CSNbbs
ASun Committed to Expansion - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: College Sports and Conference Realignment (/forum-637.html)
+---- Thread: ASun Committed to Expansion (/thread-892977.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

RE: ASun Committed to Expansion - esayem - 01-22-2020 07:54 PM

Where’s David with the insider info on potential DII and DIII call-ups?

RE: ASun Committed to Expansion - solohawks - 01-22-2020 07:55 PM

Are they trying to do a conference split where both sides get an autobid?

RE: ASun Committed to Expansion - LUbball23 - 01-22-2020 07:56 PM

So they take the Big South football schools? d2 move ups? I haven't been keeping up with the expansion talk but who are legit candidates?

I know High Point was close to moving with Liberty to the ASUN.

RE: ASun Committed to Expansion - Kit-Cat - 01-22-2020 07:57 PM

Do this and its time for a D1 split.

07-coffee3

RE: ASun Committed to Expansion - msm96wolf - 01-22-2020 08:08 PM

I must be missing something, Exactly what is the benefit off doing or who will benefit. I just don't see the long run strategy

RE: ASun Committed to Expansion - chargeradio - 01-22-2020 08:09 PM

(01-22-2020 07:33 PM)IWokeUpLikeThis Wrote:  
(01-22-2020 07:00 PM)bullet Wrote:  I seem to recall that Division I had capped the number of conferences for the basketball tourney at the current number of 32.

<edit-article says there are a minimum of 34 at large positions which would allow 2 more conferences since they expanded to 68>

Can UNA, Bellarmine, & Liberty invite 5 on their own to maintain their conference?

- Chicago St
- USI
- Valdosta St
- UWF
- UNG?
- UAH?
Yes. Without any legislative relief, they would need 4-6 more schools who are already active members of Division I (i.e., completed the transition process) to not trigger the grace period for the "Old" Atlantic Sun. Chicago State fulfills this requirement, Division II schools do not.

To me the most likely result would be C-USA East, and possibly UAB, leaving for the "Old" Atlantic Sun. The easternmost Sun Belt schools could be in play as well. Liberty maintains FBS independence despite playing in a FBS conference.

The remaining schools in C-USA invite enough schools to get them back up to ten members. The Sun Belt then restocks, and eventually the OVC invites North Alabama and Bellarmine.

The "Group of Six" would then be the "Old" Atlantic Sun, Sun Belt, C-USA, MWC, American, and MAC.

The "New" Atlantic Sun starts out with 7 schools, but eventually builds around Florida, Georgia, and a few northern outposts along the East Coast.

RE: ASun Committed to Expansion - Fighting Muskie - 01-22-2020 08:14 PM

I’ve always been of the opinion that the NCAA is made up of schools, not conferences, and that the conference continuity rules were draconian and punitive so way to go A-Sun for finding a loophole to work around it.

What this signals to me is that the Florida 4 and friends want to get away from Liberty and they probably see that Bellarmine is merely using them as a stepping stone to get to the Horizon.

I see a Florida conference with outposts in easy to travel, big metros: Nashville, Atlanta, and NYC.

The A-Sun 7 could try to lure away HBCUs FAMU and B-C. There are also plenty of good DII options like Nova Southeastern, UWF, FL Tech, Tampa, Barry, etc.

Liberty, UNA, and Bellarmine are going to have to recruit from the Gulf South and Peach Belt but again I think there are some prospects there like Augusta St, N Georgia, W Georgia, Valdosta St, etc.

RE: ASun Committed to Expansion - solohawks - 01-22-2020 08:15 PM

A real quick way to put the kibosh on this would be for the NEC or America East to invite NJIT

No NJIT
No ASun 7
No compliance per Asun timeline

RE: ASun Committed to Expansion - Michael in Raleigh - 01-22-2020 08:40 PM

This is so confusing. Can someone simplify what the plans are here?

RE: ASun Committed to Expansion - IWokeUpLikeThis - 01-22-2020 09:01 PM

(01-22-2020 08:40 PM)Michael in Raleigh Wrote:  This is so confusing. Can someone simplify what the plans are here?

As esayem alluded to, things should look clearer once DavidSt logs in.

RE: ASun Committed to Expansion - bill dazzle - 01-22-2020 09:09 PM

I just read and am totally lost.

But I took note of the name of the ASUN commissioner: Ted Gumbart. Beautiful. Old school. No nonsense. Would that I were named Bill Gumbart. The ladies might dig it.

On a serious note, Lipscomb University (I live in Nashville) is a member of the ASUN. So I will want to follow this development as best I can.

RE: ASun Committed to Expansion - Wedge - 01-22-2020 09:10 PM

(01-22-2020 07:54 PM)spenser Wrote:  Those 7 would pull a Catholic 7 and leave the conference to the new schools.

In their new conference they would automatically get a NCAA tournament bid.

There is no automatically getting a March Madness autobid -- the Division I rules provide that only conferences certified by an NCAA committee as "core conferences" get autobids. Stuffing a conference from 10 up to 20 with teams just moving up from Division II and then trying to split into two conferences seems pretty much guaranteed to get a laugh and a quick no when they ask for "core conference" designation.

(01-22-2020 08:15 PM)solohawks Wrote:  A real quick way to put the kibosh on this would be for the NEC or America East to invite NJIT

Inviting NJIT or Chicago State to join your conference fits the definition of "cutting off your nose to spite your face".

(01-22-2020 07:57 PM)Kit-Cat Wrote:  Do this and its time for a D1 split.

Almost seems like they're daring the big boys to be so disgusted by the process that they divorce themselves from the NCAA, doesn't it?

RE: ASun Committed to Expansion - solohawks - 01-22-2020 09:13 PM

I agree this is very confusing

Here are the steps as I see them:
Step 1: The 10 team Atlantic Sun expands to 20 by 2023
Step 2: The core ASun 7 (Florida Gulf Coast, North Florida, Jacksonville, Stetson, Kennesaw St, Lipscomb, NJIT) move all their sports to what is now the CCSA Swimming Conference.
Step 3: The CCSA will become a multisport conference, renames itself Atantic Sun and will be eligible for auto bid since the ASun 7 will be apart of it
Step 4: The 3 schools left behind: Liberty, North Alabama, and Belleramine plus the added schools will play together in a new conference that will supposedly be entitled to auto bids

RE: ASun Committed to Expansion - DoubleRSU - 01-22-2020 09:17 PM

They are not forming 2 conferences. They’re planning on changing the name and possibly going to 20 teams with a divisional alignment and becoming all Sports, since the A-Sun doesn’t have football. I repeat, they are not forming 2 separate conferences

RE: ASun Committed to Expansion - Fighting Muskie - 01-22-2020 09:22 PM

Wild idea:

What if the left behinds lured 7 C-USA schools over? 7 C-USA schools, plus Liberty plus 2 more from the SBC would be a nice league. Bellarmine and UNA could be non-fb schools until more appropriate homes are found.

RE: ASun Committed to Expansion - Fighting Muskie - 01-22-2020 09:25 PM

(01-22-2020 09:17 PM)DoubleRSU Wrote:  They are not forming 2 conferences. They’re planning on changing the name and possibly going to 20 teams with a divisional alignment and becoming all Sports, since the A-Sun doesn’t have football. I repeat, they are not forming 2 separate conferences

I disagree. This announcement clearly indicates that if they get enough schools on board the the core 7 plus 3 new recruits will be taking up the CCSA as their new all sports home.

RE: ASun Committed to Expansion - DoubleRSU - 01-22-2020 09:27 PM

(01-22-2020 09:25 PM)Fighting Muskie Wrote:  
(01-22-2020 09:17 PM)DoubleRSU Wrote:  They are not forming 2 conferences. They’re planning on changing the name and possibly going to 20 teams with a divisional alignment and becoming all Sports, since the A-Sun doesn’t have football. I repeat, they are not forming 2 separate conferences

I disagree. This announcement clearly indicates that if they get enough schools on board the the core 7 plus 3 new recruits will be taking up the CCSA as their new all sports home.

Yeah and what’s the problem with that? They have the A-Sun auto bid and go by a different name. No big deal

RE: ASun Committed to Expansion - Nerdlinger - 01-22-2020 09:38 PM

This seems less like a fully-formed and feasible plan and more like a cry for attention.

RE: ASun Committed to Expansion - Fighting Muskie - 01-22-2020 09:39 PM

(01-22-2020 08:09 PM)chargeradio Wrote:  
(01-22-2020 07:33 PM)IWokeUpLikeThis Wrote:  
(01-22-2020 07:00 PM)bullet Wrote:  I seem to recall that Division I had capped the number of conferences for the basketball tourney at the current number of 32.

<edit-article says there are a minimum of 34 at large positions which would allow 2 more conferences since they expanded to 68>

Can UNA, Bellarmine, & Liberty invite 5 on their own to maintain their conference?

- Chicago St
- USI
- Valdosta St
- UWF
- UNG?
- UAH?
Yes. Without any legislative relief, they would need 4-6 more schools who are already active members of Division I (i.e., completed the transition process) to not trigger the grace period for the "Old" Atlantic Sun. Chicago State fulfills this requirement, Division II schools do not.

To me the most likely result would be C-USA East, and possibly UAB, leaving for the "Old" Atlantic Sun. The easternmost Sun Belt schools could be in play as well. Liberty maintains FBS independence despite playing in a FBS conference.

The remaining schools in C-USA invite enough schools to get them back up to ten members. The Sun Belt then restocks, and eventually the OVC invites North Alabama and Bellarmine.

The "Group of Six" would then be the "Old" Atlantic Sun, Sun Belt, C-USA, MWC, American, and MAC.

The "New" Atlantic Sun starts out with 7 schools, but eventually builds around Florida, Georgia, and a few northern outposts along the East Coast.

So:

Marshall
WKU
MTSU
ODU
Charlotte
UAB
FIU
FAU
Liberty
JMU

Non-fb: UNA, Bellarmine

Not a bad set up

RE: ASun Committed to Expansion - IWokeUpLikeThis - 01-22-2020 09:41 PM

If this spurns a 33rd autobid, I think the ACC’s proposal for a 72-team NCAA Tournament will be taken up.