CSNbbs
The Greatest Half of Basketball Ever Played by EMU and Possibly any MAC Team - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: MACbbs (/forum-513.html)
+---- Forum: MAC - West Team Talk (/forum-464.html)
+----- Forum: Eastern Michigan (/forum-478.html)
+----- Thread: The Greatest Half of Basketball Ever Played by EMU and Possibly any MAC Team (/thread-890491.html)

The Greatest Half of Basketball Ever Played by EMU and Possibly any MAC Team - Luckeyone - 12-15-2019 01:32 PM

I was there that night when EMU was leading 14th ranked Wisconsin 50-17 at halftime. If I had not seen it with my own eyes, I would not have believed it.

https://emueagles.com/news/2019/12/10/mens-basketball-this-day-in-histore.aspx

When I coached travel basketball, our scheme was all about playing fast. I used to tell my kids, if you can play fast, you can play with anyone. Earl, Derrick, and Brian could play fast. Those were great memories for EMU Basketball and boy oh boy what an advantage Bowen was for EMU!!!

RE: The Greatest Half of Basketball Ever Played by EMU and Possibly any MAC Team - emu steve - 12-15-2019 01:49 PM

(12-15-2019 01:32 PM)Luckeyone Wrote:  I was there that night when EMU was leading 14th ranked Wisconsin 50-17 at halftime. If I had not seen it with my own eyes, I would not have believed it.

When I coached travel basketball, our scheme was all about playing fast. I used to tell my kids, if you can play fast, you can play with anyone. Earl, Derrick, and Brian could play fast. Those were great memories for EMU Basketball and boy oh boy what an advantage Bowen was for EMU!!!

Yes. Speed kills on the highways and on the hard court.

Those days I spent more time in S.E. MI and talked with coaches and players. Dial was the one, I think, who told me their times in the fall outdoor mile.

Almost all players were under 5 minutes in the mile and several were below 4:30 (think it was Boykins and Dial).

Amazing to have players around 6' 8 or so, running sub-5 minutes in the mile.

I was at the Wisconsin game and still can not believe what I saw in the 1st half...

After the blowout, our AD told me a great game but we'll never see another B1G team at Bowen again. What he meant is that another B1G team would never come to Bowen after what happened.

No coach is going to risk embarrassment.

RE: The Greatest Half of Basketball Ever Played by EMU and Possibly any MAC Team - Bob Wickersham - 12-15-2019 07:50 PM

(12-15-2019 01:49 PM)emu steve Wrote:  
(12-15-2019 01:32 PM)Luckeyone Wrote:  I was there that night when EMU was leading 14th ranked Wisconsin 50-17 at halftime. If I had not seen it with my own eyes, I would not have believed it.

Those days I spent more time in S.E. MI and talked with coaches and players. Dial was the one, I think, who told me their times in the fall outdoor mile.

Almost all players were under 5 minutes in the mile and several were below 4:30 (think it was Boykins and Dial).

I was at the Wisconsin game and still can not believe what I saw in the 1st half...

After the blowout, our AD told me a great game but we'll never see another B1G team at Bowen again. What he meant is that another B1G team would never come to Bowen after what happened.

There is no way in hell the basketball team was running sub 5 minute miles! Sub 6 minute miles maybe but if they were running 4:30 miles, they'd be better runners than the cross country team and that is simply not possible.

RE: The Greatest Half of Basketball Ever Played by EMU and Possibly any MAC Team - emu steve - 12-15-2019 08:05 PM

(12-15-2019 07:50 PM)Bob Wickersham Wrote:  
(12-15-2019 01:49 PM)emu steve Wrote:  

There is no way in hell the basketball team was running sub 5 minute miles! Sub 6 minute miles maybe but if they were running 4:30 miles, they'd be better runners than the cross country team and that is simply not possible.

Bob, I understand the point you are making, but...

First, Boykins was a h.s. track star.

Just for hoots, I ran in an INTRA-mural track meet at EMU and I finished 7th out of 8 runners in an indoor mile at Bowen. I ran 5:23.

I was added so that if I beat anyone I would earn a point.

My recollection is that probably the top 6 all ran sub-5 minute miles.

As far as times, I think college T&F runners run a lot faster than you give them credit.

BTW, I believe Brian Miller told me the same thing about what kind of times they were running.

RE: The Greatest Half of Basketball Ever Played by EMU and Possibly any MAC Team - ljmhurons - 12-16-2019 01:12 AM

Track teams don't normally compete the mile. Instead they run 1500 meters. There are conversion tables.

5:00 for a mile is a very slow time for men track athletes. We've had guys go below four minutes. We've had many women below five minutes.