CSNbbs
New FBS programs in the coming decade - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: College Sports and Conference Realignment (/forum-637.html)
+---- Thread: New FBS programs in the coming decade (/thread-893881.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

RE: New FBS programs in the coming decade - esayem - 02-09-2020 08:37 PM

(02-09-2020 07:21 PM)The Cutter of Bish Wrote:  The committee is going to have a tough time with the A10 beyond Dayton. Rhodie is only some good losses and two games over VCU. VCU is just that LSU win.

If they get three, I would be stunned. Then again, you have some teams elsewhere playing themselves out of this thing. Wichita comes to mind...

They were talking about 11 teams from the Big Ten today. I guess recent events don’t matter, because Ohio State is not a tournament caliber team at this point. Neither is Wisconsin or Minnesota.

What the committee will do is going to be interesting this year because the ACC—which usually puts in 8 to 10—looks to only have about 5 deserving teams: FSU, Louisville, Duke, Virginia, and Syracuse.

RE: New FBS programs in the coming decade - The Cutter of Bish - 02-09-2020 08:44 PM

(02-09-2020 08:33 PM)esayem Wrote:  
(02-09-2020 08:27 PM)BePcr07 Wrote:  
(02-09-2020 07:23 PM)The Cutter of Bish Wrote:  
(02-09-2020 12:07 PM)bullet Wrote:  
(02-09-2020 10:45 AM)The Cutter of Bish Wrote:  Even as an A10 fan, I have a sliver of concern about a significant shakeup for the conference. Not that the conference itself dies, but that it will permanently join the ranks of the single-bid population.

At best, a raided A10 stands pat, but probably without one or two of its best contributors. At worst, it becomes a more identifiable CAA or MAAC hybrid.

I could see the AAC going after Dayton. And would St. Louis stay with the westernmost other program being in Pittsburgh?

Where would they go? To them, MVC is a downgrade.

Would CUSA be a downgrade? Saint Louis is quite the geographic outlier for the A-10

They are an institutional fit and have loads of money, so they’ll stay put. They would be a solid geographic fit for the AAC and give the conference a great central location for their tourney.

I feel like SLU may as well be Rice or Tulane. The upsides and potential are in your face, but the product? You assume a lot of risk.

No doubt that had the program committed to success pre- and post-Majerus, they’d be in the Big East, and not Creighton.

AAC would be interesting...I think Dayton and VCU are higher on the list, though.

RE: New FBS programs in the coming decade - esayem - 02-09-2020 09:19 PM

(02-09-2020 08:44 PM)The Cutter of Bish Wrote:  
(02-09-2020 08:33 PM)esayem Wrote:  
(02-09-2020 12:07 PM)bullet Wrote:  I could see the AAC going after Dayton. And would St. Louis stay with the westernmost other program being in Pittsburgh?

Would CUSA be a downgrade? Saint Louis is quite the geographic outlier for the A-10

They are an institutional fit and have loads of money, so they’ll stay put. They would be a solid geographic fit for the AAC and give the conference a great central location for their tourney.

I feel like SLU may as well be Rice or Tulane. The upsides and potential are in your face, but the product? You assume a lot of risk.

No doubt that had the program committed to success pre- and post-Majerus, they’d be in the Big East, and not Creighton.

AAC would be interesting...I think Dayton and VCU are higher on the list, though.

No doubt. Majerus had them rolling, and they were a legit contender under his assistant the year after he passed. It would have been interesting to see what that team did under his tutelage.

I think the location of St. Louis is absolutely ideal for that conference as the Gateway to the West.

RE: New FBS programs in the coming decade - bullet - 02-09-2020 09:38 PM

(02-09-2020 10:45 AM)The Cutter of Bish Wrote:  Even as an A10 fan, I have a sliver of concern about a significant shakeup for the conference. Not that the conference itself dies, but that it will permanently join the ranks of the single-bid population.

At best, a raided A10 stands pat, but probably without one or two of its best contributors. At worst, it becomes a more identifiable CAA or MAAC hybrid.

I could see the AAC going after Dayton. And would St. Louis stay with the westernmost other program being in Pittsburgh?

Historically, the MVC is pretty comparable, but they have been down for a few years. Historically, the MVC has been stronger than the MAC. And the fan support is vastly higher than the A10. MVC would be the only viable alternative unless the AAC or Big East invited them.

RE: New FBS programs in the coming decade - DawgNBama - 02-10-2020 04:27 AM

SLU wouldn't even fit in the current C-USA, and that's not a slam on St. Louis. Rather, it's because C-USA is an allsports conference, and SLU has no football.

RE: New FBS programs in the coming decade - The Cutter of Bish - 02-10-2020 06:30 AM

(02-09-2020 09:38 PM)bullet Wrote:  

Historically, the MVC is pretty comparable, but they have been down for a few years. Historically, the MVC has been stronger than the MAC. And the fan support is vastly higher than the A10. MVC would be the only viable alternative unless the AAC or Big East invited them.

I agree, and SLU was a member until the 70's. Some disregard that old saying "you can't go home again," but others see it as failure.

To me, I would have thought the way Creighton and Wichita State propelled into higher places from the MVC would be comfort that while the MVC isn't the bid-generator the A10 is, the MVC still has good schools within it, and could be a multi-bid conference on good years. I understand wanting to be in the best conference possible, but, SLU's conundrum is that they still want to be somewhere better than where they currently are, and their body of work doesn't support that "advancement opportunity."

I do think SLU could own the MVC if they were there. Then again, they should have been a consistent top-tier A10 performer all the while, too.

RE: New FBS programs in the coming decade - ken d - 02-10-2020 07:50 AM

(02-10-2020 06:30 AM)The Cutter of Bish Wrote:  

I agree, and SLU was a member until the 70's. Some disregard that old saying "you can't go home again," but others see it as failure.

To me, I would have thought the way Creighton and Wichita State propelled into higher places from the MVC would be comfort that while the MVC isn't the bid-generator the A10 is, the MVC still has good schools within it, and could be a multi-bid conference on good years. I understand wanting to be in the best conference possible, but, SLU's conundrum is that they still want to be somewhere better than where they currently are, and their body of work doesn't support that "advancement opportunity."

I do think SLU could own the MVC if they were there. Then again, they should have been a consistent top-tier A10 performer all the while, too.

To me, St. Louis is a perfect fit for the Big East, which now has an odd number of schools with the addition of UConn. They would be joining fellow midwestern Jesuit schools Creighton, Marquette, and Xavier along with DePaul and Butler in a six team western division. The Big East doesn't need more national championship contenders (which SLU probably wouldn't be) but they are a solid middle of the conference team in that power league.

RE: New FBS programs in the coming decade - BruceMcF - 02-10-2020 09:59 AM

(02-09-2020 04:05 PM)bullet Wrote:  
(02-09-2020 01:59 PM)BruceMcF Wrote:  If you did a "basketball fan" weighted rating, it would NOT be a simple average, or a median weighted averaged, it would be more like 14 or 12 points times the ranking of the top school, down to 1 point times the ranking of the bottom school, divided by the total number of points (/78 for the 12 schools in the MAC, /105 for the 14 schools in the A10), and the A10 would come out on top of that ranking.

But from the standpoint of the tourney, those bottom teams drag down the strength of schedule for the wild card berths.

You are arguing like that it a hypothetical. 5 of the A10 schools are in the top 75 NET NOW, so an away win is a Quadrant 1 win and a home win is a Quadrant II win (or I for Dayton, but not a lot of schools are doing that). ...
... and that is despite those bottom teams being in there NOW.

I expect that the top A-10 schools build their schedule knowing that there are going to be those stinkers showing up in the conference schedule so they have to organize their OOC games to offset that issue.

And how many MAC schools are in that top 75 territory? Well, with Akron at 88, that'd be a 0.

Unlike the A-10, in the MAC, if you want to be an at-large contender, you better bring that ranking into conference play with you, as Buffalo did last year, and then not spill your drink in conference play. You won't have a chance to start outside of the bubble and work your way into the bubble with a good run of conference results.

It would be great if the MAC really could narrow the gap between itself and the A-10, but it's not going to do it by looking at a ranking like Sagarin's conference average and using that as a benchmark of it's progress.

RE: New FBS programs in the coming decade - The Cutter of Bish - 02-10-2020 11:04 AM

(02-10-2020 07:50 AM)ken d Wrote:  
(02-09-2020 12:07 PM)bullet Wrote:  I could see the AAC going after Dayton. And would St. Louis stay with the westernmost other program being in Pittsburgh?

To me, St. Louis is a perfect fit for the Big East, which now has an odd number of schools with the addition of UConn. They would be joining fellow midwestern Jesuit schools Creighton, Marquette, and Xavier along with DePaul and Butler in a six team western division. The Big East doesn't need more national championship contenders (which SLU probably wouldn't be) but they are a solid middle of the conference team in that power league.

I know they fit the academic profile better than others, but, why them over Detroit? Or, wait a few years, and Bellarmine (and now you get back into Louisville and the hoops-crazed region)?

The one I've wondered about as Big East material was Davidson. You push south, but stay in the east. You're in a basketball-minded state, and you pick up a good academic partner in a Charlotte-region school. The downsides for Davidson are its venue, and relative relevance.

To me, you could find an urban private school anywhere in this country, squint hard enough, and find their fit in any conference. And while not everyone will be a winner, do you expand to grab any loser just because of the zip code?

I think SLU was on the Big East track. They got left behind in CUSA, not picked up by the Big East, and then fell into near obscurity in the A10 until Majerus made them somewhat relevant again (I'd argue it was more him than the actual team). It's that lack of success that is probably withholding them from the Big East. To me, they don't want to settle for another basement-level team. They want someone who has a spark of competitiveness in them.

On a side note, could it be maybe DePaul, Marquette, and now Creighton don't want SLU there because of any recruiting competition in the same way some Big Ten schools didn't want Missouri "on their turf?"

RE: New FBS programs in the coming decade - FloridaJag - 02-10-2020 11:19 AM

I say

Kennesaw State
UT Arlington
Northern Arizona
UC Davis
Sacramento State
Cal Poly
Florida A&M
North Carolina A&T
West Florida
Florida Gulf Coast
North Florida

RE: New FBS programs in the coming decade - FloridaJag - 02-10-2020 12:09 PM

I think the shake up begins with the SEC going to 16 teams by inviting Oklahoma and Oklahoma State.

SEC WEST

Arkansas
Louisiana State
Mississippi
Mississippi State
Missouri State
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State
Texas A&M

SEC EAST

Alabama
Auburn
Florida
Georgia
Kentucky
South Carolina
Tennessee
Vanderbilt

The Big Ten and Notre Dame make up, Notre Dame accepts invite. Invite given either Iowa State or Boston College. I imagine that Iowa State get the call.

Big Ten West

Indiana
Illinois
Iowa
Iowa State
Minnesota
Northwestern
Nebraska
Wisconsin

Maryland
Michigan
Michigan State
Notre Dame
Ohio State
Penn State
Purdue
Rutgers

Forcing the Big 12 to add members. Invites go out to Houston, Memphis, Rice, SMU and Cincinnati to get to 12 members

Big 12 West
Kansas
Kansas State
TCU
SMU
Texas
Texas Tech

Big 12 East
Baylor
Cincinnati
Houston
Memphis
Rice
West Virginia

After that, my vision gets cloudy. 04-cheers 04-cheers

RE: New FBS programs in the coming decade - BePcr07 - 02-10-2020 12:55 PM

(02-10-2020 12:09 PM)FloridaJag Wrote:  I think the shake up begins with the SEC going to 16 teams by inviting Oklahoma and Oklahoma State.

SEC WEST

Arkansas
Louisiana State
Mississippi
Mississippi State
Missouri State
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State
Texas A&M

SEC EAST

Alabama
Auburn
Florida
Georgia
Kentucky
South Carolina
Tennessee
Vanderbilt

The Big Ten and Notre Dame make up, Notre Dame accepts invite. Invite given either Iowa State or Boston College. I imagine that Iowa State get the call.

Big Ten West

Indiana
Illinois
Iowa
Iowa State
Minnesota
Northwestern
Nebraska
Wisconsin

Maryland
Michigan
Michigan State
Notre Dame
Ohio State
Penn State
Purdue
Rutgers

Forcing the Big 12 to add members. Invites go out to Houston, Memphis, Rice, SMU and Cincinnati to get to 12 members

Big 12 West
Kansas
Kansas State
TCU
SMU
Texas
Texas Tech

Big 12 East
Baylor
Cincinnati
Houston
Memphis
Rice
West Virginia

Super impressed by your boldness but skeptical about “Missouri State” lol

RE: New FBS programs in the coming decade - FloridaJag - 02-10-2020 01:20 PM

(02-10-2020 12:55 PM)BePcr07 Wrote:  
(02-10-2020 12:09 PM)FloridaJag Wrote:  I think the shake up begins with the SEC going to 16 teams by inviting Oklahoma and Oklahoma State.

SEC WEST

Arkansas
Louisiana State
Mississippi
Mississippi State
Missouri State
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State
Texas A&M

SEC EAST

Alabama
Auburn
Florida
Georgia
Kentucky
South Carolina
Tennessee
Vanderbilt

Big Ten West

Indiana
Illinois
Iowa
Iowa State
Minnesota
Northwestern
Nebraska
Wisconsin

Maryland
Michigan
Michigan State
Notre Dame
Ohio State
Penn State
Purdue
Rutgers

Big 12 West
Kansas
Kansas State
TCU
SMU
Texas
Texas Tech

Big 12 East
Baylor
Cincinnati
Houston
Memphis
Rice
West Virginia

Super impressed by your boldness but skeptical about “Missouri State” lol

At the moment, can we tell the difference?

RE: New FBS programs in the coming decade - MissouriStateBears - 02-10-2020 01:30 PM

I do think SLU could own the MVC if they were there.

SLU all time vs. Valley schools
Bradley 27-43
Drake 53-30
Evansville 15-14
Illinois State 5-7
Indiana State 12-5
Loyola 22-24
Missouri State 7-15
Southern Illinois 31-27
Valparaiso 4-5
176-170 All Time

*No games against UNI

RE: New FBS programs in the coming decade - BraveKnight - 02-10-2020 02:09 PM

SEC WEST

Arkansas
Louisiana State
Mississippi
Mississippi State
Missouri State
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State
Texas A&M

SEC EAST

Alabama
Auburn
Florida
Georgia
Kentucky
South Carolina
Tennessee
Vanderbilt

Big Ten West

Indiana
Illinois
Iowa
Iowa State
Minnesota
Northwestern
Nebraska
Wisconsin

Maryland
Michigan
Michigan State
Notre Dame
Ohio State
Penn State
Purdue
Rutgers

Big 12 West
Kansas
Kansas State
TCU
SMU
Texas
Texas Tech

Big 12 East
Baylor
Cincinnati
Houston
Memphis
Rice
West Virginia

Why would the B12 add 3 more Texas schools? Especially when 2 of them are in the same city.
This would be more realistic:

West
Kansas
Kansas State
TCU
Texas
Texas Tech
Baylor

East
Houston
West Virginia
Memphis
Cincinnati
UCF
USF

RE: New FBS programs in the coming decade - The Cutter of Bish - 02-10-2020 03:36 PM

(02-10-2020 01:30 PM)MissouriStateBears Wrote:  SLU all time vs. Valley schools
Bradley 27-43
Drake 53-30
Evansville 15-14
Illinois State 5-7
Indiana State 12-5
Loyola 22-24
Missouri State 7-15
Southern Illinois 31-27
Valparaiso 4-5
176-170 All Time

*No games against UNI

I think that's fair, but is it in full context? Maybe how they did against any current MVC members while an A10 member?

RE: New FBS programs in the coming decade - Cyniclone - 02-10-2020 03:42 PM

(02-08-2020 02:41 PM)bullet Wrote:  
(02-07-2020 03:59 PM)Cyniclone Wrote:  
(02-07-2020 03:45 PM)bullet Wrote:  
(02-07-2020 03:04 PM)e-parade Wrote:  
(02-07-2020 02:00 PM)RutgersGuy Wrote:  That would be huge for both the MAC and UConn. Those two could become legit football rivals.

We're already scheduling to play every season.

Also "A-10 continues to fade" is a bit much. Is it the heyday? No, but still clearly in the mix for top non-Power conferences and can have top seeds in the tournament (Dayton projects to be a 2 seed, and at this point there are likely going to be 3 A10 teams, and maybe a 4th if a bid is stolen in the conference tournament).

Dayton and St. Louis have good facilities. But most of the Atlantic 10 plays in gyms that would embarrass an Indiana high school. So if they don't have consistently stronger programs than the MAC, there's no reason for UMass to stay.

I'd take Dayton, VCU, St. Louis, Richmond, Rhode Island and Davidson over any MAC program every day. St. Bonaventure, St. Joseph's and GW are probably at the top tier of MAC schools, and George Mason and Duquesne aren't far behind (the Duquesne coach left FROM the MAC to be there). The MAC hasn't had an at-large team since 1999. The A-10 could have as many as four this season if everything breaks their way, but they'll have at least one and probably more.

The A-10 is significantly better than the MAC, has been for a long time and will be for the foreseeable future. There's a reason UMass left the MAC in football instead of the A-10 in everything else.

Historically, yes. But this year Sagarin has the MAC at #11 at 74.35 and A10 at 12 at 73.25. As I recall, the MAC was rated higher than the A10 last year as well. And historically, the A10 had Temple, UNCC and Xavier and also Butler for a short time.

I don't put much weight in conference RPI/NET/Sagarin/etc. because they're as likely to gauge the quality of the bottom of a conference as it is the top, when to fans, you're judged by who has the best teams, not the best worst teams. Case in point: The CAA was ahead of the WCC in the final 2017-18 conference RPI, but you would be hard pressed to call the CAA a "better" basketball conference even if their cellar dwellers had better metrics.

The MAC hasn't had an at-large team since 1999. Even in their worst years, the A-10 gets at least one, and when they're on, they'll get as many as four or five. I think to most people, that holds a lot more weight than a fraction of a fraction of a number from a formula.

RE: New FBS programs in the coming decade - MUsince96 - 02-10-2020 03:57 PM

(02-10-2020 07:50 AM)ken d Wrote:  

I think they want to remain at an odd number to play a double round robin.

RE: New FBS programs in the coming decade - IWokeUpLikeThis - 02-10-2020 04:47 PM

Dayton >>> Saint Louis

Go to a game at each arena. The two fan bases aren't even close.

RE: New FBS programs in the coming decade - esayem - 02-10-2020 07:37 PM

(02-10-2020 04:47 PM)IWokeUpLikeThis Wrote:  Dayton >>> Saint Louis

Go to a game at each arena. The two fan bases aren't even close.

Dayton wasn’t invited to C-USA and St. Louis was.

What makes you think Cincinnati or Xavier would want to share a conference with Dayton again, and give them a level playing field?