CSNbbs
'This time I'm scared': experts fear too late for China virus lockdown - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: The Kyra Memorial Spin Room (/forum-540.html)
+---- Thread: 'This time I'm scared': experts fear too late for China virus lockdown (/thread-893077.html)

RE: 'This time I'm scared': experts fear too late for China virus lockdown - onetime - 03-12-2020 06:11 PM

(03-12-2020 03:59 PM)UofMTigerTim Wrote:  Disneyland is closing. No decision on Disney World.

I took the family to Disneyworld a couple of weeks after 911, we already had paid for everything. there were no lines for anything. crazy, almost like we had the park to ourselves. my kids got to go on rides as many times as they wanted . Did the whole park before dark.

RE: 'This time I'm scared': experts fear too late for China virus lockdown - CardinalJim - 03-12-2020 06:13 PM

(03-12-2020 03:55 PM)BobcatEngineer Wrote:  I'm getting married this summer.

My fiancee and I went to anchor bar for trivia last night and another couple on our team was talking about how we'll always remember 2020 because of the Coronavirus outbreak...

My poor fiancee looks at me and says.... "and our wedding, too, I hope!"

It's pretty insane how fast everything is happening though.

Congratulations to you both.

RE: 'This time I'm scared': experts fear too late for China virus lockdown - b0ndsj0ns - 03-12-2020 06:19 PM

(03-12-2020 05:46 PM)TripleA Wrote:  
(03-12-2020 12:34 PM)ECUGrad07 Wrote:  So the Democrats just came out against Trump's Europe travel ban.

T....D....S.

This is basically like the old joke, if Trump came out and said "Hey, I like oxygen." Democrats would suffocate.

And they called the ban on travel from China racist. Then deleted a lot of the tweets later.

Both sides have let their disdain for each other affect decision making so far. It's gross. This is a 9/11 type situation where petty political scabbles need to be set aside. Biden and Bernie shouldn't have been so openly hostile towards Trump in their speeches today IMO. Not saying they had to praise him but the last thing they need to be doing is making people have reason to panic in any way.

RE: 'This time I'm scared': experts fear too late for China virus lockdown - CardinalJim - 03-12-2020 06:40 PM

(03-12-2020 02:53 PM)Redwingtom Wrote:  It's not opposing the ban per se, it's some key factors. The virus is already here and spreading communally. It's in the UK too, and we just sprung this on the world with zero consultation with Europe!

Why should we consult with anyone to protect our country? What could come from telling the EU in advance that we are closing our airports to them? At no time should an American President ask for permission to protect American citizens.

BTW if I remember correctly we saved Europe’s ass from Germany.... twice. The same Europe that now regularly burns our flag, criticizes our leaders and ridicules our way of life. Basically screw the EU.

RE: 'This time I'm scared': experts fear too late for China virus lockdown - Owl 69/70/75 - 03-12-2020 06:49 PM

I wasn't particularly pleased with Trump's speech last night. Nothing remotely close to the unhinged anti-Trump rhetoric being spouted by the left, but I just wasn't that fond of the substance.

I think the payroll tax holiday is a terrible idea. Social security runs out of money in about 2030, and so far at least one party shows no inclination to do anything about it. No need to make it worse.

I'm kind of lukewarm on the travel bans. I agree that the China ban was probably the best thing that could have been done, and if we skate out with an unusually small number of infected and deaths, as I expect, I will attribute it to that. But I'm just not sure about a Europe ban.

One thought I had, what if we did like we did after 9/11, and basically shut things down for a week or so. Maybe shut down the stock market through next Friday (6 trading days) like we did, and maybe try to slow everything down and focus.

It was 86F here in Houston today. Warmer weather is coming soon. CV-19 is from a family of viruses that historically don't deal well with warm, humid conditions, in particular when temperatures are above 80F, and there is some basis for believing that this one will do the same. If so, the worst could very easily be behind us in 2-4 weeks, and that worst won't have been all that bad.

I'd say let's put everybody on holiday for a week or two, let the hysteria die down, get testing kits out in the country on a widespread basis, and see if cooler heads can't prevail.

RE: 'This time I'm scared': experts fear too late for China virus lockdown - 200yrs2late - 03-12-2020 06:51 PM

(03-12-2020 03:55 PM)BobcatEngineer Wrote:  I'm getting married this summer.

My fiancee and I went to anchor bar for trivia last night and another couple on our team was talking about how we'll always remember 2020 because of the Coronavirus outbreak...

My poor fiancee looks at me and says.... "and our wedding, too, I hope!"

It's pretty insane how fast everything is happening though.
The rate of escalation of preventative measures is what worries me. Is this a cousin of the flu that is about 10 times as deadly but still relatively harmless to healthy young adults, or is there something that those in the know are aware of and aren't telling the public?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

RE: 'This time I'm scared': experts fear too late for China virus lockdown - Attackcoog - 03-12-2020 07:13 PM

(03-12-2020 03:49 PM)CrimsonPhantom Wrote:  We’ve Got The Vaccine, Says Pentagon-Funded Company

Quote: Canadian firm says it could make 10 million doses per month — if its innovative production method wins FDA approval.

A Canadian company says that it has produced a COVID-19 vaccine just 20 days after receiving the coronavirus’s genetic sequence, using a unique technology that they soon hope to submit for FDA approval.

Medicago CEO Bruce Clark said his company could produce as many as 10 million doses a month. If regulatory hurdles can be cleared, he said in a Thursday interview, the vaccine could start to become available in November.

An Israeli research lab has also claimed to have created a vaccine. But Clark says his company’s technique, which has already been proven effective in producing vaccines for seasonal flu, is more reliable and easier to scale.

“There are a couple of others who are claiming that they have — well, we will call them vaccine[s]” for COVID-19, he said. “But they’re different technologies. Some are RNA- or DNA-based vaccines that have not yet been proven in any indication yet, let alone this one. Hopefully, they’ll be successful.”

How did Clark’s team create one so quickly,? They use plants, not chicken eggs, as a bioreactor for growing vaccine proteins.

Traditional vaccine production requires eggs, a lot of them. Vaccine manufacturers inject the virus into the eggs, where it propagates. But using eggs is expensive, takes a long time, and is far from perfect. Mutations can yield vaccines that don’t match up to the virus they aim to shut down, Clark said

So Medicago doesn’t work with a live virus. Instead, it uses plants, a relatively new approach that has seen much advancement in the past decade. It inserts a genetic sequence into agrobacterium, a soil bacteria, which is taken up by plants — in this case, a close cousin to tobacco. The plant begins to produce the protein that can then be used as a vaccine. If the virus begins to mutate, as is expected for COVID-19, they can just update the production using new plants.

“That’s the difference between us” and egg-based methods, he said, ”we go directly to producing the vaccine or the antibody without having to propagate the virus.”

Link

So, it turns out---you can produce a vaccine relatively quickly. The problem is, you have to test it because a vaccine can actually be counter productive if it doesnt hit right in the sweet spot of immune response created. Too little and it doesnt help. Too much and you get a situation where your own immune system over reaction causes your own death. So, it requires a several pretty rigorous rounds of animal testing---and then several expanding rounds of human testing. That just takes time---and there is only so much you can do to speed things up. You can have hundred farmers planting corn, but it wont make give a bushel of corn 100 times faster. Im starting to think we are at least 18 months away from a viable vaccine available with enough doses to make a real difference.

I think our short term defense is going to be a combination of measures designed to slow the infection rate in our population, use of anti-viral cocktails using existing drugs, and use of old technology (using plasma from recovered Covid-19 victims). That last method is what we used to do before we had vaccines.

RE: 'This time I'm scared': experts fear too late for China virus lockdown - bullet - 03-12-2020 07:19 PM

Spouse's work is non-essential personnel telecommute for a month. One kid's HS will be 2 days off and then online learning for at least two weeks.

RE: 'This time I'm scared': experts fear too late for China virus lockdown - Owl 69/70/75 - 03-12-2020 07:19 PM

(03-12-2020 07:13 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  
(03-12-2020 03:49 PM)CrimsonPhantom Wrote:  We’ve Got The Vaccine, Says Pentagon-Funded Company
Quote:
Canadian firm says it could make 10 million doses per month — if its innovative production method wins FDA approval.
A Canadian company says that it has produced a COVID-19 vaccine just 20 days after receiving the coronavirus’s genetic sequence, using a unique technology that they soon hope to submit for FDA approval.
Medicago CEO Bruce Clark said his company could produce as many as 10 million doses a month. If regulatory hurdles can be cleared, he said in a Thursday interview, the vaccine could start to become available in November.
An Israeli research lab has also claimed to have created a vaccine. But Clark says his company’s technique, which has already been proven effective in producing vaccines for seasonal flu, is more reliable and easier to scale.
“There are a couple of others who are claiming that they have — well, we will call them vaccine[s]” for COVID-19, he said. “But they’re different technologies. Some are RNA- or DNA-based vaccines that have not yet been proven in any indication yet, let alone this one. Hopefully, they’ll be successful.”
How did Clark’s team create one so quickly,? They use plants, not chicken eggs, as a bioreactor for growing vaccine proteins.
Traditional vaccine production requires eggs, a lot of them. Vaccine manufacturers inject the virus into the eggs, where it propagates. But using eggs is expensive, takes a long time, and is far from perfect. Mutations can yield vaccines that don’t match up to the virus they aim to shut down, Clark said
So Medicago doesn’t work with a live virus. Instead, it uses plants, a relatively new approach that has seen much advancement in the past decade. It inserts a genetic sequence into agrobacterium, a soil bacteria, which is taken up by plants — in this case, a close cousin to tobacco. The plant begins to produce the protein that can then be used as a vaccine. If the virus begins to mutate, as is expected for COVID-19, they can just update the production using new plants.
“That’s the difference between us” and egg-based methods, he said, ”we go directly to producing the vaccine or the antibody without having to propagate the virus.”
Link
So, it turns out---you can produce a vaccine relatively quickly. The problem is, you have to test it because vaccine can actually be counter productive if it doesnt hit right in the sweet spot of immune response created. Too little and it doesnt help. Too much and you get a situation where your own immune system over reaction causes your own death. So, it requires a several pretty rigorous rounds of animal testing---and then several expanding rounds of human testing. That just takes time---so there is only so much you can do to speed things up. You can have hundred farmers planting corn, but it wont make give a bushel of corn 100 times faster. Im starting to think we are at least 18 months away from a viable vaccine available with enough doses to make a real difference.

I think in an emergency we might be able to get a vaccine out by the fall. That's what really worries me. CV-19 is from a family of viruses that don't deal well with hot, humid conditions, particularly when temperatures are above 80F. If this one behaves like its cousins, the worst could be behind us in 2-4 weeks. While not a certainty, I think that is a very likely possibility. But if it goes dormant and returns with colder weather in the fall, again a very likely possibility, we could have a crisis on our hands then.

What I would rather have seen Trump do last night is basically what we did after 9/11. Call a moratorium on everything for a week or two, shut the stock markets down until March 23 (6 trading days) and let's just all catch our breath and get over some of the hysteria.

RE: 'This time I'm scared': experts fear too late for China virus lockdown - CardinalJim - 03-12-2020 07:20 PM

(03-12-2020 06:49 PM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  I wasn't particularly pleased with Trump's speech last night. Nothing remotely close to the unhinged anti-Trump rhetoric being spouted by the left, but I just wasn't that fond of the substance.

I think the payroll tax holiday is a terrible idea. Social security runs out of money in about 2030, and so far at least one party shows no inclination to do anything about it. No need to make it worse.

I'm kind of lukewarm on the travel bans. I agree that the China ban was probably the best thing that could have been done, and if we skate out with an unusually small number of infected and deaths, as I expect, I will attribute it to that. But I'm just not sure about a Europe ban.

One thought I had, what if we did like we did after 9/11, and basically shut things down for a week or so. Maybe shut down the stock market through next Friday (6 trading days) like we did, and maybe try to slow everything down and focus.

It was 86F here in Houston today. Warmer weather is coming soon. CV-19 is from a family of viruses that historically don't deal well with warm, humid conditions, in particular when temperatures are above 80F, and there is some basis for believing that this one will do the same. If so, the worst could very easily be behind us in 2-4 weeks, and that worst won't have been all that bad.

I'd say let's put everybody on holiday for a week or two, let the hysteria die down, get testing kits out in the country on a widespread basis, and see if cooler heads can't prevail.

As good as that sounds it’s not likely to happen. Not in an election year and certainly not with a Republican in the White House. The media, Nancy, Chuck and now Joe won’t allow that. They are not going to let the hysteria die. Doing that doesn’t fit the narrative.

We can wax on poetically about 9/11 but W isn’t President, Dick Cheney and Al Gore don’t lead the Senate and Dennis Hastert certainly doesn’t lead the House.

It was easier for W on 9/11 because Democrats still cared about America so Al Gore didn’t have a problem working with Republicans in the White House and in the House.

Thank God that something like 9/11 hasn’t happened since Obama left office. If it had I’m quite sure Democrats would have celebrated. I’m sure the Squad would have anyway.

It’s a good thought though

RE: 'This time I'm scared': experts fear too late for China virus lockdown - UofMstateU - 03-12-2020 07:31 PM

According to the CDC data, it appears the infections peaked on March 1st. And when I say "peaked", I'm talking about less than 40 people. All we need to do is to keep people from entering the country from areas where they dont have it contained, like the European Union countries and their open borders, and it will be fine.

I shudder to think what would have happened if the media hyped the swine flu like this. Seems like the left has gotten complete amnesia on how that went down.

RE: 'This time I'm scared': experts fear too late for China virus lockdown - Bronco'14 - 03-12-2020 07:42 PM

(03-12-2020 06:40 PM)CardinalJim Wrote:  
(03-12-2020 02:53 PM)Redwingtom Wrote:  It's not opposing the ban per se, it's some key factors. The virus is already here and spreading communally. It's in the UK too, and we just sprung this on the world with zero consultation with Europe!

Why should we consult with anyone to protect our country? What could come from telling the EU in advance that we are closing our airports to them? At no time should an American President ask for permission to protect American citizens.

BTW if I remember correctly we saved Europe’s ass from Germany.... twice. The same Europe that now regularly burns our flag, criticizes our leaders and ridicules our way of life. Basically screw the EU.

yep

(03-12-2020 07:31 PM)UofMstateU Wrote:  According to the CDC data, it appears the infections peaked on March 1st. And when I say "peaked", I'm talking about less than 40 people. All we need to do is to keep people from entering the country from areas where they dont have it contained, like the European Union countries and their open borders, and it will be fine.

I shudder to think what would have happened if the media hyped the swine flu like this. Seems like the left has gotten complete amnesia on how that went down.

yep

RE: 'This time I'm scared': experts fear too late for China virus lockdown - CardinalJim - 03-12-2020 07:45 PM

(03-12-2020 07:31 PM)UofMstateU Wrote:  According to the CDC data, it appears the infections peaked on March 1st. And when I say "peaked", I'm talking about less than 40 people. All we need to do is to keep people from entering the country from areas where they dont have it contained, like the European Union countries and their open borders, and it will be fine.

They don’t care Brother. That’s the problem. If our Nation truly faced a crisis, the Left wouldn’t know how to respond. Imagine if we had to mobilize like we did in ‘41.

While we have some brave, selfless young men and women in our armed services they are the exception and not the rule. There are simply not enough of them.

Go anywhere that young people gather and just watch. Imagine the present generation of 18-22 year olds fighting a war of the magnitude of WWII. We have raised a generation with the majority of worthless, pant sagging morons. Just imagine them landing at Normandy where the average age of the soldier that went to shore was 20. Imagine the Bernie Bros Island hopping in the South Pacific. The Japanese would laugh their asses off.

That’s what liberal policies have done to our Nation.

RE: 'This time I'm scared': experts fear too late for China virus lockdown - Attackcoog - 03-12-2020 07:48 PM

Im not sure what you're looking at. The US had more than ten times that number (415) in new cases in just the last 24 hours. We arent anywhere near peaking right now---and we sure as heck were not peaking on March 3rd. We need to get the community spread under control and block any new spreaders from coming in.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

RE: 'This time I'm scared': experts fear too late for China virus lockdown - shere khan - 03-12-2020 07:48 PM

(03-12-2020 07:42 PM)Bronco14 Wrote:  
(03-12-2020 06:40 PM)CardinalJim Wrote:  

yep

yep

The CDC needs an overhaul. A bloated bureaucracy wasting money on shitr like this.

https://www.cdc.gov/healthyyouth/terminology/sexual-and-gender-identity-terms.htm

This is the country we live in. We need 4 more tears and Trump needs to gut them and reset their priorities.

RE: 'This time I'm scared': experts fear too late for China virus lockdown - JRsec - 03-12-2020 07:55 PM

(03-12-2020 07:45 PM)CardinalJim Wrote:  

They don’t care Brother. That’s the problem. If our Nation truly faced a crisis, the Left wouldn’t know how to respond. Imagine if we had to mobilize like we did in ‘41.

While we have some brave, selfless young men and women in our armed services they are the exception and not the rule. There are simply not enough of them.

Go anywhere that young people gather and just watch. Imagine the present generation of 18-22 year olds fighting a war of the magnitude of WWII. We have raised a generation with the majority of worthless, pant sagging morons. Just imagine them landing at Normandy where the average age of the soldier that went to shore was 20. Imagine the Bernie Bros Island hopping in the South Pacific. The Japanese would laugh their asses off.

All of those kids grew up working Jim. They fed the animals and milked the cows before going to school, got home and worked before dinner did their homework and were in bed by 8 PM. They were practical, healthy, and knew more about life than the average graduate student does today. You know what changed? Of course we aren't as rural, but child labor laws, and child abuse laws pertaining to family labor all had a major contribution. Then the schools taught them that they were "entitled" to things, not that they had to earn them.

Quite frankly if my wrinkled hands had to grip a rifle in the nation's defense, I wouldn't want one of them within 1,000 yards of me. I'd rather take my chances on my own than to be responsible for having an idiot that close to me in a combat situation.

RE: 'This time I'm scared': experts fear too late for China virus lockdown - natibeast21 - 03-12-2020 08:21 PM

(03-12-2020 07:45 PM)CardinalJim Wrote:  

Agree to a point. There are many normal people in my age group (I'm not 18-22, but know many who are). Most just don't care about their public persona/influence. I was in the middle of college the last go around with Bernie. Believe me, it was a waste of time to even debate the other side in your Gen Ed courses.

Me along with most of my friends caddied 6-8th grade and had their first job by sophomore/junior year in high school. Hell my brother worked full time construction as a laborer until two a days started for high school football all 4 years during the summer. In fact, he worked 7-8th grade summers as the owner of the company lived down our street, saw his work ethic, and asked my parents if it was OK to offer him part-time job in the summer. My brother would be considered a young millennial. Two a Days were banned by the time I was a sophomore in high school.

I deleted Twitter in college my freshmen year. I deleted Facebook within the last year when I realized I had over 1500 friends and maybe would say hi to <500 in public and probably have a minute conversation with <200.

I do have LinkedIn for work.

I also have Snapchat (rarely ever put a story up which goes to anyone who has added you on it) and GroupMe as those are designed well for one on one and/or your various groups of friends interacting with each other.

I've heard good things about Instagram, but figured why do I need to post a pic of my vacation, night out, etc. to people I don't know or care about. It's Facebook without the posting.

Anyways, point is there are still plenty of normal people around. Normal people aren't the ones you usually see making a scene in the news or public just like it's always been.

Am I comparing me or people of my age to either of my Grandfather's who fought in WWII or some of my older uncles that fought in Vietnam? Hell no. How the hell would I know what those experiences were even remotely like.

What I do know is it natural human tendency to survive whatever situation no matter how unfortunate the situation.

RE: 'This time I'm scared': experts fear too late for China virus lockdown - UofMstateU - 03-12-2020 08:27 PM

(03-12-2020 07:48 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  

Im not sure what you're looking at. The US had more than ten times that number (415) in new cases in just the last 24 hours. We arent anywhere near peaking right now---and we sure as heck were not peaking on March 3rd. We need to get the community spread under control and block any new spreaders from coming in.

The site you're looking has a couple of graphs, one is "accumulated" cases. Thats why the graph keeps going up, because it will for about 2-3 weeks weeks after peak.

Also, the CDC keeps track of when the infection was contracted, which is almost always prior to when it was reported, whereas the site you are looking shows new cases as on the day it was repotred. So the CDC goes back in time to update the prior days with new infections for that day. Thats why we only know the infections that occurred thru March 4th at this time. They are still updating the days between the 4th and now. The graph you are looking at shows only 100 infections active on March 1st, but that number was low. The CDC shows almost 40 people contracted it on that day alone. Just the 3 days prior to March 1st would have exceeded 100 cases by themselves.

Its important to look at the infected date rate, and not infections reported, to determine when the peak occurred, and if there is any local re-transmissions.

RE: 'This time I'm scared': experts fear too late for China virus lockdown - Bronco'14 - 03-12-2020 08:33 PM

Number of deaths has been stuck at 40 all day.

I'm trying to find a timeline of deaths in USA on Google but have been unable to. Odd.

(03-12-2020 07:45 PM)CardinalJim Wrote:  We have raised a generation with the majority of worthless, pant sagging morons.
Correct. Unfortunately a lot of parents of people my age were told not to teach their kids because 'you can't brainwash them' and 'live & let live' so they didn't and now a lot of the youth are entitled brats. It's easy to blame the youth, but I think a lot of the blame needs to go to the parents/adults they had growing up.

RE: 'This time I'm scared': experts fear too late for China virus lockdown - Bronco'14 - 03-12-2020 08:35 PM

(03-12-2020 08:27 PM)UofMstateU Wrote:  

The site you're looking has a couple of graphs, one is "accumulated" cases. Thats why the graph keeps going up, because it will for about 2-3 weeks weeks after peak.

Also, the CDC keeps track of when the infection was contracted, which is almost always prior to when it was reported, whereas the site you are looking shows new cases as on the day it was repotred. So the CDC goes back in time to update the prior days with new infections for that day. Thats why we only know the infections that occurred thru March 4th at this time. They are still updating the days between the 4th and now. The graph you are looking at shows only 100 infections active on March 1st, but that number was low. The CDC shows almost 40 people contracted it on that day alone. Just the 3 days prior to March 1st would have exceeded 100 cases by themselves.

Its important to look at the infected date rate, and not infections reported, to determine when the peak occurred, and if there is any local re-transmissions.
DING DING!!!!