CSNbbs
Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2021 - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt East Team Talk (/forum-289.html)
+----- Forum: Old Dominion (/forum-688.html)
+----- Thread: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2021 (/thread-887496.html)

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2021 - ODU True Blue - 06-06-2021 11:36 AM

(06-06-2021 11:04 AM)BigBlueBobby Wrote:  I didn't understand what they were saying about ODU not paying for the home field advantage? Can someone explain in lay men's terms. Thanks

Look at the baseball thread or the one specifically about the Bud. Geez

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2021 - bench jockey - 06-06-2021 01:28 PM

Lee to Penn State

Sent from my SM-G986U using CSNbbs mobile app

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2021 - Mo Blue Den You - 06-06-2021 10:12 PM

(06-06-2021 01:28 PM)bench jockey Wrote:  Lee to Penn State

Sent from my SM-G986U using CSNbbs mobile app

LOL

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2021 - Razor Ramon Monarch - 06-06-2021 10:42 PM

(06-02-2021 12:12 PM)odu09 Wrote:  
(05-31-2021 07:33 AM)BigBlueBobby Wrote:  a lot of you in here are critical of me for being so negative about JJ and his program. I feel the same way about you sugar coating everything he does or even doesn't do! If this is a LOVE JJ only site then I am definitely out of line. However, it is supposed to be about recruiting which ooses with negativity. Suggestion, why doesn't someone create a "I Love JJ" site so you can all go and talk about what a great man he is, how he runs a clean program and how winning doesn't really matter as long as it's ODU.

Nah, I'm not sugar coating anything. But I'm also not coming on here daily to post "JJ sucks" without much else either. It's so tiring and it's probably why this site is down to a few regular posters now.

Its down to a few regular posters because both football and basketball suck.

There is no excitement whatsoever and our university school spirit is flatlined outside of this most recent baseball run.

Our recruiting, or lack thereof, is just another nail in the coffin of a crumbling program.

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2021 - BigBlueBobby - 06-12-2021 10:15 AM

(06-06-2021 10:42 PM)Razor Ramon Monarch Wrote:  
(06-02-2021 12:12 PM)odu09 Wrote:  
(05-31-2021 07:33 AM)BigBlueBobby Wrote:  a lot of you in here are critical of me for being so negative about JJ and his program. I feel the same way about you sugar coating everything he does or even doesn't do! If this is a LOVE JJ only site then I am definitely out of line. However, it is supposed to be about recruiting which ooses with negativity. Suggestion, why doesn't someone create a "I Love JJ" site so you can all go and talk about what a great man he is, how he runs a clean program and how winning doesn't really matter as long as it's ODU.

Nah, I'm not sugar coating anything. But I'm also not coming on here daily to post "JJ sucks" without much else either. It's so tiring and it's probably why this site is down to a few regular posters now.

Its down to a few regular posters because both football and basketball suck.

There is no excitement whatsoever and our university school spirit is flatlined outside of this most recent baseball run.

Our recruiting, or lack thereof, is just another nail in the coffin of a crumbling program.

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2021 - Gilesfan - 06-16-2021 10:00 AM

Interesting that as of now, there were 1,663 players in the transfer portal. 580 of those in the portal have not found a school. I think the downside of letting kids come back for another year and schools aren't willing to take on the increased scholarships to bring in more than 14 kids.

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2021 - monarx - 06-16-2021 10:18 AM

(06-16-2021 10:00 AM)Gilesfan Wrote:  Interesting that as of now, there were 1,663 players in the transfer portal. 580 of those in the portal have not found a school. I think the downside of letting kids come back for another year and schools aren't willing to take on the increased scholarships to bring in more than 14 kids.

I wonder if some of these guys will opt to walk on at places? I could see a Big South level player (for example) that entered the portal and didnt get picked up then decide to be a walk-on at a place like NC State or even ODU. Wouldnt cost the school anything, and the player at least gets to continue playing D1 ball.

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2021 - Gilesfan - 06-17-2021 08:28 AM

Did anyone confirm that Ray did not commit?

I did a google search and there is no information on him at all. He might be one of the 500 kids still looking for a school. I did see that he retweed the Smith commitment (teammates at SMU)...do we know for sure he didn't commit? I don't think many people knew about Trice last year.

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2021 - mac - 06-17-2021 01:53 PM

(06-17-2021 08:28 AM)Gilesfan Wrote:  Did anyone confirm that Ray did not commit?

I did a google search and there is no information on him at all. He might be one of the 500 kids still looking for a school. I did see that he retweed the Smith commitment (teammates at SMU)...do we know for sure he didn't commit? I don't think many people knew about Trice last year.

And that’s one of the big problems I see with the whole program. No info at all to keep the fans engaged. No coaches show on the radio. No coaches show on tv. Remember the awesome blog Brendan used to do? None of that. No articles in the Pilot. Never much from Harry M. Just zip, no excitement.

Seems to me the team might be set but how would I know since the days of coverage of ODU basketball seem to be over.

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2021 - BigBlueBobby - 06-17-2021 04:34 PM

(06-17-2021 01:53 PM)mac Wrote:  
(06-17-2021 08:28 AM)Gilesfan Wrote:  Did anyone confirm that Ray did not commit?

And that’s one of the big problems I see with the whole program. No info at all to keep the fans engaged. No coaches show on the radio. No coaches show on tv. Remember the awesome blog Brendan used to do? None of that. No articles in the Pilot. Never much from Harry M. Just zip, no excitement.

Seems to me the team might be set but how would I know since the days of coverage of ODU basketball seem to be over.
This is JJ!!! This is his personality.

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2021 - Blue_Trombone - 06-29-2021 08:48 AM

ODU recruits NCCU transfer guard C.J. Keyser. Played for 2 seasons at Wichita State, 2 seasons at NCCU. Not sure of remaining eligibility.

https://odusports.com/news/2021/6/29/mens-basketball-jones-announces-addition-of-transfer-guard-c-j-keyser-to-monarch-roster.aspx?fbclid=IwAR3G4Ly7ZDGBd5YASlXogqqf941Ahx5HF255j8UPmkPpG-8unQ694csVgMI

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2021 - Monarchist13 - 06-29-2021 09:05 AM

(06-29-2021 08:48 AM)Blue_Trombone Wrote:  ODU recruits NCCU transfer guard C.J. Keyser. Played for 2 seasons at Wichita State, 2 seasons at NCCU. Not sure of remaining eligibility.

https://odusports.com/news/2021/6/29/mens-basketball-jones-announces-addition-of-transfer-guard-c-j-keyser-to-monarch-roster.aspx?fbclid=IwAR3G4Ly7ZDGBd5YASlXogqqf941Ahx5HF255j8UPmkPpG-8unQ694csVgMI

He should have just the covid year left since he played 2 at both Wichita and NCCU.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/cj-keyser-1.html

I will note that the roster has been updated and X is no longer on it.

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2021 - Gilesfan - 06-29-2021 09:17 AM

This is a massive addition. Keyser is very good.

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2021 - monarx - 06-29-2021 09:20 AM

(06-29-2021 09:05 AM)ODUDrunkard13 Wrote:  
(06-29-2021 08:48 AM)Blue_Trombone Wrote:  ODU recruits NCCU transfer guard C.J. Keyser. Played for 2 seasons at Wichita State, 2 seasons at NCCU. Not sure of remaining eligibility.

He should have just the covid year left since he played 2 at both Wichita and NCCU.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/cj-keyser-1.html

I will note that the roster has been updated and X is no longer on it.

I think this sounds like a good addition. A first team all MEAC guy who can score should be a help. Im sad to read about X. He deserved to go out with a full house of cheering fans. Without him, JJ would still be looking for that first NCAA and Monarch nation would be in a post season drought of historical proportions. Thanks for being a class act Monarch Mr. Green.

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2021 - Old Dom Swag - 06-29-2021 10:29 AM

6'3 1st-team all MEAC who is old (24 turning 25 during the year due to the transfer and taking a post-grad year). This kid might come in and dominate. I expect him to fill in Curry's spot admirably.

Oliver taking a step forward with Wade coming back and the big men contributing sets them up. Add in Smith, who can shoot and this has the bones of a team that will be at the top of the league and is a little more well-rounded to play a current style than the previous few versions.

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2021 - Monarchist13 - 06-29-2021 12:04 PM

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2021 - ODU BBALL - 06-29-2021 12:28 PM

He appears to be a good player and a good addition to the team. My only concern is with the large number of guards on the team and the small number (3) of 4/5 players. They lost two 4/5 players from last season's team (6'8" Reese, and 6'10" Shanu) and replaced them with one 4/5 player (6'9" Morris). With Xavier apparently not returning, does the team still have another scholarship after the addition of Keyser?

Before someone chimes in and says that player xyz can play the 4, lets go with the natural positions of the players instead of playing them up a position or two. Perhaps Jeff is looking to change his style of play at least a little bit this season. Maybe an old dog can learn some new tricks.

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2021 - Monarchist13 - 06-29-2021 12:41 PM

(06-29-2021 12:28 PM)ODU BBALL Wrote:  With Xavier apparently not returning, does the team still have another scholarship after the addition of Keyser?

You can go over the scholarship limit but only for seniors returning to the same team for their covid year.

1. Hunter
2. O’Connell
3. Smith (SMU transfer)
4. Keyser (NCCU transfer)
5. Essien (fresh)
6. Johnson (fresh)
7. Ezikpe
8. Morris (JuCo)
9. Oliver
10. Stines (fresh)
11. Wade
12. Long
13. Open

Doesn’t Count Towards Scholarship Limit— Trice

So yes, they could possibly sign one more guy since Reese, Shanu and Alfis transferred out and we’ve only brought in 2 transfers. But they’d have to pay for that extra scholarship since it would go over what is budgeted.

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2021 - Monarchblue - 06-29-2021 01:29 PM

(06-29-2021 12:28 PM)ODU BBALL Wrote:  He appears to be a good player and a good addition to the team. My only concern is with the large number of guards on the team and the small number (3) of 4/5 players. They lost two 4/5 players from last season's team (6'8" Reese, and 6'10" Shanu) and replaced them with one 4/5 player (6'9" Morris). With Xavier apparently not returning, does the team still have another scholarship after the addition of Keyser?

Before someone chimes in and says that player xyz can play the 4, lets go with the natural positions of the players instead of playing them up a position or two. Perhaps Jeff is looking to change his style of play at least a little bit this season. Maybe an old dog can learn some new tricks.

I know you said just consider natural positions, and I kind of think that depends on the way that the team ultimately plays, but I don't hate Long at the 4, We have Kalu and Trice there to presumably start at the 4/5, Wade will almost certainly get some minutes there, and then Morris seems to be someone they expect to get minutes at the 4/5, so I don't think it as thin as it looks on paper, as long as JJ is able to take advantage of the ability to spread the floor when a guy like Long is at the 4. It also requires the team to be able to shoot which remains to be seen.

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2021 - Blue_Trombone - 06-29-2021 01:45 PM

If we could get some more big depth I'd like it. Doesn't have to be a superstar but someone that can play 17 decent minutes a game would be good enough for a 1/2 year signing.