CSNbbs
City of Birmingham, AL? - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: AAC Conference Talk (/forum-409.html)
+----- Forum: Off Topic (/forum-738.html)
+----- Thread: City of Birmingham, AL? (/thread-891830.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

City of Birmingham, AL? - Knightrogen - 01-05-2020 06:09 PM

City of Birmingham, Alabama has the largest College Football TV fanbase in the country. And it has a population of 210,000. Also they have their own International Airport.

University of Alabama at Birmingham is near the city. Isn't UAB going to get an NBA style Basketball arena? What about their new football stadium?

What was the deal between Alabama BOT and UAB football team 2014/15 when they almost cancelled the program?

Is University of Alabama just politically superior than UAB? And they can control everything about UAB? Heck no...

Just some post about our past CUSA mate. Birmingham is definitely interesting...

RE: City of Birmingham, AL? - wscoog - 01-05-2020 06:13 PM

(01-05-2020 06:09 PM)Knightrogen Wrote:  City of Birmingham, Alabama has the largest College Football TV fanbase in the country. And it has a population of 210,000. Also they have their own International Airport.

When my Dad was driving me from Louisiana to Florida, we passed by City of Birmingham on the highway 10 and the city is beautiful.

University of Alabama at Birmingham is near the city. Isn't UAB going to get an NBA style Basketball arena? What about their new football stadium?

What was the deal between Alabama BOT and UAB football team 2014/15 when they almost cancelled the program?

Is University of Alabama just politically superior than UAB? And they can control everything about UAB? Heck no...

Just some post about our past CUSA mate. Birmingham is definitely interesting...
Does davidst have a new screen name?

City of Birmingham, AL? - Pony94 - 01-05-2020 06:24 PM

Lots of ToddRodge impersonators lately

RE: City of Birmingham, AL? - shere khan - 01-05-2020 06:26 PM

(01-05-2020 06:09 PM)Knightrogen Wrote:  City of Birmingham, Alabama has the largest College Football TV fanbase in the country. And it has a population of 210,000. Also they have their own International Airport.

When my Dad was driving me from Louisiana to Florida, we passed by City of Birmingham on the highway 10 and the city is beautiful.

[Image: 7b4.gif]

RE: City of Birmingham, AL? - Attackcoog - 01-05-2020 06:26 PM

I almost feel like I should just move this to the smack board on general principle. I mean, its just been done so many times with the same result. Maybe we can put a new spin on this. With their new stadium should Birmingham create a new mega G5 bowl with the MW champ vs CUSA champ? Maybe something like that can salvage the thread.

RE: City of Birmingham, AL? - Knightrogen - 01-05-2020 06:32 PM

(01-05-2020 06:26 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  I almost feel like I should just move this to the smack board on general principle. I mean, its just been done so many times with the same result. Maybe we can put a new spin on this. With their new stadium should Birmingham create a new mega G5 bowl with the MW champ vs CUSA champ? Maybe something like that can salvage the thread.

Sorry here. I am kinda new to this forum.

I just find it is interesting.

RE: City of Birmingham, AL? - Knightrogen - 01-05-2020 06:34 PM

(01-05-2020 06:26 PM)shere khan Wrote:  

[Image: 7b4.gif]

That was Mobile, Alabama. My bad

RE: City of Birmingham, AL? - Attackcoog - 01-05-2020 06:35 PM

(01-05-2020 06:32 PM)Knightrogen Wrote:  
(01-05-2020 06:26 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  I almost feel like I should just move this to the smack board on general principle. I mean, its just been done so many times with the same result. Maybe we can put a new spin on this. With their new stadium should Birmingham create a new mega G5 bowl with the MW champ vs CUSA champ? Maybe something like that can salvage the thread.

lol....we are just messin with you. Just poking fun at the thread becasue UAB and others have been kicked around so much. Your thread is just fine...oh, and welcome to the board. 04-cheers

RE: City of Birmingham, AL? - Knightrogen - 01-05-2020 06:40 PM

(01-05-2020 06:35 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  

lol....we are just messin with you. Just poking fun at the thread becasue UAB and others have been kicked around so much. Your thread is just fine...oh, and welcome to the board. 04-cheers

Isn't it surprising that Birmingham has the largest TV viewers in the entire country for College Football? Are they all Bama fans? lol

RE: City of Birmingham, AL? - sierrajip - 01-05-2020 06:47 PM

(01-05-2020 06:40 PM)Knightrogen Wrote:  

Isn't it surprising that Birmingham has the largest TV viewers in the entire country for College Football? Are they all Bama fans? lol

RE: City of Birmingham, AL? - Attackcoog - 01-05-2020 06:49 PM

Bunch of em are. They seem to be Bama fans first---then SEC fans second. The new stadium will be very nice. Unfortunately, UAB football has had its troubles drawing much support from Birmingham.
There was a wonderful burst of support that saved the program when it was temporarily killed a few years ago----but the way UAB football attendance slowly trended downward over the course of a division winning 9-win 2019 season is troubling if you are looking at UAB's long term support potential.

RE: City of Birmingham, AL? - Knightrogen - 01-05-2020 06:56 PM

(01-05-2020 06:49 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  

Bunch of em are. They seem to be Bama fans first---then SEC fans second. The new stadium will be very nice. Unfortunately, UAB football has had its troubles drawing much support from Birmingham.
There was a wonderful burst of support that saved the program when it was temporarily killed a few years ago----but the way UAB football attendance slowly trended downward over the course of a division winning 9-win 2019 season is troubling if you are looking at UAB's long term support potential.

Aren't they getting a new Basketball Arena also?

Is UAB still being controlled by U of Alabama? Feel bad for them if so. That would be like UF controlling UCF

RE: City of Birmingham, AL? - pvtlamb - 01-05-2020 09:23 PM

What's their international airport destination? Grand Cayman?

RE: City of Birmingham, AL? - Knightrogen - 01-05-2020 09:35 PM

(01-05-2020 09:23 PM)pvtlamb Wrote:  What's their international airport destination? Grand Cayman?

Google it.

https://www.flybirmingham.com/flying-out/departures/

Established in 1931, The Birmingham Airport has been welcoming travelers to The Magic City and serving as Central Alabama’s gateway to the sky for more than 80 years. Governed by the Birmingham Airport Authority since its establishment in 1986, the airport has evolved into a catalyst for growth and economic development for the entire Birmingham region. In 2008, the airport was renamed Birmingham-Shuttlesworth International Airport to honor the world-changing legacy of late Birmingham civil rights activist Rev. Fred Shuttlesworth. In 2014, the Birmingham-Shuttlesworth International Airport completed its $201.6 million terminal modernization. The state’s largest airport in terms of passenger traffic, BHM hosts four airlines with service to nearly 400 unique destinations, connecting Birmingham globally, with as little as one stop.

RE: City of Birmingham, AL? - Atlanta - 01-05-2020 09:58 PM

BHM is only 2hrs from the west half of metro ATL. It attracts a significant number of air travelers from metro ATL west due to sometimes bargain rates to select locations outside of DL's ATL near monopoly.

It's a shame UAB can't garner & maintain a high level of support. They could be a nice addition to the AAC if they could, same for GA St - who unfortunately lacks both fan support & a competitive FB program.

RE: City of Birmingham, AL? - pvtlamb - 01-05-2020 09:59 PM

(01-05-2020 09:35 PM)Knightrogen Wrote:  
(01-05-2020 09:23 PM)pvtlamb Wrote:  What's their international airport destination? Grand Cayman?

Google it.

Established in 1931, The Birmingham Airport has been welcoming travelers to The Magic City and serving as Central Alabama’s gateway to the sky for more than 80 years. Governed by the Birmingham Airport Authority since its establishment in 1986, the airport has evolved into a catalyst for growth and economic development for the entire Birmingham region. In 2008, the airport was renamed Birmingham-Shuttlesworth International Airport to honor the world-changing legacy of late Birmingham civil rights activist Rev. Fred Shuttlesworth. In 2014, the Birmingham-Shuttlesworth International Airport completed its $201.6 million terminal modernization. The state’s largest airport in terms of passenger traffic, BHM hosts four airlines with service to nearly 400 unique destinations, connecting Birmingham globally, with as little as one stop.

You didn't answer the question, and I didn't see a single international destination on the list. But perhaps I missed something.

RE: City of Birmingham, AL? - Rob3338 - 01-05-2020 10:22 PM

I would much rather watch UC or any of our teams play in Grand Cayman than in Birmingham. Unfortunately every time I have been to Grand Cayman there was no mention of a university or football. Perhaps we could move UAB to Grand Cayman?

RE: City of Birmingham, AL? - Enriquillo - 01-05-2020 11:41 PM

(01-05-2020 09:59 PM)pvtlamb Wrote:  
(01-05-2020 09:35 PM)Knightrogen Wrote:  

Google it.

You didn't answer the question, and I didn't see a single international destination on the list. But perhaps I missed something.

Any airport that has Customs service available is an "international" airport. This applies even if only for business aviation, charters or cargo.

I will leave it to UAB's former conference mates to opine on the relative attractiveness of UAB athletics.

RE: City of Birmingham, AL? - Shannon Panther - 01-06-2020 12:29 AM

Cancun

RE: City of Birmingham, AL? - wavefan12 - 01-06-2020 02:55 AM

So apparently u don’t understand the difference between % and total.