CSNbbs
Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2021 - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt East Team Talk (/forum-289.html)
+----- Forum: Old Dominion (/forum-688.html)
+----- Thread: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2021 (/thread-887496.html)

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2021 - bluelight - 02-10-2021 09:26 AM

(11-11-2020 08:29 PM)ODUDrunkard13 Wrote:  

Yes, JJ was a guard in college!

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2021 - bluelight - 02-10-2021 09:29 AM

(11-13-2020 05:21 PM)VB Monarch Wrote:  Our in state performance has been mediocre. No room for boasting.
I want to see the complete stats of these incoming guards for next year. Can they shoot tree's or foul shots?

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2021 - Gilesfan - 02-10-2021 10:49 AM

Man, I get excited when I see new posts in threads like this only to see a bunch of ignored posts. What a downer.

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2021 - bench jockey - 02-10-2021 11:04 AM

(02-10-2021 09:29 AM)bluelight Wrote:  
(11-13-2020 05:21 PM)VB Monarch Wrote:  Our in state performance has been mediocre. No room for boasting.
I want to see the complete stats of these incoming guards for next year. Can they shoot tree's or foul shots?

You could Google them and look it up. I know Essien scored 18 in his team's last game, a close playoff loss to the No. 1 team in their league. Team finished 19-6, wearing masks while playing.

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2021 - ODU True Blue - 02-10-2021 02:14 PM

(02-06-2021 12:45 AM)ODUDrunkard13 Wrote:  
(02-06-2021 12:28 AM)DaBigBlue Wrote:  thanks

Done.

To be honest the campus has grown so much prettier over the years. I certainly don’t want any players shooting trees on campus.

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2021 - BigBlueMonarch - 02-10-2021 02:37 PM

(02-10-2021 02:14 PM)ODU True Blue Wrote:  
(02-06-2021 12:45 AM)ODUDrunkard13 Wrote:  
(02-06-2021 12:28 AM)DaBigBlue Wrote:  thanks

Done.

To be honest the campus has grown so much prettier over the years. I certainly don’t want any players shooting trees on campus.

03-lmfao Bahahahahahaha Hug Trees, don't shoot them.

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2021 - Prideofalion - 02-12-2021 06:29 AM

(02-10-2021 09:26 AM)bluelight Wrote:  

The team has 3 senior guards and 2 junior guards. Who would you suggest the coaching staff replace them with?

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2021 - Gilesfan - 02-12-2021 08:38 AM

We should roll with the 5 center lineup

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2021 - BigBlueMonarch - 02-12-2021 08:48 AM

(02-12-2021 08:38 AM)Gilesfan Wrote:  We should roll with the 5 center lineup

You make light, but I have always wondered why people keep saying you can't have two big men on the court at a time? I saw a comment about ruining spacing? Trice and Ezkpe would be a tough duo inside.

We had Cal Bowdler and either Skpper Youngblood or Reggie Bassett on the floor together all the time. All three were 6'9" or taller, and other than Bowdler, they were all more comfortable under the hoop rebounding and getting the tough but necessary junk points. To have two guys that could play in on the block would be amazing.

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2021 - Monarchblue - 02-12-2021 09:35 AM

Roy Williams has always played with two Bigs and its worked out pretty well for him too. You do have to have a couple shooters for it to work, but really you need a couple shooters for anything to work. There is something to be said for rebounding and second chance points, and rim protectors. Not everybody can be Villanova, there is more than one way to win, despite what obsession with metrics would lead one to believe. Personally, I am not really biased to won approach or the other, but for JJ, who implements a stagnant offense, and has had like 4 good shooters in his career, it seems playing through the post and being physical up front would be more successful.

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2021 - bluelight - 02-12-2021 10:26 AM

(02-12-2021 09:35 AM)Monarchblue Wrote:  Roy Williams has always played with two Bigs and its worked out pretty well for him too. You do have to have a couple shooters for it to work, but really you need a couple shooters for anything to work. There is something to be said for rebounding and second chance points, and rim protectors. Not everybody can be Villanova, there is more than one way to win, despite what obsession with metrics would lead one to believe. Personally, I am not really biased to won approach or the other, but for JJ, who implements a stagnant offense, and has had like 4 good shooters in his career, it seems playing through the post and being physical up front would be more successful.

Trice and Klau both show start and Long should get more minutes. Greene played 42 minutes against UNCC, and had no field goals and 2 points. I pray we get Curry back, next year.

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2021 - Monarchblue - 02-12-2021 10:38 AM

JJ doesn't seem to understand that there is a balance between offensive and defensive contributions. If a player scores 15 points and gives up an excess of 6 points, that is a net positive of 9 points. If a player scores 2 points, and gives up an excess of 0 points, that is a net positive of 2 points. JJ seems to only care about the defense side of that equation. Obviously, it is a bit more nuanced than that, a player can contribute offense in other ways than scoring, and can effect defense in ways other than stopping his man from scoring, but the point remains. Their is a net offense effect that a player has, and a net defensive effect that a player can have and JJ does not care to balance that.

A perfect case of a coach doing this the right way is Bennet at UVA. This season they are not even close to the defensive team that they typically are because Jay Huff and Sam Hauser are terrible defenders by UVA standards, but they are also the two best offensive weapons on the team, so Bennet deals with the poor defense and adjusts to team that is going to have to win a little differently than they usually do, while working to shore up the defense over the course of the season. But at the end of the day, he plays his best players, and accounts for the fact that some players' offensive production outweigh their defensive liabilities significantly.

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2021 - bluelight - 02-12-2021 10:38 AM

Some time ago, it appeared ODU was in with Landstown (Donald Hand Jr.) however sports were suspended. Now Landstown is play class 6 state semi-finals and he has scored 37 and 30 points his last 2 games. At the time, it seem we were very close to getting him. Now with our 4 signed recruits, he will be a great pickup for somebody.

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2021 - Gilesfan - 02-12-2021 11:09 AM

(02-12-2021 08:48 AM)BigBlueMonarch Wrote:  
(02-12-2021 08:38 AM)Gilesfan Wrote:  We should roll with the 5 center lineup

You make light, but I have always wondered why people keep saying you can't have two big men on the court at a time? I saw a comment about ruining spacing? Trice and Ezkpe would be a tough duo inside.

We had Cal Bowdler and either Skpper Youngblood or Reggie Bassett on the floor together all the time. All three were 6'9" or taller, and other than Bowdler, they were all more comfortable under the hoop rebounding and getting the tough but necessary junk points. To have two guys that could play in on the block would be amazing.

For a number of reasons. 1 is that you need to give big players space downlow to operate. When you have 2 players down low clogging the space, it makes it easy to defende/double team/hedge, etc. Curry cannot shoot. Green cannot shoot. So CUrry needs driving lanes to operate. Put 2 big guys in and it will be impossible for him to drive.

If you have 3 very good shooters.....maybe you could try to figure out a few minutes per game for 2 big players (if 1 is a good passer from the perimter ala Denzel Taylor) but we don't have that. We already have teams that pack the paint and it would be even worse with Trice and Ezikpe on the floor together.

It is very easy to defense 2 players in the paint....which is why hardly any teams do it anymore.

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2021 - Gilesfan - 02-12-2021 11:11 AM

(02-12-2021 09:35 AM)Monarchblue Wrote:  Roy Williams has always played with two Bigs and its worked out pretty well for him too. You do have to have a couple shooters for it to work, but really you need a couple shooters for anything to work. There is something to be said for rebounding and second chance points, and rim protectors. Not everybody can be Villanova, there is more than one way to win, despite what obsession with metrics would lead one to believe. Personally, I am not really biased to won approach or the other, but for JJ, who implements a stagnant offense, and has had like 4 good shooters in his career, it seems playing through the post and being physical up front would be more successful.

When he's done it, he usually has versatile big men that can play on the perimiter. Ones that can at least pass, set screens, etc. while the other clogs the paint. They aren't aren't the ideal half court offense as they try to play as fast as they can in transition.

Trice is pretty useless outside of the paint. Ezikpe is more mobile but turns the ball over way too much to trust him to handle outside of the paint.

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2021 - BigBlueMonarch - 02-12-2021 11:12 AM

(02-12-2021 10:38 AM)bluelight Wrote:  

Some time ago, it appeared ODU was in with Landstown (Donald Hand Jr.) however sports were suspended. Now Landstown is play class 6 state semi-finals and he has scored 37 and 30 points his last 2 games. At the time, it seem we were very close to getting him. Now with our 4 signed recruits, he will be a great pickup for somebody.

You ever think that perhaps he told ODU thanks for the love but I am going elsewhere which may be why JJ signed other guys?

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2021 - DaBigBlue - 02-12-2021 12:36 PM

(02-12-2021 11:12 AM)BigBlueMonarch Wrote:  
(02-12-2021 10:38 AM)bluelight Wrote:  

You ever think that perhaps he told ODU thanks for the love but I am going elsewhere which may be why JJ signed other guys?

I'm guessing that, he has about ten offers from P5 programs. Maybe we can get a look, would be a great addition. He has good size for a guard.

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2021 - DaBigBlue - 02-12-2021 12:38 PM

https://stockrisers.com/s/203/four-star-junior-donald-hand-jr-talks-his-recruitment

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2021 - Prideofalion - 02-12-2021 12:51 PM

(02-12-2021 10:38 AM)Monarchblue Wrote:  JJ doesn't seem to understand that there is a balance between offensive and defensive contributions. If a player scores 15 points and gives up an excess of 6 points, that is a net positive of 9 points. If a player scores 2 points, and gives up an excess of 0 points, that is a net positive of 2 points. JJ seems to only care about the defense side of that equation. Obviously, it is a bit more nuanced than that, a player can contribute offense in other ways than scoring, and can effect defense in ways other than stopping his man from scoring, but the point remains. Their is a net offense effect that a player has, and a net defensive effect that a player can have and JJ does not care to balance that.

A perfect case of a coach doing this the right way is Bennet at UVA. This season they are not even close to the defensive team that they typically are because Jay Huff and Sam Hauser are terrible defenders by UVA standards, but they are also the two best offensive weapons on the team, so Bennet deals with the poor defense and adjusts to team that is going to have to win a little differently than they usually do, while working to shore up the defense over the course of the season. But at the end of the day, he plays his best players, and accounts for the fact that some players' offensive production outweigh their defensive liabilities significantly.

That’s completely different. Huff and Hauser hit threes with regularity. It allows them to play an inverted offense with great spacing. You can play two or even three bigs when everyone can dribble pass and shoot. You don’t see that at the mid major level near as much. If Kalu could consistently show that he can knock down jump shots then that would open things up to play him and Trice together.

I actually think Oliver is the key to the entire thing. He’s the only player on the team that allows Curry to operate in the lane. They dare everyone on the team to shoot jumpers but him. If he’s not on the floor teams just pack it in. As they should.

And UVA is still extremely good defensively. Maybe not the number 1 defense in the country like years past but still pretty strong. Their team defense and help D has been amazing over the years. Huff averages 2.5 blocks a game.

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2021 - Gilesfan - 02-12-2021 01:44 PM

(02-12-2021 10:38 AM)Monarchblue Wrote:  JJ doesn't seem to understand that there is a balance between offensive and defensive contributions. If a player scores 15 points and gives up an excess of 6 points, that is a net positive of 9 points. If a player scores 2 points, and gives up an excess of 0 points, that is a net positive of 2 points. JJ seems to only care about the defense side of that equation. Obviously, it is a bit more nuanced than that, a player can contribute offense in other ways than scoring, and can effect defense in ways other than stopping his man from scoring, but the point remains. Their is a net offense effect that a player has, and a net defensive effect that a player can have and JJ does not care to balance that.

They are a top 20 defense, its not like they are giving up much on defense. Which offensive juggernauts are we not using?