CSNbbs
A Sober Look at the Potential Realignment of 2024 - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: College Sports and Conference Realignment (/forum-637.html)
+----- Forum: P5 Discussion (/forum-997.html)
+----- Thread: A Sober Look at the Potential Realignment of 2024 (/thread-892312.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35

RE: A Sober Look at the Potential Realignment of 2024 - JRsec - 05-06-2020 02:16 PM

(05-06-2020 01:47 PM)texoma Wrote:  
(05-06-2020 12:54 PM)JRsec Wrote:  
(05-06-2020 10:00 AM)texoma Wrote:  Texas A&M has always been the dominate team in Houston. When they moved to the SEC, then LSU, Bama, Auburn and other SEC teams increased their recruiting in the Houston area. I believe Texas felt it was necessary to maintain a presence in Houston to help counter the recruiting by the SEC schools.

That's pure B.S. Auburn's largest extant alumni base was in Houston and has diminished as NASA's prominence in Houston has waned since the Apollo series and the Shuttle days. L.S.U. has always had a strong presence in Houston due to proximity. Bama's success has them recruiting a lot of areas more prominently than in the past.

The Big 12 fan boy justifications for what has always been is absurd. Every solid program in the nation recruits Florida and Georgia and have since the late 70's when recruiting started being a more national in scope. It got started that way in the Jim Crow South when those living outside of it could recruit Southern African American athletes with a high degree of success while the South denied them entrance to its schools. Prior to that virtually all of recruitment was local.

This is a fact lost upon many as to how Nebraska rose to prominence with a sparse state.

Auburn has had a significant presence in Houston since NASA located there. We've cranked out a goodly number of aerospace engineers over the years and that is why Auburn partnered with Purdue on many projects in those days.

And for those who haven't lived long enough L.S.U. and A&M were very old rivals dating back before the formation of the SEC and Houston was their main point of intersection.

Well I stand by my statement that A&M has always been the dominate team in Houston. I do not understand what Auburn having Aerospace Engineers employed at the Space Center has to do with football recruiting.

I agree, LSU has had a presence in Houston for along time. Actually, LSU's presence in Houston was largely due to their rivalry with Rice when Rice was a power house back in the 40's and 50's.

Since A&M entered the SEC, the Houston media has increased their coverage of the SEC considerably and that has got to influence Houston area recruits. I am not going to go back and research recruiting classes of LSU, Bama, etc. since A&M entered the SEC,
but I think any reasonable person would agree it would have an effect.

Lastly, referring to me as the Big12 fan boy is beneath you JR.

1. Having a large fan base in Houston was a means for recruiting the area. So Auburn has had a presence there since the 60's. Recruiting Houston has been hit or miss but mostly because we formally didn't play in the area except for in bowls.

2. You established the tone with "I expected you to respond, and I have respect for your knowledge about the SEC and media, which implies that I don't have knowledge about what I was addressing.

The truth of my statements are contained publicly in the Texas schedules dating back before the formation of the SWC.

3. The fan boy part wasn't addressed to you but to the other Big 12 poster in this thread who didn't realize that Purdue was another major university in Indiana or that they had other G5 schools there.

4. There are a great many Big 12 apologists who tout what Texas will and will never do when that institutionally is irrelevant in the modern sports business milieu. They justify and dismiss the loss of Colorado, Missouri, Nebraska and A&M. They defend beyond reason the scope of what a GOR can do. And many of them bend, twist, cherry pick and distort facts to justify their positions and they are tedious.

5. The future of college football will likely not remain national in scope. The system is declining at all levels of participation in many regions of the country specifically in the West and in some Northern Midwestern areas and along part of the Mid to North Atlantic regions.

It will become a predominantly Southeastern and Southwestern sport with strong participation remaining in Ohio and Pennsylvania and a handful of other states around the country.

This tendency would have manifested itself sooner had it not been for Jim Crow, but since the 80's and the death of that practice in the South, the trend toward football becoming more regionalized has been advancing dramatically and I see no end for that.

I figure when the P5 do separate and set themselves apart the sport will have a more national feel again as more athletes seek to be part of the upper tier and the available talent pool isn't spread as thinly as it is now.

If Texas hadn't been so insistent on playing (and thereby elevating) so many other Texas schools I doubt we would have seen a diminishment in their on field success. Demographically the state supports 5 P level football playing schools and numerous G5's. The talent ratio would be more beneficial to Texas if there were only 3 P schools in the state.

The truth is we are entering another paradigm shift for the future of college sports. Pay for play, rights to image, loss of independent donors and the rise of corporate ones, shrinking state funds, shrinking federal funds, and competition for enrollment are driving it. COVID19 is just the catalyst to react to it all.

Sweeping change is coming and I don't think anyone knows for sure what that is going to eventually entail.

RE: A Sober Look at the Potential Realignment of 2024 - johnintx - 05-06-2020 02:37 PM

(05-06-2020 10:00 AM)texoma Wrote:  Texas A&M has always been the dominate team in Houston. When they moved to the SEC, then LSU, Bama, Auburn and other SEC teams increased their recruiting in the Houston area. I believe Texas felt it was necessary to maintain a presence in Houston to help counter the recruiting by the SEC schools.

That's pure B.S. Auburn's largest extant alumni base was in Houston and has diminished as NASA's prominence in Houston has waned since the Apollo series and the Shuttle days. L.S.U. has always had a strong presence in Houston due to proximity. Bama's success has them recruiting a lot of areas more prominently than in the past.

The Big 12 fan boy justifications for what has always been is absurd. Every solid program in the nation recruits Florida and Georgia and have since the late 70's when recruiting started being a more national in scope. It got started that way in the Jim Crow South when those living outside of it could recruit Southern African American athletes with a high degree of success while the South denied them entrance to its schools. Prior to that virtually all of recruitment was local.

This is a fact lost upon many as to how Nebraska rose to prominence with a sparse state.

Auburn has had a significant presence in Houston since NASA located there. We've cranked out a goodly number of aerospace engineers over the years and that is why Auburn partnered with Purdue on many projects in those days.

And for those who haven't lived long enough L.S.U. and A&M were very old rivals dating back before the formation of the SEC and Houston was their main point of intersection.

Well I stand by my statement that A&M has always been the dominate team in Houston. I do not understand what Auburn having Aerospace Engineers employed at the Space Center has to do with football recruiting.

I agree, LSU has had a presence in Houston for along time. Actually, LSU's presence in Houston was largely due to their rivalry with Rice when Rice was a power house back in the 40's and 50's.

Since A&M entered the SEC, the Houston media has increased their coverage of the SEC considerably and that has got to influence Houston area recruits. I am not going to go back and research recruiting classes of LSU, Bama, etc. since A&M entered the SEC,

It's next to impossible to produce an accurate fan map, but the New York Times published one a few years back, based on zip codes and Facebook likes. This was as close to an accurate map as I have seen. Living on the edge of Houston, I was surprised to see the Houston metro in a light shade of orange.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2014/10/03/upshot/ncaa-football-map.html#10,29.826,-95.170

I live in a suburb, so it's slightly different, but I notice a tilt toward A&M. I wouldn't call it dominant, but slightly tilted toward A&M. I see more A&M stuff than UT where I live. I'd put it in the order of A&M > UT > LSU, with U of H right with or just behind LSU. That generally tracks with what I've seen in the city of Houston. UT is not lacking for support in Houston, though. LSU picks up support due to proximity to Louisiana and from folks that came here after Katrina and stayed.

UT does need a presence in Houston. Houston definitely feels like it has swung to the SEC since A&M joined it. It's not Atlanta or Nashville, but it's not a Big 12 town like DFW is, either. Houston is shared by the SEC and the Big 12, and it is not owned by either.

RE: A Sober Look at the Potential Realignment of 2024 - Thiefery - 05-07-2020 08:26 AM

(05-06-2020 02:37 PM)johnintx Wrote:  

It's next to impossible to produce an accurate fan map, but the New York Times published one a few years back, based on zip codes and Facebook likes. This was as close to an accurate map as I have seen. Living on the edge of Houston, I was surprised to see the Houston metro in a light shade of orange.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2014/10/03/upshot/ncaa-football-map.html#10,29.826,-95.170

I live in a suburb, so it's slightly different, but I notice a tilt toward A&M. I wouldn't call it dominant, but slightly tilted toward A&M. I see more A&M stuff than UT where I live. I'd put it in the order of A&M > UT > LSU, with U of H right with or just behind LSU. That generally tracks with what I've seen in the city of Houston. UT is not lacking for support in Houston, though. LSU picks up support due to proximity to Louisiana and from folks that came here after Katrina and stayed.

UT does need a presence in Houston. Houston definitely feels like it has swung to the SEC since A&M joined it. It's not Atlanta or Nashville, but it's not a Big 12 town like DFW is, either. Houston is shared by the SEC and the Big 12, and it is not owned by either.

I mean college station is close to Houston.. Seems like everyone I knew from Katy was an aggy.. That's why I find it funny how UT has gone into Katy and taken some kids lately that used to be locks for aggy.

Also atm is becoming a diploma mill.. they are accepting close to 70% of it's applicants..SEVENTY PERCENT. That won't hurt UT but it does with schools like Tech.

However UT still can go play a school like Rice and get a near sellout at Reliant stadium..

RE: A Sober Look at the Potential Realignment of 2024 - Thiefery - 05-07-2020 08:33 AM

(05-06-2020 11:31 AM)johnintx Wrote:  
(05-06-2020 09:40 AM)Thiefery Wrote:  I do know that Texas does well playing Rice in Houston. Tons of alumni and fans live in the Houston area. I also think they enjoy sticking it to UH by not scheduling them.

If you look at it's future OOC schedules they play LSU,Ark,Bama,Tosu,Mich,GA, FL.. but also have games against Texas St.. but I think they did it like this because they feel it's an disadvantage to play more than 10 P5 teams compared to schools who play one less in the SEC and ACC.

But I guess that constitutes a business model of sorts

UT played a 2 for 1 with U of H in 2000-01-02. The 2001 game was controversial, in that it was played at the old Robertson Stadium on the U of H campus. This was the year before NRG Stadium was opened, and the Astros and Oilers had already vacated the Astrodome. UT asked for 10,000 tickets in U of H's 32,000 seat stadium. U of H attempted to install temporary bleachers, but they were deemed unsafe. This resulted in 4,150 seats that were sold but were unable to be used.

UH says bleachers no-go

Texas has not played Houston in football since.

U of H has since demolished Robertson Stadium and has replaced it with TDECU Stadium.

There is a lot more institutional rivalry between UT and U of H, but that was the last meeting on the field between the two.

UT has a much better relationship with Rice. They play 2 for 1 as well, but Rice uses NRG Stadium for their home game against UT instead of Rice Stadium. The last UT-Rice game at NRG Stadium was last September, and drew 42,417. That crowd would have fit comfortably within Rice Stadium, but NRG is a superior facility.
ahh and let's not forget about the failed Medical project Texas had to scrap since it ruffled UH administrators the wrong way, once UT bought the land to build on in Houston.
They really tried to use that as a ticket to join the Big 12. I have no issues with UH but Houston is a Pro Sports town. Sure when there is excitement they can pack the house and all.. but when it gets to lean seasons.. they don't.

RE: A Sober Look at the Potential Realignment of 2024 - Thiefery - 05-07-2020 08:57 AM

CDC (Chris Del Conte, Texas AD) had a virtual Q&A session the other day. They asked him about potential expansion/realignment. He said he thinks the Big 12 is at a perfect number because of the round robin scheduling. And once Texas performs to it's standards on the field and courts, consistently... There is no reason to expand or have another round of realignment. He thinks the money will still be there to be had at 10.

Poker face or truth?

RE: A Sober Look at the Potential Realignment of 2024 - bullet - 05-07-2020 09:09 AM

(05-05-2020 02:21 PM)Fighting Muskie Wrote:  Texas definitely has maintained a Texas centric scheduling model and I think it has been intentional in order to boost their presence with alumni across the state.

Had they moved to the Big 8 with just TAMU I think it’s safe to assume they would have maintained a rotation of OOC games among the other former SWC teams to keep that Texas heavy schedule.

If orchestrated properly, Texas could probably go to the SEC and maybe average one fewer game in Texas a year.

As for Florida, I wish their model was still FSU, Miami, plus two home games against G5’s. I wish CFB in general played better OOC schedules and cut down on the rent-a-victim match ups.

A lot of you don't understand the Texas geography. Put Alabama, Tennessee, Mississippi, Arkansas and Louisiana together and you have almost as much land and almost as many people as the state of Texas. So pretty much the whole SEC has the same type of scheduling philosophy.

RE: A Sober Look at the Potential Realignment of 2024 - bullet - 05-07-2020 09:10 AM

(05-05-2020 10:49 AM)texoma Wrote:  
(05-04-2020 07:15 PM)JRsec Wrote:  
(05-04-2020 06:56 PM)texoma Wrote:  
(02-18-2020 06:18 AM)XLance Wrote:  
(02-17-2020 11:00 PM)Nerdlinger Wrote:  Obviously, Lance is joking, but seriously, West Virginia is at least a remote possibility for the ACC.

No Joke!
Texas to the ACC is probably ESPN's #1 option.
It keeps Texas in the fold and allows Texas to keep the LHN, which in turn allows ESPN to pay the 'Horns supplemental income outside of the ACC contract. Partial membership (a la Notre Dame) allows Texas to continue their successful business model which is probably Texas' #1 goal.

Texas business model? I have lived in Texas many years and have known many UT alums, fans and former football players and I have never heard or seen any of them, or any of the Texas media ever mention the Texas business model.

The only place I have ever seen it, is own this board by posters trying to justify their argument for Texas joining the SEC or by other posters that have read it on this board and just repeated it.

Texas will never, put all of their other sports teams on an island where they have to travel to the East Coast for every away conference game. They will not accept a Notre Dame type deal with the ACC. Texas does not settle for anything. They don't have to.

You don't talk about business models. You run them. Texas has one as does Florida and they were both predicated on the same concept, play as many games in state (home and away) as is possible and profitable).

For years Florida's buy games were all in state and two of what we now call power games were between Miami and Florida State. So with 4 SEC home games, 4 games not affiliated with the conference with 2 of them being against small schools (one at the season opener and the other before the Georgia game) and a rotation of Miami and FSU home and away the gators managed to play 8 of their 12 regular season games within the state of Florida.

Texas does the same thing. They get great travel crowds and reach alumni at a farther distance from Austin but within the state by playing Texas Tech, T.C.U. and Baylor. When they had A&M annually and Oklahoma in DFW then with their 2 buy games they too maintained at least 8 games annually on Texas soil. This also keeps revenue and taxes in state. It's just smart business.

This business model spurs donations for away tickets in state, guarantees a solid Longhorn travel crowd and has been the center piece of their athletic department's strategy that keeps them at or near the top in revenue earnings annually.

It is why Texas does what Texas wishes and it is real whether you've heard of it or not. It's not what beat writers talk about because that doesn't sell papers or get blog hits. But it is what all highly successful college athletic departments develop. Notre Dame for instance doesn't build its model on playing 8 games in Indiana, but to the contrary wants exposure nationally. They like to play a game in the Northeast, California, the Deep South, and float one around so they reach alumni everywhere, but also get their name before the entire nation each year.

So while I agree with your sentiment that Texas will do what Texas wishes to do, there is most definitely a pattern (or model) for how they conduct their business and they preserve it, and in part they preserve it by not making it a topic of conversation. When Florida's model was made a topic of national discussion and they had to defend what they had done for years they eventually caved in traveling mostly due to PR. The fact you haven't heard of it is part of its success.

JR, I thought you would respond to my post. I have great respect for your knowledge about the SEC and the TV networks. However, I strongly disagree with what you call the Texas business model, or Texas wanting to play as many games as possible in the State.

Texas wanted to abandon the SWC, because they did not like playing the private schools. Darrell Royal talked about it. They played too many games in Texas. If they won the SWC championship, they were relegated to the old Cotton Bowl in Dallas and it often did not sell out. I remember Jim Brock, the Cotton Bowl hoss, saying if the Cotton Bowl did not get Nebraska or Notre Dame they were in trouble attendance wise. Surprisingly, only A&M playing as the host team guaranteed a sell out.

OU stole a lot of Texas best recruits, because they said come to OU and play Nebraska and Colorado etc, and go to the Orange Bowl in Miami. Go to Texas and never leave the State, except for Arkansas.

So Texas was ready to join the Big 8 with only A&M. Then Texas politics intervened and forced Baylor and Texas Tech to go with them. So TCU, SMU, Rice and Houston were no longer on their schedule and Texas got its wish, other than Baylor and Tech being forced to go with them. So where was the "Texas business model".

Before Texas joined the Big8, I personally attended Texas games at TCU, Baylor and SMU and the games were not sold out, often far from it.

You talk a lot about Florida and Notre Dame. That has nothing to do with Texas.

As I said, i respect your knowledge and enjoy reading your posts, but I think you are wrong about the Texas business model of playing as many games as possible in the State.

The thought was they couldn't get the Dallas and Houston alumni to come to Austin when they played a game every year in Houston (Houston or Rice) and 2 a year in DFW (SMU or TCU and OU).

RE: A Sober Look at the Potential Realignment of 2024 - bullet - 05-07-2020 09:15 AM

A&M has never been "dominant" in Houston. But they are a lot stronger in Houston compared to DFW. SEC recruiting in Texas really hasn't changed over the last 10-15 years except that Nick Saban is regularly able to get a top 10 recruit or two. LSU has always recruited Texas well.

RE: A Sober Look at the Potential Realignment of 2024 - Thiefery - 05-07-2020 09:19 AM

(05-07-2020 09:15 AM)bullet Wrote:  

A&M has never been "dominant" in Houston. But they are a lot stronger in Houston compared to DFW. SEC recruiting in Texas really hasn't changed over the last 10-15 years except that Nick Saban is regularly able to get a top 10 recruit or two. LSU has always recruited Texas well.

Saban has had success with recruits in Texas because of the way Bama has performed. Back in the 80's and early 90's.. lots of the elite talent went to UCLA, FSU, Miami, ND, ou.. It's never been Texas centric outside a couple early Mack Brown classes.

RE: A Sober Look at the Potential Realignment of 2024 - bullet - 05-07-2020 09:21 AM

Maybe you live in the NW suburbs where you could virtually commute to College Station. Inside the Loop, you see more Longhorns. Its probably shifting some since A&M has expanded its size so much in the last 10 years.

A lot of people don't understand that A&M was once a small male engineering/ag school. In the late 60s when UT grew to 40,000 students, A&M still only had about 10,000. In the early 80s when UT grew to 50,000, A&M was about 20-25k. Houston was a bigger school. Texas has kept its size the same, but A&M kept growing to about 45k in the mid 90s. They stayed there until Gov. Perry put pressure on them (and UT but UT resisted) to expand further. Now they are 60-65k.

RE: A Sober Look at the Potential Realignment of 2024 - johnintx - 05-07-2020 10:28 AM

(05-07-2020 09:21 AM)bullet Wrote:  

Maybe you live in the NW suburbs where you could virtually commute to College Station. Inside the Loop, you see more Longhorns. Its probably shifting some since A&M has expanded its size so much in the last 10 years.

A lot of people don't understand that A&M was once a small male engineering/ag school. In the late 60s when UT grew to 40,000 students, A&M still only had about 10,000. In the early 80s when UT grew to 50,000, A&M was about 20-25k. Houston was a bigger school. Texas has kept its size the same, but A&M kept growing to about 45k in the mid 90s. They stayed there until Gov. Perry put pressure on them (and UT but UT resisted) to expand further. Now they are 60-65k.

I had a roommate whose dad went to A&M in the old days: all white, all male, all Corps. It's a totally different place now.

I live northeast of the airport. A lot of these younger Aggies have ended up here. They're a lot more visible. They recruit our high schools hard, and a lot of them come back after graduation. Still, there are plenty of UT fans here.

RE: A Sober Look at the Potential Realignment of 2024 - Fighting Muskie - 05-07-2020 02:40 PM

(05-07-2020 09:09 AM)bullet Wrote:  
(05-05-2020 02:21 PM)Fighting Muskie Wrote:  Texas definitely has maintained a Texas centric scheduling model and I think it has been intentional in order to boost their presence with alumni across the state.

Had they moved to the Big 8 with just TAMU I think it’s safe to assume they would have maintained a rotation of OOC games among the other former SWC teams to keep that Texas heavy schedule.

If orchestrated properly, Texas could probably go to the SEC and maybe average one fewer game in Texas a year.

As for Florida, I wish their model was still FSU, Miami, plus two home games against G5’s. I wish CFB in general played better OOC schedules and cut down on the rent-a-victim match ups.

A lot of you don't understand the Texas geography. Put Alabama, Tennessee, Mississippi, Arkansas and Louisiana together and you have almost as much land and almost as many people as the state of Texas. So pretty much the whole SEC has the same type of scheduling philosophy.

I completely understand the geography but we are talking apples and oranges here. The mileage may be the same but the mindset is different. Texas is all one big state. The Longhorn scheduling philosophy has always been about getting citizens from all around their very big state to buy in and support the state flagship university.

Alabama hasn’t spent 100 years in a conference with LSU because they think Louisiana residents are going to flock to support the Crimson Tide. They play because it’s a reasonable road trip and the schools think of each other as peers.

The presence of state lines makes all the difference.

Ask Cincinnati, or Memphis, or Louisville or any school that’s on or close to a state border how much support they get from the other side of the state border. My guess is not a whole lot because the sense of ownership and connection to that state funded university isn’t there.

RE: A Sober Look at the Potential Realignment of 2024 - Thiefery - 05-08-2020 07:33 AM

Yeah but the schools in the state of Texas hate eachother.. which makes for great games.

RE: A Sober Look at the Potential Realignment of 2024 - Transic_nyc - 06-18-2020 11:06 AM

Now that we know that Disney is about to acquire full content rights to the SEC I think Disney is going to find itself in a conundrum with how they want to promote the properties that they have. While the SEC is a massive gain for them it also means that they have an excess of programs in the Southeast between what they have from different conferences. They would like to promote their brands deeper outside the Southeast. However, the eastern two thirds of the country are most in tune with college sports.

Now look at Fox Corporation. They have a strong foothold in the Big Ten and a big piece of the Big 12 through Oklahoma. What would they want? More content in the Southeast. Why? To help buttress the content they have through the Big 12 and Big Ten for FS1 and the Fox network. Outside the programs of UT and OU it is very difficult to promote the Big 12 outside of the immediate area. The Big Ten is more solid but would use more exposure in the eastern seaboard.

What would both companies think would be excess content? The PAC, due to time zone differences, fan engagement relative to programs back east and the difficulty to find optimal slots for games when pinned against other established conferences.

Objective: finding the right mix of programs so that there is less of a chance for games people don't care much about being placed in prime hours.

Complicating this is the reality of working around the Major League Baseball playoff calendar but that gives Fox an opportunity of sending a few Big Ten games that would be placed on Fridays back to Disney in exchange for other considerations.

What I'm seeing as a possibility is both Fox and Disney engaging in a horse trade involving programs from the Big Ten, Big 12 and ACC, in which each use what they have in excess to get other content they want. Some sort of consolidation would be involved as well. Fox would likely keep BTN but it would probably be renamed since games wouldn't be exclusive to one conference. In that case, the Big Ten members would probably be repaid the investment monies they have put in.

The PAC is likely to go to either a major streaming company or to Comcast. Comcast has a major presence through their regional networks in the Pacific states. And they have the money to buy out the PAC Networks if they choose to do so.

RE: A Sober Look at the Potential Realignment of 2024 - Thiefery - 06-18-2020 11:19 AM

(06-18-2020 11:06 AM)Transic_nyc Wrote:  Now that we know that Disney is about to acquire full content rights to the SEC I think Disney is going to find itself in a conundrum with how they want to promote the properties that they have. While the SEC is a massive gain for them it also means that they have an excess of programs in the Southeast between what they have from different conferences. They would like to promote their brands deeper outside the Southeast. However, the eastern two thirds of the country are most in tune with college sports.

Now look at Fox Corporation. They have a strong foothold in the Big Ten and a big piece of the Big 12 through Oklahoma. What would they want? More content in the Southeast. Why? To help buttress the content they have through the Big 12 and Big Ten for FS1 and the Fox network. Outside the programs of UT and OU it is very difficult to promote the Big 12 outside of the immediate area. The Big Ten is more solid but would use more exposure in the eastern seaboard.

What would both companies think would be excess content? The PAC, due to time zone differences, fan engagement relative to programs back east and the difficulty to find optimal slots for games when pinned against other established conferences.

Objective: finding the right mix of programs so that there is less of a chance for games people don't care much about being placed in prime hours.

Complicating this is the reality of working around the Major League Baseball playoff calendar but that gives Fox an opportunity of sending a few Big Ten games that would be placed on Fridays back to Disney in exchange for other considerations.

What I'm seeing as a possibility is both Fox and Disney engaging in a horse trade involving programs from the Big Ten, Big 12 and ACC, in which each use what they have in excess to get other content they want. Some sort of consolidation would be involved as well. Fox would likely keep BTN but it would probably be renamed since games wouldn't be exclusive to one conference. In that case, the Big Ten members would probably be repaid the investment monies they have put in.

The PAC is likely to go to either a major streaming company or to Comcast. Comcast has a major presence through their regional networks in the Pacific states. And they have the money to buy out the PAC Networks if they choose to do so.

Sounds like some Illuminati type works but if it makes better sense, I'm all for it.

RE: A Sober Look at the Potential Realignment of 2024 - Hokie Mark - 06-19-2020 02:32 PM

(06-18-2020 11:06 AM)Transic_nyc Wrote:  Now that we know that Disney is about to acquire full content rights to the SEC I think Disney is going to find itself in a conundrum with how they want to promote the properties that they have. While the SEC is a massive gain for them it also means that they have an excess of programs in the Southeast between what they have from different conferences. They would like to promote their brands deeper outside the Southeast. However, the eastern two thirds of the country are most in tune with college sports.

I'm gonna go all "JR" on you and say that, NO, what ESPN really wants is a monopoly over the Southeast.
(I'm sure JR would say something like that)

RE: A Sober Look at the Potential Realignment of 2024 - schmolik - 06-19-2020 02:38 PM

(06-19-2020 02:32 PM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  

I'm gonna go all "JR" on you and say that, NO, what ESPN really wants is a monopoly over the Southeast.

ESPN would want a monopoly over college football (at least P5) if they could afford it. They can't.

RE: A Sober Look at the Potential Realignment of 2024 - AllTideUp - 06-19-2020 02:41 PM

Funny thing about that...

The current dispute over when to restart the season and how many games to play may have a lasting effect. The CBC is over at the end of next season so there's not only a possibility that baseball misses the entire 2020 season, but that 2021 is significantly curtailed or abandoned as well.

Some fans are already angry and it's possible the MLB could suffer a long term drought in fan support over all this.

RE: A Sober Look at the Potential Realignment of 2024 - JRsec - 06-19-2020 02:49 PM

(06-19-2020 02:38 PM)schmolik Wrote:  

ESPN would want a monopoly over college football (at least P5) if they could afford it. They can't.

The issue is other. ESPN sees the demographic trends and knows by 2035 that College football will predominantly be a Southeastern and Southwestern sport. Interest out west is fading and interest in New England isn't that strong either.

I'm sure in the back of their minds is the possibility that as recruiting talent continues to diminish in the Northeast and most of the Northwest, save for pockets in Ohio and Pennsylvania, that eventually the main football schools of the Northern Midwest and the few Pacific Coast schools that will be all in will be easier to move into a league that is built around the Southeast and Southwest.

And that they can control. Washington, U.S.C., U.C.L.A. Stanford, Utah, and Oregon added to Michigan, Michigan State, Penn State, Ohio State, Wisconsin and Iowa are only 12 schools which if they sold their football rights separate from their conferences could easily be coalesced into a league centered in the Southeast/west. If some of the weaker schools in the main region bail it makes even more sense.

So why buy the total rights to the PAC and Big 10 when you can wait about 10 years and simply take the best schools.

RE: A Sober Look at the Potential Realignment of 2024 - JRsec - 06-19-2020 02:51 PM