CSNbbs
A Sober Look at the Potential Realignment of 2024 - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: College Sports and Conference Realignment (/forum-637.html)
+----- Forum: P5 Discussion (/forum-997.html)
+----- Thread: A Sober Look at the Potential Realignment of 2024 (/thread-892312.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35

RE: A Sober Look at the Potential Realignment of 2024 - schmolik - 02-01-2021 02:15 PM

(02-01-2021 01:57 PM)BePcr07 Wrote:  There’s a misunderstanding of why Texas Tech is often included with Texas and it has zero to do with Texas Tech being a magnificent standalone addition and everything to do with Texas. Texas wants games in the State of Texas. That means OOC and in-conference. Texas Tech provides an annual in-state game. Further, Texas Tech has a ton of alumni all over the state. They are a very well known institution. Unless Texas goes independent, Texas Tech has almost no reason to fear being left behind.

TCU is a good school and I think they will not be left in the abyss. I’m hesitant for Baylor unless the XII is able to rebuild.

If Texas wants an additional annual in state game, bring Oklahoma with you to the conference. Every major conference will agree to that.

RE: A Sober Look at the Potential Realignment of 2024 - Thiefery - 02-01-2021 02:18 PM

(02-01-2021 02:15 PM)schmolik Wrote:  
(02-01-2021 01:57 PM)BePcr07 Wrote:  There’s a misunderstanding of why Texas Tech is often included with Texas and it has zero to do with Texas Tech being a magnificent standalone addition and everything to do with Texas. Texas wants games in the State of Texas. That means OOC and in-conference. Texas Tech provides an annual in-state game. Further, Texas Tech has a ton of alumni all over the state. They are a very well known institution. Unless Texas goes independent, Texas Tech has almost no reason to fear being left behind.

TCU is a good school and I think they will not be left in the abyss. I’m hesitant for Baylor unless the XII is able to rebuild.

If Texas wants an additional annual in state game, bring Oklahoma with you to the conference. Every major conference will agree to that.

ooooohhhh i bet there is one fanbase in the state of Texas who would OBJECT to the thought of both UT and ou being in the SEC west

A Sober Look at the Potential Realignment of 2024 - Cowboy Frog - 02-01-2021 03:13 PM

The ONLY reason to add teams and the ONLY reason to play intercollegiate sports is to provide your admissions staff with interested High school recruits and your Alumni with a comfortable and convenient venue to watch their Alma Mater play sport’s ... A College based in Lubbock that is a perrinial big 12 Bottom feeder in football brings nothing to the table ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

A Sober Look at the Potential Realignment of 2024 - Cowboy Frog - 02-01-2021 03:26 PM

Like USC ..SMU was founded by and maintains a unique relationship with the Episcopal Methodist Church

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

RE: A Sober Look at the Potential Realignment of 2024 - bullet - 02-01-2021 04:00 PM

(02-01-2021 12:45 PM)Cowboy Frog Wrote:  Tech and Kansas are perineal BOTToM feeders in BIG 12 Football .... Not a good add for any conference

Kansas yes, but they have other attributes.

Texas Tech, maybe the last few years, but during the 15 year 12 team Big 12 era, they had the 4th best record (69-51), behind only Texas, Oklahoma and Nebraska. Over the last 10 years, they were tied for 3rd with Nebraska at 47-33 and NU didn't have to play Texas and OU every year.

A Sober Look at the Potential Realignment of 2024 - michael.stevens.3110 - 02-01-2021 04:03 PM

And Texas was once a Republic .....BUT , We live in TODAY ..and If there is realignment , It will be with Universities that exist TODAY ..!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RE: A Sober Look at the Potential Realignment of 2024 - Thiefery - 02-01-2021 04:29 PM

(02-01-2021 03:26 PM)Cowboy Frog Wrote:  Like USC ..SMU was founded by and maintains a unique relationship with the Episcopal Methodist Church

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

wow..never knew they were so alike

RE: A Sober Look at the Potential Realignment of 2024 - bullet - 02-01-2021 08:19 PM

(02-01-2021 04:03 PM)michael.stevens.3110 Wrote:  And Texas was once a Republic .....BUT , We live in TODAY ..and If there is realignment , It will be with Universities that exist TODAY ..!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

By that standard, Texas and Michigan and USC have little value. But we know that's not true. Programs are more than their last 5 seasons.

A Sober Look at the Potential Realignment of 2024 - Cowboy Frog - 02-01-2021 08:41 PM

Those a Flagship Universities with long traditions for BoTH academic and Athletic excellence ... Unfortunately that is NOat the case in Lubbock

RE: A Sober Look at the Potential Realignment of 2024 - SlyFox - 02-02-2021 09:52 AM

I think some of you are grossly overstating the UT sentiments about playing in West Texas. Games in DFW & Houston for their alumni bases are really all they have interest in pursuing. The game at the State Fair every October would continue to accomplish that goal and if joining the SEC a game vs LSU or Arkansas in Houston would check those boxes. That is why UT-OU as a pair makes the most sense whichever direction they chose to go.

And I apologize about my misreading Okie politics. Thankfully I continue to view them from a distance.

RE: A Sober Look at the Potential Realignment of 2024 - bullet - 02-02-2021 10:52 AM

Texas Tech is important to Texas. Texas wants them to continue to improve academically to keep political pressure off Texas to expand beyond the number of students they think they can handle. Texas has stayed at roughly 50,000 students since the early 80s. Texas A&M stayed at 45,000 from mid 90s to around 2010. Then they gave in to political pressure and have expanded to over 60,000 at the expense of their quality. President Powers at Texas narrowly beat off an attempt to remove him because he refused to turn Texas into a diploma mill.

RE: A Sober Look at the Potential Realignment of 2024 - bullet - 02-02-2021 10:55 AM

And Texas Tech does still have significant influence in the Texas legislature. Not what they did in the 90s when Tech and Baylor had the Governor, Lt. Governor, Speaker of the House, Senate leader and leaders of several key committees. But its still significant. And Texas and Texas A&M don't want to make enemies. There are continual efforts to change the Permanent University Fund which is an endowment that benefits only the University of Texas and Texas A&M systems.

RE: A Sober Look at the Potential Realignment of 2024 - SlyFox - 02-02-2021 11:07 AM

Those mineral rights remain a significant factor. But honestly the biggest legal threats to the fund have come from the UH crowd. A Big XII exit by the Horns would most certainly open the door for the Coogs.

The reticence in Austin to avoid being perceived as a diploma mill is understandable. But we are a LONG way from that perception. The move toward stepping away from automatic qualifiers is biggest factor in that regard.

Once again, UT demanding Tech come along for any realignment ride would be simply for having a little brother vote on league issues. And I think the UT administrators will have ample leverage should they enter into any league including their neighbors to the east.

A Sober Look at the Potential Realignment of 2024 - Cowboy Frog - 02-02-2021 12:15 PM

UT and Texas A&M are far and away the States Flagship Public Institutions .. Both Academically and Athletically .. Rice , SMU , Baylor and TCU are National leaders in Academics with the latter two also strong in College Football .... Texas Tech is a Bottom Feeder in Both Academics and Football ...NO demand from a National Perspective

A Sober Look at the Potential Realignment of 2024 - Cowboy Frog - 02-02-2021 12:15 PM

UT and Texas A&M are far and away the States Flagship Public Institutions .. Both Academically and Athletically .. Rice , SMU , Baylor and TCU are National leaders in Academics with the latter two also strong in College Football .... Texas Tech is a Bottom Feeder in Both Academics and Football ...NO demand from a National Perspective

RE: A Sober Look at the Potential Realignment of 2024 - DawgNBama - 02-02-2021 02:01 PM

Fox Network would then say, "over our dead bodies." If what you are proposing is so easy, the Big 12 would have a conference network by now, because Fox would be out of the way; but they are NOT out of the way. ESPN is powerful, but not so powerful that they can void a team's contact with another network.

RE: A Sober Look at the Potential Realignment of 2024 - DawgNBama - 02-02-2021 02:06 PM

(02-02-2021 12:15 PM)Cowboy Frog Wrote:  UT and Texas A&M are far and away the States Flagship Public Institutions .. Both Academically and Athletically .. Rice , SMU , Baylor and TCU are National leaders in Academics with the latter two also strong in College Football .... Texas Tech is a Bottom Feeder in Both Academics and Football ...NO demand from a National Perspective

Sounds like sour grapes from a TCU perspective to me. Texas State, Texas Southern, and North Texas are bottom feeders in both academics and football, IMO. Very little, if any demand from a national perspective.

RE: A Sober Look at the Potential Realignment of 2024 - clpp01 - 02-02-2021 02:19 PM

(02-02-2021 12:15 PM)Cowboy Frog Wrote:  UT and Texas A&M are far and away the States Flagship Public Institutions .. Both Academically and Athletically .. Rice , SMU , Baylor and TCU are National leaders in Academics with the latter two also strong in College Football .... Texas Tech is a Bottom Feeder in Both Academics and Football ...NO demand from a National Perspective

Well 1 of those 4 are anyways

RE: A Sober Look at the Potential Realignment of 2024 - schmolik - 02-02-2021 02:55 PM

(02-02-2021 02:01 PM)DawgNBama Wrote:  

Fox Network would then say, "over our dead bodies." If what you are proposing is so easy, the Big 12 would have a conference network by now, because Fox would be out of the way; but they are NOT out of the way. ESPN is powerful, but not so powerful that they can void a team's contact with another network.

Oklahoma's contract will end slightly before the Big 12 media rights expire, I believe the 2022/23 season.

https://www.dallasnews.com/sports/oklahoma-sooners/2012/09/12/oklahoma-fox-sports-reach-10-year-agreement-for-sooner-sports-tv/

RE: A Sober Look at the Potential Realignment of 2024 - Thiefery - 02-04-2021 08:43 AM

We will all see soon enough how much Fox is really invested into CFB outside the BIG. ou deal is set to expire soon, will they re up with Fox? Will Fox convince them to look at joining the BIG where they are putting it's money in?