CSNbbs
Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2021 - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt East Team Talk (/forum-289.html)
+----- Forum: Old Dominion (/forum-688.html)
+----- Thread: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2021 (/thread-887496.html)

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2021 - Gilesfan - 06-29-2021 02:00 PM

(06-29-2021 01:29 PM)Monarchblue Wrote:  
(06-29-2021 12:28 PM)ODU BBALL Wrote:  He appears to be a good player and a good addition to the team. My only concern is with the large number of guards on the team and the small number (3) of 4/5 players. They lost two 4/5 players from last season's team (6'8" Reese, and 6'10" Shanu) and replaced them with one 4/5 player (6'9" Morris). With Xavier apparently not returning, does the team still have another scholarship after the addition of Keyser?

Before someone chimes in and says that player xyz can play the 4, lets go with the natural positions of the players instead of playing them up a position or two. Perhaps Jeff is looking to change his style of play at least a little bit this season. Maybe an old dog can learn some new tricks.

I know you said just consider natural positions, and I kind of think that depends on the way that the team ultimately plays, but I don't hate Long at the 4, We have Kalu and Trice there to presumably start at the 4/5, Wade will almost certainly get some minutes there, and then Morris seems to be someone they expect to get minutes at the 4/5, so I don't think it as thin as it looks on paper, as long as JJ is able to take advantage of the ability to spread the floor when a guy like Long is at the 4. It also requires the team to be able to shoot which remains to be seen.

Im only concerned about next year when we lose Trice and Ezikpe but that worrying is a year away and there will be plenty of transfer big men (and freshman) available. This kid is too good to pass up no matter what you have on the team.

Ideally we add 1 more 4/5 but we lost 1 that played and replaced him with 1 that appears to be considered in the rotation.

I would rather play Long/Wade at the 4 than 2/3 bc of their lack of shooting. If you played them along 2 other players that cant shoot outside then it really bogs down the offense. But with Keyser along with Oliver/Smith, you at least have 3 guys on the floor that can shoot. Of course Hunter/Issien/Johnson/Stines/BOC are options and we really don't know how their shooting will translate next year.

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2021 - ODU BBALL - 06-29-2021 02:05 PM

(06-29-2021 12:41 PM)ODUDrunkard13 Wrote:  
(06-29-2021 12:28 PM)ODU BBALL Wrote:  With Xavier apparently not returning, does the team still have another scholarship after the addition of Keyser?

You can go over the scholarship limit but only for seniors returning to the same team for their covid year.

1. Hunter
2. O’Connell
3. Smith (SMU transfer)
4. Keyser (NCCU transfer)
5. Essien (fresh)
6. Johnson (fresh)
7. Ezikpe
8. Morris (JuCo)
9. Oliver
10. Stines (fresh)
11. Wade
12. Long
13. Open

Doesn’t Count Towards Scholarship Limit— Trice

So yes, they could possibly sign one more guy since Reese, Shanu and Alfis transferred out and we’ve only brought in 2 transfers. But they’d have to pay for that extra scholarship since it would go over what is budgeted.

I believe your take on it is accurate. I know that Jeff was hopeful of signing another specific 4/5 transfer guy and was waiting on some of his courses to be finalized. I think it would be good to have him for depth purposes regardless of how much he plays himself - which could be a lot. Can't count on everyone to be available to play every game and in some cases players end up missing significant time due to illness, injury, grades, leaving the team, etc.

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2021 - ODU BBALL - 06-29-2021 02:26 PM

(06-29-2021 02:00 PM)Gilesfan Wrote:  
(06-29-2021 12:28 PM)ODU BBALL Wrote:  He appears to be a good player and a good addition to the team. My only concern is with the large number of guards on the team and the small number (3) of 4/5 players. They lost two 4/5 players from last season's team (6'8" Reese, and 6'10" Shanu) and replaced them with one 4/5 player (6'9" Morris). With Xavier apparently not returning, does the team still have another scholarship after the addition of Keyser?

Before someone chimes in and says that player xyz can play the 4, lets go with the natural positions of the players instead of playing them up a position or two. Perhaps Jeff is looking to change his style of play at least a little bit this season. Maybe an old dog can learn some new tricks.

I know you said just consider natural positions, and I kind of think that depends on the way that the team ultimately plays, but I don't hate Long at the 4, We have Kalu and Trice there to presumably start at the 4/5, Wade will almost certainly get some minutes there, and then Morris seems to be someone they expect to get minutes at the 4/5, so I don't think it as thin as it looks on paper, as long as JJ is able to take advantage of the ability to spread the floor when a guy like Long is at the 4. It also requires the team to be able to shoot which remains to be seen.

Im only concerned about next year when we lose Trice and Ezikpe but that worrying is a year away and there will be plenty of transfer big men (and freshman) available. This kid is too good to pass up no matter what you have on the team.

Ideally we add 1 more 4/5 but we lost 1 that played and replaced him with 1 that appears to be considered in the rotation.

I would rather play Long/Wade at the 4 than 2/3 bc of their lack of shooting. If you played them along 2 other players that cant shoot outside then it really bogs down the offense. But with Keyser along with Oliver/Smith, you at least have 3 guys on the floor that can shoot. Of course Hunter/Issien/Johnson/Stines/BOC are options and we really don't know how their shooting will translate next year.

Percentage wise, Long (.280) shot similar to Green (.288) and Hunter (.283) last season from 3. Oliver was only slightly better (.308). The last season that Wade played he too was right there with Long, Green, Hunter, and Oliver shooting 3s at (.286). It was also Long's first year in the program so he may improve his second time around. I think the team will be better shooting 3s this season without Long or Wade playing the 4. Not saying neither of them won't play some there though as Jeff is going to end up playing the players that he feels like he can win with even if some of them aren't playing in their normal positions.

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2021 - BigBlueBobby - 06-29-2021 02:26 PM

(06-29-2021 01:45 PM)Blue_Trombone Wrote:  If we could get some more big depth I'd like it. Doesn't have to be a superstar but someone that can play 17 decent minutes a game would be good enough for a 1/2 year signing.

I gave up on that a long time ago! Not gonna happen.

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2021 - ODU True Blue - 06-29-2021 02:27 PM

Looks like we’re going with an 5 guard line up next year!

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2021 - BigBlueMonarch - 06-29-2021 02:31 PM

Height is overrated.. We need shooters more than anything.

Sent from my SM-G975U using CSNbbs mobile app

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2021 - Gilesfan - 06-29-2021 02:34 PM

(06-29-2021 02:31 PM)BigBlueMonarch Wrote:  Height is overrated.. We need shooters more than anything.

We needed good players, period. Keyser is a very good player. Smith is potentially a pretty good player. What the freshman will give us remains to be seen. With the development of our returning players and the addition of Keyser, it makes next year promising. Keyser might be as good as Curry (or better). But is more of a shooter.

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2021 - ODU BBALL - 06-29-2021 02:43 PM

(06-29-2021 02:31 PM)BigBlueMonarch Wrote:  Height is overrated.. We need shooters more than anything.

ODU does need to improve it's 3 point shooting, but height is only overrated until you need it and are coming up short.

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2021 - Nukesquad - 06-29-2021 03:03 PM

In regards to Ezikpe, he technically would have 1 more year after this season, as this past year did not take a year of eligibility. That being said, with the state of the transfer portal being what it is, his departure (and any other player) isn't out of the question either.

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2021 - mac - 06-29-2021 03:05 PM

Sounds like a really nice pick up. It's almost July and we are still adding players. Wouldn't surprise me at all if we add a big in the next month.

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2021 - mturn017 - 06-29-2021 03:40 PM

(06-29-2021 02:43 PM)ODU BBALL Wrote:  

ODU does need to improve it's 3 point shooting, but height is only overrated until you need it and are coming up short.

If I could choose to add only one to this team (or last years team) it would be shooters without a doubt. I like what Zip and Trice do in the paint but we really are a god awful shooting team.

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2021 - Gilesfan - 06-29-2021 05:15 PM

(06-29-2021 03:03 PM)Nukesquad Wrote:  

In regards to Ezikpe, he technically would have 1 more year after this season, as this past year did not take a year of eligibility. That being said, with the state of the transfer portal being what it is, his departure (and any her player) isn't out of the question either.

Oh yeah

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2021 - ODU BBALL - 06-29-2021 06:21 PM

(06-29-2021 03:40 PM)mturn017 Wrote:  
(06-29-2021 02:43 PM)ODU BBALL Wrote:  

If I could choose to add only one to this team (or last years team) it would be shooters without a doubt. I like what Zip and Trice do in the paint but we really are a god awful shooting team.

Well, Jeff has added several of those to the team as of today.

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2021 - Prideofalion - 06-30-2021 07:24 AM

Welcome addition! Needed another experienced playmaker badly. Looks like he plays fearless and he has some explosiveness in his game. Had a big time game at UNC last year. Those were some nice highlights. Shooting form not too bad either. Capable shooter but more than likely a slasher.

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2021 - Gilesfan - 06-30-2021 09:51 AM

(06-30-2021 07:24 AM)Prideofalion Wrote:  Welcome addition! Needed another experienced playmaker badly. Looks like he plays fearless and he has some explosiveness in his game. Had a big time game at UNC last year. Those were some nice highlights. Shooting form not too bad either. Capable shooter but more than likely a slasher.

He will def. take a lot of threes. Only Oliver and Hunter (on our team) took more 3s per 100 than Keyser

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2021 - bit_9 - 06-30-2021 09:53 AM

(06-30-2021 07:24 AM)Prideofalion Wrote:  Welcome addition! Needed another experienced playmaker badly. Looks like he plays fearless and he has some explosiveness in his game. Had a big time game at UNC last year. Those were some nice highlights. Shooting form not too bad either. Capable shooter but more than likely a slasher.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6sYNDhFdEY&ab_channel=ACCDigitalNetwork - has the one left leg sleeve.

He plays pretty big too. Definitely all of that 6'3" and sneaky fast on those slashes and good touch on that pop up.

Looks like a good 1 yr addition to me.

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2021 - bench jockey - 06-30-2021 12:51 PM

According to VC, we've made a bunch of offers in the last day or so.

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2021 - 757ODU - 07-01-2021 06:49 AM

Oh man what a get!

Smith, Oliver, and Keyser on the wing shooting the basketball! I love it. We have the POTENTIAL to shoot the hell out of it this year.

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2021 - ODUBB35 - 07-01-2021 07:59 AM

(07-01-2021 06:49 AM)757ODU Wrote:  Oh man what a get!

Smith, Oliver, and Keyser on the wing shooting the basketball! I love it. We have the POTENTIAL to shoot the hell out of it this year.

I hope so, but I'll believe it when I see it.

If Keyser can replace Curry's production, we're a top 4 CUSA team. If these guys can shoot, and Kalu stays out of foul trouble, we can be even better.

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2021 - monarx - 07-01-2021 08:18 AM

(07-01-2021 07:59 AM)ODUBB35 Wrote:  
(07-01-2021 06:49 AM)757ODU Wrote:  Oh man what a get!

I hope so, but I'll believe it when I see it.

If Keyser can replace Curry's production, we're a top 4 CUSA team. If these guys can shoot, and Kalu stays out of foul trouble, we can be even better.

The potential is certainly there, but I think Hunter's play will be the key.