CSNbbs
Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2021 - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt East Team Talk (/forum-289.html)
+----- Forum: Old Dominion (/forum-688.html)
+----- Thread: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2021 (/thread-887496.html)

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2021 - Monarchblue - 05-25-2021 08:24 AM

(05-24-2021 07:18 PM)Prideofalion Wrote:  
(05-24-2021 03:40 PM)Monarchblue Wrote:  
(05-24-2021 02:36 PM)Prideofalion Wrote:  
(05-24-2021 10:26 AM)BigBlueBobby Wrote:  
(05-24-2021 08:46 AM)BigBlueMonarch Wrote:  I said it isn't all his fault, I didn't say he has no culpability. While he is ultimately responsible for his team, my comment was related to the players (like Shanu) leaving for playing time; mostly becasue becasue they (the players) have unrealistic expectations of how good they are, and how ready they are for D-I basketball. Oh and breathe it is just a game.

Players playing time is 100% up to the coach! I don't blame Shanu for leaving, would have thought more would also. Shanu is 6'10" on a heighth restricted team. Surely he could of helped just being on the floor. But that isn't JJ's style. So he leaves. No body else to blame but JJ

So the mindset is that the entire roster is supposed to play so that kids feelings don’t get hurt and they don’t transfer? I keep hearing people say this on this message board. How many people feel this way? What is wrong with this country? How old are you? How soft are we? This way of thinking is just unbelievable to me. Both Baylor and Gonzaga played 7 guys in the National Championship game. Tell us which programs play their entire roster to make sure everyone is happy...

I don’t know man. The softness and entitlement of just everything at this point is hard to stomach. It’s not just the kids that are soft and entitled. It’s obviously the fans and parents as well. We’ve got no shot. Y’all probably think I’m some old get off my lawn type guy. I’m not. I’m 38 years old and played college athletics. I know what it’s like to compete at something and not be given my playing time. Everything is just anti competition at this point and it’s sad. So I’m choosing this forum to vent my frustrations.

Its not a matter of EVERY player should play, and it is not a matter of playing every player in a game with the significance of a national championship games. It is a matter of being a little more attentive to when you might be able to get young guys who you think will play a significant role for you in the future some opportunities to get minutes in real game action when the situation allows. It is about not making guys just rot on the bench, except when there are 15 seconds left in a 25 point game if they are important to your future plans. You can find some spots. When you have a 15 point lead, give a dude a rotation. You can't convince me that ODU's season would have been worse if Brady got one of Green's rotations in most games last season. JJ is just stubborn, and that just won't fly with kids today. It is obvious to the kids when they are just sitting on the bench because it "isn't their turn yet" and like it or not, that just is not going to go over well with a lot of these kids.

To your point about being soft and all of that, I agree with you, and I hate it too, but you have to operate in the world you live in, and if you want to excel in college basketball these days, you can't let your stubborn disdain for the way the world currently is drag your program down. You, as a college basketball coach, aren't going to change the way an entire generation thinks, or the way the game is played today, so you have two options, go down with your stubborn old approach, or adapt and hopefully keep players around long enough to instill your values in them, but if you lose them after 1 year, you are not accomplishing anything.

I hear you. But I’m not even talking about ODU specifically. Just the entire mindset of instant gratification, it’s out of control. Men’s division 1 college basketball transfer portal is just an example of it. It’s going to ruin college hoops. I don’t see how anyone can expect to have any continuity at all. It will really just come down to a talent show and the P5s will have an even bigger advantage than they already do.

I agree, and in my opinion this all lays at the feet of the college presidents and the NCAA on the sports side. Their lack of vision, understanding of their product and balls has landed us here. I have posted this before, but basically the NCAA was presented with a crossroads when players and player advocates started making a bunch of demands and claiming that they are being taken advantage of by college athletics and they chose the wrong path, which was, and continues to be, capitulation. What they should have done, is doubled down on the value of the free educational experience that they are providing, but that would have required them to actually admit that they have failed in that regard and will need to recommit to ensuring that every student that steps on campus, athlete or otherwise, will be provided with an excellent academic opportunity, and further, standards for admitting student athletes will be reexamined to ensure that the athletes attending member universities are able to compete in the classroom as well as on the court. They would lose a few kids who never intended to participate in the educational side of the equation, but they could have strengthened their position.

I think the people running college sports, ESPN, Presidents, NCAA, do not understand their customer at all. I think they believe that if they take a stance that leads many of the elite talents to bypass college for the D League some other professional opportunity, that it will hurt their product, when in fact, the college sports fan would be far more engaged with slightly lesser talent that mostly sticks around for four years. The product on the court would be better in that scenario as well, but the people running this operation are complete idiots who ruin damn near everything they touch (looking at you ESPN).

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2021 - Prideofalion - 05-25-2021 08:41 AM

(05-25-2021 08:24 AM)Monarchblue Wrote:  
(05-24-2021 07:18 PM)Prideofalion Wrote:  
(05-24-2021 03:40 PM)Monarchblue Wrote:  
(05-24-2021 02:36 PM)Prideofalion Wrote:  
(05-24-2021 10:26 AM)BigBlueBobby Wrote:  Players playing time is 100% up to the coach! I don't blame Shanu for leaving, would have thought more would also. Shanu is 6'10" on a heighth restricted team. Surely he could of helped just being on the floor. But that isn't JJ's style. So he leaves. No body else to blame but JJ

So the mindset is that the entire roster is supposed to play so that kids feelings don’t get hurt and they don’t transfer? I keep hearing people say this on this message board. How many people feel this way? What is wrong with this country? How old are you? How soft are we? This way of thinking is just unbelievable to me. Both Baylor and Gonzaga played 7 guys in the National Championship game. Tell us which programs play their entire roster to make sure everyone is happy...

I don’t know man. The softness and entitlement of just everything at this point is hard to stomach. It’s not just the kids that are soft and entitled. It’s obviously the fans and parents as well. We’ve got no shot. Y’all probably think I’m some old get off my lawn type guy. I’m not. I’m 38 years old and played college athletics. I know what it’s like to compete at something and not be given my playing time. Everything is just anti competition at this point and it’s sad. So I’m choosing this forum to vent my frustrations.

Its not a matter of EVERY player should play, and it is not a matter of playing every player in a game with the significance of a national championship games. It is a matter of being a little more attentive to when you might be able to get young guys who you think will play a significant role for you in the future some opportunities to get minutes in real game action when the situation allows. It is about not making guys just rot on the bench, except when there are 15 seconds left in a 25 point game if they are important to your future plans. You can find some spots. When you have a 15 point lead, give a dude a rotation. You can't convince me that ODU's season would have been worse if Brady got one of Green's rotations in most games last season. JJ is just stubborn, and that just won't fly with kids today. It is obvious to the kids when they are just sitting on the bench because it "isn't their turn yet" and like it or not, that just is not going to go over well with a lot of these kids.

To your point about being soft and all of that, I agree with you, and I hate it too, but you have to operate in the world you live in, and if you want to excel in college basketball these days, you can't let your stubborn disdain for the way the world currently is drag your program down. You, as a college basketball coach, aren't going to change the way an entire generation thinks, or the way the game is played today, so you have two options, go down with your stubborn old approach, or adapt and hopefully keep players around long enough to instill your values in them, but if you lose them after 1 year, you are not accomplishing anything.

I hear you. But I’m not even talking about ODU specifically. Just the entire mindset of instant gratification, it’s out of control. Men’s division 1 college basketball transfer portal is just an example of it. It’s going to ruin college hoops. I don’t see how anyone can expect to have any continuity at all. It will really just come down to a talent show and the P5s will have an even bigger advantage than they already do.

I agree, and in my opinion this all lays at the feet of the college presidents and the NCAA on the sports side. Their lack of vision, understanding of their product and balls has landed us here. I have posted this before, but basically the NCAA was presented with a crossroads when players and player advocates started making a bunch of demands and claiming that they are being taken advantage of by college athletics and they chose the wrong path, which was, and continues to be, capitulation. What they should have done, is doubled down on the value of the free educational experience that they are providing, but that would have required them to actually admit that they have failed in that regard and will need to recommit to ensuring that every student that steps on campus, athlete or otherwise, will be provided with an excellent academic opportunity, and further, standards for admitting student athletes will be reexamined to ensure that the athletes attending member universities are able to compete in the classroom as well as on the court. They would lose a few kids who never intended to participate in the educational side of the equation, but they could have strengthened their position.

I think the people running college sports, ESPN, Presidents, NCAA, do not understand their customer at all. I think they believe that if they take a stance that leads many of the elite talents to bypass college for the D League some other professional opportunity, that it will hurt their product, when in fact, the college sports fan would be far more engaged with slightly lesser talent that mostly sticks around for four years. The product on the court would be better in that scenario as well, but the people running this operation are complete idiots who ruin damn near everything they touch (looking at you ESPN).

Well said. I completely agree.

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2021 - BigBlueMonarch - 05-25-2021 08:52 AM

Can we sign someone please? At least that way we can offer praise praise for a good signing, or complain about a player rather than everything else. So tired of the radio silence.

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2021 - BigBlueBobby - 05-25-2021 09:01 AM

(05-25-2021 08:52 AM)BigBlueMonarch Wrote:  Can we sign someone please? At least that way we can offer praise praise for a good signing, or complain about a player rather than everything else. So tired of the radio silence.

This is JJ at his best!

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2021 - Monarchist13 - 05-25-2021 10:40 AM

(05-25-2021 08:52 AM)BigBlueMonarch Wrote:  Can we sign someone please? At least that way we can offer praise praise for a good signing, or complain about a player rather than everything else. So tired of the radio silence.

Huh? Imo Essien signed. Jadin Johnson signed. D’Angelo Stones signed. Stephan Morris signed. Charles Smith signed.

That’s 5 signings for the 21 class. How many do you want? LOL

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2021 - MonarchManiac - 05-25-2021 10:41 AM

This thread is ODU at it's worst.

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2021 - bench jockey - 05-25-2021 11:04 AM

FYI, JJ's dad died on May 21 at age 81.

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2021 - BigBlueMonarch - 05-25-2021 11:15 AM

(05-25-2021 10:40 AM)ODUDrunkard13 Wrote:  

Huh? Imo Essien signed. Jadin Johnson signed. D’Angelo Stones signed. Stephan Morris signed. Charles Smith signed.

We have two scholarships to give, right? Is JJ really going to sit on both of them for a year? There has to be a grad transfer who can contribute positive minutes out there for at least one of the schollys?

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2021 - Gilesfan - 05-25-2021 11:21 AM

(05-25-2021 11:15 AM)BigBlueMonarch Wrote:  

We have two scholarships to give, right? Is JJ really going to sit on both of them for a year? There has to be a grad transfer who can contribute positive minutes out there for at least one of the schollys?

Im sure they would use scholarships for the right person coming in. Maybe they don't feel like forcing the issue. They are currently at 12 or 13 players (depending on who you talk to). Having possibly 2 extra players not included in the total may discourage them for taking on 2 additional players unless its a perfect fit.

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2021 - bluelight - 05-25-2021 12:06 PM

one or two more!

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2021 - Chillie Willie - 05-25-2021 12:46 PM

Let me see if I’ve got this right. We should sign 2 more players so we can have the maximum amount of players sitting on the bench. Then when those players don’t play, next year they will transfer and we’ll have a bunch of scholarships available so that we can complain about how many players are transferring out. I think like Giles said, it should be a super freaking good fit before we take any more this year.

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2021 - BigBlueBobby - 05-25-2021 01:21 PM

(05-25-2021 12:46 PM)Chillie Willie Wrote:  Let me see if I’ve got this right. We should sign 2 more players so we can have the maximum amount of players sitting on the bench. Then when those players don’t play, next year they will transfer and we’ll have a bunch of scholarships available so that we can complain about how many players are transferring out. I think like Giles said, it should be a super freaking good fit before we take any more this year.

Why can't we recruit players that can play? These are not kids coming out of HS. This is the time to get experienced players that are looking to get more playing time at another school. If they have any size at all and can run a straight line, they shouldn't have a problem playing on this team. It's just another example of JJ failing at recruiting.

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2021 - Gilesfan - 05-25-2021 01:36 PM

(05-25-2021 01:21 PM)BigBlueBobby Wrote:  
(05-25-2021 12:46 PM)Chillie Willie Wrote:  Let me see if I’ve got this right. We should sign 2 more players so we can have the maximum amount of players sitting on the bench. Then when those players don’t play, next year they will transfer and we’ll have a bunch of scholarships available so that we can complain about how many players are transferring out. I think like Giles said, it should be a super freaking good fit before we take any more this year.

Why can't we recruit players that can play? These are not kids coming out of HS. This is the time to get experienced players that are looking to get more playing time at another school. If they have any size at all and can run a straight line, they shouldn't have a problem playing on this team. It's just another example of JJ failing at recruiting.

Those guys with any size that can run a straight line have to beat out 3 other big players.

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2021 - BigBlueBobby - 05-25-2021 02:15 PM

(05-25-2021 01:36 PM)Gilesfan Wrote:  
(05-25-2021 01:21 PM)BigBlueBobby Wrote:  

Those guys with any size that can run a straight line have to beat out 3 other big players.

at 6'11"+ the door is wide open. and don't say there isn't any on the portal, there were some we just didn't go after them!

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2021 - BigBlueMonarch - 05-25-2021 02:32 PM

I can agree with that. I just thought the conventional wisdom was that we had to replace Shanu? That, and that we had one scholarship that was to go to a big or a sharpshooter who could hit 40% from 3.

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2021 - Monarchist13 - 05-25-2021 02:34 PM

(05-25-2021 02:32 PM)BigBlueMonarch Wrote:  

I can agree with that. I just thought the conventional wisdom was that we had to replace Shanu? That, and that we had one scholarship that was to go to a big or a sharpshooter who could hit 40% from 3.

Stephan Morris will easily replace the minutes Shanu wasn’t playing.

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2021 - Gilesfan - 05-25-2021 02:58 PM

Can we trust that Morris can play 7 minutes.....this year?

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2021 - ODU BBALL - 05-25-2021 03:25 PM

(05-25-2021 02:58 PM)Gilesfan Wrote:  Can we trust that Morris can play 7 minutes.....this year?

Better yet, can ODU trust that that will be all the minutes they will NEED for him to play this coming season?

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2021 - ODUBB35 - 05-25-2021 06:33 PM

Can Morris get enough minutes to help us to the big dance because that's all that matters?

If not, bring in someone who can.

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2021 - ziggy1 - 05-25-2021 09:19 PM

(05-25-2021 11:04 AM)bench jockey Wrote:  FYI, JJ's dad died on May 21 at age 81.

Sad for Coach Jones and his family.
Wish them well!