CSNbbs
This is the exact bowl game we need after that C USA championship loss - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: Members (/forum-401.html)
+----- Forum: UAB (/forum-448.html)
+------ Forum: UAB Blazers (/forum-384.html)
+------- Forum: The Gene Bartow Memorial Forum (/forum-388.html)
+------- Thread: This is the exact bowl game we need after that C USA championship loss (/thread-890015.html)

Pages: 1 2

This is the exact bowl game we need after that C USA championship loss - UABDB23 - 12-08-2019 10:22 PM

If this team was full of seniors who were leaving after the bowl game I would think this was a tough draw, but we are losing very few players. I feel, and I hope the team feels, that next year we can have a top 25 team. If that is the goal then there is no time like the present to start working on it. One of my perceived deficiencies is that we have not played strong competition. We will improve if we play, and even lose, to good and great teams. I hope we can start to upgrade the OOC schedule to have better teams on it. Even if it means playing more on the road. People get excited when you play good teams, that includes the players. The basketball game vs Memphis is an example, we lost but the team played much harder than Ive seen all year. If we plan on being a great program we have to play and eventually beat great teams. I for one am happy to have this game against a really good competition especially after FAU. I think we will be ready and will play a good game. Will we win? I’m not sure, but a solid performance will definitely get that bad taste of the CUSA championship out of their mouths. I would call this game the kickoff to 2020. Go Blazers

RE: This is the exact bowl game we need after that C USA championship loss - C-Finder - 12-08-2019 10:32 PM

03-yes 04-clap2

RE: This is the exact bowl game we need after that C USA championship loss - Ranger1386c - 12-09-2019 01:36 AM

(12-08-2019 10:22 PM)UABDB23 Wrote:  If this team was full of seniors who were leaving after the bowl game I would think this was a tough draw, but we are losing very few players. I feel, and I hope the team feels, that next year we can have a top 25 team. If that is the goal then there is no time like the present to start working on it. One of my perceived deficiencies is that we have not played strong competition. We will improve if we play, and even lose, to good and great teams. I hope we can start to upgrade the OOC schedule to have better teams on it. Even if it means playing more on the road. People get excited when you play good teams, that includes the players. The basketball game vs Memphis is an example, we lost but the team played much harder than Ive seen all year. If we plan on being a great program we have to play and eventually beat great teams. I for one am happy to have this game against a really good competition especially after FAU. I think we will be ready and will play a good game. Will we win? I’m not sure, but a solid performance will definitely get that bad taste of the CUSA championship out of their mouths. I would call this game the kickoff to 2020. Go Blazers

Excellent post. We need the competition, so that both our players and coaches understand the gaps between today and becoming nationally competitive. We benefited from a record perspective from a historically weak schedule this year. We did not benefit by growing on the field against equal or better competition regularly.

RE: This is the exact bowl game we need after that C USA championship loss - UAB Band Dad - 12-09-2019 01:41 AM

If we beat App St. we'll have by God earned a win. If we lose, we lose to a fine team that has had arguably their best season ever. No shame in that.

If you want to make your mark as a winner, you have to meet the challenges along the way. This is a tough one, so the guys need to tighten their chinstraps and get ready to fight for that win. This is a very young team, and win or lose there will be valuable lessons taken away for next season.

RE: This is the exact bowl game we need after that C USA championship loss - Big Dee - 12-11-2019 10:28 AM

Clark’s at a crossroad....

RE: This is the exact bowl game we need after that C USA championship loss - cb4029 - 12-11-2019 04:39 PM

(12-11-2019 10:28 AM)Big Dee Wrote:  Clark’s at a crossroad....

In what way?

Some fans expectations have become unreasonable for a three year old program.

RE: This is the exact bowl game we need after that C USA championship loss - WhatIsThisFeeling - 12-11-2019 05:39 PM

(12-11-2019 04:39 PM)cb4029 Wrote:  

In what way?

Say it a little louder for those in the back!

RE: This is the exact bowl game we need after that C USA championship loss - Ranger1386c - 12-11-2019 06:20 PM

Not at all.

Clark is miles ahead of where this team should be at year three of a start over from scratch program. He has fielded no year four players,’other than Dufour, yet.

After they have been through one full five year cycle on the field, then maybe there are some crossroads.

The new stadium should further boost recruiting into regularly attracting some four star-type players. Then they hit a crossroad of needing to start winning some of the P5 games to move into Boise and UCF territory on a national scale.

This year exceeded all reasonable expectations after graduating 35. But realistically it was also a historically weak schedule of opponents, which contributed to that outcome, and further elevated our unrealistic expectations.

Clark still has room to grow as a coach, particularly with regard to team discipline on the field and offensive line recruiting and development strategy, but he is nowhere near a crossroad.

RE: This is the exact bowl game we need after that C USA championship loss - HiddenDragon - 12-11-2019 06:30 PM

You made a funny....03-lmfao

RE: This is the exact bowl game we need after that C USA championship loss - Big Dee - 12-11-2019 07:32 PM

(12-11-2019 04:39 PM)cb4029 Wrote:  

In what way?

Not really when you take everything into account. Older guys, soft schedules, buddy system in play, and now a slightly younger nucleus. It’s a reason too we’re losing recruits and fans at the end of the season. Don’t get me wrong I love the winning but we can afford playing the softer schedules routine another 2-3 years, or a 25 point a game offense.

And I’ve learned to a lot of people are using UAB for pickems lately more than I’d ever imagined. Good to have interest on the guys whatever way.

RE: This is the exact bowl game we need after that C USA championship loss - B'ham Blazer - 12-12-2019 08:38 AM

I can with 100% certainly tell you that Clark is not happy have things are going (regardless of what he says publicly) , and I will also be SHOCKED if there aren't some staff changes made. Wait and see!

RE: This is the exact bowl game we need after that C USA championship loss - pbt140 - 12-12-2019 11:58 AM

(12-12-2019 08:38 AM)Bham Blazer Wrote:  I can with 100% certainly tell you that Clark is not happy have things are going (regardless of what he says publicly) , and I will also be SHOCKED if there aren't some staff changes made. Wait and see!

I'm sure there will be some changes. That comes to about every college football staff in the nation from year to year. There may be some personally dislikes where a coach feels like he will not advance and may change. But overall I think the coaches have done a nice job.
I did not want to post this, since some would jump on me like a wounded rabbit, but I really did not think we would have to a winning record. We just lost to much talent and had young players. But I am happy with the team's play. I actually think things are going well with the football program.
Then again, I am on the outside looking in.

RE: This is the exact bowl game we need after that C USA championship loss - BlazinBham - 12-12-2019 12:16 PM

We exceeded my expectations in the win column. I had us getting to 8. Didn’t expect the offense to be so bad that our losses wouldn’t be close. I know we have the talent. I don’t know that we have guys who know what they are doing on that side of the ball, to put players in positions to be effective. Nor can recruit all that well. Results said what we were getting when we scooped him up from a fired USA staff. Same goes for the OL coach coming from Petrino’s staff. Staff fired up there. WKU, the next season. Staff fired up there.

Give the recruiting coordinator title to someone else as well.

RE: This is the exact bowl game we need after that C USA championship loss - DragonClaw - 12-12-2019 04:02 PM

No. Don't think so. Getting blown out by a Sunbelt team is never good.
...and realistically that's what we're heading for.

RE: This is the exact bowl game we need after that C USA championship loss - Big Dee - 12-12-2019 05:10 PM

(12-12-2019 04:02 PM)DragonClaw Wrote:  No. Don't think so. Getting blown out by a Sunbelt team is never good.
...and realistically that's what we're heading for.

This and we’re the second best team in the west. We have our work cut out this class with 14 offensive seniors next year. Hopefully we see a great December early signing day and bowl game.

RE: This is the exact bowl game we need after that C USA championship loss - UAB Band Dad - 12-14-2019 12:19 AM

Going into this season I looked at the easy schedule and thought six wins was the floor for a non-disastrous season, seven would be very good, and that eight was all we could reasonably expect. We maxed that.

Bowls get us practices and reps that would not otherwise be available. The seniors will give up some practice reps to the younger guys, and they'll also get some PT. We also get the good press and exposure of a bowl game. Even if we get blown out all of that remains true. I don't expect a blowout, I think that we have a chance to win, but we have to play smart and clean, limit the turnovers, and use that stubborn defense to set up the offense. Above all the offense has to eat some clock, make first downs, and avoid three and outs and turnovers. A lot of that is in our control.

We'll see which team imposes their will.

RE: This is the exact bowl game we need after that C USA championship loss - UABFRENCHY - 12-14-2019 06:17 AM

question about the bowl ,,if a freshman play a minimun 4 games , can he play in the bowl game and still be a freshman next year

RE: This is the exact bowl game we need after that C USA championship loss - the_blazerman - 12-14-2019 08:00 AM

I believe the answer is no.

4 games is the limit.

There may even be a rule where you cannot play them in bowl game at all regardless of how many games they have played in.

RE: This is the exact bowl game we need after that C USA championship loss - josephblazer2770 - 12-14-2019 12:07 PM

9 o"clock game, Think, I will knot make. That's 6 on the West Coast. Oh, Well go Blazers another one gone. What in the Heck do you do in the meantime. Should of put a 3:30 time slot.

RE: This is the exact bowl game we need after that C USA championship loss - HiddenDragon - 12-14-2019 03:23 PM

I'm not going to be here bitching if the worse case scenario happens on the 21st. I only hopes Clark throw in some razzle dazzle plays and not play ultra conservative. UAB will have to throw the ball to even have a chance to make the game somewhat competitive.

We're outmanned and outgunned against this App St. team. This is David vs Goliath. We better bring our slingshots to this game.