CSNbbs
'This time I'm scared': experts fear too late for China virus lockdown - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: The Kyra Memorial Spin Room (/forum-540.html)
+---- Thread: 'This time I'm scared': experts fear too late for China virus lockdown (/thread-893077.html)

RE: 'This time I'm scared': experts fear too late for China virus lockdown - Attackcoog - 03-10-2020 03:52 PM

(03-10-2020 03:33 PM)EverRespect Wrote:  
(03-10-2020 03:30 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  
(03-10-2020 03:02 PM)tigergreen Wrote:  
(03-10-2020 02:01 PM)gdunn Wrote:  
(03-10-2020 11:27 AM)tigergreen Wrote:  By saying it's getting blown out of proportion, then talking about older people dying from it - the seemingly crazy precautions being taken are being done in order to protect those people, not because EVERYONE is going to get sick and/or die from it.
It's being blown out of proportion. 25 lives lost.. This year alone in Chicago we lost 78 people to gun violence.

People who are at high risk:
Early information out of China, where COVID-19 first started, shows that some people are at higher risk of getting very sick from this illness. This includes:

Older adults

People who have serious chronic medical conditions like:
Heart disease
Diabetes
Lung disease
If a COVID-19 outbreak happens in your community, it could last for a long time. (An outbreak is when a large number of people suddenly get sick.) Depending on how severe the outbreak is, public health officials may recommend community actions to reduce people’s risk of being exposed to COVID-19. These actions can slow the spread and reduce the impact of disease.

If you are at higher risk for serious illness from COVID-19 because of your age or because you have a serious long-term health problem, it is extra important for you to take actions to reduce your risk of getting sick with the disease.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/specific-groups/high-risk-complications.html

It's not new. It's been around. It's a respiratory problem.

It IS new; it's a novel virus. Respiratory viruses have been around, but this strain has not.

Comparing a pandemic to the gun problem in this country is like comparing apples and cotton balls. I could only wish we were as proactive with the gun issue as this, but that's a whole other ball of wax.

Bottom line, we have a certain amount of resources to treat the older/compromised people who have this virus, and the disease is spreading quickly. We need to try to slow it down as much as possible so that new cases can be dealt with in our current capacities.

If this all fizzles out, then thank public health officials & their efforts, don't say it was blown out of proportion.

Agree. The 1918 Pandemic was "just the flu"....but it was a new version. Thats what we have here. I suggest the skeptics scan the web for people in the medical community in Italy. The flu was in Italy 2 months ago. Their hospital were not being overrun with patents 2 months ago. This is not Ebola---but its also not something we can just shrug of because its "just the flu". If you dont take proper steps to prevent massive spread---you'll end up like Wuhon and Italy.

The 1918 pandemic was just the flu. There was also a World War going on along with undernourishment, fatigue, and poor environmental conditions, which led to the high death rate. The virus itself wasn't the main problem.

It was quite obviously a different version of the flu. A war, malnutrition, fatigue, and poor environmental conditions were all factors that also existed in the 1915, 1916, and 1917 versions of the flu---but 50 million people didnt die in any of those years. The 1918 Pandemic Flu was different because the flu was different. That said---I suspect a bunch of those 1918 victims could have been saved if they had modern ventilators in 1918. What Im gathering now in Italy is they dont have enough ICU beds for the demand. In Italy, doctors are literally having to decide who lives and who dies. I suspect the same thing happened in Wuhon.

Understand---I think most people will be fine. But best I can tell, we would have an issue if this were to spread to the general population like the flu because numbers would simply overwhelm the health care systems (even a modern western healthcare system). I assume thats why we see health officials willing to make a real effort to contain this virus before it can start infecting the US population with big numbers. I dont think we should be scaring people to death---but I do think we should be willing to make some sacrifices so we DONT have to shut everything down like Italy and China had to do in order to get the infection rate under control.

RE: 'This time I'm scared': experts fear too late for China virus lockdown - BobcatEngineer - 03-10-2020 04:38 PM

[Image: Covid-19-curves-graphic-social-v3.gif]

RE: 'This time I'm scared': experts fear too late for China virus lockdown - shere khan - 03-10-2020 04:44 PM

(03-10-2020 04:38 PM)BobcatEngineer Wrote:  [Image: Covid-19-curves-graphic-social-v3.gif]

Flatten the curve? You would rather the total number of cases remain constant for a longer period of time?

That graphic looks like more idiotic math from the left.

Weirdos

RE: 'This time I'm scared': experts fear too late for China virus lockdown - JRsec - 03-10-2020 04:45 PM

(03-10-2020 04:44 PM)shere khan Wrote:  
(03-10-2020 04:38 PM)BobcatEngineer Wrote:  [Image: Covid-19-curves-graphic-social-v3.gif]

Flatten the curve? You would rather the total number of cases remain constant for a longer period of time?

Weirdos

You are missing the subliminal feminist message here Shere!

RE: 'This time I'm scared': experts fear too late for China virus lockdown - shere khan - 03-10-2020 04:49 PM

(03-10-2020 04:45 PM)JRsec Wrote:  

Weirdos

I guess. I saw bad math and a nasty woman with dirty hands bitchin at some guy before she makes him a sammich.

Oh well. No country for old men I suppose.

RE: 'This time I'm scared': experts fear too late for China virus lockdown - JRsec - 03-10-2020 04:53 PM

(03-10-2020 04:49 PM)shere khan Wrote:  

Weirdos

I guess. I saw bad math and a nasty woman with dirty hands bitchin at some guy before she makes him a sammich.

The color of the guy's shirt equates to the bulging graph which approximates the kind of bustline guys like and notice he has his hand out. The flat curve is the same color of the woman's blouse and she's
covering her chest with folded arms.

This illustration claims to be about flu, but subliminally it is about men's expectations from women and the feminist woman's rejection of the protuberance.

And Shere, the message is "Flatten the curve."

RE: 'This time I'm scared': experts fear too late for China virus lockdown - shere khan - 03-10-2020 05:16 PM

(03-10-2020 04:53 PM)JRsec Wrote:  

Weirdos

The color of the guy's shirt equates to the bulging graph which approximates the kind of bustline guys like and notice he has his hand out. The flat curve is the same color of the woman's blouse and she's

This illustration claims to be about flu, but subliminally it is about men's expectations from women and the feminist woman's rejection of the protuberance.

[Image: thumb_jedi-mind-tricks-dont-work-on-me-com-15198274.png]

RE: 'This time I'm scared': experts fear too late for China virus lockdown - JRsec - 03-10-2020 05:19 PM

(03-10-2020 05:16 PM)shere khan Wrote:  
(03-10-2020 04:53 PM)JRsec Wrote:  
(03-10-2020 04:44 PM)shere khan Wrote:  Flatten the curve? You would rather the total number of cases remain constant for a longer period of time?

Weirdos

[Image: thumb_jedi-mind-tricks-dont-work-on-me-com-15198274.png]
Maybe Jedi Mind tricks don't work on you, but a firm D cup still works on me!

RE: 'This time I'm scared': experts fear too late for China virus lockdown - Fort Bend Owl - 03-10-2020 06:22 PM

The Ohio governor recommended that sporting events at indoor facilities take place without spectators, so the MAC just announced they're not going to have fans in Cleveland for their conference basketball tournaments.

As part of the restricted attendance policy, only "credentialed institutional personnel, student-athlete family members, credentialed media, television and radio crews, and official team party members will be permitted for attendance for the tournaments."

The Columbus Bluejackets in the NHL are going to ignore the request though and continue to play games as scheduled with fans in the stands.

Bernie Sanders and Joe Biden both canceled rallies in Cleveland tonight.

RE: 'This time I'm scared': experts fear too late for China virus lockdown - CrimsonPhantom - 03-10-2020 07:01 PM

RE: 'This time I'm scared': experts fear too late for China virus lockdown - Fort Bend Owl - 03-10-2020 07:04 PM

BTW the Ohio governor is a Republican. I've already seen someone here start to criticize Democrats for the decision (not in the Spin Room - was over on the CUSA board).

RE: 'This time I'm scared': experts fear too late for China virus lockdown - CrimsonPhantom - 03-10-2020 07:15 PM

Local talk radio host here in ABQ said that according to his sources there is 1 case of coronavirus. It has yet to be officially confirmed. Last week there was an internet rumor that someone from Italy who is visiting ABQ has the coronavirus.

As of yesterday, around 69 people have been tested for the coronavirus in NM and all came back negative.

RE: 'This time I'm scared': experts fear too late for China virus lockdown - EverRespect - 03-10-2020 09:05 PM

(03-10-2020 03:52 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  
(03-10-2020 03:33 PM)EverRespect Wrote:  
(03-10-2020 03:30 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  
(03-10-2020 03:02 PM)tigergreen Wrote:  
(03-10-2020 02:01 PM)gdunn Wrote:  It's being blown out of proportion. 25 lives lost.. This year alone in Chicago we lost 78 people to gun violence.

People who are at high risk:
Early information out of China, where COVID-19 first started, shows that some people are at higher risk of getting very sick from this illness. This includes:

Older adults

People who have serious chronic medical conditions like:
Heart disease
Diabetes
Lung disease
If a COVID-19 outbreak happens in your community, it could last for a long time. (An outbreak is when a large number of people suddenly get sick.) Depending on how severe the outbreak is, public health officials may recommend community actions to reduce people’s risk of being exposed to COVID-19. These actions can slow the spread and reduce the impact of disease.

If you are at higher risk for serious illness from COVID-19 because of your age or because you have a serious long-term health problem, it is extra important for you to take actions to reduce your risk of getting sick with the disease.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/specific-groups/high-risk-complications.html

It's not new. It's been around. It's a respiratory problem.

It IS new; it's a novel virus. Respiratory viruses have been around, but this strain has not.

Comparing a pandemic to the gun problem in this country is like comparing apples and cotton balls. I could only wish we were as proactive with the gun issue as this, but that's a whole other ball of wax.

Bottom line, we have a certain amount of resources to treat the older/compromised people who have this virus, and the disease is spreading quickly. We need to try to slow it down as much as possible so that new cases can be dealt with in our current capacities.

If this all fizzles out, then thank public health officials & their efforts, don't say it was blown out of proportion.

Agree. The 1918 Pandemic was "just the flu"....but it was a new version. Thats what we have here. I suggest the skeptics scan the web for people in the medical community in Italy. The flu was in Italy 2 months ago. Their hospital were not being overrun with patents 2 months ago. This is not Ebola---but its also not something we can just shrug of because its "just the flu". If you dont take proper steps to prevent massive spread---you'll end up like Wuhon and Italy.

The 1918 pandemic was just the flu. There was also a World War going on along with undernourishment, fatigue, and poor environmental conditions, which led to the high death rate. The virus itself wasn't the main problem.

It was quite obviously a different version of the flu. A war, malnutrition, fatigue, and poor environmental conditions were all factors that also existed in the 1915, 1916, and 1917 versions of the flu---but 50 million people didnt die in any of those years. The 1918 Pandemic Flu was different because the flu was different. That said---I suspect a bunch of those 1918 victims could have been saved if they had modern ventilators in 1918. What Im gathering now in Italy is they dont have enough ICU beds for the demand. In Italy, doctors are literally having to decide who lives and who dies. I suspect the same thing happened in Wuhon.

Understand---I think most people will be fine. But best I can tell, we would have an issue if this were to spread to the general population like the flu because numbers would simply overwhelm the health care systems (even a modern western healthcare system). I assume thats why we see health officials willing to make a real effort to contain this virus before it can start infecting the US population with big numbers. I dont think we should be scaring people to death---but I do think we should be willing to make some sacrifices so we DONT have to shut everything down like Italy and China had to do in order to get the infection rate under control.
The systems are overwhelmed because of the Government reaction to the virus, not because of the virus potency. If we try to quarantine entire cities or regions, lock up everyone that is in contact with the virus, and use Martial Law to contain the virus, yeah, that will overwhelm the system. I say we either slowly run out the clock (which is what Trump seems to be doing) or just live life and let it run its course and let the chips fall where they may.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

RE: 'This time I'm scared': experts fear too late for China virus lockdown - Fort Bend Owl - 03-10-2020 09:11 PM

It's so surreal how things are progressing. Yesterday, I was on the Purdue campus with my future Boilermaker touring the school. Today, they announced they are also going to online classes (along with a lot of other colleges - a number that is growing rapidly) in two weeks (possibly until the end of the semester but it's just 'indefinite' for now). Indiana hasn't been hit that hard by the virus at all (compared to Washington, California and New York for example). And their school president is one of the most conservative school presidents around for a major university (Mitch Daniels - former Governor of Indiana - was succeeded by Mike Pence).

I'd say Purdue's actions today should show you folks that this isn't a Democratic vs Republican issue. It's people taking proactive actions to try to circumvent the future spread of the virus.

I do feel badly for all the hard working students and faculty and staff at Purdue (and everywhere else being impacted). Their lives have drastically changed in just 24 hours.

RE: 'This time I'm scared': experts fear too late for China virus lockdown - bullet - 03-10-2020 09:18 PM

(03-10-2020 09:11 PM)Fort Bend Owl Wrote:  It's so surreal how things are progressing. Yesterday, I was on the Purdue campus with my future Boilermaker touring the school. Today, they announced they are also going to online classes (along with a lot of other colleges - a number that is growing rapidly) in two weeks (possibly until the end of the semester but it's just 'indefinite' for now). Indiana hasn't been hit that hard by the virus at all (compared to Washington, California and New York for example). And their school president is one of the most conservative school presidents around for a major university (Mitch Daniels - former Governor of Indiana - was succeeded by Mike Pence).

I'd say Purdue's actions today should show you folks that this isn't a Democratic vs Republican issue. It's people taking proactive actions to try to circumvent the future spread of the virus.

I do feel badly for all the hard working students and faculty and staff at Purdue (and everywhere else being impacted). Their lives have drastically changed in just 24 hours.

Its people scared of making a mistake and doing ridiculous things. They won't get fired for cancelling classes while overreacting. But if there is more than a couple of cases, they will get raked over the coals.

Here, Georgia recommended cancelling meetings with over 1,000 people. That seems reasonable. A college is a bunch of 15-40 (and occassional 200-300) people meetings. Its overkill without a justification.

Its what bureaucrats do.

RE: 'This time I'm scared': experts fear too late for China virus lockdown - bullet - 03-10-2020 09:19 PM

Apparently Cambridge has had issues with the virus. So maybe it makes sense for Harvard. But not for IU or Purdue. Not yet at least.

And the indications so far is that it is less lethal to young people than the typical flue.

RE: 'This time I'm scared': experts fear too late for China virus lockdown - VCE - 03-10-2020 09:20 PM

how many deaths have there been in China? 3500 or so? I guess we don't know the real number, but that's what has been reported. Out of a population of 1.4 billion? And those numbers are now dropping, dramatically. Extrapolating, and accounting for future Chinese deaths, what are we looking at here, 1500-2000 deaths?

Everyone, especially Wall Street, needs to stop panicking.

RE: 'This time I'm scared': experts fear too late for China virus lockdown - mptnstr@44 - 03-10-2020 09:26 PM

(03-10-2020 09:18 PM)bullet Wrote:  
(03-10-2020 09:11 PM)Fort Bend Owl Wrote:  It's so surreal how things are progressing. Yesterday, I was on the Purdue campus with my future Boilermaker touring the school. Today, they announced they are also going to online classes (along with a lot of other colleges - a number that is growing rapidly) in two weeks (possibly until the end of the semester but it's just 'indefinite' for now). Indiana hasn't been hit that hard by the virus at all (compared to Washington, California and New York for example). And their school president is one of the most conservative school presidents around for a major university (Mitch Daniels - former Governor of Indiana - was succeeded by Mike Pence).

Its people scared of making a mistake and doing ridiculous things. They won't get fired for cancelling classes while overreacting. But if there is more than a couple of cases, they will get raked over the coals.

Here, Georgia recommended cancelling meetings with over 1,000 people. That seems reasonable. A college is a bunch of 15-40 (and occasional 200-300) people meetings. Its overkill without a justification.

Its what bureaucrats do.

Same rationale for canceling classes due to snow or cold has come into play here. Colleges are now so wary of being sued because a student gets hurt or sick that they overreact in the other direction.

RE: 'This time I'm scared': experts fear too late for China virus lockdown - JRsec - 03-10-2020 09:29 PM

(03-10-2020 09:26 PM)mptnstr@44 Wrote:  
(03-10-2020 09:18 PM)bullet Wrote:  

Here, Georgia recommended cancelling meetings with over 1,000 people. That seems reasonable. A college is a bunch of 15-40 (and occasional 200-300) people meetings. Its overkill without a justification.

Its what bureaucrats do.

Same rationale for canceling classes due to snow or cold has come into play here. Colleges are now so wary of being sued because a student gets hurt or sick that they overreact in the other direction.

This is what happens when we turn out way more lawyers than we need. Fear due to liability will one day doom us all when our Sun goes Supernova and nobody has dared to leave the planet to explore space for fear of liability.

RE: 'This time I'm scared': experts fear too late for China virus lockdown - bullet - 03-10-2020 09:30 PM

(03-10-2020 09:20 PM)VCE Wrote:  how many deaths have there been in China? 3500 or so? I guess we don't know the real number, but that's what has been reported. Out of a population of 1.4 billion? And those numbers are now dropping, dramatically. Extrapolating, and accounting for future Chinese deaths, what are we looking at here, 1500-2000 deaths?

Everyone, especially Wall Street, needs to stop panicking.

We've had something like 18,000-20,000 deaths from the regular flue this season.