CSNbbs
I'm starting to get delusional again - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: OVCbbs (/forum-17.html)
+---- Forum: Ohio Valley Team Talk (/forum-784.html)
+----- Forum: Little Rock (/forum-291.html)
+----- Thread: I'm starting to get delusional again (/thread-893737.html)

I'm starting to get delusional again - mjs - 02-04-2020 05:42 PM

When we moved into Alltel arena I remember posting that this gave us the opportunity to become the "big time" program we all want. We would have a home arena comparable to any program in the country, easily accessible to half a million people. We had just hired an Arkansas legend as head coach. The plate was set. Of course that didn't pan out.
A few years ago, a 30 win season, a few packed houses, and an all-world coach got me once again thinking about the possibility of moving into the big-time. But, in all honesty, this might be our best chance ever. Darrell has clearly put together the best team in the Sun Belt conference in his second season. Every contributor could be back next year which would make us the clear favorite to win the league (again?). Folks will eventually come out if we win big. Darrell insists he loves Little Rock and isn't going anywhere. He could potentially do for the men what Foley did for the women. A great coach, builds a program, and sticks around for the rest of his career. The odds may still be against this happening, but it doesn't hurt any to dream.

RE: I'm starting to get delusional again - Robert C - 02-04-2020 06:03 PM

just wait for it...someone will come and knock that cup of Kool Aid outta your hand!

RE: I'm starting to get delusional again - MICHAELSPAPPY - 02-04-2020 06:33 PM

Kool Aid costs very little.

How many non-Big Six programs are there who are big time? You can count them on one hand, and probably won't need all your fingers. But again, it costs nothing to think big.

RE: I'm starting to get delusional again - mjs - 02-04-2020 11:37 PM

Without researching it, I would bet those few programs had coaches who committed and stayed awhile to build something special. I think Darrell wants to do that. Doesn't mean he will, but it is within the realm of possibility.

RE: I'm starting to get delusional again - since74 - 02-04-2020 11:39 PM

(02-04-2020 11:37 PM)mjs Wrote:  Without researching it, I would bet those few programs had coaches who committed and stayed awhile to build something special. I think Darrell wants to do that. Doesn't mean he will, but it is within the realm of possibility.

Mark Few is the perfect example.

RE: I'm starting to get delusional again - MICHAELSPAPPY - 02-05-2020 08:57 AM

(02-04-2020 11:39 PM)since74 Wrote:  
(02-04-2020 11:37 PM)mjs Wrote:  Without researching it, I would bet those few programs had coaches who committed and stayed awhile to build something special. I think Darrell wants to do that. Doesn't mean he will, but it is within the realm of possibility.

Mark Few is the perfect example.

Absolutely. You aren't going to build a program at a lower level unless you can get a top-flight coach to stay for some period of time - OR make a series of home run picks in a row, and that is almost impossible to do.