CSNbbs
Thoughts on this disaster - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Big12bbs (/forum-260.html)
+---- Forum: Big 12 Team Talk (/forum-783.html)
+----- Forum: The Gregory A. Ruehlmann Sr. Memorial Cincinnati Board (/forum-404.html)
+----- Thread: Thoughts on this disaster (/thread-890466.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Thoughts on this disaster - jarr - 12-14-2019 09:13 PM

Lets face it, Bohn fumbled the coaching situation. I clearly wasn't a huge fan of Cronin, but was in favor of giving him what he needed if he was going to stay. Bohn did it half a$$ and got stuck with his pants down and Mick leaving late in the process, not leaving us with not many options. All of the really good options were gone and Bohn was too holier than though to get Pitino or Forbes.

Maybe Brannen is just one of those guys who needs his guys, and to be fair this team is not assembled well, and that isn't all on Brannen. Also, Jarron has been a trainwreck, which this team was heavily dependent on. What are you supposed to do, other than sit him at this point.

RE: Thoughts on this disaster - jarr - 12-14-2019 09:18 PM

All the holier than though folks bashed me for saying Pitino, Brannen was always the safe vanilla hire. He needs to light a fire under his a$$, doesn't need to be Huggins or Mick, but the Zebras are walking all over him.

Thoughts on this disaster - crex043 - 12-14-2019 09:21 PM

Brannen is the man. He needs to get his own guys - not guys that need to constantly be looking back at the bench for direction from someone who isn't here anymore.

At a minimum, Cumberland is not in mental game shape. If this doesn't light a fire under his ass, start someone else.

RE: Thoughts on this disaster - Former Lurker - 12-14-2019 09:23 PM

With Pitino, the roster would be vastly superior and we'd probably be undefeated and ranked in the top 20.

But could we have realistically afforded him? IDK, the games would be sellouts and on ESPN instead of FSO, but the economics still may not have added up.

RE: Thoughts on this disaster - bearcatlawjd2 - 12-14-2019 09:25 PM

(12-14-2019 09:23 PM)Former Lurker Wrote:  With Pitino, the roster would be vastly superior and we'd probably be undefeated and ranked in the top 20.

But could we have realistically afforded him? IDK, the games would be sellouts and on ESPN instead of FSO, but the economics still may not have added up.

Anybody with real high mid major or high major experience would have been better. Instead we have a low major rookie coach.

RE: Thoughts on this disaster - jarr - 12-14-2019 09:25 PM

(12-14-2019 09:23 PM)Former Lurker Wrote:  With Pitino, the roster would be vastly superior and we'd probably be undefeated and ranked in the top 20.

Absolutely we could have afforded him. The dude was literally openly asking teams to give him a chance. Was trying to get St. Johns and other schools to give him a chance. Our f*cking saintly BOT and carpetbagger AD don't care about the fans or winning.

RE: Thoughts on this disaster - Romell Shorter - 12-14-2019 09:27 PM

I think a majority of our fans have not only lost their minds, but also a sense of basketball reality.

RE: Thoughts on this disaster - crex043 - 12-14-2019 09:27 PM

(12-14-2019 09:25 PM)jarr Wrote:  

Absolutely we could have afforded him. The dude was literally openly asking teams to give him a chance. Was trying to get St. Johns and other schools to give him a chance. Our f*cking saintly BOT and carpetbagger AD don't care about the fans or winning.
If Pitino is such a great option, why hasn't someone hired him yet?

RE: Thoughts on this disaster - jarr - 12-14-2019 09:27 PM

The new AD may want to at least reach out to peak interest from Pitino. He has about 7-8 good years left and is the only one that I think can get this program back to expectations. We are right now on the verge of being the next UNLV.

RE: Thoughts on this disaster - OldenburgCat - 12-14-2019 09:28 PM

(12-14-2019 09:27 PM)crex043 Wrote:  

Great point. As much as I would love to win, I don't want to win "at all costs." He brings a ton of baggage with him. We can still win the right way.

RE: Thoughts on this disaster - rath v2.0 - 12-14-2019 09:31 PM

Who thought it was a good idea to play Cumberland? Dude was wincing and grabbing his left hip all game.

Seriously. Who is making these decisions?

This season us screwed before XMas. Awesome. Just ******* awesome.

RE: Thoughts on this disaster - jarr - 12-14-2019 09:31 PM

Alot of chicken BOT members. No big time schools would make a run at Calipari for a long time. UCLA had a few opportunities to get him but never wanted to pull the trigger. UK passed on him, but it tool Billy Gillespie for them to finally come to their senses. Winning cures all. This program is on the brink of falling into complete obscurity, and doing in the G5 purgatory will kill us.

RE: Thoughts on this disaster - jarr - 12-14-2019 09:34 PM

(12-14-2019 09:31 PM)rath v2.0 Wrote:  Who thought it was a good idea to play Cumberland? Dude was wincing and grabbing his left hip all game.

Seriously. Who is making these decisions?

This season us screwed before XMas. Awesome. Just ******* awesome.

Cumberland obviously blew it at the end, but had been playing alot better tonight than before. It's really unspeakable what happened, so many reasons why we should not have been in that position. We could not make key defensive stops and costly TOs. Also unclutch FT shooting.

RE: Thoughts on this disaster - crex043 - 12-14-2019 09:36 PM

(12-14-2019 09:31 PM)jarr Wrote:  

Alot of chicken BOT members. No big time schools would make a run at Calipari for a long time. UCLA had a few opportunities to get him but never wanted to pull the trigger. UK passed on him, but it tool Billy Gillespie for them to finally come to their senses. Winning cures all. This program is on the brink of falling into complete obscurity, and doing in the G5 purgatory will kill us.
No, it's not. Certainly on the brink of being NCAA tourney-less, but this program isn't going into obscurity.

RE: Thoughts on this disaster - rath v2.0 - 12-14-2019 09:37 PM

Tuning into the post game to hear Lurch's comments on this.

Please discuss why Cumberland was freaking playing.

RE: Thoughts on this disaster - Ragpicker - 12-14-2019 09:39 PM

None of this crap surprises me at all. Bohn made zero effort hiring Brannen. And to quote someone on another thread - turned UC's All-American into the team Cancer. He is in way over his head, just like Bohn, and will not see a 3rd season at UC. But he is tall.....lol. He doesn't count deflections - just losses. Colgate, Bowling Green say goodbye NCAA streak

RE: Thoughts on this disaster - bearcatlawjd2 - 12-14-2019 09:44 PM

(12-14-2019 09:39 PM)Ragpicker Wrote:  None of this crap surprises me at all. Bohn made zero effort hiring Brannen. And to quote someone on another thread - turned UC's All-American into the team Cancer. He is in way over his head, just like Bohn, and will not see a 3rd season at UC. But he is tall.....lol. He doesn't count deflections - just losses. Colgate, Bowling Green say goodbye NCAA streak

For me it’s not the losses but how they are losing games. NIT is still the goal for this roster but even that seems out of reach.

I am ready to start over and rebuild with a real coach. If Brannen has any clue he would sit both Jarron and Jeavin Cumberland until they buy in.

RE: Thoughts on this disaster - eroc - 12-14-2019 09:46 PM

Was listening to an NBA podcast this morning and they were talking about the CLE situation with Beilein vs. his vets. The indication was that he was focusing on "his guys" while some of the vets feel disrespected for one reason or another by Beilein. Watching the Bearcats and Brannen reminds me of that type of dysfunction. i don't have any inside information about Jarron or his level of buy-in but by and large this is a collection of strangers trying to figure a lot of stuff out, whether that means breaking old habits and/or getting new ones. That said, Brannen is going to get at least three years barring any violations of code of conduct or terms of contract. i'm not saying don't be mad. By all means do you but realistically Brannen is going to be given every opportunity to fail even more miserably. But i'll judge him on when he has his ppl in place. Not Mick's even if Mick's lot includes a CPOY.

As an aside, on one level i truly feel for Jarron. Suffering an injury and having to adjust your style of play completely in your final year of eligibility has got to be jarring. Yes, he's a senior but university campuses tend to be insulated from the real world and i imagine athletes tend to be treated with more privileges than most. i wouldn't be surprised if he is having all kinds of problems coping with the change.

The flip side of this is that you're the effing CPOY and face of the team. Injury aside, you have to be a leader because you have more credibility than most. This season can cement your legacy as a Bearcat great and bridge to eras in Bearcat basketball history. There's still time. Hopefully he pulls it together by the conference tourney as it's not looking like we are going to get an at-large selection.

RE: Thoughts on this disaster - Romell Shorter - 12-14-2019 09:51 PM

Something that has been glossed over: What would a pre-season All America have to do to be suspended for a game?

Let's just say, if that player were named Rommell Shorter, would he have been kicked off the team for the same transgression?

Brannen is giving Jarron every opportunity to opt in. Will be interesting what happens now.

RE: Thoughts on this disaster - rath v2.0 - 12-14-2019 09:51 PM

(12-14-2019 09:44 PM)bearcatlawjd2 Wrote:  
(12-14-2019 09:39 PM)Ragpicker Wrote:  None of this crap surprises me at all. Bohn made zero effort hiring Brannen. And to quote someone on another thread - turned UC's All-American into the team Cancer. He is in way over his head, just like Bohn, and will not see a 3rd season at UC. But he is tall.....lol. He doesn't count deflections - just losses. Colgate, Bowling Green say goodbye NCAA streak

For me it’s not the losses but how they are losing games. NIT is still the goal for this roster but even that seems out of reach.

I am ready to start over and rebuild with a real coach. If Brannen has any clue he would sit both Jarron and Jeavin Cumberland until they buy in.

It’s a sloppy haphazard team way too often that doesn’t look well coached.

It’s a team that seems to spit the bit down the stretch.

10 games in and other than that this team has no real identity.