND all or nothing.

Notre Dame will then join with true independent in football.

I doubt that the ACC will boot ND. Its a great institutional fit with Wake, NC, Duke, and Virginia. It is also a great fit with other OBE schools Pitt, Syracuse, and BC. ND and the ACC are tied together at the hip for the long run even if it's FB program remains independent which it in all likelihood will. 07-coffee3

Agreed. Anytime that I see a comment that suggests that Notre Dame is going to be forced to do anything, I shake my head. The power system *likes* ND because, ultimately, ND makes a lot of money for that power system. That's why they arguably have more power in the CFP process as a single school as the entire G5. No one is forcing ND to do a single thing. It may not always be easy, but ND ultimately controls its own destiny.

RE: What does Dayton, or anyone else, have to do to get into the BE? - Frank the Tank - 02-19-2020 02:30 PM

(02-19-2020 03:45 AM)The Cutter of Bish Wrote:  
(02-18-2020 04:44 PM)torch Wrote:  If the ACC/B1G flirt with MSG again in ~2028 and potentially pose a threat, I could see the addition of Dayton’s fan base as a reaction. Outside of that, I don’t see any other immediate cause for their addition. If the BE wants to make their television package more valuable, Saint Louis is the better option. If they want to expand their footprint into a talent-rich state for recruiting, one of the Richmonds is the better option. It all boils down to the (if any) reason for expansion.

That’s an interesting take on Dayton as leverage for fan interest. That type of selection seems to be the path the Big East at least considers. People talk about the rightness of fit for Creighton over Saint Louis and can’t overlook location...have they been to a Creighton game or see how their people travel? The Big East saw that.

I doubt the conference will invest in a “market school” at this point, having opted for Creighton and now UConn. There may be interest in a twelfth school...still guessing that’s the logistics of Gonzaga. This conference wants quality. It doesn’t need an anchor just because of the zip code it brings.

Not good for Dayton either way, I suspect, unless you need a school that brings fans out.

Yeah, I agree with you there. Besides, the Big East just took the best non-P5 school available with respect to maximizing MSG interest: UConn. I do personally think that SLU is a a great "market school" with potential for the Big East, but SLU is going to need to have Dayton-level performance if it wants to be considered at this point. The addition of UConn to the Big East basically means that the league will keep the 12th spot open in perpetuity until there's another perfect fit on all fronts: there needs to be a great market AND great performance.

RE: What does Dayton, or anyone else, have to do to get into the BE? - Fighting Muskie - 02-19-2020 03:01 PM

(02-19-2020 09:18 AM)CliftonAve Wrote:  
(02-19-2020 09:12 AM)esayem Wrote:  What does Dayton, or anyone else, have to do to get into the BE?

Concerning the original question, I think we know the true answer: David St. has to predict it. 04-wine

He's more concerned about making a prediction that Hiram College and Ohio Wesleyan will be making a move up to the FBS.

Haha.

Ohio Wesleyan is in one of the fastest growing counties in the nation: Delaware Co Ohio so clearly they are 5 yrs away from FBS.

Hiram College had US President James A. Garfield as its president so they clearly belong on the national stage too.

The Big Ten clearly has plans to expel Michigan and Penn St to make room for them.

RE: What does Dayton, or anyone else, have to do to get into the BE? - Fighting Muskie - 02-19-2020 03:07 PM

Top 40 media markets that lack an NBA presence can be an interesting breed of animal. If there is a strong, successful college program in the market they can get a good following.

Pitt is pretty successful in the Pittsburgh market; Cincinnati supports both UC and Xavier well. Memphis used to be the biggest show in town until the Grizzlies showed up and still maintains a lot of support.

St Louis could be that kind of program if they could sustain some success.

RE: What does Dayton, or anyone else, have to do to get into the BE? - OKIcat - 02-19-2020 03:07 PM

Dayton has a fine team this year; great fans and some real basketball tradition. Will ESPN renegotiate the new billion dollar deal with the American to include Dayton basketball? I think not. And the remaining AAC schools won't be interested in a reduced share to subsidize one basketball program. For TV, it's still all (mostly) about football.

Frank the Tank's observation about UCONN's impact for MSG is spot on. It's my understanding that the new Big East has never sold out (all sessions) of the conference tournament since the split. UCONN will help but Syracuse fans were likely the largest cohort and they're gone forever.

Sad to say but UCONN's departure will strengthen the perception of AAC football.

RE: What does Dayton, or anyone else, have to do to get into the BE? - DFW HOYA - 02-19-2020 06:52 PM

(02-19-2020 03:07 PM)OKIcat Wrote:  Frank the Tank's observation about UCONN's impact for MSG is spot on. It's my understanding that the new Big East has never sold out (all sessions) of the conference tournament since the split.

2018: "The conference averaged 18,790 fans at the arena for the duration of its conference tournament last week, filling the Garden to nearly 95 percent capacity. Those figures were better than any of the Power Five conference tournaments, even with two others held in New York — including the Big Ten the previous week at MSG...The Big East sold out the Garden three times in five sessions, while the Big Ten had one sellout in seven sessions and averaged nearly 15,200 fans."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaab/2018/03/16/big-east-beats-power-five-on-conference-tourney-attendance/32988647/

2019: "The 2019 BIG EAST Men’s Basketball Tournament concluded on Saturday night with a 74-72 Villanova victory over Seton Hall, in front of a record sellout crowd of 19,812 – making it the fourth session of the week to post a full sellout.
The four sellouts in five sessions during the championship week are a first for the BIG EAST Conference."

http://www.bigeast.com/mobile/news.aspx?filename=mens-basketball-2019-big-east-championship-caps-banner-attendance-week&file_date=3/16/2019

RE: What does Dayton, or anyone else, have to do to get into the BE? - bill dazzle - 02-20-2020 09:12 AM

(02-19-2020 06:52 PM)DFW HOYA Wrote:  
(02-19-2020 03:07 PM)OKIcat Wrote:  Frank the Tank's observation about UCONN's impact for MSG is spot on. It's my understanding that the new Big East has never sold out (all sessions) of the conference tournament since the split.

2018: "The conference averaged 18,790 fans at the arena for the duration of its conference tournament last week, filling the Garden to nearly 95 percent capacity. Those figures were better than any of the Power Five conference tournaments, even with two others held in New York — including the Big Ten the previous week at MSG...The Big East sold out the Garden three times in five sessions, while the Big Ten had one sellout in seven sessions and averaged nearly 15,200 fans."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaab/2018/03/16/big-east-beats-power-five-on-conference-tourney-attendance/32988647/

2019: "The 2019 BIG EAST Men’s Basketball Tournament concluded on Saturday night with a 74-72 Villanova victory over Seton Hall, in front of a record sellout crowd of 19,812 – making it the fourth session of the week to post a full sellout.
The four sellouts in five sessions during the championship week are a first for the BIG EAST Conference."

http://www.bigeast.com/mobile/news.aspx?filename=mens-basketball-2019-big-east-championship-caps-banner-attendance-week&file_date=3/16/2019

Thanks for posting. Impressive.

RE: What does Dayton, or anyone else, have to do to get into the BE? - GoldenWarrior11 - 02-20-2020 10:38 AM

(02-20-2020 09:12 AM)bill dazzle Wrote:  
(02-19-2020 06:52 PM)DFW HOYA Wrote:  

Thanks for posting. Impressive.

The next step for advancement for the BET at MSG is naturally not to increase the per-game attendance (where it has pretty much maxed out), but rather to expand to include more sessions to increase the overall total of the tournament's attendance. With UConn's return, the Big East gains another game (and, possibly, an additional session). With ten teams, you have nine total games and five sessions for ticket sales. With eleven teams, we will now have ten total games, and possibly six sessions for ticket sales (when the B1G had eleven teams, their opening night - where it had three games - was still considered one session); I'm not sure how MSG/BE will "sell" that additional game.

If the Big East does not expand the sessions offered, that invites - long-term - the league to expand by at least one in order to guarantee to acquire more sessions to sell for both ticket sales and TV content. Going to twelve teams guarantees six sessions. With 14 teams, you guarantee seven sessions (and now including Wednesday for additional games).

The "draw" of Dayton is not necessarily their top-10 program right now (which is great for the school and their program), but rather their passionate and committed fan base that sells out UD Arena (and travels very well to away games). Gaining another passionate basketball fan base could only help the exposure and reach of the Big East (especially with a school like Dayton, that has many alums in BE markets). UConn's addition clearly helps the "top" of the BE; any additional members need to provide value to the middle (and even help elevate the bottom in some way).

I've said it for years, but I do think it is inevitable that both SLU and UD eventually get called-up to the Big East. The conference reorganized and re-established itself from 2013-2019, solidifying itself as a power basketball conference; with UConn coming aboard, it can once again enter a period of growth and expand its reach and perception for the next couple of years (likely until 2024-2025). At that point, expanding once again (and perhaps in increments) to 12, 13 or possibly 14 to maximize its values as the most valuable non-football conference (and one of the best top-to-bottom basketball conferences in the country) seems like a strong possibility.

RE: What does Dayton, or anyone else, have to do to get into the BE? - The Cutter of Bish - 02-20-2020 12:00 PM

(02-20-2020 10:38 AM)GoldenWarrior11 Wrote:  The "draw" of Dayton is not necessarily their top-10 program right now (which is great for the school and their program), but rather their passionate and committed fan base that sells out UD Arena (and travels very well to away games). Gaining another passionate basketball fan base could only help the exposure and reach of the Big East (especially with a school like Dayton, that has many alums in BE markets). UConn's addition clearly helps the "top" of the BE; any additional members need to provide value to the middle (and even help elevate the bottom in some way).

I've said it for years, but I do think it is inevitable that both SLU and UD eventually get called-up to the Big East. The conference reorganized and re-established itself from 2013-2019, solidifying itself as a power basketball conference; with UConn coming aboard, it can once again enter a period of growth and expand its reach and perception for the next couple of years (likely until 2024-2025). At that point, expanding once again (and perhaps in increments) to 12, 13 or possibly 14 to maximize its values as the most valuable non-football conference (and one of the best top-to-bottom basketball conferences in the country) seems like a strong possibility.

I guess the question I have is...why is St. Louis, not the school/program, but actual market so important than, say, Richmond, Charlotte, Louisville, Buffalo, Pittsburgh, Boston, or any other place not currently housing a Big East school?

For all we know, SLU could face the same hypothetical resistance as Dayton. That schools like Creighton, Butler, Marquette, and DePaul could have no problems drawing from the region for recruiting purposes?

I know SLU is better than programs like Richmond, Davidson, etc., but, I can't not look at how a conference wouldn't want to settle down in an area that bleeds for the sport. Someone closer to Louisville, or in the Carolinas...or, heck, further stockpile in the northeast (east of Ohio).

I look at SLU and UD about the same, I guess. One's definitely a better program, but neither really do ultimately that much more for the conference? Is that wrong or bad to feel?

RE: What does Dayton, or anyone else, have to do to get into the BE? - bill dazzle - 02-20-2020 12:41 PM

(02-20-2020 12:00 PM)The Cutter of Bish Wrote:  
(02-20-2020 10:38 AM)GoldenWarrior11 Wrote:  The "draw" of Dayton is not necessarily their top-10 program right now (which is great for the school and their program), but rather their passionate and committed fan base that sells out UD Arena (and travels very well to away games). Gaining another passionate basketball fan base could only help the exposure and reach of the Big East (especially with a school like Dayton, that has many alums in BE markets). UConn's addition clearly helps the "top" of the BE; any additional members need to provide value to the middle (and even help elevate the bottom in some way).

I guess the question I have is...why is St. Louis, not the school/program, but actual market so important than, say, Richmond, Charlotte, Louisville, Buffalo, Pittsburgh, Boston, or any other place not currently housing a Big East school?

For all we know, SLU could face the same hypothetical resistance as Dayton. That schools like Creighton, Butler, Marquette, and DePaul could have no problems drawing from the region for recruiting purposes?

I know SLU is better than programs like Richmond, Davidson, etc., but, I can't not look at how a conference wouldn't want to settle down in an area that bleeds for the sport. Someone closer to Louisville, or in the Carolinas...or, heck, further stockpile in the northeast (east of Ohio).

I look at SLU and UD about the same, I guess. One's definitely a better program, but neither really do ultimately that much more for the conference? Is that wrong or bad to feel?

One key reason for the Big East to invite SLU is that it's a Catholic university. Notwithstanding Butler (which has a Methodist history) and UConn, the BE is a Catholic league. And that is one of the main reasons I like it. I strongly favor the BE adding SLU, Dayton and, for example, Duquesne.

For the Big East, I simply prefer 12 over 11 and 14 over 12. But 14 would/should be the max. And I strongly favor future additions being Catholic schools. UConn (for obvious reasons) was an exception, and I understand the Butler add (tremendous history, arena and fan base in a very underrated city with a "basketball culture").

RE: What does Dayton, or anyone else, have to do to get into the BE? - Fighting Muskie - 02-20-2020 02:32 PM

Let’s say the Big East has 5 teams in the tournament and the ACC has 7. Both conferences got 50% of their schools into the dance but to the casual viewer the ACC’s 7 schools appears to be a far better showing than the Big East’s 5.

For reasons like that I think the Big East is better off as a larger conference than a smaller one. If you can bring other likeminded institutions into the fold that fit the geographic footprint and are consistent performers in basketball you’re going to boost you’re total number of bids and appear more on par with the large 14 member conferences like the ACC, Big Ten, and SEC.

I think Dayton and St Louis can help with that in the Midwest and on the East Coast someone like Richmond, VCU, UMass, or a Catholic school like Duquesne could enhance the overall image of the conference.

Presto! 14 team conference.

RE: What does Dayton, or anyone else, have to do to get into the BE? - GoldenWarrior11 - 02-20-2020 03:16 PM

(02-20-2020 12:00 PM)The Cutter of Bish Wrote:  

It's a combination of factors.

St. Louis is a top-25 media market, not unlike Charlotte, Boston or Pittsburgh, within not just a strong recruiting state for basketball (especially the city and surrounding area). SLU really creates a bridge with Creighton (Omaha) for travel purposes (more for Olympic sports). SLU has strong alumni numbers in BE cities, and is very much an institutional peer with Georgetown, Marquette, Creighton and Xavier (Jesuit).

Davidson, as a liberal arts college, is too small and not in a big enough city to be seriously considered for the BE, IMO. Most of their home games are between 3k-4k, which is not big enough - and their arena would be by far the smallest default arena in the conference.

Boston lacks the basketball history and resources to be seriously considered. They are an elite academic institution, along with incredibly high endowment, that would definitely intrigue the Presidents, but they wouldn't add any value to the basketball programs. They, too, have incredibly small arena.

Richmond was an interesting case in 2012. They do have a lot of positives - Private, strong academics, high endowment, basketball commitment - but I seem to remember reading that Georgetown was against their add (I could be wrong, however). If the BE really wanted the Richmond market, why not get the better basketball program readily available (VCU)?

Again, the TV market is just one box that ultimately gets checked for expansion candidates. SLU checks a lot of the boxes. The only one it truly lacks is the sustained and competitive men's basketball program (which Majerus started building, and Ford appears to be building again). They are an institutional, academic, athletic and geographic fit with the BE (much like UD). They don't need to be a Sweet 16 threat every year by any stretch, but I think very much the powers-that-be want to see them become a contender for the A10 annually.

RE: What does Dayton, or anyone else, have to do to get into the BE? - The Cutter of Bish - 02-20-2020 03:17 PM

(02-20-2020 12:41 PM)bill dazzle Wrote:  One key reason for the Big East to invite SLU is that it's a Catholic university. Notwithstanding Butler (which has a Methodist history) and UConn, the BE is a Catholic league. And that is one of the main reasons I like it. I strongly favor the BE adding SLU, Dayton and, for example, Duquesne.

For the Big East, I simply prefer 12 over 11 and 14 over 12. But 14 would/should be the max. And I strongly favor future additions being Catholic schools. UConn (for obvious reasons) was an exception, and I understand the Butler add (tremendous history, arena and fan base in a very underrated city with a "basketball culture").

They've opened their doors to non-Catholic schools. To me, the "Catholic" affiliation thing doesn't mean much.

I mean, if you want to go into other "unclaimed" cities by way of the Catholic school, you have them in Detroit, Pittsburgh, and soon to be in Louisville. The territory mustn't be that important to reach into those cities for such "similar" programs; the programs themselves don't add much to the conference.

Conversely, I think the affiliation with UConn will be the one-time-only thing the conference will do with a public school. Or, it's going to take more than a UMass, VCU, or Wichita State to move that needle any.

RE: What does Dayton, or anyone else, have to do to get into the BE? - GoldenWarrior11 - 02-20-2020 03:37 PM

(02-20-2020 03:17 PM)The Cutter of Bish Wrote:  
(02-20-2020 12:41 PM)bill dazzle Wrote:  One key reason for the Big East to invite SLU is that it's a Catholic university. Notwithstanding Butler (which has a Methodist history) and UConn, the BE is a Catholic league. And that is one of the main reasons I like it. I strongly favor the BE adding SLU, Dayton and, for example, Duquesne.

They've opened their doors to non-Catholic schools. To me, the "Catholic" affiliation thing doesn't mean much.

I mean, if you want to go into other "unclaimed" cities by way of the Catholic school, you have them in Detroit, Pittsburgh, and soon to be in Louisville. The territory mustn't be that important to reach into those cities for such "similar" programs; the programs themselves don't add much to the conference.

Conversely, I think the affiliation with UConn will be the one-time-only thing the conference will do with a public school. Or, it's going to take more than a UMass, VCU, or Wichita State to move that needle any.

UConn's return highlighted this important criteria for Big East moving forward: it is a collection of like-minded schools (basketball-first, no football), with a history of on-court success, that play in large arenas, that is rooted very much in NYC. In this regard, UConn is very much a peer institution, despite not being a Private school, to the Big East. If you have had historical success in basketball, continue to make the investments and commit resources to it, and have fans/alumni that can fill your arena up and travel well (especially to the BET), you can be considered an expansion candidate for the BE.

RE: What does Dayton, or anyone else, have to do to get into the BE? - bill dazzle - 02-20-2020 04:39 PM

(02-20-2020 02:32 PM)Fighting Muskie Wrote:  Let’s say the Big East has 5 teams in the tournament and the ACC has 7. Both conferences got 50% of their schools into the dance but to the casual viewer the ACC’s 7 schools appears to be a far better showing than the Big East’s 5.

For reasons like that I think the Big East is better off as a larger conference than a smaller one. If you can bring other likeminded institutions into the fold that fit the geographic footprint and are consistent performers in basketball you’re going to boost you’re total number of bids and appear more on par with the large 14 member conferences like the ACC, Big Ten, and SEC.

I think Dayton and St Louis can help with that in the Midwest and on the East Coast someone like Richmond, VCU, UMass, or a Catholic school like Duquesne could enhance the overall image of the conference.

Presto! 14 team conference.

Bingo. And if the five comprehensive power conferences get reduced to four and each goes to 16 teams ... And each of the four lands, say, nine to 11 teams each year in the tourney compared to the 11-team Big East getting, say, five to seven ... the perception thing becomes even more glaring. A 14-team Big East will get seven to eight (and maybe even nine) every year.

RE: What does Dayton, or anyone else, have to do to get into the BE? - gosports1 - 02-20-2020 06:32 PM

Nobody mention Davids name again. Once more and he will appear like beetlejuice or Candyman!

RE: What does Dayton, or anyone else, have to do to get into the BE? - trephin - 02-20-2020 09:56 PM

(02-20-2020 03:16 PM)GoldenWarrior11 Wrote:  SLU really creates a bridge with Creighton (Omaha) for travel purposes (more for Olympic sports).

It's 6-7 hrs drive from SLU to Creighton. Not sure how that helps. If flying, then "a bridge" is even less relevant

Quote:Davidson, as a liberal arts college, is too small and not in a big enough city to be seriously considered for the BE, IMO. Most of their home games are between 3k-4k, which is not big enough - and their arena would be by far the smallest default arena in the conference.

Davidson is small and likely isn't even top 4 in popularity in it's city. How fervent is the fan base? Does it extend beyond students and alum? It's city isn't a problem. Charlotte is big enough for the BE. Charlotte is larger than St Louis and is slightly gaining population/ St Louis is declning (as is Pittsburgh). By metro area, St Louis is larger by approximately 500,000. If markets remains a factor then population growth has to be part of that evaluation.

I like SLU's potential and if the BE decides to expand to 12, I'd think being (Mid)Western would be in it's favor (there's always been speculation that there is a desire to maintain East-West balance not so much for travel but for influence). Conversely being more East I think hurts VA area schools' chances.

And Dayton is not likely ever to be invited as long as Xavier is in conference.

What would force the BE off it's double round robin? MSG has been filled and UConn provides additional security. Additional inventory for the BET/MSG? I suppose that's a plus but doubtful would drive expansion. TV inventory? Bigger name TV matchups? Does any aforementioned potential additions provide Fox enough reason to pressure the confernce? (doubtful).

As an aside, in terms of TV, isn't Fox already in St Louis? There isn't carriage fees at stake so not sure if TV market really adds to SLU's resume.