CSNbbs
Hofstra (Thursday - 7 PM); Northeastern (Saturday, Jan 18 - 7 PM) - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: CAAbbs (/forum-676.html)
+---- Forum: CAA Conference Talk (/forum-677.html)
+----- Forum: UNCW (/forum-686.html)
+----- Thread: Hofstra (Thursday - 7 PM); Northeastern (Saturday, Jan 18 - 7 PM) (/thread-892407.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Hofstra (Thursday - 7 PM); Northeastern (Saturday, Jan 18 - 7 PM) - B_Hawk06 - 01-16-2020 07:42 PM

(01-16-2020 07:41 PM)Seahawkhoops Wrote:  Interested to hear some updates.... how do we look?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s a close game the entire first half looking at ESPN.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

RE: Hofstra (Thursday - 7 PM); Northeastern (Saturday, Jan 18 - 7 PM) - 70shawk - 01-16-2020 07:52 PM

Rob Burke's end of the half interview was great!

RE: Hofstra (Thursday - 7 PM); Northeastern (Saturday, Jan 18 - 7 PM) - bricksnivy - 01-16-2020 07:55 PM

Up 4 at halftime...Dodd leading the way with 9; Okauru and Phillips with 6 each. Hofstra shooting less than 40% from the field. We're out rebounding them by 2, and we have 6 OREB to their 2. UNCW with 5 assist to 2 TO; Hofstra with 5 A and 10 TO. Not watching, but would be nice to know what is forcing the TO...from the box score that seems to be what stands out.

Dodd with 9/5 3-4 from the floor is nice to see as well. Three OREB for him alone.

RE: Hofstra (Thursday - 7 PM); Northeastern (Saturday, Jan 18 - 7 PM) - SEA33HAWK - 01-16-2020 07:59 PM

A lot of energy from Burke on the sidelines.

Hofstra (Thursday - 7 PM); Northeastern (Saturday, Jan 18 - 7 PM) - Seahawkhoops - 01-16-2020 08:01 PM

(01-16-2020 07:59 PM)SEA33HAWK Wrote:  A lot of energy from Burke on the sidelines.

Is that flowing over to the players playing with more energy?

RE: Hofstra (Thursday - 7 PM); Northeastern (Saturday, Jan 18 - 7 PM) - SEA33HAWK - 01-16-2020 08:03 PM

(01-16-2020 08:01 PM)Seahawkhoops Wrote:  
(01-16-2020 07:59 PM)SEA33HAWK Wrote:  A lot of energy from Burke on the sidelines.

Is that flowing over to the players playing with more energy?

Yes

Hofstra (Thursday - 7 PM); Northeastern (Saturday, Jan 18 - 7 PM) - B_Hawk06 - 01-16-2020 08:03 PM

A good showing like this and it would be nice to have the next coach consider keeping Burke on as an assistant. Especially if they can keep competing like this the entire season.

Hofstra (Thursday - 7 PM); Northeastern (Saturday, Jan 18 - 7 PM) - Seahawkhoops - 01-16-2020 08:05 PM

(01-16-2020 08:03 PM)CG_Hawk06 Wrote:  A good showing like this and it would be nice to have the next coach consider keeping Burke on as an assistant. Especially if they can keep competing like this the entire season.

Absolutely, continuity is good . Especially when we do have some good, young solid talent we’d like to stay

RE: Hofstra (Thursday - 7 PM); Northeastern (Saturday, Jan 18 - 7 PM) - solohawks - 01-16-2020 08:40 PM

The players seem to really respect Burke per the Star News article today

RE: Hofstra (Thursday - 7 PM); Northeastern (Saturday, Jan 18 - 7 PM) - 82hawk - 01-16-2020 08:41 PM

(01-16-2020 08:03 PM)CG_Hawk06 Wrote:  A good showing like this and it would be nice to have the next coach consider keeping Burke on as an assistant. Especially if they can keep competing like this the entire season.

Assistant? We look like a completely different team. Burke is a defense first, play hard coach. We're playing with some swagger. If we play like this the rest of the year, i'd hand him the keys. Love his energy!

Hofstra (Thursday - 7 PM); Northeastern (Saturday, Jan 18 - 7 PM) - B_Hawk06 - 01-16-2020 08:51 PM

(01-16-2020 08:41 PM)82hawk Wrote:  

Assistant? We look like a completely different team. Burke is a defense first, play hard coach. We're playing with some swagger. If we play like this the rest of the year, i'd hand him the keys. Love his energy!

Yeah. Assistant.

RE: Hofstra (Thursday - 7 PM); Northeastern (Saturday, Jan 18 - 7 PM) - 82hawk - 01-16-2020 08:57 PM

(01-16-2020 08:51 PM)CG_Hawk06 Wrote:  

Yeah. Assistant.

You're obvioulsy not watching the game. The change is dramatic. He has an undersized bunch of sophomores and freshmen going toe to toe with the preseason favorites loaded with seniors. He has them playing hard nosed defense, diving for balls, battling on the boards, with good movement on offense...after TWO days of practice. The difference is night and day.

RE: Hofstra (Thursday - 7 PM); Northeastern (Saturday, Jan 18 - 7 PM) - 82hawk - 01-16-2020 08:59 PM

Our final play was the worst move of the game. Sims is not the guy you want to take your last shot, down two with 3.4 seconds left. He cannot create his own shot. Phillips or Okauru.

RE: Hofstra (Thursday - 7 PM); Northeastern (Saturday, Jan 18 - 7 PM) - solohawks - 01-16-2020 09:01 PM

Turned the radio on for the last minute. Had a 3 at the buzzard for the win that didnt fall.

Never good to lose but it sounds like the team played with a lot of confidence and intensity to put themselves in a position to have a chance for the win

RE: Hofstra (Thursday - 7 PM); Northeastern (Saturday, Jan 18 - 7 PM) - solohawks - 01-16-2020 09:15 PM

Burke's postgame interview was great!

Night and day!

Hofstra (Thursday - 7 PM); Northeastern (Saturday, Jan 18 - 7 PM) - Tribal - 01-16-2020 09:34 PM

Man, I really pulled for you guys. Trending up and that's all you can hope fir.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

RE: Hofstra (Thursday - 7 PM); Northeastern (Saturday, Jan 18 - 7 PM) - EvanJ - 01-16-2020 09:34 PM

(01-16-2020 08:57 PM)82hawk Wrote:  You're obvioulsy not watching the game. The change is dramatic. He has an undersized bunch of sophomores and freshmen going toe to toe with the preseason favorites loaded with seniors. He has them playing hard nosed defense, diving for balls, battling on the boards, with good movement on offense...after TWO days of practice. The difference is night and day.
In the second half, you had 7 steals, and made more twos, 14 to 4. I'd say Hofstra is "loaded with juniors and seniors." The only graduating seniors are Buie, Pemberton, and walk-on Klementowicz who didn't play. Coburn is listed as a senior but had a redshirt transfer season and will be listed as a senior for two seasons like Buie was last season and this season. Sims, Gadsden, Boggs, and Bowen combined to shot 4-22 (.182). Okauru led all scorers with 17 which they said was his career-high. Okauru had 3 rebounds, 2 assists, and 4 steals in the first half; and 1 rebound and no assists or steals in the second half. He shot well. Phillips scored 12, shot well, and tied with Gadsden for the most assists on either team with 3. Dodd shot well and had 9 points, 9 rebounds, and 2 blocks. Linssen scored 6 and Tolefree scored 5 with 5 field goal attempts and no free throw attempts each. Coburn led Hofstra with 15 points and tied Dodd for the most rebounds with 9. Pemberton was below his averages with 14 points and 5 rebounds. Buie was below his averages with 12 points and 2 assists. Kante had 12 points, 8 rebounds, and shot well, but committed 4 turnovers. His missed free throw with 5 seconds left gave you a chance to win with a three, but he made 2 of 3 free throws to increase his percentage. Ray did not shoot well and had 9 points, 1 rebound, 2 assists, no steals (he was averaging 1.4), and 1 of Hofstra's 2 blocks (his third of the season). Hofstra used their bench for 15 minutes and players outside their top six for 3 minutes. If Buie hadn't gotten hurt early, it's possible Burgess wouldn't have played and Hofstra would have used only seven players. Kante played a career-high 37 minutes, and Schutte tied his season-low with 2 minutes. Hofstra's bench did not attempt a free throw.

Keep playing that well and beat Northeastern. After losing close games, Northeastern came back from down 55-40 with 15 minutes left to win 79-76. Starting with Roland scoring with 14:56 left, Northeastern ended on a 39-21 run. Roland scored 33. Riller and Sam Miller tied for Charleston's lead with 20, and their other two double-digit scorers were quiet. Riller joined Okauru as CAA players with triple-doubles, as he had 10 rebounds, 10 assists, 4 steals, and 7 turnovers. It was the 16th triple-double this season unless somebody else did it tonight, and teams with triple-doubles fell to 13-3. Brevin Galloway shot 4-13 and scored 9, and Jaylen McManus shot 1-3 and scored 4.

Drexel shut down Elon and won 63-41.

W&M remained undefeated with a 77-68 win at Delaware.

Coach Burke was voted All-Star of the game.

You do a significant pregame and postgame, and I like the music the video plays returning from commercials.

W&M beat Hofstra by 27, who beat Elon by 27, but W&M beat Elon by 1. Hofstra beat Elon by 27, who beat you by 17, but Hofstra beat you by 2.

Away teams in CAA games are 18-13 (.581).

Beat Northeastern and/or Charleston.

Hofstra (Thursday - 7 PM); Northeastern (Saturday, Jan 18 - 7 PM) - B_Hawk06 - 01-16-2020 09:37 PM

(01-16-2020 08:57 PM)82hawk Wrote:  
(01-16-2020 08:51 PM)CG_Hawk06 Wrote:  

Yeah. Assistant.

You're obvioulsy not watching the game. The change is dramatic. He has an undersized bunch of sophomores and freshmen going toe to toe with the preseason favorites loaded with seniors. He has them playing hard nosed defense, diving for balls, battling on the boards, with good movement on offense...after TWO days of practice. The difference is night and day.

No. I didn’t. And I get that his personality and energy are way higher than what we saw from McGrath. I just want to see sustained change. Was tonight a result of the guys having a ton of adrenaline from all the change? Who knows. That’s why I want to see this sustained.

If he’s the real deal, then we’ll see by season’s end and go from there. After 2.5 years of failure I’m not ready to give someone from this group the big keys yet. However, the response he seems to get from the team if we go to another coach I would certainly hope there’s be a possibility that he’d stay on staff. How often does that ever happen though?

RE: Hofstra (Thursday - 7 PM); Northeastern (Saturday, Jan 18 - 7 PM) - Seahawk Nation 08 - 01-16-2020 09:38 PM

(01-16-2020 08:57 PM)82hawk Wrote:  You're obvioulsy not watching the game. The change is dramatic.

Absolutely a complete shift in the demeanor of the team, and Burke looks like a guy who can at least get an interview.

But let's pump the brakes slightly. Before the game I predicted we'd see him impress because a lot of Interim coaches do that in their first few games.

Either way Burke has a bright future ahead, whether that's here or elsewhere.

RE: Hofstra (Thursday - 7 PM); Northeastern (Saturday, Jan 18 - 7 PM) - Gary Miller - 01-16-2020 09:50 PM

(01-16-2020 08:59 PM)82hawk Wrote:  Our final play was the worst move of the game. Sims is not the guy you want to take your last shot, down two with 3.4 seconds left. He cannot create his own shot. Phillips or Okauru.

Burke has got to let them push that ball off the rebound from that free throw. We had numbers with their big trailing behind... Should've never called the timeout. Other than that, he coached a darn good game.