CSNbbs
What Needs to Happen... - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: MACbbs (/forum-513.html)
+---- Forum: MAC - East Team Talk (/forum-463.html)
+----- Forum: Kent State (/forum-474.html)
+----- Thread: What Needs to Happen... (/thread-889002.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

RE: What Needs to Happen... - GoFlashes8 - 11-30-2019 02:52 AM

(11-29-2019 08:36 PM)Polish Hammer Wrote:  
(11-29-2019 08:02 PM)thanksjim Wrote:  Thank you Wikipedia for keeping things simple.

3 of the following teams can win to clinch the 78 total slots.

Boston College, Michigan State, Troy, ULM, Colorado, Oregon State, UNC, Liberty

Troy is the last game of the day and are getting crushed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019%E2%80%9320_NCAA_football_bowl_games
The remaining 5-6 teams and their matchups:

BC @ Pitt (7-4)
Maryland (3-8) @ Michigan State
App. State (10-1) @ Troy
UNC @ N.C. State (4-7)
ULM @ Louisiana (9-2)
Colorado @ Utah (10-1)
Oregon State @ Oregon (9-2)
New Mexico State (2-9) @ Liberty [6-5 but needs 7 wins due to 2 FCS Ws]

I’m guessing barring big upsets, Michigan State, UNC and Liberty win their games and maybe BC.

Troy got blown out so they are done. Pitt will win and Colorado & Oregon State will get smoked. Michigan State & Liberty will win big. I think Army @ Hawaii has bowl implications as well.

RE: What Needs to Happen... - Sultan of Euphonistan - 11-30-2019 04:50 AM

Army and Liberty have 2 FCS games on the schedule. FOr the purose of bowl eligibility only one of those games count. So for example if a team beat two FCS schools in one year and have a recored in total of 6-6 they would NOT be bowl eligible because only one of the FCS wins would count towards bowl eligibility. In this case they would be looked at as 5-6.

In addition to that army has another problem where they need to beat Navy to get enough wins but that game is after bowl selection starts. It is not currently known for sure whether bowls are able or willing to wait to see if Army wins that game to become eligible.

RE: What Needs to Happen... - Polish Hammer - 11-30-2019 06:30 AM

(11-30-2019 02:52 AM)GoFlashes8 Wrote:  Troy got blown out so they are done. Pitt will win and Colorado & Oregon State will get smoked. Michigan State & Liberty will win big. I think Army @ Hawaii has bowl implications as well.
Liberty played the pathetic NMSU team earlier in the year and only won 20-13; hoping our old friend Doug Martin closes that gap and helps us out.

RE: What Needs to Happen... - OLNWFLSH - 11-30-2019 08:58 AM

(11-29-2019 09:56 PM)AlphaFlash Wrote:  I don't want to spend all night lamenting what happened in 3 games. We did have the best season in 7 years, went undefeated at home, killed Akron in their preppy stadium and played strong against most of the other conference opponents.
I was truly entertained watching this team. Even sat through a crappy weather game. I don't think I did that since I was required to in band.
Agree that this was a season to be remembered - a very fun team to watch at least on offense the run defense not so much. Hope we can find a money team more beatable in the future. ASU was crazy this year losing to weaker teams and knocking Oregon out of the conversation. We were a surprise CMU was a shock.

BTW MAC run defenses litter the bottom of DI - BGSU gave up monster days to both UB backs yesterday.

RE: What Needs to Happen... - anti-zip - 11-30-2019 10:47 AM

A couple weeks back there was talk on here of Kent declining a bowl offer in we ended up 6-6. I'm assuming that isn't a possibility at this point?

I'm regards to the money games. I don't know if playing three of them made this team better or not, but I have a very hard time believing we gain a competitive advantage by not playing a MAC level team until the first MAC game. This year we got "lucky" in that Kenneshaw gave us a very competitive game that we were able to win. But in an ideal world that competitive game would be one of the money games instead. The finances aren't transparent so I can't say we do or don't need the 3 money games. I do find it odd that other MAC teams wouldn't need to but we do, but let's assume that we need them. I think most would agree that only 1 game against a NC contender is enough. You can still schedule three money games without being irresponsible about it. You might get slightly smaller checks playing Purdue instead of Penn State but it's worth it for so many reasons in my opinion. I'm already thinking next year hinges on Crum and McKoy getting out of Bama and Penn St healthy.

RE: What Needs to Happen... - Skinny Pete - 11-30-2019 01:13 PM

(11-30-2019 10:47 AM)anti-zip Wrote:  A couple weeks back there was talk on here of Kent declining a bowl offer in we ended up 6-6. I'm assuming that isn't a possibility at this point?

I'm regards to the money games. I don't know if playing three of them made this team better or not, but I have a very hard time believing we gain a competitive advantage by not playing a MAC level team until the first MAC game. This year we got "lucky" in that Kenneshaw gave us a very competitive game that we were able to win. But in an ideal world that competitive game would be one of the money games instead. The finances aren't transparent so I can't say we do or don't need the 3 money games. I do find it odd that other MAC teams wouldn't need to but we do, but let's assume that we need them. I think most would agree that only 1 game against a NC contender is enough. You can still schedule three money games without being irresponsible about it. You might get slightly smaller checks playing Purdue instead of Penn State but it's worth it for so many reasons in my opinion. I'm already thinking next year hinges on Crum and McKoy getting out of Bama and Penn St healthy.

Rutgers paid Liberty 1 million dollars this year. You don't have to play Alabama,Penn State,Wisconsin etc.

RE: What Needs to Happen... - thanksjim - 11-30-2019 01:48 PM

First game up starts at 2. Liberty vs. Doug Martin x2.

Go Doug Martin!

RE: What Needs to Happen... - anti-zip - 11-30-2019 03:00 PM

One other thing to keep in mind. We want current 6 win teams to lose today too. The more 6-6 teams there are the better our chances of not being one of the ones left out become.

RE: What Needs to Happen... - Polish Hammer - 11-30-2019 05:31 PM

(11-29-2019 08:36 PM)Polish Hammer Wrote:  The remaining 5-6 teams and their matchups:

BC @ Pitt (7-4)
Maryland (3-8) @ Michigan State
App. State (10-1) @ Troy
UNC @ N.C. State (4-7)
ULM @ Louisiana (9-2)
Colorado @ Utah (10-1)
Oregon State @ Oregon (9-2)
New Mexico State (2-9) @ Liberty [6-5 but needs 7 wins due to 2 FCS Ws]

I’m guessing barring big upsets, Michigan State, UNC and Liberty win their games and maybe BC.
Of the games already started
Liberty won 49-23
Troy lost 48-13
BC won 26-19
Maryland lost 19-16
OSU lost 24-10
UNC leading 13-10
Colorado losing 17-7
ULM losing 21-14

RE: What Needs to Happen... - thanksjim - 11-30-2019 05:42 PM

Oregon also up 17-3 over Oregon St at the half

RE: What Needs to Happen... - Muskrat - 11-30-2019 06:04 PM

There are plenty of P5 teams that aren't very good but that would still provide a good payday for KSU. Since games are scheduled pretty far in advance, it is impossible to know just how good they all will be. But if you look at those conferences, it is pretty easy to tell which programs are more likely than not to be a possible win. You wouldn't get the same total payday, but a darned good win with a realistic chance to win or at least be very competitive.

RE: What Needs to Happen... - thanksjim - 11-30-2019 06:44 PM

With Liberty, MSU and BC winning. All 78 slots are full

RE: What Needs to Happen... - burden - 11-30-2019 06:47 PM

(11-29-2019 10:42 PM)goldenflash99 Wrote:  We get in due to sheer number (or lack) of qualified teams. There are 78 slots and currently 75 eligible teams. 7 more teams could gain eligibility Saturday. Of those, 3 are double digit underdogs, and BC is an 8.5-point dog at Pitt, making it very possible there are exactly 78 bowl eligible teams.

Now think about this. In 2020, there are 3 MORE bowl games.

Soon everyone will get a trophy.

RE: What Needs to Happen... - burden - 11-30-2019 06:53 PM

(11-29-2019 09:29 PM)cleveland Wrote:  
(11-29-2019 09:09 PM)Polish Hammer Wrote:  How the hell do you play the same team twice? LOL! And a 2-9 team at that, one they barely squeaked by and then 2 FCS games. That being said, I don’t see them getting picked over us. We would each have 5 FBS wins, but we’ve had a stronger schedule.

REMEMBER ... selection has little to do with strength of schedule and a whole lot to do with 'politics.' --- Regional teams, teams that (wink-wink) say they will lock in so much $$$ --- teams with a 'profile.' will all get the nod when the records are the same.

Repeat SOS has very little to do with being picked for a bowl game.

Thank you. Everybody is talking like logical thinking goes into the smaller bowl selections. Only money and good ol boys matter. This isn’t the NCAA basketball tournament.

RE: What Needs to Happen... - Muskrat - 11-30-2019 07:10 PM

Burden, "money and gold ol boys" matter in the NCAA basketball tournament, too, only not as much and mostly subconsciously

As it is now, 61.5% of the teams go bowling. With three more bowl games, and the total number of teams staying at 130, it would be 64.6%. That will probably mean that many years sub-.500 teams will go, unless they allow two FCS wins to count instead of the current one.

RE: What Needs to Happen... - Skinny Pete - 11-30-2019 07:43 PM

(11-30-2019 07:10 PM)Muskrat Wrote:  Burden, "money and gold ol boys" matter in the NCAA basketball tournament, too.

As it is now, 60% of the teams go bowling. With three more bowl games, and the total number of teams staying at 130, it would be 64.6%. That will probably mean that many years sub-.500 teams will go, unless they allow two FCS wins to count instead of the current one.

Liberty's schedule is a disgrace.
They played New Mexico State twice, New Mexico U., Rutgers, Massachusetts Hampton and MAINE!!. Give KSU some respect for the 4 OOC games.
Even Kennasaw St. our " easy" game was good.

RE: What Needs to Happen... - anti-zip - 11-30-2019 08:08 PM

(11-30-2019 06:53 PM)burden Wrote:  
(11-29-2019 09:29 PM)cleveland Wrote:  
(11-29-2019 09:09 PM)Polish Hammer Wrote:  How the hell do you play the same team twice? LOL! And a 2-9 team at that, one they barely squeaked by and then 2 FCS games. That being said, I don’t see them getting picked over us. We would each have 5 FBS wins, but we’ve had a stronger schedule.

REMEMBER ... selection has little to do with strength of schedule and a whole lot to do with 'politics.' --- Regional teams, teams that (wink-wink) say they will lock in so much $$$ --- teams with a 'profile.' will all get the nod when the records are the same.

Repeat SOS has very little to do with being picked for a bowl game.

Thank you. Everybody is talking like logical thinking goes into the smaller bowl selections. Only money and good ol boys matter. This isn’t the NCAA basketball tournament.

This is uncharted territory for most of us. Honestly, I can't say I've ever paid attention to the small bowl selection process. By this time of the year every year we're wishing we could forget about football and focusing on basketball. What you're saying definitely makes sense... Unfortunately.

RE: What Needs to Happen... - thanksjim - 11-30-2019 08:35 PM

NC State 10 UNC 6 Halftime
Utah 7 Colorado 7 2nd quarter
ULL 14 ULM 7 2nd quarter

Army and Hawaii on at 12:30AM EST. Who is staying up for it?!?!?

RE: What Needs to Happen... - Polish Hammer - 11-30-2019 09:17 PM

While these are the last teams fighting for 6 wins, we’re going up against all of the 6 wins teams. We might be a better story than some of them, but still not holding my breath on being selected. Regardless, kudos to Coach, staff and players, you did well when your backs were against the wall and hope to see you build on it in the next few years.

RE: What Needs to Happen... - AlphaFlash - 11-30-2019 09:25 PM

Comeback Tar Heels. 20-10 in the 3rd.