CSNbbs
'This time I'm scared': experts fear too late for China virus lockdown - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: The Kyra Memorial Spin Room (/forum-540.html)
+---- Thread: 'This time I'm scared': experts fear too late for China virus lockdown (/thread-893077.html)

RE: 'This time I'm scared': experts fear too late for China virus lockdown - Kronke - 03-15-2020 05:54 PM

(03-15-2020 04:28 PM)ShrackUAB Wrote:  
(03-15-2020 03:39 PM)Kronke Wrote:  Healthcare is a yooman right, they said.

Hand over your access to the government, they said.

Found the guy that think the USA healthcare system doesn't employ triage.

If things get bad enough, the same thing happens here regardless of us having private insurance plans. Age is just a factor of triage algorithms. Let's hope it never gets to that point.

The point is that the talking point of it being a human right is BS, you cannot guarantee that anyone will be able to provide you a good or service as a right. The entire premise for why government-controlled healthcare is better has collapsed at that point, and has boiled down to nothing more than the desire to take from those who have to give to those that have less.

With that in mind, I and 150 million others in this country will keep our private insurance, thank you. And that isn’t up for a vote.

RE: 'This time I'm scared': experts fear too late for China virus lockdown - Attackcoog - 03-15-2020 06:07 PM

(03-15-2020 05:36 PM)bullet Wrote:  South Korea:

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/south-korea/
51 million people, 8,162 cases and new cases are levelling off.

Hard to see how South Korea gets to 30 million cases.

S Korea is still in the stage where they can do containment. We already lost that battle. S Korea still has the option of keeping this up until there is a vaccine. The lessons learned in the SARS experience have served them well.

RE: 'This time I'm scared': experts fear too late for China virus lockdown - CrimsonPhantom - 03-15-2020 06:13 PM

Quote:A newborn in London has tested positive for the novel coronavirus SARS-CoV-2, just minutes after being born to a mother who was also infected with the virus, according to news reports.

Days prior to giving birth, the woman was admitted to a hospital for symptoms of pneumonia, finding out she had tested positive for the virus that causes COVID-19 only after her baby was born at North Middlesex hospital in Enfield, in north London, The Guardian reported.

According to The Sun, the baby was being treated at the hospital, while the mother had been transferred to an infectious-diseases hospital.

It is not known when the child contracted the disease. "We can't say it happened while the baby was still in the womb," Dr. William Schaffner, a professor of Preventive Medicine and Infectious Diseases at the Vanderbilt University School of Medicine, told Live Science. The baby could have also contracted the virus during, or immediately after, birth, Schaffner said.

Some infections pass from a mother to her baby through the mother's placenta, while the fetus is still developing in the womb, or from bodily fluids during delivery. For instance, the Zika virus — which is in another family of viruses from this coronavirus — can pass to newborns both in the womb and during delivery, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). When passed to a baby in the womb, the Zika virus can cause microcephaly and other severe brain defects, the CDC said.

"That was a terrible phenomenon that happened with Zika," Schaffner said.

The first known newborn who tested positive for SARS-CoV-2 did so within 36 hours of birth. In that case, it also wasn't clear whether transmission happened in the womb.

Following that news, researchers analyzed samples from nine women who came down with COVID-19 when they were 36 to 39 weeks pregnant, and were admitted to a hospital in Wuhan, China, where the outbreak began. All of the women delivered via C-section. To find out if and perhaps when the virus could be transmitted, the team looked at samples of amniotic fluid, umbilical cord blood, breast milk and samples from the newborn's throat.

None of those samples tested positive for the coronavirus, and both the mothers and babies survived, according to that study, published Feb. 12 in the journal The Lancet. In those cases, at least, the virus didn't appear to pass between a mother and her developing fetus.

Link

RE: 'This time I'm scared': experts fear too late for China virus lockdown - Redbanksdog - 03-15-2020 06:13 PM

Any idea how many Chinese have died in Italy from this virus ??

RE: 'This time I'm scared': experts fear too late for China virus lockdown - Owl 69/70/75 - 03-15-2020 06:21 PM

(03-15-2020 06:07 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  
S Korea is still in the stage where they can do containment. We already lost that battle. S Korea still has the option of keeping this up until there is a vaccine. The lessons learned in the SARS experience have served them well.

I don't know that we've lost that battle. Maybe we have, maybe we haven't, maybe warmer weather will slow down the virus, like it does to some of its cousins, and we will be over the worst in 2-4 weeks. Maybe we won't.

I plan to be cautious on a personal level and optimistic on a national level.

RE: 'This time I'm scared': experts fear too late for China virus lockdown - ShrackUAB - 03-15-2020 06:41 PM

(03-15-2020 05:54 PM)Kronke Wrote:  
(03-15-2020 04:28 PM)ShrackUAB Wrote:  
(03-15-2020 03:39 PM)Kronke Wrote:  Healthcare is a yooman right, they said.

Hand over your access to the government, they said.

Found the guy that think the USA healthcare system doesn't employ triage.

If things get bad enough, the same thing happens here regardless of us having private insurance plans. Age is just a factor of triage algorithms. Let's hope it never gets to that point.

The point is that the talking point of it being a human right is BS, you cannot guarantee that anyone will be able to provide you a good or service as a right. The entire premise for why government-controlled healthcare is better has collapsed at that point, and has boiled down to nothing more than the desire to take from those who have to give to those that have less.

With that in mind, I and 150 million others in this country will keep our private insurance, thank you. And that isn’t up for a vote.

You can't truly guarantee anyone ANY rights when **** hits the fan. These are just things we strive to do as a civilized people because we're not living in the wild west anymore. Triage happens during crisis and war regardless of healthcare system and regardless of your political leanings, unless you're mega rich.

The government is likely going to mandate certain things over the next couple of weeks that violate your rights as a United States citizen. You'll have to do it anyways or face possible consequences. Does that somehow mean our Constitution is bad or doesn't work? No. Tough decisions have to be made during crisis to try to get the best possible outcome.

The premise for universal healthcare is to overall save money, have better care as a whole, and keep people from falling into poverty or needlessly dying when they could just get treated. Italy breaking down because they waited too long to do anything about the pandemic has nothing to do with universal healthcare vs privatized healthcare. It simply is what it is

RE: 'This time I'm scared': experts fear too late for China virus lockdown - Kronke - 03-15-2020 06:41 PM

(03-15-2020 05:40 PM)Fort Bend Owl Wrote:  [Image: 89740461_10223307659906049_7779748982237...e=5E93CDC0]

Does Texas have any confirmed community transmissions?

RE: 'This time I'm scared': experts fear too late for China virus lockdown - EverRespect - 03-15-2020 07:12 PM

(03-15-2020 08:52 AM)stinkfist Wrote:  
(03-15-2020 08:49 AM)Claw Wrote:  Just to liven things up...

I had some "Q" posts pass my news feed last night. It seems there is no real virus outbreak. This is a cover operation for "The Storm". The social shutdown will be used to arrest thousands of pedophiles and Satanists from around globe.

Because you have to know, I'll give you some detail. Schools are being shut down to avoid any school shootings. Civilians are being removed from public for the same reasons and to avoid collateral deaths during the arrest raids. The National Guard troops are deployed to assist in the arrests and detentions. The FEMA camps / sick camps whatever you want to call them will hold the arrested. GITMO has expanded capacity and a new judge to hold people outside the normal legal system.

Before you all dismiss this out of hand, you need to know. Trump wore a yellow tie. A plain yellow signal flag on a ship means "My vessel is healthy". This is how we know the virus is not real. Oh, and China? Xi has the same deep state pedophile issues and is doing the same thing there in concert with us.

Oh, all the CEO's and board members stepping down? They are being arrested quietly. Celebrity's with the virus, like Tom Hanks, same thing. A cover story. Isolation is house arreset.

So there you have as much of it as I could garner easily.

I want the board to be informed.

LOL.....the first para was perfecto!....the rest was dessert....

I'm supposed to be watching the final round of the TPC.....instead, I get doc oz on mute with Aaron Lewis purring in the background....time to go outside and hit it a lick....

#jokeFestival
The worst part is there is no hockey game to escape to. Im watching reruns of Family Ties

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

RE: 'This time I'm scared': experts fear too late for China virus lockdown - Fort Bend Owl - 03-15-2020 07:12 PM

Yes some in Houston for sure - not sure about the rest of the state. There are two people in Alvin who got it and the only place of note that they had been was the rodeo. There are several up in Montgomery County who possibly got it from a cookoff up there.

RE: 'This time I'm scared': experts fear too late for China virus lockdown - EverRespect - 03-15-2020 07:27 PM

(03-15-2020 05:04 PM)TripleA Wrote:  The nudge theory is a risky strategy, but def a way to build herd immunity, lol. While killing more peeps short term.

I just don't think many other countries are going to try that. It's the opposite of "flattening the curve."
The problem is the breakdown of society we will see if the panic is still going strong into April. At some point, this is going to have to run its course and the chips fall where they may. Looting, empty shelves, violence, takedown of the economy, overwhelming the health system. Pick your poison. Wait until most people have no food or income, which is inevitable in a very short period. Whats the point in having a hypothetical hospital bed if I have to murder my neighbor to feed my family dinner tonight. We need to return to normal after Easter regardless of what the virus is doing. While this will probably be worse than the flu, it isn't yellow fever. Either we nip it in the bud in the next two weeks or life will have to go on. We've been through much worse and Americans aren't going to comply with a military state indefinitely. This isn't Nazi Germany or Communist China.

Im not taking this lightly but we can't shut down society for the rest of the year. If there is a better alternative, Im all ears, but right now the UK plan and herd immunity sounds like the best approach to me insofar as minimizing deaths and disruption while getting society back on track quickly. Quarantine the sick and elderly and let it run through the rest of us rapidly. We can have SARS parties and be done with it by Easter.

RE: 'This time I'm scared': experts fear too late for China virus lockdown - Claw - 03-15-2020 07:48 PM

(03-15-2020 07:27 PM)EverRespect Wrote:  
(03-15-2020 05:04 PM)TripleA Wrote:  The nudge theory is a risky strategy, but def a way to build herd immunity, lol. While killing more peeps short term.

I just don't think many other countries are going to try that. It's the opposite of "flattening the curve."
The problem is the breakdown of society we will see if the panic is still going strong into April. At some point, this is going to have to run its course and the chips fall where they may. Looting, empty shelves, violence, takedown of the economy, overwhelming the health system. Pick your poison. Wait until most people have no food or income, which is inevitable in a very short period. Whats the point in having a hypothetical hospital bed if I have to murder my neighbor to feed my family dinner tonight. We need to return to normal after Easter regardless of what the virus is doing. While this will probably be worse than the flu, it isn't yellow fever. Either we nip it in the bud in the next two weeks or life will have to go on. We've been through much worse and Americans aren't going to comply with a military state indefinitely. This isn't Nazi Germany or Communist China.

Im not taking this lightly but we can't shut down society for the rest of the year. If there is a better alternative, Im all ears, but right now the UK plan and herd immunity sounds like the best approach to me insofar as minimizing deaths and disruption while getting society back on track quickly. Quarantine the sick and elderly and let it run through the rest of us rapidly. We can have SARS parties and be done with it by Easter.

The problem with flattening the curve is it does not reduce the area under the curve. Unless something happens (weather, treatment breakthrough, etc), the number of sick and dead is essentially the same in both cases. The economic damage would appear to be much worse in the flatten the curve scenario. EDIT TO ADD: Ok. Maybe the number of dead is less if there are insufficient resources to treat curable patients during the peak.

RE: 'This time I'm scared': experts fear too late for China virus lockdown - Attackcoog - 03-15-2020 07:55 PM

(03-15-2020 06:21 PM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  
(03-15-2020 06:07 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  

I don't know that we've lost that battle. Maybe we have, maybe we haven't, maybe warmer weather will slow down the virus, like it does to some of its cousins, and we will be over the worst in 2-4 weeks. Maybe we won't.

I plan to be cautious on a personal level and optimistic on a national level.

Im actually very optimistic. We've been through much worse. We are in for a few tough months---but we are a very adaptable culture. This will be the new normal for a time---but eventually, the worst will pass and we will move back to the regular business of living our lives.

RE: 'This time I'm scared': experts fear too late for China virus lockdown - Attackcoog - 03-15-2020 07:58 PM

(03-15-2020 07:48 PM)Claw Wrote:  

The problem with flattening the curve is it does not reduce the area under the curve. Unless something happens (weather, treatment breakthrough, etc), the number of sick and dead is essentially the same in both cases. The economic damage would appear to be much worse in the flatten the curve scenario. EDIT TO ADD: Ok. Maybe the number of dead is less if there are insufficient resources to treat curable patients during the peak.

Thats not true. The number of sick is essentially the same---the number of dead is greatly reduced because you dont lose people you could have saved simply because the health care system cant provide what they need (thats where they are Italy right now). Look at this way---if you have 100,000 ICU beds, the name of the game is keeping the number of people needed ICU beds below 100,000 at the peak. Thats how you save extra people.

RE: 'This time I'm scared': experts fear too late for China virus lockdown - Claw - 03-15-2020 08:02 PM

(03-15-2020 07:58 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  

Thats not true. The number of sick is essentially the same---the number of dead is greatly reduced because you dont lose people you could have saved simply because the health care system cant provide what they need (thats where they are Italy right now). Look at this way---if you have 100,000 ICU beds, the name of the game is keeping the number of people needed ICU beds below 100,000 at the peak. Thats how you save extra people.

I added an edit to that effect. I will note, however, that until you reach capacity, there is no benefit to this approach.

RE: 'This time I'm scared': experts fear too late for China virus lockdown - DFWMINER - 03-15-2020 08:25 PM

Exactly what I've been thinking. Flattening the curve extends the time for this and the way the media is blaring the horn every time there is a new presumptive positive it will send this country further down the tail spin we are starting.

As said above we need to get on with living normal lives within a few weeks as the alternative scenarios are more ugly than what this virus can do.

RE: 'This time I'm scared': experts fear too late for China virus lockdown - Attackcoog - 03-15-2020 08:41 PM

(03-15-2020 08:02 PM)Claw Wrote:  
(03-15-2020 07:58 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  

I added an edit to that effect. I will note, however, that until you reach capacity, there is no benefit to this approach.

And you would be correct.

RE: 'This time I'm scared': experts fear too late for China virus lockdown - olliebaba - 03-15-2020 08:42 PM

As far as I know I don't think there's anyone in EP that is living differently than before all this happened. The streets are jam packed as well as the stores. Toilet paper at Sams was the only true indicator of some people panicking. Some grocery items were missing too as Vinegar was gone too. Let's keep on trucking and not be afraid, just cautious. That's all one can do and especially not panic.

RE: 'This time I'm scared': experts fear too late for China virus lockdown - TheOrigamiJimmyChin - 03-15-2020 11:15 PM

(03-15-2020 08:42 PM)olliebaba Wrote:  As far as I know I don't think there's anyone in EP that is living differently than before all this happened. The streets are jam packed as well as the stores. Toilet paper at Sams was the only true indicator of some people panicking. Some grocery items were missing too as Vinegar was gone too. Let's keep on trucking and not be afraid, just cautious. That's all one can do and especially not panic.

Too many are wearing it as a badge of honor, to say that they haven't changed a thing. If we don't change our behaviors then we won't slow the spread of the virus.

I got curious about Louisiana and why they have so many more cases than Texas does... They had zero cases one week ago, and seven days later they've got 103. Then I read about all the St Patrick's Day parties and parades that have continued there all weekend. I can't say for certain that any case has been spread at these parties, but the fact is that the virus is out there and it's just not smart to get large crowds of people together in this environment.

I read a quote from another guy, PhD candidate at LSU, who said this hadn't impacted his life one bit. He refused to even use hand sanitizer because, in his words, "I guess I'm just a rebel." Unfortunately it's not surprising to hear that attitude. But that attitude will spread the virus, and it may just hit one of your loved ones, particularly the vulnerable ones.

It's not panicking to take simple measures: wash hands, avoid contact, avoid crowds, stay home if you're sick. It should be common sense but some perverted sense of pride gets in the way of some of our fellow Americans.

RE: 'This time I'm scared': experts fear too late for China virus lockdown - JRsec - 03-15-2020 11:36 PM

(03-15-2020 11:15 PM)TheOrigamiJimmyChin Wrote:  
(03-15-2020 08:42 PM)olliebaba Wrote:  As far as I know I don't think there's anyone in EP that is living differently than before all this happened. The streets are jam packed as well as the stores. Toilet paper at Sams was the only true indicator of some people panicking. Some grocery items were missing too as Vinegar was gone too. Let's keep on trucking and not be afraid, just cautious. That's all one can do and especially not panic.

Too many are wearing it as a badge of honor, to say that they haven't changed a thing. If we don't change our behaviors then we won't slow the spread of the virus.

I got curious about Louisiana and why they have so many more cases than Texas does... They had zero cases one week ago, and seven days later they've got 103. Then I read about all the St Patrick's Day parties and parades that have continued there all weekend. I can't say for certain that any case has been spread at these parties, but the fact is that the virus is out there and it's just not smart to get large crowds of people together in this environment.

I read a quote from another guy, PhD candidate at LSU, who said this hadn't impacted his life one bit. He refused to even use hand sanitizer because, in his words, "I guess I'm just a rebel." Unfortunately it's not surprising to hear that attitude. But that attitude will spread the virus, and it may just hit one of your loved ones, particularly the vulnerable ones.

It's not panicking to take simple measures: wash hands, avoid contact, avoid crowds, stay home if you're sick. It should be common sense but some perverted sense of pride gets in the way of some of our fellow Americans.

My Father's life lesson #1 to his children (keep in mind Dad was a Fighter Pilot and combat veteran), "Stay away from stupid people! Stupid people get you killed!"

"#2 If you don't know them well enough to ascertain whether they are stupid or not, assume they are stupid"

RE: 'This time I'm scared': experts fear too late for China virus lockdown - Attackcoog - 03-16-2020 01:09 AM

(03-15-2020 11:36 PM)JRsec Wrote:  
(03-15-2020 11:15 PM)TheOrigamiJimmyChin Wrote:  

My Father's life lesson #1 to his children (keep in mind Dad was a Fighter Pilot and combat veteran), "Stay away from stupid people! Stupid people get you killed!"

"#2 If you don't know them well enough to whether they are stupid or not, assume they are stupid"

Lol. I feel like I would have really liked your dad.