CSNbbs
Its fall of 2010 and B12 is losing 4 members. Why not add WV @ Louisville? - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: College Sports and Conference Realignment (/forum-637.html)
+---- Thread: Its fall of 2010 and B12 is losing 4 members. Why not add WV @ Louisville? (/thread-890282.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Its fall of 2010 and B12 is losing 4 members. Why not add WV @ Louisville? - billybobby777 - 12-12-2019 02:05 AM

I’ll always wonder why the b12 went with (MWC) TCU and (BE) West Virginia only.
It should of been WV and Big East rival Louisville.
Not another Texas school.
But if they were so hung hung on TCU...add them WV, Louisville & Cincinnati
for a true 12, Big 12.

Big 12 North
Cincinnati
WV
Louisville
Iowa St
KU
KSU

Big 12 South
OSU
OU
TCU
Baylor
Texas Tech
Texas
Damn fine hoops and more markets

RE: Its fall of 2010 and B12 is losing 4 members. Why not add WV @ Louisville? - UTEPDallas - 12-12-2019 02:54 AM

Because in 2010 the conference only lost Nebraska and Colorado. A&M and Missouri were still in the conference, TCU was Big East bound and the Big Ten just added a CCG with the addition of Nebraska.

Louisville was not going anywhere neither were BYU and Cincinnati. The Big XII was not in a rush to add them and nobody imagined the Big Ten was going to add Maryland and even then, UConn was favored to replace them in the ACC. Also there was a rumor (don’t know how accurate it was) Texas didn’t want Louisville and wanted West Virginia instead while Oklahoma was pushing for Louisville.

RE: Its fall of 2010 and B12 is losing 4 members. Why not add WV @ Louisville? - templefootballfan - 12-12-2019 07:22 AM

Spliting CFP money 10 ways. Mandatory to save TV contract was 10. Also heard Tex did not like Louv recuriting methods.

RE: Its fall of 2010 and B12 is losing 4 members. Why not add WV @ Louisville? - GoldenWarrior11 - 12-12-2019 07:48 AM

At the time, no one really thought Louisville was going anywhere, so Cincinnati/Louisville combo would have been there down the road - in theory. Maryland going to the B1G surprisingly opened a spot in the ACC that many thought would go to UConn. When it went to Louisville, it became a dead end for that scenario.

RE: Its fall of 2010 and B12 is losing 4 members. Why not add WV @ Louisville? - Fighting Muskie - 12-12-2019 07:50 AM

I would have like to see the Big 12 send the signal that they were rebuilding for the long haul and added WVU, Louisville, Cincinnati, and TCU after the Missouri and TAMU departures.

Pitt and Syracuse already had new homes lined up.

Rutgers would have one soon and UConn would have been grabbed by the ACC to replace Maryland.

USF goes back to C-USA and a lot of FCS schools stay in FCS. The WAC survives as a football conference.

The Big 12 for greedy and decided to leverage their network contracts for more money for waiving the pro rata clause instead.

RE: Its fall of 2010 and B12 is losing 4 members. Why not add WV @ Louisville? - BearcatJerry - 12-12-2019 07:54 AM

(12-12-2019 07:50 AM)Fighting Muskie Wrote:  I would have like to see the Big 12 send the signal that they were rebuilding for the long haul and added WVU, Louisville, Cincinnati, and TCU after the Missouri and TAMU departures.

Pitt and Syracuse already had new homes lined up.

Rutgers would have one soon and UConn would have been grabbed by the ACC to replace Maryland.

USF goes back to C-USA and a lot of FCS schools stay in FCS. The WAC survives as a football conference.

The Big 12 for greedy and decided to leverage their network contracts for more money for waiving the pro rata clause instead.

Sorry to point out the obvious, but it has worked out rather well for the Big XII.

RE: Its fall of 2010 and B12 is losing 4 members. Why not add WV @ Louisville? - RUScarlets - 12-12-2019 08:45 AM

I would eventually grab two more but I’d make the AAC schools compete with each other a lot longer and heavily invest in athletics if I’m the Big 12.

RE: Its fall of 2010 and B12 is losing 4 members. Why not add WV @ Louisville? - Gamecock - 12-12-2019 08:51 AM

(12-12-2019 07:22 AM)templefootballfan Wrote:  Spliting CFP money 10 ways. Mandatory to save TV contract was 10. Also heard Tex did not like Louv recuriting methods.

This was before the CFP though. That didn't happen until well after the 2011 season when LSU and Alabama made the title game.

RE: Its fall of 2010 and B12 is losing 4 members. Why not add WV @ Louisville? - Gamecock - 12-12-2019 08:53 AM

(12-12-2019 08:45 AM)RUScarlets Wrote:  I would eventually grab two more but I’d make the AAC schools compete with each other a lot longer and heavily invest in athletics if I’m the Big 12.

I'm still not convinced that UCF and USF won't be added at some point in the next ten years. Those two schools are just too huge and bring two major markets (yes, I know that isn't the end all be all any more).

RE: Its fall of 2010 and B12 is losing 4 members. Why not add WV @ Louisville? - IWokeUpLikeThis - 12-12-2019 09:21 AM

(12-12-2019 02:05 AM)billybobby777 Wrote:  I’ll always wonder why the b12 went with (MWC) TCU and (BE) West Virginia only.
for a true 12, Big 12.

Big 12 North
Cincinnati
WV
Louisville
Iowa St
KU
KSU

Big 12 South
OSU
OU
TCU
Baylor
Texas Tech
Texas

TCU was a home run add. Could've won a national championship in 2010, could've again in 2014. DFW market, SWC history.

XII should've add TCU/WVU/UC/UL. UH for backup if one leaves.

RE: Its fall of 2010 and B12 is losing 4 members. Why not add WV @ Louisville? - quo vadis - 12-12-2019 09:38 AM

(12-12-2019 02:05 AM)billybobby777 Wrote:  I’ll always wonder why the b12 went with (MWC) TCU and (BE) West Virginia only.

Disagree. Among those three, TCU was a given precisely because they were a Texas school, hence much more in sync with the cultural core of the conference and less likely to bolt like Colorado and UNL did.

So the only question would be WVU vs Louisville, and WVU had the advantages of being a state flagship and better at football at the time. And the Big 12 did need to rejuvenate its football appeal.

WVU is a very poor fit in the Big 12, but both they and the Big 12 were desperate at the time, it was the best either could do. Louisville would be a poor fit as well.

RE: Its fall of 2010 and B12 is losing 4 members. Why not add WV @ Louisville? - bluesox - 12-12-2019 11:03 AM

I’d go with this:

Big 12

E: Texas, Texas tech, Houston, Baylor, Cincinnati, Louisville

W: OU, OK st, KU, K state, I State, BYU

RE: Its fall of 2010 and B12 is losing 4 members. Why not add WV @ Louisville? - GoldenWarrior11 - 12-12-2019 11:37 AM

Boy, what if...

What if the Big 12 does grab Cincinnati and Louisville (after TCU/West Virginia), and creates a nice little Eastern pod for the Big 12. The ACC is now forced to take UConn to fill Maryland's departure. Does that push FSU/Clemson out of the ACC (and to the Big 12)? Does the B1G go Big and make another attempt at Virginia/Georgia Tech/UNC/Duke? Ironically, the ACC would have then been looking at Boston College, Syracuse, Pittsburgh, UConn, Virginia Tech, NC State, Wake and Miami; Perhaps the SEC then goes after Virginia Tech and NC State? It would have been a weird twist of fate if the ACC left-behinds pair, again, with the basketball schools to try and preserve a best of the rest league.

RE: Its fall of 2010 and B12 is losing 4 members. Why not add WV @ Louisville? - bluesox - 12-12-2019 11:44 AM

The acc might have taken temple, Houston, or BYU football only.

RE: Its fall of 2010 and B12 is losing 4 members. Why not add WV @ Louisville? - BePcr07 - 12-12-2019 11:44 AM

(12-12-2019 09:21 AM)IWokeUpLikeThis Wrote:  
for a true 12, Big 12.

Big 12 North
Cincinnati
WV
Louisville
Iowa St
KU
KSU

Big 12 South
OSU
OU
TCU
Baylor
Texas Tech
Texas

TCU was a home run add. Could've won a national championship in 2010, could've again in 2014. DFW market, SWC history.

XII should've add TCU/WVU/UC/UL. UH for backup if one leaves.

I always thought this was the right move.

RE: Its fall of 2010 and B12 is losing 4 members. Why not add WV @ Louisville? - Baylorbears11 - 12-12-2019 11:45 AM

(12-12-2019 11:03 AM)bluesox Wrote:  I’d go with this:

Big 12

E: Texas, Texas tech, Houston, Baylor, Cincinnati, Louisville

W: OU, OK st, KU, K state, I State, BYU

TCU was, and is, a far better add than Houston. At the time, the Big 12 should have added Louisville to go 11 for the sole purpose of disrupting the ACC. There was quite a bit of turmoil going on before their network and Clemson’s run due to the ACC’s traditional basketball focus at the expense of their football schools. FSU in particular was making waves over Maryland’s replacement due to the perceived lack of strength on the Football side of the ball. The ACC has two real prospects in replacing Maryland, Louisville and UConn. Many thought UConn was the choice until strong rattling came from down south and Louisville came out ahead. If the Big 12 had earlier pushed for Louisville’s inclusion into the 12, it would have denied the ACC their only football worthy addition and they would’ve settled on UConn. This may have been enough for the Big 12 to wedge the football powers away in a large conference jump from the ACC to the Big 12 with FSU, Clemson, Miami, and Georgia Tech all in the mix. Louisville by itself was fine, and even if the greater ambitions failed you would still have a good program and the ability to pick up Cincy or Memphis as a 12.

RE: Its fall of 2010 and B12 is losing 4 members. Why not add WV @ Louisville? - Fighting Muskie - 12-12-2019 01:04 PM

The Big 12 had a bit of false hope that somehow they could join the Big Ten and SEC in gutting the ACC and that in a model that was then market driven that the SEC would not double up in their existing footprint and that they would get Clemson and Florida St.

In the end, only Maryland left.

RE: Its fall of 2010 and B12 is losing 4 members. Why not add WV @ Louisville? - Baylorbears11 - 12-12-2019 02:03 PM

(12-12-2019 01:04 PM)Fighting Muskie Wrote:  The Big 12 had a bit of false hope that somehow they could join the Big Ten and SEC in gutting the ACC and that in a model that was then market driven that the SEC would not double up in their existing footprint and that they would get Clemson and Florida St.

In the end, only Maryland left.

Yep. And now the market and model has changed. It’ll be interesting seeing how everything shakes out after contract renegotiations. I think most conferences are pretty pleased ATM outside of the PAC and MWC.

RE: Its fall of 2010 and B12 is losing 4 members. Why not add WV @ Louisville? - XLance - 12-12-2019 02:32 PM

With TCU and West Virginia in the fold Texas' Deloss Dodds had Louisville in his sights......ESPN had other ideas.
Conference realignment comments begin at 19:30.

RE: Its fall of 2010 and B12 is losing 4 members. Why not add WV @ Louisville? - RUScarlets - 12-12-2019 05:40 PM

After Big 12 GoR, ESPN asks ACC to take a WVU and maybe a UC. Lock down ACC/ESPN for a longer TV deal for slightly more money adjusted for inflation.

Then the Big 12 can add UCF/USF/Memphis to finish off the AAC, who would take the top 6 from conference USA/Sunbelt (and there would be enough FCS and Indy schools to back fill the latter conferences at this point).

Every conference has 12-16 schools with two divisions. Then maybe it would be time to expand the CFP to 8, but I still don't see the set up, especially when G5 would be further diluted should expansion occur in some manner I described.